Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

What to do with a music CD collection?

I moved this summer and all my CDs, numbering somewhere in the quadruple digits, still sit in the U-Haul boxes they were packed in two months ago.

Most of what I listen to now is streaming from Apple, and I have only had a few instances when something I was looking for wasn’t there.

Part of me says ditch the discs, but another part says that I’ll want them later, if only for back-up for streaming. ( But I’ve put huge swaths of the collection onto an external drive.) I am also attached to them as objects collected over the decades.

I still have loads of vinyl as well, which makes more sense from a sheer aesthetic perspective since I love the album covers and liner notes.

What have you done with your physical music collections?

What should I do with mine? (R1, do your worst with that answer.)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11September 25, 2019 5:05 AM

How old are you? I'm only in my 50s but ripped and tossed all cd's in my late 40s. That was a waste of time because many of the CDs I ripped have since been re-released in better remasters.

I keep a digital collection of lossless files. I don't stream anything. I guess I should do that, however. I don't stream movies either. Just play my own digital files.

Keep the vinyl. Or sell it.

The CDs you could donate to a library or old folks home or something. MAYBE.

by Anonymousreply 1September 24, 2019 8:21 PM

A lot of the music I listen to, classical, isn't available to download so I've been gradually converting the cds to .mp3 files and saving them to an external hard drive. Then I either save the cd or more often, through it out. I'm becoming much more minimal as I get older.

by Anonymousreply 2September 24, 2019 8:22 PM

Me, also, OP. I DO need to weed it out before converting a spare bedroom into a music library, but even after I do so, my 40-odd years of collecting will still leave with literally several thousand recordings, I know, I know.

by Anonymousreply 3September 24, 2019 8:23 PM

And I was about to ask about my record collection...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4September 24, 2019 8:26 PM

Everybody - if you have digital files - that's great. Please remember to take your external drive and dupe it completely, maybe every 6 months, and store the copy drive at another address. Fire, theft, and drive failure are real.

by Anonymousreply 5September 24, 2019 8:26 PM

Check online before you throw out cds. Some are worth real money.

by Anonymousreply 6September 24, 2019 8:26 PM

Gimme gimme gimme! I'm always looking to increase my collection, as long as it isn't 00s pop drivel or gay divas.

But in all honesty, sort through it and keep the good stuff. Rip the ones you're not as attached to if you are afraid of completely letting go. I have everything ripped to two external drives, with the actual CDs in a storage unit.

by Anonymousreply 7September 24, 2019 8:29 PM

Rip everything to MP3. Then, only keep the CD’s that have impressive artwork/packaging and get rid of the rest at a garage sale or sell on eBay if you think you could get good money for certain ones.

by Anonymousreply 8September 24, 2019 8:34 PM

NOT mp3s -- flac or nothing.

by Anonymousreply 9September 24, 2019 8:35 PM

Throw it in the garbage or take it to the dump.

by Anonymousreply 10September 24, 2019 9:07 PM

Be careful where you store your music-filled external hard drives. A friend I gave one to keep for storage lied and told me I hadn't given it to him when we broke up, and I know damned well I did.

I probably had 1200 CDs at one point. I was a classical music obsessive buyer. I'm now down to five cardboard boxes specifically made to hold CDs that hold 75 discs each. Like someone above, I mostly play my own song files now that I've put on my hard drive. I don't have a regular stereo hookup any longer. Because I have tinnitus, it makes sense for me to listen nearfield now. Moving things onto computers could not have happened at a better time.

by Anonymousreply 11September 25, 2019 5:05 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!