Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

How Much Did A Jukebox Play Cost?

I asked my grandfather but he said they were before his time.

by Anonymousreply 7September 15, 2019 5:50 PM

A Nickelodeon play cost a nickel. Ergo, a jukebox play must have cost a juke, most likely. Whatever “juke” means ...

by Anonymousreply 1September 15, 2019 3:39 PM

OP = Neely O'Hara's grandson. The result of a drunken one-night stand.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2September 15, 2019 3:44 PM

A nickel. HOWEVER: For unknown reasons, in 1949 the lyricist of a popular song "Music! Music! Music!" incorporated the refrain "Put another nickel in, in the nickelodeon…", evidently referring to either a jukebox or a mechanical musical instrument such as a coin-operated player piano or orchestrion. The meaning of the word has been muddied ever since. In fact, when it was current in the early 20th century, it was used only to refer to a small five-cent theater and not to any coin-in-the-slot machine, including amusement arcade motion-picture viewers such as the Kinetoscope and Mutoscope.

In 1890, Louis Glass and William S. Arnold invented the nickel-in-the-slot phonograph, the first of which was an Edison Class M Electric Phonograph retrofitted with a device patented under the name of Coin Actuated Attachment for Phonograph. The music was heard via one of four listening tubes. Early designs, upon receiving a coin, unlocked the mechanism, allowing the listener to turn a crank that simultaneously wound the spring motor and placed the reproducer's stylus in the starting groove.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3September 15, 2019 3:56 PM

As a kid in the 50s & 60s they were a dime. 10 cents was the magic number back in those days. A play on a jukebox, A large bottled coke (the small bottles were a nickle), a cup of coffee in most cafes, you could get into the Saturday matinee in many movie theaters for a dime,

by Anonymousreply 4September 15, 2019 4:02 PM

Before about 1950 a nickel was standard. Then in the early 50's when the industry switched from 78's to 45's it went to a dime (3 for a quarter if the machine was equipped with the right coin changer).

by Anonymousreply 5September 15, 2019 4:16 PM

I was born in '52, and I remember R5's pricing -- a dime per play, and three for a quarter. But I think it went up in the '70s. But buy then, jukeboxes were being phased out. I'm sure there are still some around--especially in those retro diners. And I used to love the little individual jukebox controllers they had at each booth.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6September 15, 2019 5:49 PM

[quote]How Much Did A Jukebox Play Cost?

Well, it depends on the theater.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7September 15, 2019 5:50 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!