Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

It's a Bea Benaderet fesitval...!

Who would think, that in October 2019, we'd have the opportunity to see and hear Bea Benaderet in four different television programs, all running nearly every day:

As Blanche Morton on the Burns and Allen Show

As Pearl Bodine on The Beverly Hillbillies

As Kate Bradley in Petticoat Junction

and now, as Betty Rubble on The Flintstones

by Anonymousreply 18May 11, 2020 6:17 AM

It's too bad you didn't also catch a Tweety and Sylvester cartoon with Bea as Granny. She originated the role, but June Foray later took it over.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1October 1, 2019 3:29 AM

Bea also played a live-action version of Granny on a first-season episode of "I Love Lucy."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2October 1, 2019 3:39 AM

She has a very long list of acting credits at IMDB. It includes the Granny character that R1 mentioned, plus lots more in Warner-Brother cartoons. I had no idea she did so much voice work.

I always enjoyed her appearances on Burns & Allen.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3October 1, 2019 3:51 AM

Marry me, OP.

by Anonymousreply 4October 1, 2019 3:51 AM

That's the worst pic of her, in character as Jed Clampett's cousin Pearl.

She was really lovely in Burns and Allen, nice outfits and hair, stylish and smart.

by Anonymousreply 5October 1, 2019 3:54 AM

And Bea a was first choice for Ethel Mertz, but was unable to leave Burns & Allen. Thank god Bea was stuck and triple thanks that first choice Gale Gordon was not going to be Fred Mertz.

by Anonymousreply 6October 1, 2019 3:56 AM

That CUNT.

by Anonymousreply 7October 1, 2019 5:14 AM

[quoote]Who would think, that in October 2019, we'd have the opportunity to see and hear Bea Benaderet in four different television programs, all running nearly every day:

Once in a great while fate will toss us out a treat such as this.

by Anonymousreply 8October 1, 2019 5:24 AM

The Pearl Bodine episodes are currently running mornings on MeTV.

by Anonymousreply 9October 1, 2019 2:33 PM

Blanche Morton. I think of her rather often.

by Anonymousreply 10October 1, 2019 2:37 PM

Bea was also a regular on Jack Benny's radio show, where she provided various character voices, including a telephone operator who gossiped about Benny. On radio, she and Gale Gordon also played the leads on "Granby's Green Acres," about a couple who leave the city to try country life. That show was the inspiration for TV's "Green Acres," which, of course, was a spin-off of Bea's "Petticoat Junction."

by Anonymousreply 11October 1, 2019 3:23 PM

I agree, good thing that Bea couldn't take the Ethel role in I Love Lucy -- she would have outshone the rest of the cast. Bea really had the best comedic timing of any straight (in the comedic sense) actor -- her double takes when Gracie said her best lines are still my favorite of all time.

by Anonymousreply 12October 1, 2019 3:45 PM

But does Bea's pussy stink?

by Anonymousreply 13October 1, 2019 3:48 PM

Not anymore

by Anonymousreply 14October 1, 2019 5:04 PM

Here's a great little audio vignette she did for an Arch Oboler record.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 15May 11, 2020 5:02 AM

I wonder why she didn’t change her name to Bennet, or something easier to spell/remember.

Most performers from her era did.

by Anonymousreply 16May 11, 2020 5:30 AM

How fesitive!

by Anonymousreply 17May 11, 2020 6:14 AM

Lol good catch

by Anonymousreply 18May 11, 2020 6:17 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!