Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Nabisco Premium saltines now taste stale

My mom bought the Nabisco Premiums, I even have a tin she used to store them in when I was a child. But the last few years every time I buy a box of the Premiums they taste stale. I thought maybe it was just me but we were talking about it at work and others agreed. Now for saltines I buy Keebler Zesta crackers. My local grocery store doesn't sell them so I have to go out of my way for them. What say you Della? Weren't you the one who serves saltines with butter to guests?

And yes I know there are fancier crackers but I like saltines in my soup and chili

by Anonymousreply 51October 14, 2019 4:06 AM

All the Nabisco products have tanked since they moved production to Mexico. The Ritz crackers are so flimsy they break as you pull them out of the wrapping, and it's not unusual to get a box where 25% are broken in transit.

And you're right, the saltines have a stale paste-like taste to them. Try Sunshine or Keebler instead.

by Anonymousreply 1October 2, 2019 5:28 AM

I even tried the "Fresh Packs" thinking they may be less stale because they are packaged smaller but they still tasted funny.

by Anonymousreply 2October 2, 2019 5:30 AM

r1 you are right, I tried spreading cheese on Ritz and they kept crumbling. Sad that nothing tastes better when it's sitting on a Ritz now.

by Anonymousreply 3October 2, 2019 5:32 AM

I bake my own crackers. I guess some people will eat anything.

by Anonymousreply 4October 2, 2019 5:39 AM

“I tried spreading cheese on Ritz and they kept crumbling.”

Holy crap on a cracker

by Anonymousreply 5October 2, 2019 5:42 AM

My mom has recently complained about this with Zesta crackers. It has to do with the 2018 removal of trans fats, so all brands may be affected. I buy the store brand saltines and they are crumbly as fuck.

This article lists Ritz as Number 1 among its "25 Foods You Love That Will Never Be the Same"

[quote]Trans fat—at least the artifical kind—will no longer be found in our favorite shelf-stable products from Twinkies to Thin Mints, thanks to a ruling by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration. The FDA has set a 2018 deadline for food companies to eliminate trans fat from their products. (They’re still OK in products like meat and cheese where they occur naturally.) The move comes after decades of research finding consuming trans fat is strongly linked to heart disease and obesity.

[quote]It turns out a lot of our favorite treats are laden with the stuff after food companies turned to partially hydrogenated oils as a cheaper alternative to butter and lard in the last 100 years. But many brands have managed to hide trans fat from their nutrition label thanks to a loophole that says products with fewer than 0.5 grams of the stuff per arbitrary serving don’t need to list it. You can outsmart these food companies by looking at the ingredient list. If there’s partially hydrogenated oil, then there’s trans fat.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6October 2, 2019 6:06 AM

Ritz crackers don't always have enough salt on them for me. That's why I buy two (fresh stack) boxes, just in case I stumble upon a box with mostly unsalted crackers.

by Anonymousreply 7October 2, 2019 7:30 AM

I do agree that saltines taste different. I don't know if I will call them stale, but they are harder and not as flaky. Plus, they seem to skimp on the salt on them as well.

by Anonymousreply 8October 2, 2019 7:32 AM

Oh Jesus Christ they went after the Nabisco Premiums??

by Anonymousreply 9October 2, 2019 7:36 AM

That's why things don't taste as good as they did when I was a kid.

by Anonymousreply 10October 2, 2019 9:34 AM

You should buy the Nabisco Premium Supreme saltines. The taste is much better.

by Anonymousreply 11October 2, 2019 9:48 AM

r11 I assume you are joking because there is no such thing

by Anonymousreply 12October 2, 2019 9:52 AM

R10, your taste buds evolve as you age. It does not necessarily mean food products changed.

by Anonymousreply 13October 2, 2019 9:52 AM

Same thing with these. I couldn’t open a single individual package without finding at least three that had already crumbled, and two others that would fall apart if I held them for too long or god forbid tried to spread anything on them.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 14October 2, 2019 9:53 AM

Saltines are crumbling and breaking more easily.

by Anonymousreply 15October 2, 2019 10:27 AM

The Aldi ones are pretty good.

by Anonymousreply 16October 2, 2019 10:29 AM

I am still mourning Nabisco Swiss Cheese crackers, Twigs, and their French Onion crackers.

by Anonymousreply 17October 2, 2019 9:55 PM

Ohhhh...I haven't thought of Twigs in...in....

by Anonymousreply 18October 2, 2019 9:58 PM

Krispy crackers are the best. They bake them a little longer, so they're a little browner and more krispy.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 19October 2, 2019 10:03 PM

I expect this thread will die down as Matlock is about to come on.

by Anonymousreply 20October 2, 2019 10:07 PM

I switched to Zesta but I see that someone upthread had trouble there as well. I don't buy these type crackers except in the winter so they don't get soggy and stale.i

by Anonymousreply 21October 2, 2019 10:17 PM

I only eat the Korean one, much much better.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 22October 2, 2019 10:24 PM

I can't believe I just read every post in a thread about saltines.

by Anonymousreply 23October 2, 2019 10:41 PM

When trans fats were being phased out, Swiss Chalet (a Canadian roast chicken restaurant) served samples of the new fries with the old fries. Sigh... that was probably a mistake. The new fries are not as good, though it's somewhat subtle. I wish they had compensated by a longer fry or raising the heat or something.

by Anonymousreply 24October 2, 2019 10:46 PM

Nabisco Premiums are made from leftover war rations.

by Anonymousreply 25October 2, 2019 10:51 PM

Why don't they go back to animal fats? I would pay extra for crackers made with lard or butter.

by Anonymousreply 26October 2, 2019 11:20 PM

I was right.

by Anonymousreply 27October 3, 2019 12:15 AM

Recipe: Pat 'O Butter ala Saltine

1 Pkg Nabisco Premium Saltines

1 lb Quartered Butter ( Salted or Unsalted)

Cookie Sheet, Sharp knife

Remove Saltine wrapper, Remove butter wrapper. Place saltines on cookie sheet, take knife in hand, place sharp edge on one end of butter stick (about 1/4 to 1/2 inch away from end). Apply hand pressure to knife to slice off pat 'o butter. Place on Saltine.

Repeat until cookie sheet is covered with crackers and butter. Serve immediately.

Enjoy the chemical reaction created by your brain's flavor neurons when they process the perfect combination of salt, sugar and fat.

by Anonymousreply 28October 3, 2019 12:36 AM

Oh, and lol r20 and r23

by Anonymousreply 29October 3, 2019 12:38 AM

I ate a LOT of saltines as a young teen. When I got home from school I'd usually eat a sleeve of them for a snack with or without peanut butter. Premiums were hard and tasted stale back in 1982. Zesta was my favorite as the crackers were lighter and flakier so I was always pleased when mom had bought those. I almost never buy saltines anymore. If you live near a store that sells Kroger brand their crackers are pretty good, almost like Zesta.

by Anonymousreply 30October 3, 2019 12:44 AM

OP, the box will have a phone number on it. Call and complain. They’ll send you coupons for discounts on more stale crackers.

by Anonymousreply 31October 3, 2019 12:58 AM

I liked to eat a Quaker Oats packet made with milk for a snack every once in a while but they always taste stale now. I thought it was the flimsy paper package each packet was made if allowed humidity to get in but I guess it's this new stale taste thing.

by Anonymousreply 32October 3, 2019 1:04 AM

I’m so glad someone mentioned how bad they are lately. I thought it was me.

by Anonymousreply 33October 3, 2019 1:10 AM

I don't think there's a law that says they can't go back to using lard and/or butter. Both are healthier than the shit that's in everything now.

by Anonymousreply 34October 3, 2019 1:26 AM

I wish I could still get these.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 35October 3, 2019 1:30 AM

I'm a Saltine addict. I love saltines with a ring of Vidalia onion and a slice of extra sharp cheddar.

I haven't bought Nabisco brand saltines in many years. I buy the Keebler Zesta whole wheat saltines.

by Anonymousreply 36October 3, 2019 1:39 AM

I only like oyster crackers with my soup. I have such a dainty mouth.

by Anonymousreply 37October 3, 2019 1:40 AM

I know they're not saltines but these are the undisputed mass-produced cracker champion of America.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 38October 3, 2019 1:48 AM

Clubs are very, very good. I love them.

I just bought a box of Whole Foods 365 organic cheese squares. I was shocked that they taste better than Cheese its or whatever the original one is named.

by Anonymousreply 39October 3, 2019 2:13 AM

[quote]I bake my own crackers.

R4 has many empty hours to fill.

by Anonymousreply 40October 3, 2019 2:20 AM

r38 I like to put the Club crackers in chicken noodle soup but I prefer saltines for chili and beef soups.

When I haven't gone grocery shopping I can be creative with some saltines. I like to put peanut butter & jelly, or cheese, or deli meat, or even do a Della and put butter on them.

by Anonymousreply 41October 3, 2019 2:39 AM

R40 Ina makes wonderful crackers.

by Anonymousreply 42October 3, 2019 3:36 AM

There are a lot of things I'll go to the trouble of making from scratch, but crackers sure ain't one of them.

by Anonymousreply 43October 4, 2019 12:12 AM

I ate at Wendy's today and had the chili. The crackers I got with my chili were staler than a hornet as my grandma used to say, and they are the Nabisco Premium.

by Anonymousreply 44October 12, 2019 11:33 PM

Zesta is the best-a

by Anonymousreply 45October 13, 2019 12:14 AM

Premium saltine minis taste much better than their normal sized counterparts.

by Anonymousreply 46October 13, 2019 1:53 AM

Saltines have always tasted like cardboard to me, I never could understand why anyone ate them, for me it is Townhouse or Club Crackers only.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 47October 13, 2019 2:17 AM

For you people having a problem with the cracker crumbling on you when you attempt to spread cheese on your crackers, they have a solution for that.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 48October 13, 2019 2:25 AM

Does anyone remember Waverly crackers? Are they the same as Club crackers?

by Anonymousreply 49October 13, 2019 6:16 AM

Stop and Shop brand saltines are good.

by Anonymousreply 50October 13, 2019 6:29 AM

I prefer my crackers have a bit of personality!

by Anonymousreply 51October 14, 2019 4:06 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!