Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Remembering old stores is now a news story

NYT did a big piece on it.

For those in the cheap seats behind the paywall: they talk about there are groups on Facebook and Reddit celebrating old malls and old stores.

(Will post more from the article later)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 31August 25, 2019 2:15 AM

I spent a lot of time in malls in the 80’s. My dad was away a lot for work and my mom was in her mid 20’s, so it wasn’t unusual for us to be in the Staten Island mall or the Woodbridge mall more than once a week. Being able to read from an early age, I loved reading all the store signage. I also got plenty of rewards (toys, clothes, snacks) for being well behaved. To this day, I can remember those malls exactly as they were, which stores were where. I always associate that pleasant sense of nostalgia with being in a mall.

by Anonymousreply 1August 24, 2019 2:26 PM

Was in town a few months ago, & had to visit my Great Aunt who is in a nursing home. I remembered the area, and the Mall not far from where she was, and I thought I'd stop at the Mall to get her something. Gurrrl! That mall was dying! I'm talking about 80% vacancies. It was dark and scary with only 20% of the stores open limited hours "because the homeless come in here at night" and the Macy's was getting ready to close for good, so they had empty shelves. It was a chilling jarring experience. I felt sorry for the people who had to work ther. They looked so defeated and sad.

by Anonymousreply 2August 24, 2019 3:05 PM

I used to be a mall aficionado. Had to check all of them out -- locally and when I traveled. Now of course, it's a waste of time as most of them are dull and have the same stores.

But I appreciate the nostalgia for malls. When I was in high school, my mother got a part-time job at a brand-new Macy's opening in a brand-new regional mall in my area. I think that started my interest in malls and stores.

by Anonymousreply 3August 24, 2019 3:08 PM

I loved malls. Paramus was a go to.

by Anonymousreply 4August 24, 2019 3:29 PM

I loved malls. Paramus was a go to.

by Anonymousreply 5August 24, 2019 3:29 PM

I was never a suburbanite again after leaving NJ at age 18, but I did enjoy the grande dame department stores, my favorite of which was Frederick & Nelson in Seattle. It's where I became a dish queen and had my first Frango.

by Anonymousreply 6August 24, 2019 3:34 PM

We lived in a flyover hick town in the middle of corn and soy bean fields. Going to the mall in a city 45 mi. away was like going to Disneyland. Fountains, restaurants, cologne samples, genre stores (Helen Gallaghers, World Bazaar, etc.), book stores (naked pictures), candy... and a 2-screen cinema I'd go to while mom shopped (no cashier ever questioned my age).

I would get preoccupied and my mom and sisters would spend a lot of time hunting for me (long before cell phones). No one ever tried to kidnap me.

by Anonymousreply 7August 24, 2019 3:47 PM

I love when you guys start the Department Store threads in which you all had teacakes and dainty desserts with your old bag great grandmothers.

They are very comforting for some reason...

I miss Jordan Marsh in New England as well as Fuh-leens.

I really love the Bloomingdales in Chesnut Hill, Mass because it still has a lovely old school department store vibe.

by Anonymousreply 8August 24, 2019 3:59 PM

From the article:

Changes in retail spaces — say, new cash registers at the nearest big-box store — are met by most shoppers with a “huh,” if anything. But for some, even the most seemingly minor tweaks are noticed and documented online as part of modern American history.

On Facebook and Reddit, private groups and public forums like All Retail, Off the Rack or r/RetailNews are cataloging brick-and-mortar shifts. Like the “Dead Mall Series” on YouTube, by the filmmaker Dan Bell, their dispatches are rooted in nostalgia for stores and shopping centers that have closed. The groups also chronicle moments that may be harbingers of disruption.

In the last two years, big retailers including Sears, Toys “R” Us and Payless have filed for bankruptcy. Some have shuttered most if not all of their stores. Though the strategies of these chains hinge on standardized, replicable experiences, the stories people share about them are often quite personal.

by Anonymousreply 9August 24, 2019 6:05 PM

There's a FB account I follow called Pleasant Family Shopping. It's mostly photo based but has some cool stuff in there.

by Anonymousreply 10August 24, 2019 6:05 PM

Ugh to OP'S photo. While finishing high school, I worked for about three months in a Florsheim store in a mall. Awful.

by Anonymousreply 11August 24, 2019 6:20 PM

Agreed, r11. Were malls really that orange (my least favorite color)?

by Anonymousreply 12August 24, 2019 6:22 PM

It's just nostalgia. Most mall stores were awful examples of their type--chain record and book stores usually had limited selections an, over time, good independent ones were not recruited. Lots of cheap clothing stores that sold often poor quality stuff--Lerner's for women, Richman's and National Shirt Shops for men. They became sterile, homogenized environments but they were the place to go for pre-millienials, which tells you how uninteresting boomer and genX suburba life could be. Unfortunately, malls aren't very adaptable so if the neighborhood changes or a bigger better mall opens, they die because the place is very difficult to reconfigure and very expensive to maintain.

by Anonymousreply 13August 24, 2019 6:25 PM

What Facebook groups?

Maybe there are former Gap employees there who also saved the monthly paper playlists.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 14August 24, 2019 6:25 PM

One thing I don’t understand is why malls are closing but the outdoor ones are popping up all the time. It snows where I live every year. Why do I want to walk in the snow to shop???

by Anonymousreply 15August 24, 2019 6:30 PM

Long lost period architecture.....

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16August 24, 2019 6:39 PM

I’m not much of a mall crawler. I would go to a bookstore and a couple of clothes stores and that’s it.

by Anonymousreply 17August 24, 2019 6:52 PM

R15: People don't spend as much time at malls as they used to and they like parking near the stores they want. And developers have figure out that if an outdoor center goes tits up, it's much easier to redo as something else than an enclosed mall. They noticed that old strips in areas with decent demographics often outlived the malls that, for a short time, supplanted them. Malls are just impractical. Retail is overbuilt anyway, so if malls die, let them.

by Anonymousreply 18August 24, 2019 9:44 PM

I've read a couple articles about repurposing malls as apartments, condos, office complexes with a few shops and restaurants even indoor green spaces and sky lights. Very futuristic.

by Anonymousreply 19August 24, 2019 11:30 PM

The thing is, malls at least had a little style.

Now they've been supplanted by every town having a series of identical little mini shopping centers, all cheaply made, all with Walgreens, Subway and whatever other shiteous, bland monstrosities.

It makes me sad to go anywhere so ugly, see those hideous huge store signs, and know it's where style went to die.

The shopping malls, at least for a while, had some grace to them. They were pleasant places to be.

by Anonymousreply 20August 24, 2019 11:33 PM

I think it was a law that every mall had to have a Chess King and a Spencers Gifts.

by Anonymousreply 21August 24, 2019 11:44 PM

Malls still make sense in places with long cold winters. In other locations, they will not survive online shopping.

by Anonymousreply 22August 25, 2019 12:06 AM

R22 I wish. Here in MA, most are outdoor strip malls

by Anonymousreply 23August 25, 2019 12:34 AM

I loved nothing more than to smoke a big joint then wander a mall and people watch and shop. I could spend hours in one.

by Anonymousreply 24August 25, 2019 12:43 AM

R21 and a tobacconist at the central intersection where the wings of the mall met.

by Anonymousreply 25August 25, 2019 12:49 AM

Tower Records on Broadway & 4th Street. While I primarily went to the independent record stores, I would usually stop here last to get whatever I couldn't find elsewhere.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 26August 25, 2019 1:18 AM

What was your go-to mall as a kid? This was mine -- opened when I was in high school. (See if you can find a vintage/retro photo showing what it was like in the olden days.)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 27August 25, 2019 1:40 AM

R26 you’re an idiot. We’re talking about malls. How the fuck do you come up with Tower Records at 4th and Broadway as a mall?

by Anonymousreply 28August 25, 2019 1:55 AM

I too miss Jordan Marsh and I Magnin

by Anonymousreply 29August 25, 2019 1:56 AM

[quote]Going to the mall in a city 45 mi. away was like going to Disneyland.

Me too, except we were more like 90 minutes from the nearest mall. The highlight for me was going to big record stores where you could buy imports.

by Anonymousreply 30August 25, 2019 2:07 AM

R28 I'm the OP. It's really not necessary to be unpleasant. The thread has somewhat of a focus on malls per the NYT article but it also talks about old stores, ones that are now gone. Tower Records certainly fits that bill for me.

R26 I had friends that worked there in the 90s! That was the last era it was really a destination - everything sort of went to shit at the end of the 90s, for so many parts of retail.

by Anonymousreply 31August 25, 2019 2:15 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!