Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Judy Greer: what went wrong?

Pert, perky and undeniably talented, she managed to acquit herself ably opposite film legends as diverse as Keanu Reeves and Meryl Streep, yet she was never given a chance to carry a movie.

What kept her on the lower rungs of the cinematic firmament?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 101May 10, 2020 10:45 AM

She doesn’t have IT.

by Anonymousreply 1September 2, 2019 1:10 PM

She doesn’t have that which is needed to carry a movie.

David O, Selznick would say she is bad investment. She is D Grader, on par with Flora Robson and Gladys Cooper.

by Anonymousreply 2September 2, 2019 1:15 PM

She did trash from the outset, which probably put her out of the running for anything good.

by Anonymousreply 3September 2, 2019 1:31 PM

She's not sexy. She's a character actress.

by Anonymousreply 4September 2, 2019 1:38 PM

I don't think anything went wrong. She's been consistently working for decades in Hollywood and always delivers great performances. Not every actor has to be a headline movie STAR to be considered successful. In fact, those types often find they are in fashion for a while and then fizzle out, whereas Judy has been in loads of things, including (albeit in fairly small roles) blockbusters like Jurassic World and the Ant-Man movies, plus a more substantial role in the most recent Halloween (and will likely be in the sequels). I very much doubt she's sitting at home wondering what went wrong in her career.

Though as others have said, she doesn't have that leading lady sex appeal, but as a character actress I've always thought she is perfect. The bit in Halloween when she's screaming and breaking down as a lure for Michael then just switches into badass mode is the best moment in the film.

by Anonymousreply 5September 2, 2019 1:46 PM

I remember a couple of years ago when she did the Sprint "Framily" commercials - in the past, appearing in commercials in the US meant career death for actors - thinking how surprised I was that an actor of her talent would appear in commercials, but since then, she's gone on to appear in multiple movies, albeit in supporting roles. So she's versatile enough that she can do lot of different things & no one holds it against her. She seems to have a kind of "odd ball" vibe

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6September 2, 2019 1:54 PM

She's fine, she sends her love.

Not everyone needs to be #1. She's excellent in everything she does. She wrote a book recently. I bet she's fine.

by Anonymousreply 7September 2, 2019 1:57 PM

She leaked her own nudes and NO ONE cared

by Anonymousreply 8September 2, 2019 2:08 PM

She did herself no favours appearing in a remake of Brian De Palma's Carrie. Betty Buckley nailed that roll back in 1976 and Judy Greer came across as a wet blanket.

by Anonymousreply 9September 2, 2019 2:10 PM

Hmmm...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10September 2, 2019 2:16 PM

She's had some very high-profile gigs like What Women Want and Arrested Development and I thought that her role in the awful 27 Dresses would put her over the top. But nope.

Maybe she can play the wacky aunt in a Disney show for kids. She's talented but maybe not A-List material.

by Anonymousreply 11September 2, 2019 2:20 PM

UNDENIABLY TALENTED? Not sure about that, OP. She's pretty mediocre.

by Anonymousreply 12September 2, 2019 2:22 PM

What R4 said. She's the Annie Potts of today. Someone get her a microwave popcorn commercial.

by Anonymousreply 13September 2, 2019 2:23 PM

Please, R5. She's an actress. Of course she's sitting at home wondering what went wrong with her career.

by Anonymousreply 14September 2, 2019 2:24 PM

I loved her in Jawbreaker. Hell, I loved everyone in that movie.

by Anonymousreply 15September 2, 2019 3:50 PM

She’s had a great career for an ok looking woman.

by Anonymousreply 16September 2, 2019 4:08 PM

Totally miscast in Halloween (2018). And now we have to endure her with two more sequels?

by Anonymousreply 17September 2, 2019 4:14 PM

She’s relegated to a very specific type of role—the one you describe—“pert, perky,” earnest, eager, supportive, etc. She always seems a little silly, and like she is there to support someone else. There have been plenty of actors and actresses like this. Rosie O’Donnell was good in movies, but as endearing snarky-but-supportive best-friend comic relief. It’s hard to imagine her as a central figure.

by Anonymousreply 18September 2, 2019 4:38 PM

She's a lot like Baranski, both have beaks for days, are thin, lanky and awkward with biting wit/humor.

When young, she didn't alter her face enough for leads, which is better for her in the long run as she can do character roles for days because her face can move and doesn't look like wax.

by Anonymousreply 19September 2, 2019 5:44 PM

Her incest Survivor voice

by Anonymousreply 20September 2, 2019 6:05 PM

Casting agents mistake her for Pam Grier when they call her in for the audition and she’s never right for those roles.

by Anonymousreply 21September 2, 2019 6:10 PM

She’s done 700 films and is richer than god. I think she’s done quite wel.

by Anonymousreply 22September 2, 2019 6:11 PM

She has acted in 135 projects according to IMDB and unlike the star of 13 Going on 30, she doesn’t have to do bank commercials.

by Anonymousreply 23September 2, 2019 6:14 PM

She was in Halloween which was probably the most profitable film of last year when you compare it's meager budget to what it ended up raking in at the box office and I'd assume she'll be in the two sequels that are shooting back to back starting this month. She's good.

I did think she was miscast in Halloween, though. She came across as a shrill stick in the mud for most of it and there was that one awful scene where she's telling her daughter about her childhood outside a restaurant and it looks/sounds like she's reading off of cue cards. It's so flat.

by Anonymousreply 24September 2, 2019 6:26 PM

Fern Mayo

by Anonymousreply 25September 2, 2019 6:43 PM

She's not sitting at home wondering what happened to her career.

I saw her last week shooting "Kidding" with Jim Carrey at the Mar Vista Rec Center, which she shoehorned into her schedule of paying millions to renovate her house with the money made from her last Tropicana campaign with Jane Krakowski.

by Anonymousreply 26September 2, 2019 7:04 PM

R24, I thought she was awful in that scene as well. I personally would've seen Danielle Harris in that role but I know they don't want to include anyone from the sequels or remakes.

by Anonymousreply 27September 2, 2019 7:32 PM

Judy hasn’t got that hard core, like me. She never learned to rooooooooll with the punches.

by Anonymousreply 28September 2, 2019 7:57 PM

Judy is a failure who has only had one hit romantic comedy years ago. Loser!!

by Anonymousreply 29September 2, 2019 8:02 PM

She was very good in The Descendants but yeah, she's not a leading actress. She is a character actress, and she's mostly great (especially Jawbreaker). She's very good at playing seemingly sweet characters with a dark underside. I think that's her forte.

I agree with some posts here that she was miscast in Halloween. They should have hired Danielle Harris. Judy doesn't look anything like Jamie Lee and I found her character written as flat and uninteresting until the climax.

by Anonymousreply 30September 2, 2019 8:06 PM

[quote] She is D Grader, on par with Flora Robson and Gladys Cooper.

What a stupid thing to say, not just because they were nothing like Judy Greer but also because those two were two of the best Golden Age characters actresses around (and they just happened to amass four Oscar nominations between them).

It's interesting, but I don't think anyone from the Golden Age of cinema can be compared to Miss Greer; female supporting actresses in those days were either odd-looking and matronly character actresses or gorgeous bimbos who were usually tossed aside by the lead male character for the leading lady. It's obvious that Judy doesn't fit any of these two groups. There really was no place in movies for actresses like her back then.

by Anonymousreply 31September 2, 2019 8:13 PM

She's no Judy Geeson

by Anonymousreply 32September 2, 2019 8:16 PM

She's no Judy Geeson

by Anonymousreply 33September 2, 2019 8:16 PM

if i had to be an actress, she is the type i'd want to be. steady work, opportunities with the "greats", not too much fame, can go anywhere without being hounded by paps.

by Anonymousreply 34September 2, 2019 8:18 PM

She's no Germaine Greer.

by Anonymousreply 35September 2, 2019 8:19 PM

Nothing went wrong. She's an extremely busy actor usually scoring high in a continuum of big movies. She will probably be working forever while the so-called movie stars will age themselves out of the game by the time they're half her age.

by Anonymousreply 36September 2, 2019 8:21 PM

If you search Wikipedia, she is the fourth most popular Judy, after Garland, Dench and Sheindlin. Not too shabby!

by Anonymousreply 37September 2, 2019 8:24 PM

R17 Maybe they'll kill her off in the next movie.

by Anonymousreply 38September 2, 2019 8:38 PM

She did an F/X sitcom a few years back that was oddly fantastic.

by Anonymousreply 39September 2, 2019 8:41 PM

R38, I'll be shocked if they kill any of the Strode women in the next movie. I can see them killing off Laurie in the 3rd movie of the new trilogy to end the series in a huge, dramatic, emotional way (at least until they decide to do another remake or something) but I think Judy and her daughter will be safe. I could be wrong though. Lord knows I have been before.

by Anonymousreply 40September 2, 2019 8:53 PM

The problem is both Laurie's daughter and especially her granddaughter are uninteresting. I can barely remember them from the 2018 reboot because they were so dull.

by Anonymousreply 41September 2, 2019 8:55 PM

R39 I remember that show. She and the guy who played her husband had great chemistry.

by Anonymousreply 42September 2, 2019 8:55 PM

She's no Jane Greer

by Anonymousreply 43September 2, 2019 8:56 PM

She's no Greer Garson. And she knows it.

by Anonymousreply 44September 2, 2019 9:15 PM

She’s weird looking but fills a niche role very well. She’s hilarious in Archer.

by Anonymousreply 45September 2, 2019 9:21 PM

She's no Richard Grieco.

by Anonymousreply 46September 2, 2019 9:43 PM

She is a reliable character actress who excels playing either the best friend role, or offbeat, neurotic, and bitchy women really well. She has the Fern Mayo role in Jawbreaker on her resume forever which gives her cult status to some degree. I also thought she was really funny as the antagonistic TV exec bitch in Cursed with Christina Ricci, which was a mess of a movie but still fun.

by Anonymousreply 47September 2, 2019 10:00 PM

For an odd (not sexy) looking woman with NO famous parents/family she has done quite well for herself!!

by Anonymousreply 48September 2, 2019 11:20 PM

She’s not that odd looking. It’s not like she’s Shelly Duvall. I think she is sometimes very pretty and sometimes elfishly cute.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 49September 2, 2019 11:24 PM

Pretty

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 50September 2, 2019 11:26 PM

Odd looking

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 51September 2, 2019 11:26 PM

Odd looking

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 52September 2, 2019 11:28 PM

I thought she was the only one who acquitted herself well in that awful ‘Heathers’ rip-off Jawbreaker.

by Anonymousreply 53September 3, 2019 12:01 AM

I love her and never figured out why she didn't land the right project, even as a supporting character.

Same with Becki Newton, who at least had one show that worked out for her.

by Anonymousreply 54September 3, 2019 12:04 AM

R54 Becki Newton is awesome! She and Michael Urie appear to be good friends and cross post on Instagram.

by Anonymousreply 55September 3, 2019 12:08 AM

Jawbreaker is an awful rip off of Heathers? It's definitely a rip off, but it's not awful. It's pretty fun.

I do wish they'd kill one of the Strode women in the next film to raise the stakes for Laurie. Or at least give them actual characters. Like the other poster said, I don't remember anything about them except one of them was whiny and bitchy and the other had a boyfriend who was an asshole.

by Anonymousreply 56September 3, 2019 2:29 AM

I thought she was purposely going for the Joan Cusack niche.

by Anonymousreply 57September 3, 2019 2:34 AM

I think she's done pretty well for herself. I first saw her in Jawbreakers. And she also played a bitchy frenemy in Suddenly 30. But I think my favourite is as a psychotically insecure werewolf in Cursed.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 58September 3, 2019 11:38 AM

she has a certain kind of voice and affectation that would do good in an animated movie. or has she done that already

by Anonymousreply 59September 3, 2019 11:55 AM

Judith stroking her darling self.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 60September 3, 2019 12:02 PM

fake boobs

by Anonymousreply 61September 3, 2019 12:06 PM

r18 she did play the snarky sarcastic type in 13 Going On 30

by Anonymousreply 62September 3, 2019 12:08 PM

Until she plays a genteel Jane Austin character and founds a quackery lifestyle empire, Greer is NOTHING!

by Anonymousreply 63September 3, 2019 12:12 PM

R27=Danielle Harris

by Anonymousreply 64September 3, 2019 12:13 PM

Isn't the book she wrote all about being a character actor and how people always recognize her but don't know why? Seems to me like not being a movie star is her whole schtick...

by Anonymousreply 65September 3, 2019 12:14 PM

Judith Therese Evans' yearbook photo:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 66September 3, 2019 12:15 PM

For a parody, this thread has been taken pretty seriously.

by Anonymousreply 67September 3, 2019 2:45 PM

I wasn't aware that Judy is now a director as well - her big directorial debut called "A Happening of Monumental Proportions" (starring Allison Janney and Common) was released in 2017 but the reviews were pretty harsh (and it's currently at shitty 18% rating on Rottentomatoes ).

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 68September 3, 2019 3:01 PM

Here's the cringey trailer. I wonder how many people actually saw this one (it has less than 500 votes on IMDb).

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 69September 3, 2019 3:06 PM

[quote]would do good in an animated movie. or has she done that already

She's great on the animated sitcom Archer. Her character started off as one of the (relatively) normal ones but quickly became weirder and darker, which suits Greer well.

I'd forgotten about Jawbreaker. Not a bad start to her career!

by Anonymousreply 70September 3, 2019 3:29 PM

She definitely deserves better. I wouldn't even say that we haven't seen what she has to offer, because we have. She's hilarious, she can be heartbreaking... she has range, she's just never been given many high profile enough work to make that lasting of an impact, but I'm sure that most people within the industry know and respect her.

by Anonymousreply 71September 3, 2019 5:00 PM

R65 I listened to the audiobook version a few months and yes that's mostly what the book is about. She comes off as content with character actress career.

by Anonymousreply 72September 3, 2019 8:49 PM

What went wrong? She's everywhere. Quite frankly, I'm tired of seeing her AND hearing her in everything.

by Anonymousreply 73September 3, 2019 8:55 PM

I liked her on "arrested development" - but then I started reading her autobiography and for some reason she seemed like a real turn off.

I lasted about 2 pages.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 74September 3, 2019 9:02 PM

What kind of turn off? I'm curious.

by Anonymousreply 75September 5, 2019 5:01 PM

Her tone-deaf cutesy baby voice was the albatross around her neck.

by Anonymousreply 76September 5, 2019 5:45 PM

She's basically had the same career as Valerie Mahaffey. I think they might even be the same woman.

by Anonymousreply 77September 5, 2019 5:58 PM

R49, R50 - she IS a bit of an odd-looking female. Looks are assessed in motion - and she looks a bit silly when she smiles. Which is why she gets mostly 'goofball' roles:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 78September 5, 2019 6:16 PM

Goofy:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 79September 5, 2019 6:16 PM

Goofy = character actress:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 80September 5, 2019 6:19 PM

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 81September 5, 2019 6:20 PM

This is Greer in high school :)

Her parents need to be spanked. And her HW stylist deserves a raise for his hard work.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 82September 5, 2019 6:28 PM

She's odd looking in that she has very pointed facial features, but I don't think she's ugly at all. She has a nice body working in her favor too; she's always been tall and slim.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 83September 5, 2019 9:29 PM

Who said she was "ugly"? She's just quirky-looking - which is why she mostly gets quirky roles.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 84September 5, 2019 10:08 PM

She looks like Anne Heche, a little.

by Anonymousreply 85September 6, 2019 6:21 AM

[quote]It's interesting, but I don't think anyone from the Golden Age of cinema can be compared to Miss Greer

Celeste Holm

by Anonymousreply 86September 8, 2019 6:30 AM

She actually used the word "gay" about Lee Pace. He probably felt violated over that.

by Anonymousreply 87September 8, 2019 7:18 AM

Valerie Mahaffey is quirky too but way different. Maybe it's the voice. I don't like Greer's voice and hate it on Archer. Valerie Mahaffey, on the other hand, as Adam's wife named Eve (naturally) was outstanding, and used her voice so perfectly.

by Anonymousreply 88September 9, 2019 10:59 PM

She's cute but she's no that girl form Trolls.... the singing movie... Pitch Perfect, oh that girls name oh what is it. I can't think of Anna Kendrick! She's no Anna Kendrick!

by Anonymousreply 89September 9, 2019 11:12 PM

She always gave me a Carol Kane vibe. I saw them both in Jawbreaker and it seemed like such intentional casting to have Kane's character seems like what Greer's character's future would look like.

by Anonymousreply 90September 10, 2019 2:13 AM

I like her and think she is a great actress. Someone needs to develop a tv show for her.

by Anonymousreply 91September 10, 2019 2:42 AM

I like her and think she is a great actress. Someone needs to develop a tv show for her.

by Anonymousreply 92September 10, 2019 2:42 AM

She was great in Jeff Who Lives At Home

by Anonymousreply 93September 10, 2019 4:42 AM

Talented, dedicated, always working, and seems approachable. I've liked her in everything I've seen her in. She tends to play "out there" characters who other actors might not capture as well. She played and ex-con bookkeeper named Em Bezzler on Maria Bamford's show, Lady Dynamite. Loved her on Arrested Development too.

by Anonymousreply 94March 31, 2020 6:00 AM

[quote]Loved her on Arrested Development too.

Eyes up here, Michael!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 95March 31, 2020 6:07 AM

Her face I’d say.

by Anonymousreply 96March 31, 2020 6:09 AM

I've been told she's more or less the lead in the new Halloween movie and is far better in this one than the last one. Then again, she apparently gets better material to work with this time.

by Anonymousreply 97March 31, 2020 6:46 PM

Valerie Mahaffey stole her career.

by Anonymousreply 98March 31, 2020 6:56 PM

She no Dabbs Greer.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 99March 31, 2020 7:00 PM

She is a pretty good actress, and has worked consistently for decades. I've always found her very watchable. She kind of reminds me of Carol Kane (who she appeared with in "Jawbreaker" ). They share a similar, natural quirkiness.

by Anonymousreply 100May 10, 2020 8:10 AM

She's no Iris Myandowski the hand-walking queer.

by Anonymousreply 101May 10, 2020 10:45 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!