Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

What Happened to R&B/ Soul Music?

Heyday was the '70s to '80s, then it became a niche because pop stars with marketable image/ dancing abilities took over. As a young kid in the '80s I had a Black next door neighbor who introduced me to all the great R&B music and her favorite of the late Lady-T/ Teena Marie who's White btw. Teena Marie's voice was so soulful and powerful but she stayed within R&B during a time when it wasn't as popular as before. If she had been packaged to sing pop songs she'd be more well-known today, she could've been marketed as a Celine Dion type and had that sort of career, her voice was so much better than Whitney or Celine. She's now only beloved by Black people though. It's why Whitney Houston had to be packaged as a pop star in order to hit it big, because R%B wasn't where the fame and money was going to be.

Now it's either Taylor Swift style of pop or Ariana Grande who while she could sing sort of approaching R&B,, isn't what we'd call a soul singer. There were so many popular R&B/ Soul musicians in the 70s-80s. Chaka Khan, Chic, Deniece Williams, Stephanie Mills, and Luther Vandross to name a few. Teena Marie kicked Bey's ass in this remake of Wishing On a Star linked below, in fact it's better than the original version by Rose Royce.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 34January 10, 2020 9:45 PM

Hip-Hop infiltrated R&B radio

by Anonymousreply 1August 8, 2019 6:00 PM

It unfortunately disappeared when hip hop and rap took over. There was some good 90’s R&B as well, but by 2000 it disappeared.

by Anonymousreply 2August 8, 2019 6:01 PM

Teena Marie's voice was nothing special. It was rather on the shrill side.

by Anonymousreply 3August 8, 2019 6:05 PM

Justin Timberlake, Sam Smith, Justin Bieber. . .

by Anonymousreply 4August 8, 2019 6:06 PM

90's R&B was excellent and got lots of radio play. It's mostly rap and trap nowadays.

by Anonymousreply 5August 8, 2019 6:19 PM

R&B is now used by rappers as samples in rap songs, which is sad.

R3 The "shrillness" was due to her using that tone intentionally when singing the middle notes, it's part of what made her voice unique, she could go from that to high register notes that sound very different. Her high notes are smooth and not too nasal unlike Celine Dion's high notes (and I do think CL had a great voice), plus TM had excellent breath control.

by Anonymousreply 6August 8, 2019 6:19 PM

Music as a whole got shittier post 2000s. 90's was the last heyday for rock and r&b. Rock is even more dead than R&B these days.

by Anonymousreply 7August 8, 2019 6:21 PM

You can explain it away all you like but I don't get the praise for the woman. I suspect it's because she didn't "cross over", which somehow makes her more authentic to some people.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8August 8, 2019 6:25 PM

The 90s had Aaliyah, Brandy, Monica, Destiny's Child, Mariah Carey, Usher, Toni Braxton, Missy Elliot, Boys 2 Men, En Vogue, Mary J. Blige, Keith Sweat, Janet Jackson all at their career peaks. There was also a slew of one hit wonders and artists like Christina Aguilera and Jenniver Lopez dabbling in the genre.

by Anonymousreply 9August 8, 2019 6:27 PM

'90s R&B/ Soul was when it became manufactured to sound like it could be pop, I'm mainly talking about En Vogue, Brandy, Monica, Janet and similar types. Pretty much Mary J. Blige was the only one in the '90s who wasn't like that but I think she was also older than Brandy, Monica. I liked Aaliyah when she first hit the scene, it would've been interesting to see what sort of career she'd have if she didn't die so young.

Never put J Lo in the same vein as R&B singers not even dabbling, bitch couldn't even sing and some saying she didn't sing on her tracks.

by Anonymousreply 10August 8, 2019 6:32 PM

The Scandi "R&B" had a negative impact, I think.

by Anonymousreply 11August 8, 2019 6:39 PM

speaking of one hit wonders.. always ALWAYS loved Zhane's "sending my love"! hypnotic that is song is....

by Anonymousreply 12August 8, 2019 6:59 PM

I do not know a Teena Marie but who can forget the infamous Tease-a-Louise?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13August 8, 2019 7:27 PM

Old school jam!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 14January 10, 2020 11:17 AM

R&G "died" because (sadly) many of the great artists are gone.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 15January 10, 2020 11:22 AM

OP, what happened is that the producer became elevated to god-like status and is now the real star of the show. Also, Rap came in and merged with R&B and then ended up dominating it. That's why there is no good R&B on the radio anymore.

by Anonymousreply 16January 10, 2020 12:53 PM

R15, this is one of the best covers I have ever heard in my life.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17January 10, 2020 12:54 PM

All of the above and more. Besides hip hop influence, technology wiped out the soulfulness and regionalism of Soul music ie: you can tell the difference between Philly Soul, southern soul and Chicago Soul. The synthesizers innovations of Stevie Wonder and others gave way to cold 80s synthesizers and drum machines unless in the creative hands like Prince or Jam and Lewis can all sound the same. Someone posted a couple of Bobby Womack songs. Bobby Womack was a grown ass man making grown ass music for grown ass people. He had no inclination to make music for kids and he had an audience, black and white. Now everything is geared towards kids. This is part of it, OP. There are many other factors.

by Anonymousreply 18January 10, 2020 1:11 PM

It's still here. Just not as mainstream.

by Anonymousreply 19January 10, 2020 1:17 PM

Cannot let any serious discussion about R&B music go without mentioning the master, Mr. Barry White.

Mr. White navigated between soul, disco, and R&B, and left such a great legacy.

Still as kids we knew what was going on when we heard Barry White music playing.....

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 20January 10, 2020 1:28 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 21January 10, 2020 1:58 PM

The soundtrack to How Stella Got Her Groove Back is one of my faves of all time. When R&B was alive and well.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 22January 10, 2020 2:06 PM

My favorite Luther song.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 23January 10, 2020 3:20 PM

Beyonce’s last album was pretty standard-issue R&B.

by Anonymousreply 24January 10, 2020 3:40 PM

I myself listen to nothing but cool/smooth jazz...#66, Watercolors, on Sirius.

by Anonymousreply 25January 10, 2020 3:43 PM

Cee Lo Green did some great R&B. Too bad he got #MeToo’d.

Janelle Monae has some good R&B.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 26January 10, 2020 3:46 PM

Jazmine Sullivan is my favorite R&B singer of today.

by Anonymousreply 27January 10, 2020 3:47 PM

OP, there's a lot of commercially and critically successful R&B out there at the moment. How could you miss H.E.R, Summer Walker and Sza who are all young and successful?

I miss Teena Marie, but Ariana Grande is much better....

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 28January 10, 2020 4:32 PM

No, Ariana Grande is NOT better and she isn't even R&B, she's pop. She can hit high notes, but there is no body to her voice. She still sounds like a teenage girl playing dress up. Teena Marie made adult music for adults--Ariana makes music for little girls. Her music is "of the moment" and won't be remembered passed its expiration date.

by Anonymousreply 29January 10, 2020 4:36 PM

I sometimes listen to WBLS in NYC which still plays R&B/Soul music.

I understand that it was a very popular station when it launched around 50 years ago.

You can listen to it online via an app or via your browser (link attached.)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 30January 10, 2020 4:40 PM

Oh, hell no.

We. ARE. NOT. Coming. For. Miss. Teena. Marie.

I will take off my rings and snatch off my WIG if anyone tries to come for her.

Sitcho stanky, nasty asses down and pay homage!

by Anonymousreply 31January 10, 2020 6:35 PM

Comparing Ariana Grande to Teena Marie is like comparing Mobile, Alabama to Rome.

by Anonymousreply 32January 10, 2020 6:38 PM

R32 Yes!

by Anonymousreply 33January 10, 2020 9:42 PM

R&B still exists, but it did get pushed aside with rap and hip-hop. For most people under 40, the percussion in rap/hip hop (or EDM/dubstep, etc.) was more important than the voice(s) in a song.

The "old school" style of R&B/soul still exists in places. It's evolved. Some artists are now labeled "neo soul" and some have been labeled jazz. Some great music still around, but you gotta know where to look.

by Anonymousreply 34January 10, 2020 9:45 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!