Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

ALTERNATIVE TO PRIMETIMER?

When the Food Network killed its discussion boards some 20 years ago, I moved to TWoP -- not limited to food/cooking, but some sections devoted to those subjects. When that site died approx 5 years ago, I moved to PreviouslyTV (which recently changed its name to Primetimer) -- even less food/cooking, but one section devoted to old movies and another devoted to grammar usage sort of made up for it. Each move has been disappointing in one or more ways, and now Primetimer has updated itself for the second or third time and become fairly unusable in the process -- they say they're fixing the bugs but it's been almost a week with no progress. And they refuse to allow political discussion, which seems ridiculous in this day and age.

I don't understand Reddit -- DL is great but has its own issues -- is there anything else available?

by Anonymousreply 36May 22, 2020 5:11 AM

[quote]is there anything else available?

No, asshole.

by Anonymousreply 1September 12, 2019 9:05 PM

[quote] And they refuse to allow political discussion

Link, please.

by Anonymousreply 2September 12, 2019 9:10 PM

[quote] I don't understand Reddit

Well, you better learn to understand Reddit.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3September 12, 2019 9:29 PM

Here you go, R2:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4September 12, 2019 9:37 PM

For food chat, I always go with LTHForum. They started in Chicago, but they’re all over the US now.

by Anonymousreply 5September 12, 2019 10:59 PM

Fucking Primetimer 😡🤬😡🤬😡🤬😡🤬😡🤬

They suck balls. They fucking banned me for some bullshit reason.. fuck them.

by Anonymousreply 6September 13, 2019 12:11 AM

Reddit can be intimidating because sometimes there are thousands of posts in a thread. Just overwhelming.

by Anonymousreply 7September 13, 2019 12:40 AM

I completely agree, R6 -- but I need to find an alternative site that works with less complication than Reddit.

by Anonymousreply 8September 13, 2019 5:49 AM

Sort Reddit by best or top.

It's not the same usually substantive posts as elsewhere, but it works.

by Anonymousreply 9September 13, 2019 5:57 AM

Primetimer (fka Previously TV) has never been very good and has gradually become even more crappy. The moderators aren't quite as OCD as those at TWoP were, but they seem to be working toward that goal.

by Anonymousreply 10September 15, 2019 4:03 PM

For DL's soap thread refugees, Primetimer's Forums host what on first glance appears to be a healthy Genoa City contingent. It's more than a little nicknamey (Buttbiscuit, Shictor, Olive Oyl), but I may consider it, as Muriel has finally succeeded in exterminating the DL soap opera threads (poisonous lemon drops? Updosed Rx meds? A walk UP a set of stairs?)

Unfortunately there seem to be no MMT threads @ Primetimer.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11September 15, 2019 4:21 PM

They still haven't fixed all of the glitches caused by their recent update, and they aren't communicating about it. Arrogant assholes, clunky site.

by Anonymousreply 12September 16, 2019 12:07 PM

Primetimer posted the following today:

[quote] For the record, when you use ad blocker on free sites like this one all you are doing is shortening its lifespan. We mods are all volunteers and this site takes money to run so while you are allowed to do whatever you want when you block the ads you risk losing the site entirely eventually because it costs more than it makes.

Funny thing is, the 3 founders of Television Without Pity sold that site to Bravo (price was confidential, but no doubt substantial), then at least 2 of them started Primetimer. So the poor-pitiful-us tale tends to ring a bit hollow.

by Anonymousreply 13January 8, 2020 9:21 PM

The boards there are really slowing down, I feel. At least the ones I used to go to. I think the moderation might have something to do with it; grown adults don't appreciate being spoken to like naughty schoolchildren because they had the temerity to try and have an interesting discussion.

I also remember in The View thread there was a rule to not talk about John McCain for some reason. Well, someone one day mentioned Meghan's husband Ben, and rather than a note saying: "We've decided to update our policy and Ben Domenech is also off topic now" they wrote this ridiculously patronising message along the lines of "we're shutting the boards down over the weekend and suggest you take this time to refamiliarise yourself with the rules" (which at the time hadn't mentioned Meghan's husband was off limits anyway) and comments along the lines of "this is why we can't have nice things". That was when I though, eh, the internet is a huge place, there are better places for discussion elsewhere, why put up with this?

by Anonymousreply 14January 8, 2020 10:09 PM

Primetimer has some prick mods leftover from TWoP, I got 2 warnings there so fuck 'em

by Anonymousreply 15January 8, 2020 11:41 PM

Primetimer (and earlier, PreviouslyTV) is pretty bad. It’s all of the bossy schoolmarm that TWoP was, but without the contingent of intelligent and thoughtful posters on TWoP, very important in any good message board. Yuck. I like to read in depth conversation on the few TV shows I watch but haven’t found the right place either.

by Anonymousreply 16May 19, 2020 2:46 AM

Yeah, I’m done with them, too. The mods are hypocrites and scolding nannies and allow all sorts of horrific behavior from those they agree with but no dissenting opinions. It’s a trash heap. And as others have noted, with few exceptions, it’s nearly a ghost town so you’d think the mods would make a little more effort to not alienate the few users they do have. I expect they’ll be shuttered by next spring. They will have zero traffic this coming fall because there will be no new content. Let their failure be a lesson in self-sabotage.

It’s also a damn shame that The Onion/AV Club folded into kinja, which has been unfuckingusable from go. What a disaster of a UI.

Amazon, having razed their non-income-generating boards, really does weirdly leave nowhere but reddit and some low traffic fandom-specific sites.

Corporations have ruined the web, the same way they ruined film festivals and...all of modern society.

by Anonymousreply 17May 19, 2020 4:14 AM

A commercial for some kind of breakfast food involving microwaveable eggs elicited comments about hateful commercials, which (naturally enough) meandered into discussions of various ways to cook eggs that people do or don't like. Cue the mods:

[quote] Folks, Please get back to "Commercials That Annoy, Irritate or Enrage" and take the egg talk to "Small Talk", the place for everything that's off topic.

Being "off topic" is a sin to these people. God forbid that anyone should visit a chat room to -- gasp! -- chat, of all despicable things.

by Anonymousreply 18May 21, 2020 3:07 AM

r18, it's like the site is modded by people who have never actually been a participant in a real world conversation before.

by Anonymousreply 19May 21, 2020 3:34 AM

[quote]I don't understand Reddit -- DL is great but has its own issues -- is there anything else available?

I know you don't understand it but learn Reddit.

It's really not that hard it is really is the easiest place to find discussion about anything you want.

by Anonymousreply 20May 21, 2020 3:37 AM

R20, how does one learn Reddit? Is there a tutorial? How do you start finding a discussion about a given topics?

by Anonymousreply 21May 21, 2020 1:05 PM

r21 you search. If you want to find a subreddit or discussion about cucumbers, type ‘cucumbers’ in the search box and hit return. Discussions and subreddits about cucumbers will be shown in the results.

by Anonymousreply 22May 21, 2020 1:12 PM

I miss TWoP; I have yet to find another TV message board with such consistently intelligent, insightful, funny commentary. The America’s Next Top Model forum was brilliant—I still laugh thinking about Tyra Banks being referred to as Mayor McRibs.

Reddit is all right, but skews younger and often lacks the snark and wit that made TWoP so great.

by Anonymousreply 23May 21, 2020 1:24 PM

r23 and I don’t think you will, sadly. The ubiquity of smart phones means that millions of unintelligent people who were not online in any sort of social way, beyond perhaps an email address they rarely used, now, flood every corner of the web. In theory, I think it’s great that so many who were previously cut off from the global conversation can now be active participants. However, the quality of that discussion has bottomed out as idiots far out number intelligent, educated, witty, early adaptors.

by Anonymousreply 24May 21, 2020 1:35 PM

I agree with R24. But it's "early adOpters", not "adAptors". To adopt is to acquire (adopting a puppy) -- to adapt is to alter (adapting a recipe to make it vegetarian by eliminating meat).

by Anonymousreply 25May 21, 2020 2:23 PM

Thanks, R22. DL has conditioned me to ignore search functions -- I'll try the one at Reddit.

by Anonymousreply 26May 21, 2020 3:20 PM

The TWOP threads about Sandra Lee are a national treasure and should be preserved in the National Archives.

by Anonymousreply 27May 21, 2020 11:17 PM

OP is a Grim Reaper; wherever she visits, the place simply drop dead. Please try not to come to DL and jinx us.

by Anonymousreply 28May 21, 2020 11:22 PM

OP, why not discuss your passion for the food network right here? You know we at DL are a worldly and educated bunch capable of engaging on the most fascinating subjects.

by Anonymousreply 29May 21, 2020 11:26 PM

TWoP used to be witty and bitchy at least. Primetimer is all just a bunch of whiners pissing and moaning all the time. If you call somebody out on their obvious homophobia, be prepared to get scolded about it.

by Anonymousreply 30May 21, 2020 11:27 PM

Datalounge is one of the few forums online that allows you to openly express opinions without censorship but also isn't populated by sociopaths and degenerates.

Kiwifarms and 4 chan both have TV and cooking sections, OP.

by Anonymousreply 31May 21, 2020 11:31 PM

[quote] Datalounge is one of the few forums online that allows you to openly express opinions without censorship but also isn't populated by sociopaths and degenerates.

Oh, my SIDES!

by Anonymousreply 32May 21, 2020 11:46 PM

R29, Food Network is a shadow of its former self now. Hardly anything except competitions and southerners.

by Anonymousreply 33May 21, 2020 11:50 PM

I don't have any suggestions, but a good place to start your hunt would be Facebook Groups. They've sort of replaced message boards in the current digital era and have a built-in guardrail that keeps trolls away since it is tied to your Facebook account.

by Anonymousreply 34May 22, 2020 12:18 AM

r34, yeah, no. No one should be using facebook for anything. You should have facebook domains blocked on your hosts file or pi-hole.

by Anonymousreply 35May 22, 2020 1:20 AM

[quote]how does one learn Reddit? Is there a tutorial? How do you start finding a discussion about a given topics?

Like the next poster said you search but I prefer to use Google. I type in what I want ...

food network reddit

and the links to all the related reddits will come up. I prefer to use Google because some topics have more than one reddit. (Like you may have some reddits about certain shows or certain people or even the giant general TV reddit etc.)

Different boards have different cultures. Reddit skews younger on boards with topics that skew younger.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 36May 22, 2020 5:11 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!