Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Plain potato chips -- do you like them?

I dislike Lay's -- too greasy. But I do like plain kettle chips, Tim's Cascade Kettle Chips, for example.

Any plain potato chip lovers out there?

by Anonymousreply 25September 9, 2019 10:05 PM

Zapp’s are the best plain chip.

by Anonymousreply 1September 9, 2019 6:51 PM

Grandma Utz is the undisputed Spud Temptress here. Note that the list of ingredients includes real lard.

by Anonymousreply 2September 9, 2019 6:54 PM

Hate Lay’s. Love kettle chips like Cape Cod. Glass of wine and a small bowl of chips is my perfect snack.

by Anonymousreply 3September 9, 2019 6:54 PM

Grandma Utz ingredients...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4September 9, 2019 6:55 PM

What exactly are “kettle” chips? A marketing term or something meaningful? Anyone?

by Anonymousreply 5September 9, 2019 7:01 PM

Plain salted please. Baked chips are tragic.

by Anonymousreply 6September 9, 2019 7:04 PM

[quote]What exactly are “kettle” chips? A marketing term or something meaningful?

It's a brand

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7September 9, 2019 7:08 PM

I always loved Old Dutch chips, which were the most popular in the Twin Cities when i was growing up in Minnesota. They're made in Winnipeg.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8September 9, 2019 7:11 PM

For some reason potato chips have always given me acne whereas nothing else I eat does (not even french fries or chocolate) . But if I pig out on chips i am certain to have zits a few days later. I have to really have only a few, and only on rare occasions.

by Anonymousreply 9September 9, 2019 7:12 PM

OP, do you also like vanilla ice cream and missionary position sex?

by Anonymousreply 10September 9, 2019 7:15 PM

R10, why yes, yes I do. Is that an offer?

by Anonymousreply 11September 9, 2019 8:22 PM

Synder of Berlin -- the best chips.

by Anonymousreply 12September 9, 2019 8:30 PM

I grew up eating plain potato chips. I still like them that way. I remember way back when and really liking the Wise brand, which were pretty greasy but had a light, mildly crispy texture. Utz original brand and Cape Cod kettle-cooked are my favorites now.

by Anonymousreply 13September 9, 2019 8:33 PM

I discovered these this summer .they're out of Detroit

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 14September 9, 2019 8:33 PM

Utz owns Zapp's.

They fry in peanut oil, like God intended.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 15September 9, 2019 8:39 PM

Mystic potato chips used to be the best but I think they were discontinued.

by Anonymousreply 16September 9, 2019 9:02 PM

The only chips I can eat that won't give me heartburn are Ruffles lightly salted chips. They're actually pretty good with a nice crunch and not too greasy.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17September 9, 2019 9:05 PM

I usually prefer Pringles plain, when I'm not indulging in my fave Krunchers Mesqite BBQ. However, my brother visited recently and brought Lays Reduced Fat (with ridges) and they were remarkable. I couldn't detect any difference, as they were not baked, and they didn't contain Olestra or Olean either. Only a few ingredients, 25 or 30% less fat, made with sunflower oil.

by Anonymousreply 18September 9, 2019 9:13 PM

Thanks R18, I hadn't heard of these but the simple ingredients do sound good.

by Anonymousreply 19September 9, 2019 9:19 PM

R19 I forgot to tell you that they weren't overly greasy either!

by Anonymousreply 20September 9, 2019 9:27 PM

I like the plain chips with ridges. I don’t like the kettle chips — too crunchy.

by Anonymousreply 21September 9, 2019 9:31 PM

Utz is way too salty I find. Loads of it.

Nothing wrong with a freshly opened bag of plain Ruffles. Right out of the bag, no dip. Yum.

by Anonymousreply 22September 9, 2019 9:35 PM

When I was in 2nd grade in the 70s I fell and broke my leg in early May and was out for the rest of the year. Because of this I missed the field trip to the Utz Potato Chip factory. I met up with the class at a local park afterwards and they had brought me three potato chips freshly made in the factory that morning from the tour, they were the best potato chips I ever ate! Then everyone signed my huge cast, but I always felt like I missed something important in my youth.

Also, I was always jealous of the neighbors when the Charles Chip man came around in his van and they bought chips from him as we were not allowed. I don’t think I ever tried them at other people’s houses, but envy has a taste all its own. Did anyone like them, what did I miss?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 23September 9, 2019 9:36 PM

[quote]I always loved Old Dutch chips, which were the most popular in the Twin Cities when i was growing up in Minnesota. They're made in Winnipeg.

Another Old Dutch fan here. I especially like their Rip-L Chips. According to the linked Wikipedia article, there are seven manufacturing locations in Canada and two in the US.

For "kettle" chips, Hardbite might be a bit better - and very low in sodium, as well, if that's an issue.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 24September 9, 2019 9:51 PM

I just love plain potato chips with champagne!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 25September 9, 2019 10:05 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!