Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

U. Pennsylvania study finds that America is LESS racist under Trump

University of Pennsylvania study: America under Trump is LESS racist

“President Trump’s election has made racists come out in the open!” has been the progressive/media narrative since Election Day 2016.

But is it true? Not according to a new study from a pair of University of Pennsylvania researchers.

In “The Rise of Trump, the Fall of Prejudice?” sociologists Daniel Hopkins and Samantha Washington found that since the 2016 campaign and election, “white Americans’ expressed anti-Black and anti-Hispanic prejudice declined.”

According to the Spectator, the researchers expected to find what organizations like the Southern Poverty Law Center had seemingly endlessly reported: that Trump’s election resulted in an explosion of hate.

“Yet the study found exactly the opposite,” as the 2,500 Americans which the researchers had been following since 2008 indicated a “sharp dive” in racist attitudes that was “statistically significant.”

From the story:

Moreover, contrary to their expectations, the fall was as evident among Republican voters as it was among Democrats. There was also a general fall in anti-Hispanic prejudice, too, although this was more evident among Democrat voters.

So has Trump actually been a good thing for race relations in the US, and if so, why? The University of Pennsylvania study is a little shy on this point, but raises the theory that people have found Trump’s pronouncements on migrants, Mexicans and so on to be so reprehensible that it has inspired them to think about their own attitudes. It is possible, they write ‘that Trump’s rhetoric clarified anti-racist norms….given that the declines in prejudice appear concentrated in the period after Trump’s election, it seems quite plausible that it was not simply Trump’s rhetoric but also his accession to the presidency that pushed public opinion in the opposite direction’.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 20August 12, 2019 2:58 AM

Oh, please. And I'm hung to my knees.

by Anonymousreply 1August 11, 2019 11:56 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2August 11, 2019 11:59 PM

LOL - that site is so biased toward the right that it makes Koch's look like flaming left wing communists.

by Anonymousreply 3August 12, 2019 12:01 AM

I think the country in general gets less racist every year and has done so since the sixties. Nothing to do with whomever's in the WH

by Anonymousreply 4August 12, 2019 12:01 AM

no mention that Trump is a Penn grad?

by Anonymousreply 5August 12, 2019 12:01 AM

As an example of the non-racist attitudes now prevalent, please read the comments people left about Michele Obama below the article from the same site (legal insurrection) I'm linking below.

The comments make the KKK seem like a beacon of openmindedness regarding race relations

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6August 12, 2019 12:05 AM

The study is on SELF-REPORTED racism. In other words, they asked about peoiple's attitudes to blacks and hispanics and are reporting on their attitudes as they perceive them.

"Are you a bigot, Mrs. Smith?" "No, I have fond feelings for pickannines. Especially the clean ones."

Check! Not racist.

by Anonymousreply 7August 12, 2019 12:08 AM

Lies, lies, lies, yeah.

by Anonymousreply 8August 12, 2019 12:10 AM

"On average, White Americans SAY [emphasis mine] they're less prejudiced."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9August 12, 2019 12:10 AM

Anyone with a rudimentary understanding of Social Psychology would know that you never blatantly ask people " yo! are you a bigot of any kind ?".

Social Desirable Responding has been around since the 50's and still persists today. To gauge true intentions and attitudes you have to covertly ask people questions or do things in a manner in which no one knows they are being studied. Also, I wouldn't be surprised if the study from Trump's Alma Mater was flawed in some way that pretty much guarantees people we flatter his ego.

Did they post the scale in the methods section ?

by Anonymousreply 10August 12, 2019 12:12 AM

Ok I see they did @R9 . I would love to see the same 2,500 participants take the Implicit Association Test from Harvard.

I bet it would be an interesting set of data, lol.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11August 12, 2019 12:15 AM

Sorry, the study specifically says self-reported racism. It doesn't say, "White Americans attitudes shifted."

This is a rinky dink study by a prof and a student. The last time we saw one of these, it was from a prof and a student who used faulty methodology to come up with millions of non-citizens voting. Oops! We forgot to adjust for reporting mistakes. Our bad!

by Anonymousreply 12August 12, 2019 12:17 AM

Trump exclaimed: I told you those Jews were good at math, those spics liked me, the coloreds want to be me, and the chinks want to serenade me with their violins and abacuses!

by Anonymousreply 13August 12, 2019 12:18 AM

I think this study could me on to something. The rise of a true deplorable brought the worst of people but also made many reflect on their own prejudices. Never before have we talked so much about racism as now, since the 1960s. I can totally see this happening.

by Anonymousreply 14August 12, 2019 12:31 AM

Sorry folks, but the study is true. The difference now with the internet and social media is that the reports of racism have gone up. Same racists but more exposure.

by Anonymousreply 15August 12, 2019 12:38 AM

[quote] Nothing to do with whomever's in the WH

OW MY EYES!

by Anonymousreply 16August 12, 2019 12:40 AM

[quote] Sorry folks, but the study is true.

Did you really use "folks" to address DL? Clearly you've got a problem bigger than racism: absolute stupidty.

by Anonymousreply 17August 12, 2019 12:41 AM

Bullshit, r15. And you have nothing to back that analysis up with. Much more likely is that people refuse to define their racism as racism.

"I'm not racist! Your coddling of blacks keeping them in poverty through welfare is real racism!" "It's not racist to say Mexicans are rapists...they are!"

This we see every day.

by Anonymousreply 18August 12, 2019 12:42 AM

"U. Pennsylvania"...uh, what the fuck is that?

Oh, it's by The Spectator.

Give me a break.

by Anonymousreply 19August 12, 2019 12:43 AM

r15 is on point.

by Anonymousreply 20August 12, 2019 2:58 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!