Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Like Mother, like son. Tatum O'Neal's sons cashing in on family dysfunctions

Be ready for a new generation cashing in on The O'Neal family dysfunction:

"sean__el: My mother won an Academy Award at the age of ten, before she could even read. My grandmother was also an amazing actress and just as amazing of a singer (YouTube: Joanna Moore, Down in the Valley). However, in the 60s, actresses were fed pills like they were candy. Even though she had built a fantastic career for herself, my grandma had an extremely addictive personality and by the late 60s, she had become a full-blown addict/alcoholic. Her career was never to be the same again. My grandfather divorced her and he soon became one of the biggest movie stars of his time. Even though he was known for his beauty and seductive charm, he had one of the most violent tempers of anyone I’ve ever known.

So by the time my mom was a little girl, she was living in a trailer in the San Fernando Valley with my grandma. Her childhood was extremely traumatic. She would be locked in a bathroom and left for days on end, when my grandma would leave for Las Vegas and eventually come back to let her out. My grandma was also only interested in dating extremely young men, some of whom molested my mom and often beat her with tree branches.

My grandpa eventually became aware of the dire conditions my mom was living in, and took full custody of her. As it happened, he had just signed on to play the lead in a movie called Paper Moon, and the role of his young 'daughter' had not been cast yet. The director met my grandpa at his house and asked if he could walk with my mom on the beach. By the time they came back, she had already been cast. This is how Roger Ebert described her performance: “But I wonder how many moviegoers will be prepared for the astonishing confidence and depth that Tatum brings to what’s really the starring role. I’d heard about how good she was supposed to be, but I nevertheless expected a kind of clever cuteness.

Not at all. Tatum O’Neal creates a character out of thin air, makes us watch her every moment and literally makes the movie work.” And the reason for her astonishing depth was her preternatural intuition and because of what she had to endure up until that point. Once she won the Oscar for this movie, her life would soon be fraught with many other perils...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 15September 26, 2019 6:44 AM

Tatum couldn't read at 10?

by Anonymousreply 1September 24, 2019 9:08 PM

sean__el My grandma's life continued to spiral until her untimely death at the hands of lung cancer. My mom was molested many more times by various people in the industry in her early teens. When my mom was 15, she became estranged from my grandpa and they’ve never truly reconciled since.

Fast forward 6 years to a party in Malibu at Jane Fonda’s house. My mom meets my dad and within 3 years, they’re married and already have 2 kids (my brother and I). After 8 years together, my mom leaves my dad and they divorce soon after.

My dad remarried when I was 8, which also happened to be the exact time when my mom began a long descent into a gruesome heroin addiction. The 8 years that my mom was addicted to heroin were some of the hardest of my life. There became a sort of cycle that I was forced to adapt to.

My mom would use heroin for an extended period of time, she would then get clean and go to treatment for 3 months, where I wasn’t allowed to see her at all. Then there would be supervised visits for 6 months, where a stranger would watch everything we did together, taking notes and not saying anything. And then, if all went well, I would be allowed to see her in a “regular” way, without adult supervision. That would usually last about a year or so before she would relapse and the cycle would start all over again.

This cycle happened at least 10 times and most of it is a blur. I do have some visceral memories that were seared into my brain however. In one of them, I remember saying goodbye to my mom before my nanny and I went to see a movie. She was barely coherent and nodding off as she said "goodbye" and in my little brain, the only thing that made sense was that she was about to die. I sat the entire movie with the worst feeling in the pit of my stomach I’ve ever experienced, completely certain that by the time I came back home, she would, in fact, be dead. And

it’s hard to put into words how much I loved my mom when I was a little boy, all I ever wanted to do was be with her, or, at least, near her. I lived in constant fear that she could die at any moment and at that time, nothing in the world was scarier to me than that

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2September 24, 2019 9:12 PM

sean__el : At my dad's house, which is where I spent most of my time growing up, there was a highly charged atmosphere that kept me in a perpetual fight-or-flight state. The constant feeling of looking over my shoulder like an animal in the wilderness had serious ramifications for me as I got older.

As a young adult, I had no idea what else I could do with my life other than be an artist. However, with each art form I tried my hand at, I ran into the same obstacle over and over again. Before I could even begin the creative process, my mind would immediately be filled with extremely self-critical and just blatantly negative thoughts. It was a vicious cycle that felt nearly impossible to free myself from.

What I came to understand before I even tried photography was that the desire to become a successful artist and have all of these problems magically solved was a desire rooted in fear and ego. There’s nothing inherently wrong with wanting to be a successful artist, it was just that I wanted it to be a cure-all as well.

Once I started to perceive the deeper meaning behind what I had been through and how everything, no matter how bad, happened for me and not against me, I began to truly shift my perspective. And this was one of the most powerful ways I was able to start opening myself up to guidance and inspiration from my intuition and heart center, rather than my intellect. Because my heart, which I believe is the deepest layer of Self, much more powerful than the mind, emotions and will, and which I also believe is the organ of spiritual perception, has become my greatest teacher.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3September 24, 2019 9:14 PM

"Highly charged." Has he posted anything specific about his dad's temper?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4September 24, 2019 9:16 PM

Tatum's other son, Kevin McEnroe wrote a book about his grandmother and his family dysfunctions in 2015

The book flopped.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5September 24, 2019 9:26 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6September 24, 2019 9:27 PM

R4 He is estranged from his dad. Sean said he always took his mother's side and would always cover up for her when she was on drugs. He resented his father and his stepmother.

He wrote a post about it on Instagram.

by Anonymousreply 7September 24, 2019 9:29 PM

They need a reality tv show. They clearly need the $$$ and want to be public people. To bad the show for Oprahs network flopped.

by Anonymousreply 8September 24, 2019 9:38 PM

R8 They are all attention whores like their mother Tatum.

by Anonymousreply 9September 24, 2019 9:44 PM

When Kevin McEnroe wrote his flop book "Our Town" about his family in 2015, He thought the book would be a success and wanted to turn it into a series.

Kevin: We’re thinking of turning my book into a three-part mini-series.

Tatum: Can you imagine if I played my mother in the third part? How great would that be?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10September 24, 2019 9:47 PM

Tatum is always blaming her daddy for her failures in life. Does she blame herself for choosing Heroin over her kids and basically putting them through hell for years?! It's obvious they are damaged too.

by Anonymousreply 11September 24, 2019 9:50 PM

Sean tried to leech off his grandfather in 2009-2012, after Farrah death, all of sudden, Tatum's spoiled, entitled, "artist" son, Sean (who has never held a job) gets a craving out of nowhere to get to better know his lifetime-absent "grandpa" just about the same time he's bent on starting a film career.

Ryan lets Sean live in his Malibu beach house, rent-free while taking him to parties and places that no unemployed wannabe actor would ever have the opportunity for otherwise, seems the young slacker's motivation, not getting closer to granddad.

When a rift occurs between the two, over Sean loud music and his reckless behavior. Sean leaves Ryan's home without a goodbye or word of thanks for the months of free room and board.

by Anonymousreply 12September 24, 2019 10:08 PM

Get medical help, psycho.

You are a nuisance on this site.

by Anonymousreply 13September 25, 2019 12:17 AM

Sean begging for money and mooching off people instead of getting a job to cover living expenses while trying to make art a career.

He posted a GoFundMe appeal earlier in 2016 for $10,000 for an exhibition in Florida and ended up having to refund the $800 or so (out of $10,000 requested) when it was revealed the exhibition was not even confirmed at the gallery.

Why is John McEnroe’s son broke? - 2016

At least that’s the case for Sean O’Neal, the 28-year-old son of John McEnroe and Tatum O’Neal. The LA-based photographer set up a GoFundMe page on March 2 asking the public to give him $10,000 so he could make prints for an upcoming photo exhibition.

“I wanted to do this on my own . . . without asking for handouts from my family,” he tells The Post.

There’s one problem: The exhibition never existed.

Although Sean’s GoFundMe page stated that money collected would go toward a show to be put on by Miami’s Jewish Museum of Florida and the Anti-Defamation League, his now ex-manager, Barbara Assante, admits to The Post that, in fact, there was no confirmed exhibit. Rather, the fund-raising was more broadly to help Sean pay for printing and framing his art in pursuit of a show.

Sean, who says he was deceived by Assante, has since shuttered the page, returned the $858 raised, and fired Assante.

“[Sean] was the one who got things mixed up and moved a little too quickly before things were confirmed,” says Assante. (The Anti-Defamation League had no comment.)

Sean says he’s in dire need of funds to pursue his art following a Jan. 14 surgery to fix a chest injury sustained six years ago. “I was swinging on a [tree] branch in Ireland and I fell,” he explains. “I broke my sternum, clavicle and rib.”

Although Sean said on GoFundMe that the operation had left him “in debt,” he admits he has yet to be billed for the procedure, performed at USC’s Keck Medical Center.

“I think I’m going to have to pay like $30,000, even with insurance,” says Sean.

Not everyone is sympathetic to the plight of the poor rich boy who grew up on the Upper West Side. Sean’s father, now a sports commentator, is estimated be worth $50 million, and his maternal grandfather, “Love Story” actor Ryan O’Neal, is said to have about $15 million to his name.

“Sorry, you’ve got a lot more money than anybody I know. This is weird,” commented one man on the fund-raising page.

Sean, who studied theater at Occidental College in Los Angeles and is currently unemployed, has supported himself by working as a busboy and a Lyft driver.

“It’s very hard to be an artist in this economy,” he explains. “It makes me feel good about myself to try to raise the money myself and do it on my own two feet.”

His mom Tatum echoes that sentiment to The Post. “My oldest son [Kevin] is a bartender in New York struggling to make ends meet, my daughter [Emily] does babysitting. The idea that kids who come from what are perceived to be wealthy families — it isn’t always what it seems to be.”

Tatum also spoke out on her son’s Go Fund Me page.

“Sean does not speak to his father,” she wrote. “Nor am I aware if his father speaks to him.”

Sean says he does speak to his hotheaded father — infamous for his on-court tantrums — but admits that they are “on and off.”

“My dad and I don’t necessarily see eye-to-eye on . . . the way I should live my life,” says Sean.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 14September 25, 2019 5:11 AM

Sean McEnroe visits DL!!!

He changed his Instagram posts at OP, R2, R3. If you open the links, the posts are changed!!!

by Anonymousreply 15September 26, 2019 6:44 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!