Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Minor Performances That Went Unnoticed

We have seen minor performances that have been rewarded, Beatrice Straight in Network and Judi Dench in Shakespeare in Love. But what are some of the minor performances that have been overlooked?

I've always thought Shirley in the movie Fame was a scene that was completely ignored in how well the character was realized on the screen. This scene could have ended up on the cutting room floor, but it didn't. The movies follows all the "winners" of the audition, but it took a minute to recognize how a loser felt as well.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 21August 4, 2019 4:32 AM

Eddie Murphy in Dreamgirls. It wasn't unnoticed at the time but it's been forgotten. He was outstanding and it was totally unexpected, at least by me.

by Anonymousreply 1August 3, 2019 11:24 PM

Levon Helm in Coal Miner's Daughter (played Loretta Lynn's father).

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2August 3, 2019 11:46 PM

R1, He was the best part of the movie!

by Anonymousreply 3August 3, 2019 11:47 PM

Speaking of Fame - Anne Meara

Barry Miller - Saturday Night Fever

Lorna Luft - Grease 2

George Gaynes - Tootsie

Lainie Kazan - My Favorite Year

by Anonymousreply 4August 4, 2019 12:01 AM

Alison Janney in American Beauty.

by Anonymousreply 5August 4, 2019 12:40 AM

Catherine O'Hara and Glenn Shadix in Beetle Juice

Annette Bening in Postcards from the Edge

Bill Paxton and Jenette Goldstein in Aliens

Jessica Caufiel in Legally Blonde

by Anonymousreply 6August 4, 2019 1:11 AM

Annette in Postcards is a great example.

by Anonymousreply 7August 4, 2019 1:13 AM

Michael Jeter in The Fisher King.

by Anonymousreply 8August 4, 2019 1:49 AM

Jack Nicholson gave a great small performance in Broadcast News.

by Anonymousreply 9August 4, 2019 1:53 AM

Holly Hunter in The Firm.

I love that Fame monologue. I often recite it in the stairwell at work.

by Anonymousreply 10August 4, 2019 2:04 AM

Lucille Ball would have went unnoticed but Gary talked her out of it.

by Anonymousreply 11August 4, 2019 2:12 AM

Oh how I adored Micheal Jeter ! One of the few celebrity deaths that genuinely saddened me.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12August 4, 2019 2:20 AM

Gone. Would have GONE unnoticed, R11.

by Anonymousreply 13August 4, 2019 2:21 AM

Donna Pescow in Saturday Night Fever

by Anonymousreply 14August 4, 2019 2:25 AM

[quote] Michael Jeter in The Fisher King.

Not unnoticed at all. There are reams of clips featuring his "cameo" all over the internet. My guess is more people have seen that clip than have seen the entire movie.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 15August 4, 2019 2:25 AM

Both Eddie Murphy in Dreamgirls r1 and Holly Hunter in The Firm r10 were nominated for Oscars.

by Anonymousreply 16August 4, 2019 2:31 AM

Joe Pantoliano in “Midnight Run”

by Anonymousreply 17August 4, 2019 2:31 AM

I think Gary Busey was overlooked for The Firm. He had great chemistry with Hunter.

Philip Stone as Delbert Grady in The Shining (Scatman Crothers, too, but he has a bigger role).

by Anonymousreply 18August 4, 2019 2:46 AM

Joey Pants in many things, R17. He's a Stealth Actor. He slips in there and steals scenes with some regularity.

by Anonymousreply 19August 4, 2019 3:07 AM

Sandy Dennis in The Four Seasons.

It didn't go unnoticed by me. It was the first film I saw her in and I was "Who is the woman - my new favorite actress!"

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 20August 4, 2019 4:18 AM

Gina DeAngeles in "Moonstruck" and "Radio Days".

by Anonymousreply 21August 4, 2019 4:32 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!