Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

What brands of clothing are unacceptable for relationships?

Would you date someone who wears Old Navy? J. Crew? What if they have a shirt from Walmart? What if they wear fruit of the loom undies?

by Anonymousreply 96October 14, 2019 10:19 PM

MAGA hat

by Anonymousreply 1October 6, 2019 3:12 AM

I’d be more interested in what they take off than what they put on.

by Anonymousreply 2October 6, 2019 3:25 AM

Confederate flag shirt or hat

by Anonymousreply 3October 6, 2019 3:30 AM

I don't have relationships with clothing.

by Anonymousreply 4October 6, 2019 3:35 AM

None, because I’m not a stuck-up cunt like OP. But as posters above said, designs do matter to me. I hate graphic t-shirts with stupid unfunny jokes on them.

by Anonymousreply 5October 6, 2019 3:36 AM

While I like nice clothes, I'm not enough of a brand snob to be that discriminatory—that said, there is something about Old Navy that screams "10 year old" to me. It just doesn't seem like a place adults should be buying clothes for themselves. Walmart is better than that.

by Anonymousreply 6October 6, 2019 3:58 AM

i hate cheap underwear. or if you are going to wear cheap underwear at least nothing that has a dumb label on it.

by Anonymousreply 7October 6, 2019 3:59 AM

Versace, Gucci, D&G, Louis Vuitton and the rest, just a different value set

by Anonymousreply 8October 6, 2019 4:27 AM

"embellished" jeans are a tough one.

by Anonymousreply 9October 6, 2019 4:30 AM

Anything that is not a caftan.

by Anonymousreply 10October 6, 2019 4:37 AM

I would never date anyone who cared about clothing labels.

by Anonymousreply 11October 6, 2019 4:59 AM

I saw the hottest DILF at Costco. As I was checking him out he bent over and I saw that he was wearing Hollister underwear. He was still hot as fuck but it seemed really off for a guy who was probably in his early 40s.

by Anonymousreply 12October 6, 2019 5:01 AM

OP = Anna Wintour, Supercunt.

by Anonymousreply 13October 6, 2019 5:03 AM

I had a first date some years back with a young dude who didn't appreciate the difference between my Dolce & Gabbana collection shirt and D&G. He was wearing a shitty (probably unlicensed) D&G logo T-shirt.

There was no second date.

by Anonymousreply 14October 6, 2019 5:03 AM

R14 Are you the OP? If not, you're perfect for one another.

by Anonymousreply 15October 6, 2019 5:19 AM

Ostentatious displays of wealth are very parvenu, OP. True Class 101.

by Anonymousreply 16October 6, 2019 5:25 AM

No Chanel, Donna Karan, Carolina Herrara. All else ok.

by Anonymousreply 17October 6, 2019 5:25 AM

R17, are you a man?

Cause if your dates show up wearing Chanel or Caroline Herrera, you've got bigger problems.

by Anonymousreply 18October 6, 2019 5:28 AM

That anyone who posts here would have such draconian sartorial standards is TO LAUGH.

by Anonymousreply 19October 6, 2019 5:30 AM

Gap, because it's most likely the "Gap Store Playlist" queen on here.

by Anonymousreply 20October 6, 2019 5:33 AM

R18 My God. Do you think I'm from NEBRASKA? Are you?

by Anonymousreply 21October 6, 2019 5:35 AM

Had a date with a guy who works at my bank. Handsomeish, slightly fem, but always in a suit. He showed up for our date in white clam diggers and these espadrille type sandals, and a really flimsy low cut V neck tee shirt. There wasn't a second date.

by Anonymousreply 22October 6, 2019 6:33 AM

Dunno about the brands, but a pink gingham or checked shirt paired with white pants and a turquoise belt are about as macho as it gets, and are guaranteed to do wonders for any man's career.

by Anonymousreply 23October 6, 2019 7:07 AM

OP types lovelessness and obesity and pretty much self-abuse.

by Anonymousreply 24October 6, 2019 7:17 AM

Didn't you ask if he was a bottom before the date, R22?

by Anonymousreply 25October 6, 2019 2:42 PM

My partners are required to be in the nude

by Anonymousreply 26October 6, 2019 2:48 PM

Cheap underwear is a total turnoff to me. Hanes, Jockey, Fruit of the Loom.

by Anonymousreply 27October 6, 2019 2:51 PM

I used to care about clothes in my 20s. Now that I’m approaching 40 I don’t give a fuck. I had some friends over this summer from NYC and they all looked like they shopped at the same store. Dark colors, short shorts and v neck t-shirts. No labels but definitely a look. One of them made fun of a printed t-shirt I was wearing. I know his bf never fucks him so I can understand the need to vent.

by Anonymousreply 28October 6, 2019 3:03 PM

White shoes before Memorial Day or afternoon Labor Day.

by Anonymousreply 29October 6, 2019 3:54 PM

After Labor Day

by Anonymousreply 30October 6, 2019 3:54 PM

I’ll wear my white shoes anytime of the year. Fuck off!

by Anonymousreply 31October 6, 2019 4:04 PM

Gap is the best!

Gap is made for all men!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 32October 6, 2019 4:09 PM

R20, Thanks for thinking of me before I made it to this thread!

Gap is the best!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 33October 6, 2019 4:13 PM

Garanimals. I have my limits.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 34October 6, 2019 5:01 PM

R29, white is appropriate after Easter.

After reading the posts on this thread, I now understand why I did not get lucky this morning. I got up around 7:45 AM, threw on some clothes, got the coffee and the other breakfast stuff ready, took in the Sunday papers, and was out door to a favorite bakery by 8:15. At the store, there was a fellow ahead of me. A fine looking example of Italian-American manhood. I eyeballed him. He eyeballed me back. At first I thought I might be taking home something beside a loaf of Italian bread (twist with seeds) and a pecan danish. But he appeared to look me up and down again, this time letting out a sigh and turning his attention away. What could it be I wondered! Was it my bed head? Perhaps my khakis were pleated, and he prefers flat fronted trousers. I left only with my bread and danish, already regretting a missed connection! Thanks to The Data Lounge, I now know why my would me assignation oh so casually tossed me aside! On my sweatshirt was emblazoned was the logo "Old Navy."

I guess I should cast myself off to the Justin Timberlake thread, another middle-aged man who does not dress age appropriately!

by Anonymousreply 35October 6, 2019 6:01 PM

Lol r35

by Anonymousreply 36October 6, 2019 6:08 PM

I like Old Navy for staples. Could not care less if others judge me.

by Anonymousreply 37October 6, 2019 6:15 PM

I prefer to judge people on their character rather than the clothes on their back. Works out for me!

by Anonymousreply 38October 6, 2019 6:19 PM

Old navy is the bottom rung fo the gap brands. Like H&M. J. Crew is above old navy brand more like gap or BR.

by Anonymousreply 39October 6, 2019 6:36 PM

I'm confused about "cheap" underwear. I mean, of course, I'm sure everybody has some special sexy underwear, but why are Hanes and Jockey bad for everyday? As long as they are clean and not holey, what's the big deal?

by Anonymousreply 40October 6, 2019 6:58 PM

Who cares?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 41October 6, 2019 7:44 PM

I just threw out all my Hanes underwear and replaced them with Jockey. So I didn't move up?

by Anonymousreply 42October 6, 2019 8:07 PM

Gap Boxer Briefs ONLY!!!!!!!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 43October 6, 2019 8:16 PM

Ivanka Trump, Ed Hardy, A&F...

In general, labels don't matter to me, but at the same time, I wouldn't want to be with a labelwhore or someone who desperately tried to dress younger than his age. Just don't try too hard or dress like a douche, that's pretty much it. And I really don't care about the brand of underwear...you hardly see it so gives a shit?

by Anonymousreply 44October 6, 2019 8:43 PM

Lots of love R35. Your posts are always such a pleasure.

by Anonymousreply 45October 7, 2019 1:47 AM

Nothing personal, R35, but I'm middle-aged: if I saw another middle-aged man wearing pleated khakis and a big OLD NAVY logo on his sweatshirt, I would assume 1) he was vision-impaired, 2) on public assistance, or 3) "special."

by Anonymousreply 46October 7, 2019 1:54 AM

Thank you, R36 and R45.

R46, I do wear eyeglasses, so, perhaps, your assumption there is correct, but the Old Navy sweatshirt is more fitted than "big." And you failed to critique my bed head! But while I do think I'm "special," I wasn't looking for public assistance at the bakery this morning. I didn't want a handout from that fine specimen of Italian-American manhood I encountered. I just wanted a handjob!!!

Wishing you have sweet dreams tonight!

by Anonymousreply 47October 7, 2019 2:35 AM

Oh, you're the other kind of "special," BPC!

Sweet dreams back at you.

by Anonymousreply 48October 7, 2019 2:42 AM

Listening to Hvorostovsky & Kaufmann - Pearl Fishers duet right now, so I should, R48!

Good Night, Sweet Prince!

by Anonymousreply 49October 7, 2019 2:52 AM

Personally for my better clothes I like Ermenegildo Zegna. For my every day working around the house clothes, K Mart or Farm and Fleet. I like Zegna when dressing up because there are generally no logos on the clothes, classic design, and fit me well. I am surprised how well some of the mass market clothing fits me anymore, tho. Lee Straight Leg Slim Fit Jeans do fit me well.

by Anonymousreply 50October 7, 2019 3:20 AM

R50 I didn't think it was possible for someone to have both Zenga and Kmart lol.

by Anonymousreply 51October 7, 2019 3:27 AM

^^^ Yeah, just where in Creation do you LIVE, R50, where you still have an open Kmart store to fulfill your fashion needs?

by Anonymousreply 52October 7, 2019 5:58 AM

R50 I like your style... regardless of where you happen to live. Though I appreciate nice clothes as well, I'm no label addict, and not unlike you, wear casual things from all sorts of stores: K-Mart, Sears, Target, etc.

I don't tuck my shirt in all the time either! I'm immediately put off by those shallow enough to make judgments about others' worth based on something as inane as their choice in clothing brands.

by Anonymousreply 53October 7, 2019 6:14 AM

I don’t think I see the world the same way as you, OP.

by Anonymousreply 54October 7, 2019 11:24 AM

KMart?? I buy clothes at Target so I’m not judging, but I forgot they even sold clothes. I forgot they existed.

What’s “Farm and Fleet?”

by Anonymousreply 55October 7, 2019 11:28 AM

[quote]why are Hanes and Jockey bad for everyday? As long as they are clean and not holey, what's the big deal?

Do you have sex? With other people? Okay... but you want to, right?

Right???

by Anonymousreply 56October 7, 2019 11:30 AM

It all depends on what you are comfortable in.

At first, my response would be "I would never judge anyone by their clothing choices" but then I saw posters listing MAGA hats, Confederate tees, etc and yes, shit like that would be a dealbreaker to me.

I wear shorts (weather permitting), print tees and sneakers for the most part. My boyfriend tends to always be in Izod shirts and khakis. We each have our own individual tastes and styles but we blend well together. It helps that we share a lot of the same interests.

by Anonymousreply 57October 7, 2019 11:39 AM

Who cares.

by Anonymousreply 58October 7, 2019 2:58 PM

I'm beginning to think we're moving away from brands emblazoned on clothes. When I check out the clearance rack at TJ Maxx, Marshall's, Ross, ect, I sometimes see a decent shirt, nice style but some stupid logo stamped or sewn on that looks like shit. The logo is why it hasn't sold. Hopefully, they'll take notice and stop ruining clothing by trying to run an ad campaign on my clothes.

by Anonymousreply 59October 7, 2019 3:18 PM

Jockey is a step up from Hanes. Not a huge step but a step. I find expensive underwear to be uncomfortable. I hate g-strings or jockstraps. Am I really gay???

by Anonymousreply 60October 7, 2019 4:08 PM

I have my 11 year old niece referring to Old Navy as Old Gravy. I always said Old Navy exists in case the airline loses your luggage and you need something to cover your ass for a day. Disposable clothing. They do, however, sell some decent zip up hoodies that are good for chilly fall evenings. Don't get me started about Hanes and Fruit of the Loom underwear. Yuck. I'm not difficult to please when it comes to clothing choices but you need to be somewhat up to speed on what is appropriate for underwear. There are many other brands out there that are far more comfortable and appealing yet within the same pricing tier.

by Anonymousreply 61October 7, 2019 4:09 PM

Anything from Hot Topic

by Anonymousreply 62October 7, 2019 5:42 PM

J Crew and Banana Republic are just fine. A single Old Navy shirt is okay.

by Anonymousreply 63October 7, 2019 5:59 PM

Fruit of the Loom underwear

by Anonymousreply 64October 7, 2019 6:00 PM

Sometimes when I wonder if a guy in the gym is gay and he takes off his pants to reveal Fruit of the Loom, I know he's straight

by Anonymousreply 65October 7, 2019 6:01 PM

Shirts with racist freeper slogans

by Anonymousreply 66October 7, 2019 6:02 PM

Ugh, you are a snob and a half, OP.

by Anonymousreply 67October 7, 2019 6:07 PM

I don't get the Old Navy hate. Yea, the tees and sweatshirts with "OLD NAVY" smeared on it are gross, but lots of stuff there are without any logo, shirts, plaids, athletic wear.

by Anonymousreply 68October 7, 2019 7:23 PM

Fruit of the Loom actually has some of the best-sewn, constructed muscle tees out there in their dual-defense product line. Can't believe they go for under $4 at Walmart. And at the end of summer, they had certain colors on the rack for a dollar.

Also, there's nothing wrong with a pair of old-school tighty-whities if the package is hot.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 69October 7, 2019 7:47 PM

For you Jockey, Hanes, Fruit of the Loom guys, just try Calvin Klein.

The design, fit, feel are all better

by Anonymousreply 70October 7, 2019 7:49 PM

Uggh. I associate Calvin Klein briefs with Tom Cruise in RISKY BUSINESS and other 80s nostalgia, and fully expect anyone wearing them to be middle-aged. And deluded.

Can someone name a preferred brand for undies from this century?

by Anonymousreply 71October 7, 2019 7:55 PM

The body makes the clothes. Some people can make Walmart clearance rack look fab.

by Anonymousreply 72October 7, 2019 7:55 PM

This thread inspired me to look up the best underwear for men, and GQ raved about a pair of $295 silk zebra-patterned Tom Ford boxers. Much as I dislike arguing with GQ, I'd think any man strutting around in underwear that cost that much was a pretentious twat.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 73October 7, 2019 7:58 PM

BE BETTER THAN THE GAP

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 74October 7, 2019 9:26 PM

I find Tommy Hilfiger boxer briefs to be super comfortable and they wash very well. Kenneth Cole not so much.

by Anonymousreply 75October 8, 2019 4:10 PM

[quote] Can someone name a preferred brand for undies from this century?

Nasty Pig

by Anonymousreply 76October 8, 2019 5:46 PM

Actually, Calvin Klein sold off the underwear portion to Fruit of the Loom, believe it or not!

by Anonymousreply 77October 8, 2019 5:47 PM

R77 PVH (Phillips-Van Heusen) still owns and markets Calvin Klein underwear.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 78October 8, 2019 8:22 PM

No conversational t-shirts. No logos blazoned across your chest or ass.

People who think they are superior because their clothes are more expensive are idiots. No one is impressed that you spent $90 on a white t-shirt ANTONI!!!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 79October 8, 2019 8:47 PM

What is unacceptable for a relationship or even a friendship is anyone who would give two shits what anyone else was wearing.

by Anonymousreply 80October 8, 2019 8:55 PM

R79 Oh, geez. How nuts is that. .. Target is now selling Jockey's recently-introduced "Generation" label of crew and v-neck t-shirts. White and black. They're quite excellent. You can get a 3-pack for $18.

by Anonymousreply 81October 8, 2019 8:58 PM

I don’t care about labels, but Jimmy Buffet/Don Ho apparel looks bad to me.

by Anonymousreply 82October 8, 2019 10:39 PM

I usually wear Hanes for daily wear, but I will admit to having a few pair of Ermenegildo Zegna silk boxer shorts for special occasions. Needless to say, pricey.

by Anonymousreply 83October 8, 2019 10:52 PM

I'm turning 50, and still folding clothes at The Gap, AMA

by Anonymousreply 84October 12, 2019 8:49 PM

What about Volcom? It used to be for skater kids. A guy once sent me his pic on an app, and he was wearing Volcom in his 40s. I told him it was a pedo look. He took umbrage and spent several messages defending his choice.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 85October 12, 2019 9:07 PM

I briefly dated a guy who dressed sooooo bad. He’s wear those ugly nylon gym shorts, a basic ass Nike shirt and sports sandals all summer. He was cute though and had a huge dick. Life is about compromise.

by Anonymousreply 86October 12, 2019 9:20 PM

Sounds hot, R86.

I only care how their clothes look on my bedroom floor.

by Anonymousreply 87October 12, 2019 9:40 PM

The guy was a huge dork who couldn’t maintain human relationship because of his online gaming addiction but he was kinda hot. He has a belly now though.

by Anonymousreply 88October 12, 2019 10:39 PM

Agreed R87, as I love silky basketball shorts...especially if the owner is hung and freeballing. Sandals on blokes are sexy too if they have nice feet.

by Anonymousreply 89October 14, 2019 9:26 PM

[quote]Old navy is the bottom rung fo the gap brands.

Old Navy will no longer be a GAP soon

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 90October 14, 2019 9:37 PM

the quality is similar, the design isn't as good but I have purchased old navy for nephews and nieces since they grow so fast and no need to buy them the best coz they are too young to appreciate expensive items.

by Anonymousreply 91October 14, 2019 9:42 PM

MAGA anything

by Anonymousreply 92October 14, 2019 9:43 PM

Grandpa or Grandma Underwear.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 93October 14, 2019 9:46 PM

Leisure Suits

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 94October 14, 2019 9:47 PM

This

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 95October 14, 2019 10:13 PM

I don't think Ed Hardy is popular anymore...not for at least a decade.

by Anonymousreply 96October 14, 2019 10:19 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!