Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Barking dogs

How do you deal with 1) idiot neighbors who let their dogs out to bark all night and 2) the dogs themselves? Poison, murder, and arson are not options, unfortunately.

At times like this I yearn to live on a tall hill, far away from other humans and their pets.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 102December 29, 2019 12:45 AM

Stop being a wimp and confront the neighbor assholes!

by Anonymousreply 1October 6, 2019 2:09 AM

Ugh, I feel your pain OP. I remember for several years I had an asshole neighbor that let their dog bark all the time and everyone in the neighborhood HATED the assholes in that house. Luckily the asshole moved eventually.

by Anonymousreply 2October 6, 2019 2:10 AM

In the past year or so my neighbor got a puppy who turned into an idiot barking dog, and people moved into the house directly across from me with 2 barking Bulldogs. My quiet street sounds like a ghetto. It's not like it one happens when they're out. Today they were home and the dogs were non stop in the back yard.

by Anonymousreply 3October 6, 2019 2:10 AM

I have new neighbors who have barking dogs too.

by Anonymousreply 4October 6, 2019 2:12 AM

There need to be more laws about people letting their dogs bark outside for long periods of time because not everyone wants to hear that shit.

by Anonymousreply 5October 6, 2019 2:13 AM

This is one of the reasons I’m considering living in the country. I’m sick of all the irritating noises in regular neighborhoods.

by Anonymousreply 6October 6, 2019 2:14 AM

There's different degrees of poison, OP. Doesn't have to kill the dog....just enough to make it throw up all over their kitchen floor.

by Anonymousreply 7October 6, 2019 2:16 AM

We live in the country, R7, and it doesn't matter. Asshats a quarter mile down the road has a dog that's outside 16 hours a day, and it barks every 3 seconds the whole time.

by Anonymousreply 8October 6, 2019 2:19 AM

Why not just poison it?

by Anonymousreply 9October 6, 2019 2:25 AM

R8 Oh then in that case I’ll pass on that. I’m not going to mow a big ass yard if I’ll hear the same shit that people hear in a regular neighborhood.

by Anonymousreply 10October 6, 2019 2:28 AM

A friend from New Zealand once said to me: What's wrong with people here? In New Zealand, if a neighbor complains, the police leave a warning. If it happens again, they take the dog away. I nearly started crying at the thought that this awful, chronic problem could be dealt with so simply and sensibly.

by Anonymousreply 11October 6, 2019 2:32 AM

I've reported a dog to the police before and because the neighbor wasn't home at the time the officer showed up (while the dog was still barking all night), they told me they couldn't do anything.

by Anonymousreply 12October 6, 2019 2:46 AM

Is if possible they don’t know the barking is a nuisance to the whole neighborhood? Start with a friemdlt conversation....

by Anonymousreply 13October 6, 2019 3:14 AM

You must choose, Sophie.

Ask your neighbor or call the city. You can’t really do both without potential trouble.

The only time I had an issue, I called the city. The neighbor did figured it was me, but no reprisals. Don’t remember if it was effective,

by Anonymousreply 14October 6, 2019 3:20 AM

If they got it as a security alarm, it's useless if it barks at everything.

Now that the weather is cooling off, maybe keep your windows closed and use some good ear plugs? Turn on some white noise like a fan? And if you can sleep with music playing, try that.

by Anonymousreply 15October 6, 2019 3:48 AM

Document the barking for a week, and then go to your city hall/city council member and ask how to proceed.

by Anonymousreply 16October 6, 2019 4:17 AM

Story time. When I lived in suburbia some of my neighbors had dogs. I was not friends with these neighbors, but was cordial. The neighbors behind me would let their dog out at night into their fenced in backyard and it would start barking and not stop. I mentioned that if I opened my windows all I heard was barking. Would they please call the dog in when it starts to bark. They agreed, problem solved. Well, about two weeks later doggy was outside barking for an hour. They didn’t call it inside. Now I digress. My partner got on this kick of recording sounds....roller coasters, the ocean, birds singing in a park and....the city dog pound. He put all these sounds on CD’s for future reference. After an hour and half of barking I got our portable CD player, asked him for his dog pound CD, put the player on the patio, cranked up the volume to 10 and let it play for 45 minutes. We could hear dogs barking three streets away. Never had a problem with the neighbors dog after that. The first woof and he was in their house. As the late great Ms. Crawford said, “ don’t fuck with me fellas....”

by Anonymousreply 17October 6, 2019 4:22 AM

I'll take barking dogs over Mexicans blasting their shit music any fucking day.

by Anonymousreply 18October 6, 2019 4:28 AM

You have to document (date and time) plus record audio at least. Audio/video would be better. Look at the law, which might require a certain number of times within a certain # of days. Report to police and turn over copies if your recordings and logs.

by Anonymousreply 19October 6, 2019 4:57 AM

Call the police. Almost every town has noise nuisance laws that include barking dogs.

by Anonymousreply 20October 6, 2019 5:04 AM

[quote]I'll take barking dogs over Mexicans blasting their shit music any fucking day.

What does it matter what their ethnicity is, or what kind of music they're blasting, if your objection is simply that your neighbors are playing music too loudly?

by Anonymousreply 21October 6, 2019 5:16 AM

Sometimes playing Yoko Ono's vocalizations until the dogs can't take it works. It worked with neighbors in an apt building who listened to Deep House 24 x 7.

by Anonymousreply 22October 6, 2019 5:17 AM

Sometimes playing Yoko Ono's vocalizations until the dogs can't take it works. It worked with neighbors in an apt building who listened to Deep House 24 x 7.

by Anonymousreply 23October 6, 2019 5:17 AM

Older generation of antihistamines, ie chlorpheniramine or diphenhydramine, will do the trick. Dogs will just sleep.

by Anonymousreply 24October 6, 2019 5:28 AM

I had to deal with this nightmare scenario when I lived in Vegas (where everyone is crammed in on postage stamp-sized lots). Next door neighbor left their giant dog out in their tiny "yard" 24/7. After a week of being woken up by that fucking thing I seriously started considering poisoning it. I did leave what I thought was an anonymous note on their door one morning telling them to shut their fucking dog up only for the truant kid who lived there to scribble "FUCK YOU" over it and tape it back on my door. I called animal control only to be given the runaround. It "wasn't their job" apparently! I was too scared of legal issues if I were to poison the thing (plus it really wasn't the dog's fault, it was the owner's fault for leaving it outside) so I began contemplating unlatching their gate so that they dog could get out and run away, hopefully never to return. Ultimately though I just moved the fuck out and vowed never--EVER--to live in a neighborhood with tiny lot sizes ever again. Over my dead fucking body. Humans are such inconsiderate cunts.

by Anonymousreply 25October 6, 2019 5:40 AM

Check your city or county noise ordinance. There may be a provision covering barking dogs. There’s one in my town. I know because I’ve called the authorities on a neighbor that let their dog howl all day. So fucking rude and ridiculous.

by Anonymousreply 26October 6, 2019 5:42 AM

Solved! I have a yappy little dog who would get set off by the neighbors dogs, and I tried many things to stop that cycle. Finally stumbled upon a cheap gizmo on Amazon that makes a high pitched (only the dogs hear) noise when they bark. You can set it to high and put it near the neighbors. The dogs hate it and shut up immediately. I’ve used it only for 15 minutes or so at a time because I’m worried it will hurt the dogs ears or something, but the lesson stays for a couple of days.

by Anonymousreply 27October 6, 2019 5:50 AM

Buy a dog whistle, and any time it starts barking breathe as loudly as you can into it until it stops. If that doesn’t work, the city won’t handle it, and your neighbors continue to be cunts then maybe you should just poison it.

by Anonymousreply 28October 6, 2019 5:58 AM

Forget the dog, can I get rid of my neighbor instead? He's currently sitting on the floor in the hallway outside his door like a cat waiting for its owner. We are talking about a 30 story high-rise here not some ghetto porch. He is totally pussy whipped. Iv seen those same people do that to the actual cat. Who locks their own pet out of their unit in a building like that? Seriously?

by Anonymousreply 29October 6, 2019 6:16 AM

Are there people who get dogs with the expectation they'll bark to drive people around them nuts? Or get them without thinking the animals will need stimulation, companionship and exercise? Why can't those kinds of people be euthanized?

by Anonymousreply 30October 6, 2019 6:21 AM

Fuck all of you who are talking about drugging or poisoning the dogs.

by Anonymousreply 31October 6, 2019 6:31 AM

R29 he was locked out by the other people living in the apartment?

by Anonymousreply 32October 6, 2019 6:43 AM

[quote]I'll take barking dogs over Mexicans blasting their shit music any fucking day.

Most Mexicans blast shit music AND have barking dogs AND screaming kids that run around like wild animals. They have no manners.

by Anonymousreply 33October 6, 2019 7:03 AM

I don’t understand R29’s scenario. Meaning a dog or a grown man is sitting in the hallway?

by Anonymousreply 34October 6, 2019 7:04 AM

R33 types dumb and poor and blames the Mexicans for it.

by Anonymousreply 35October 6, 2019 7:49 AM

My boss told us he didn't sleep all night because of a barking dog, the next day the same story. He was looking really haggard from sleep deprivation and by the third day he was mentally wiped out. Finally he freaked one night and chased the dog into it's dog house and nailed plywood over part of the door. He found out his neighbor was practically deaf when he removed his hearing aid at night and had no idea his dog barked all night.

My boss was so pissed that his wife could sleep through all of the noise.

by Anonymousreply 36October 6, 2019 8:05 AM

Isn't the Mosquito alarm quite expensive and dangerous? Old fat farts around here won't shake a pound of fat on their butts, but young hot twinks under 25 will be harmed, won't they?

by Anonymousreply 37October 6, 2019 8:06 AM

Can't you just shoot them? After all this is America.

by Anonymousreply 38October 6, 2019 8:14 AM

Link to the device, R27?

by Anonymousreply 39October 6, 2019 8:14 AM

Hey R33 !!

My Mexican hates the loud music.

BTW it is Cubans in Florida that pull the same stunt with the ancient boom box at the beach.

by Anonymousreply 40October 6, 2019 8:39 AM

I sentence Mr. Sensitive at R21 to two years of involuntary confinement in the barrio.

by Anonymousreply 41October 6, 2019 9:56 AM

R35 has never had the infamous Mexican bounce house party happening next door to him at 1am on a weeknight.

by Anonymousreply 42October 6, 2019 3:13 PM

R42 sorry I am not poor.

by Anonymousreply 43October 6, 2019 3:16 PM

Neither are most of people in this neighborhood, shithead.

by Anonymousreply 44October 6, 2019 3:25 PM

I want help with these barking dogs inside the very ill-fitting but so damn cute shoes I love.

by Anonymousreply 45October 6, 2019 4:13 PM

Try one of these.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 46October 6, 2019 4:34 PM

I will share the advice a police officer gave me. Under no circumstances, do you let the offending dog owner know you hate their dog. If you see them out with the dog, act as if you love having them and the dog as neighbors. Do what you must to remedy the situation, but keep your actions private. People are vindictive and sometimes a little crazy.

by Anonymousreply 47October 6, 2019 4:52 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 48October 6, 2019 4:57 PM

R48 You beat me to it.

by Anonymousreply 49October 6, 2019 7:51 PM

OP consider living in a HOA where dogs are not allowed to be chained up, and dog houses are not allowed.

Not a problem where I live now because it is an HOA and dogs are not allowed to be chained up outside all day long. Lots of people have dogs and they walk them when the dog needs to be walked. This is one time the HOA can be a blessing. Rarely do I ever heard a barking dog and if I do hear one it isn't for very long and never at night.

Where I lived before it was a problem, people right next door would chain the dog outside in the evening and leave it there all night long and of course it would bark all night long. I would call them, of course they wouldn't answer, I would leave a message about their dog barking and they would bring it in. Few nights later it would happen again, I would call, they wouldn't answer, but they would bring the dog in. Finally when I got fed up I called late at night and said, your dog is barking, my next call will be to the police if it happens again. They never left the dog out at night again.

by Anonymousreply 50October 6, 2019 8:05 PM

R30, my partner's father and his wife, she's fat, he's feeble, and they got a 100# dog they never play with or walk, that they let jump on everyone. It is because it is "the kind of dog they've always had, and it was such a cuuuuuuuute puppy". I hate that I loathe the dog.

by Anonymousreply 51October 6, 2019 8:09 PM

R47 Doesn't work everywhere. I live in a county that will accept complaints, but your name is immediately turned over to the dog's owner as the complainer. They refuse to take anonymous complaints. As a result, we haven't filed a formal complaint.

by Anonymousreply 52October 6, 2019 9:56 PM

R31 Agree 100%

Anyone considering poisoning or drugging the dogs should rot in hell. It’s not the dogs’ fault the owners are inconsiderate morons.

Second the “blasting a barking dog soundtrack” suggestion mentioned above. It works like a charm.

by Anonymousreply 53October 6, 2019 10:20 PM

Just for perspective.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 54October 6, 2019 10:22 PM

Just for Perspective.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 55October 6, 2019 10:25 PM

R52, do they require ID? If not, why not just use a fake name and/or some near address like the local Pizza Hut? I mean, if it worked for Roseanne against the IRS, it could work for you.

by Anonymousreply 56October 6, 2019 10:46 PM

Meanwhile

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 57October 6, 2019 10:51 PM

All you anti dog freaks deserve to be ripped to shreds by a rabid one!

by Anonymousreply 58October 6, 2019 11:10 PM

Keep your fucking dog's noises away from my ears, especially when I'm in my own home.

by Anonymousreply 59October 7, 2019 8:26 AM

THIS MORNING I was woken up by a dog barking in my FRONT YARD this time. Or from that direction, anyway. I didn't get up to find out, but someone obviously let their dog out at 6:30AM and didn't seem to mind him barking for a full 45 minutes. It's like everyone in the neighborhood suddenly has a dog! Time to move.

by Anonymousreply 60October 7, 2019 9:31 PM

Does anyone have any personal experience with the ultrasonic anti-bark devices? All the ones on Amazon seem to be cheap Chinese knockoffs and if you run their pages through Fakespot, they get D or F ratings as far as legitimate reviews.

by Anonymousreply 61October 7, 2019 11:53 PM

Called the cops about neighbor's barking dog once. "Dogs bark, it's what they do," he said when he showed up. This is what we deal with in the US: Animal fetishists. Fuck the rule of law.

by Anonymousreply 62October 7, 2019 11:57 PM

You know, dogs barking is as old as time. You can’t stop it.

by Anonymousreply 63October 8, 2019 12:10 AM

Sure you can! Simply mix up some crushed glass shards with hamburger and toss it over the fence.

Silence.

by Anonymousreply 64October 8, 2019 12:21 AM

Consult Elaine Benes and her cohorts Kramer and Newman. They've dealt with this problem before.

by Anonymousreply 65October 8, 2019 12:25 AM

My next door neighbors have a dog and I am SOOO thankful that they are super conscientious about not letting him bark outside. I thought it would be nice to post a positive dog story.

by Anonymousreply 66October 8, 2019 12:38 AM

For barking: there's a middle ground between going to the police or animal control, and directly talking to the owner. Write a polite anonymous letter explaining the problem and send it to the owner. Write it as though you think the owner is unaware of the problem, because that might be the case. At worst, nothing will happen., but I've been the dog owner who didn't know my dog was making a ruckus when I was at work. Don't assume they know.

For dogs coming on your property: a spray gun with food coloring will let the owners know *something* is happening to Fluffy when he's outside. It won't hurt the dog, but it will let them know something is amiss when they see the dog covered in purple. Kool-aid powder) works for this.

by Anonymousreply 67October 8, 2019 5:20 AM

It won’t let me link it, but my Amazon ultrasonic was 30$ and works like a charm. It looks like all the others, I’m sure they’re all identical. “Zelers Sonic Bark Deterrents” (sic) is it’s Amazon listing name.

by Anonymousreply 68October 8, 2019 8:22 PM

r68 that's one of those Chinese ones with spammy reviews.

Here's a review for that product (notice how it's talking about pet bowls?) The reviews are filled with what look legitimate until you realize they are talking about something else.

Very nice bowls September 12, 2016 Verified Purchase Great quality bowls. I purchased 3 bowls. I've had the bowls for about a week now and I am really satisfied with them. They don't slide, are easy to clean and look great. I rinse my bowls out on every use with just water and the rubber seems to be holding up pretty well so far. I have two medium sized dogs (Lab mix and a Australian Shepherd) and one small dog (Cocker Spaniel). I purchased medium bowls, which are the perfect size for the boys but seem to be a little big for the little one. I purchased it knowing it would be like that, so I am still happy with it. In the photos that I've attached you can get an idea of how the bowls will look with food. I feed my dogs Taste of the Wild. The boys get 1 cup twice a day and my little one will get 1/2 cup twice a day. In the photo the bowl on the left side has the 1 cup serving. Then you can get a comparison of how big the bowls are next to each dog as they enjoy their breakfast. The Australian Shepherd weighs in at 49lbs, The Lab mix weighs in at 56lbs and the Cocker Spaniel weighs in at 25lbs.

Here's another review, for the same ultrasonic bark product:

We exclusively use footed sleepers for the first six months because everything else is just a pain to deal with. Babies require plenty of work so why deal with frustration and fussing when it comes to clothes. So we are fully stocked up on Carter's sleepers. All Carter's products fit like this: Size 3 months means UP TO 3 months. So our 50th percentile baby fits into the 3 month size at 30 days of age. Before that she was in the newborn size. The zipper is very convenient and there's the little flap at the top to keep the zipper pull away from baby's neck and mouth. The strawberry feet are adorable and there's a strawberry on the back (would've been cuter on the butt, but whatever).

The few reviews they have for the listed product are routinely poor.

by Anonymousreply 69October 8, 2019 8:43 PM

Yes, I know it’s a cheap Chinese knock-off, and the reviews are suspect: but for us it worked. We’ve used it for about 3 weeks now, and maybe it will break tomorrow, but so far it’s been well worth the 30$.

by Anonymousreply 70October 11, 2019 5:04 AM

That's good, I will have to check it out then, r70.

by Anonymousreply 71October 11, 2019 9:52 PM

Dogs habe rights too. If you don't like an, than move!

by Anonymousreply 72October 14, 2019 12:48 AM

Just pull a Barbra Rose!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 73October 14, 2019 12:51 AM

I don't mind any kind of noise from neighbors, except for leaf blowers, and even they are OK during the day. I don't mind when the fat kids upstairs play hopscotch on my ceiling, or whatever is going on. I don't mind when the disabled lady downstairs and to the right gets nailed and she moans.

by Anonymousreply 74October 14, 2019 12:54 AM

I don't know where you are, but the Humane Society here takes barking dogs very seriously, because it often indicates neglect (being left outside too long in inclement weather with insufficient water, for example). Fines start at $100. People tend to shut their dogs up pretty fast.

by Anonymousreply 75October 14, 2019 12:55 AM

R64-silence followed by jail time. People who pull that inhumane shit are always caught.

by Anonymousreply 76October 14, 2019 12:58 AM

Sure, Jan.

by Anonymousreply 77October 14, 2019 5:31 AM

[quote]This is what we deal with in the US: Animal fetishists.

That’s the perfect description for it! The dog worship in the U.S. is VERY creepy. Almost as creepy as the obsession with guns.

Contrary to what dog owners think, not everyone wants to hear your fucking dog barking or thinks it’s cute.

by Anonymousreply 78October 14, 2019 5:51 AM

by Anonymousreply 79October 14, 2019 6:04 AM

There are some fucking idiots who live near me that have had their fucking retard dog outside barking all day and it’s still doing it. These fucking idiots don’t seem to get the hint that nobody wants to hear that shit, and that if they don’t want to pay attention to their dog, then they should give it away.

by Anonymousreply 80December 25, 2019 1:21 AM

A "family dog" is the tramp stamp of the 2010s-2030s.

by Anonymousreply 81December 25, 2019 1:28 AM

So glad I found this. A neighbor dog barks for hours ever day. It drives me insane. visions of poisoning dog or owner.

I agree with the anonymous letter. Direct confrontation is not good. Neighbors and enemies for life are not good. Neighbors are a weird thing. Having an intermediary like police or ASPCA deal with it is ideal. But most cops don’t want to deal with it.

by Anonymousreply 82December 25, 2019 1:39 AM

I called the cops on a neighbor in Austin who left his dog out all night barking (I think he worked a night shift) and when the officer checked the house out he said no one was home and he couldn't do anything about it.

I ended up going the anonymous note route and it actually worked. I was polite but said his dog barked ALL NIGHT LONG and could he please leave him inside if he was going to be gone.

I don't think the cop did anything or even if the guy knew that the cops had come, but I was happy the note worked.

My current place, however, EVERYONE SEEMS TO HAVE GOTTEN DOGS AT THE SAME TIME. You can't go outside or they bark at you no matter where you are, in the front yard or back.

by Anonymousreply 83December 25, 2019 1:48 AM

[quote]A "family dog" is the tramp stamp of the 2010s-2030s

R81 has to be one of the biggest fucking morons to ever comment on DL...

"Family dogs" have been around long before you were born, and will continue to be around long after you're gone and forgotten.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 84December 25, 2019 2:01 AM

Here's an anti-barking device on amazon. It has a 50 ft. range, plus it gets good reviews.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 85December 25, 2019 2:04 AM

New Zealand is awful. Like hell would they take my dog away.

I have dogs. I’m retired. On a usual day I’m not gone for long. I’m very cognizant of barking even during the day.

What bothers me is the neighbors down the street who play Mariachi music at high level for hours. It also happens when I go to the lake. Do they ever consider that those nearby come out to relax and not go to a club? No.

by Anonymousreply 86December 25, 2019 2:06 AM

Article for the idiot at R81

[quote]Powerful Tributes From Ancient Dog Owners Reveal That Pups Have Always Been Part of the Family

[quote]If you’re one of the crazy dog people who calls your pets your furbabies and treats them like part of the family, you’re not alone. Turns out the ancient Greeks and Romans were as attached to their dogs as we are today, and there is no greater evidence of this than the sentimental epitaphs left at their gravesites.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 87December 25, 2019 2:10 AM

[quote]My current place, however, EVERYONE SEEMS TO HAVE GOTTEN DOGS AT THE SAME TIME. You can't go outside or they bark at you no matter where you are, in the front yard or back.

See, this is exactly what I’m talking about. I’ve gone from liking dogs (I grew up with them) to despising most of them because my neighborhood is also flooded with barking dogs. I do not want to hear that shit all day and night, and it really pisses me off that I can’t even sit on my own deck in my own yard without neighbor dogs barking just because they see a “stranger.”

Don’t get fucking dog if you can’t shut it up.

by Anonymousreply 88December 25, 2019 2:13 AM

R87 you seem really excessively triggered by r81's comment.

by Anonymousreply 89December 25, 2019 6:23 AM

Throw them some poisoned meatballs.

by Anonymousreply 90December 25, 2019 7:22 AM

A friend of mine is a very light sleeper, and not shy about telling people in no uncertain terms that their dogs are barking. (He's 6'6, so that's helpful in those situations). But one neighbor would let his dog out at night, (no fenced yard), and the dog would run around knocking over garbage cans up and down the street and strewing garbage all over the lawns of all the residents. My friend confronted the owner, who denied ever letting his dog roam freely around the neighborhood. So after a bit of internet research, my friend "accidentally" left half of a chocolate cream pie on top of his garbage can one night, shortly afterwards. Chocolate is poison to dogs, but usually just results in a lot of throwing up and diarrhea, especially the very moderate amount in a chocolate cream pie, which is mostly whipped cream, not chocolate. Guess whose dog came home and shat and vomited chocolate cream pie all over the denying neighbor's house? After that, the dog was walked by the neighbor instead of being let out to roam by himself at a house which had no fenced yard.

I would feel bad for the dog, had my friend tossed the chocolate cream pie into his yard. But in fact, the dog was on his way over for the umpteenth time to knock over the garbage can and encountered the pie in my friend's own yard.

by Anonymousreply 91December 25, 2019 9:36 AM

R84 : every person and their brother just /has/ to have one now for no reason whatsoever.

by Anonymousreply 92December 25, 2019 6:34 PM

And most of the people who have them can't afford them or don't take care of them.

by Anonymousreply 93December 25, 2019 6:35 PM

Yeah - like smartphones, people “have” to have all of these things that cost a ton of money now. Then they complain about how hard it is to get by. Stop buying crap.

by Anonymousreply 94December 25, 2019 7:30 PM

Throw chocolate into the yard.

by Anonymousreply 95December 25, 2019 7:32 PM

[quote]But one neighbor would let his dog out at night, (no fenced yard), and the dog would run around knocking over garbage cans up and down the street and strewing garbage all over the lawns of all the residents.

Unless it’s in the countryside, having a dog with no fence and letting them run wild is a lawsuit waiting to happen if it ever bites someone. The owner sounds like a fucking idiot.

by Anonymousreply 96December 25, 2019 7:43 PM

Don’t throw anything into the yard like a completely spineless, pathetic excuse of an organism. Don’t make the dog suffer for the stupidity of the human it got stuck with. The human is at fault here, not the dog.

Try the anonymous letter. If that doesn’t work, call the police. An officer showing up to write a ticket for a noise complaint would be a terrific wake-up call, and the innocent party here (the dog) isn’t negatively affected. If you feel compelled to do something more, the idea laid out above of blasting music at them is fantastic.

That said... I never let my dogs outside by themselves. The concept of just letting them bark indefinitely is foreign to me.

by Anonymousreply 97December 28, 2019 11:30 PM

Call non-emergency number for the police and report it. I've done it. They will get a warning the first few times and then after that they will get ticketed. Blame the owner, not the dog. Dog is doing it's job. Only a fucking evil person would harm an animal.

by Anonymousreply 98December 28, 2019 11:36 PM

OP: buy one of those personal alarms (the loudest possible), and a pair of earplugs or headphones. Go up to the fence and set it off. Rinse and repeat when the barking recommences. Dogs (and thoughtless neigbours) find them as painful as we do and soon learn to modify their behaviour.

by Anonymousreply 99December 28, 2019 11:36 PM

[quote] OP consider living in a HOA where dogs are not allowed to be chained up, and dog houses are not allowed.

I would rather live in a community that sounds like a dog pound than live in one with am HOA. An HOA is like a person volunteering to live in a fascist or communist country.

by Anonymousreply 100December 28, 2019 11:56 PM

my fur baby is practically perfect in every way, in part because i recognize that she’s a pack animal and should be treated as such.

leaving a dog chained outside alone all night is cruelty in my book.

by Anonymousreply 101December 29, 2019 12:02 AM

R21 you are so uneducated. On the weekends many of the Spanish tend to blast their music and drink heavily from Friday to Sunday. I remember when I lived down on the lower east side and they would always have their doors open with that music coming out as loud as possible all weekend. But you wouldn't know anything about that R21 would you? You're too busy calling people racist. Which by the way ethnicity and race is a whole different thing so re-read your sentence dildo breath.

by Anonymousreply 102December 29, 2019 12:45 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!