Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

I <3 the 80s.

What was great about the 80s? Only the good and happy stuff! Music, movies, fashion...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 129August 7, 2019 1:45 PM

Reagan, AIDS, two recessions...

by Anonymousreply 1August 3, 2019 2:35 AM

Riding bikes with friends and playing ball in the streets, going to the mall, the record store, buying He-man and G.I. Joes, horror movies. MTV, The Facts of Life, Phil Collins, Back to the Future, The Karate Kid. The list is endless.

by Anonymousreply 2August 3, 2019 2:38 AM

This sums up some of the fabulousness. Warning: shitty video quality

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3August 3, 2019 2:42 AM

R3 Wow! Everyone pull out your peacocks!

by Anonymousreply 4August 3, 2019 2:45 AM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5August 3, 2019 2:47 AM

Better quality for the following year but not as high octane.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6August 3, 2019 2:47 AM

Lots of shit was going on, of course. But I was in my early 20s, and very much in love with a great guy (and still am). He told me that this was 'our song'. He rented a dumpy little house with two friends, and they'd make fun of his bed squeaking when I'd visit him (no air conditioning, either). On Christmas, we had a bad argument, and I threw all the presents I bought him out the window into the snow. But he still loves me, somehow, even though I'm a proven asshole.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7August 3, 2019 2:49 AM

I was working as a waitress in a cocktail bar...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8August 3, 2019 3:07 AM

I hate the 80s. 12-22. Should have been prime years. But the conservative backlash, Reagan. AIDS, extreme capitalism made it miserable. I expected to come of age in a swinging 70s world and was stuck in a Dynasty/Moral Majority/culture wars world. Took until Clinton for the world to be a little less hateful - and to overcome the terror of AIDS and homophobia.

by Anonymousreply 9August 3, 2019 3:17 AM

The schlocky sumptuousness of Drian De Palma

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10August 3, 2019 3:18 AM

AIDS was horrifying, I was a young teen. The gay-hating was everywhere. Other students actually laughed about AIDS, about people dying. Dark times.

by Anonymousreply 11August 3, 2019 3:23 AM

The OP asked for happy memories. I have the sad memories, too. I (we) always will. I used to carry an enormous burden of guilt, for surviving. After my parents died, though, I resolved that I wasn't going to spend the rest of my life in mourning. I still do, but I try to pace myself, and do helpful things instead. Did you see the 'Life in the Doghouse' thread? You can donate money to a pet rescue. Life kicked lots of us in the ass, but none worse than the people we lost. But we're here, and they're not. I hope you don't think I'm being mean, because I'm not.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12August 3, 2019 3:35 AM

I was too young to be exposed to the AIDS crisis, but being a teen in the 90s and early 2000s made me scared (and scarred) to have sex given the prior wave of death. To this day, I am reluctant to have sex.

by Anonymousreply 13August 3, 2019 3:41 AM

R13, You need to look into Prep and Safe Sex (yes, still). Prep can keep you from getting AIDS, but not other STDs. That's why safe sex matters. But you shouldn't deny yourself sex and/or love. If you really like a guy, you can take the time (I did) to get tested, and to get to know him before you indulge in riskier behavior. I posted upthread, but my BF and I were both tested for HIV before we engaged in full-scale intercourse (as he calls fucking).

by Anonymousreply 14August 3, 2019 3:53 AM

Here's something fun, OP.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 15August 3, 2019 4:06 AM

Full Force

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16August 3, 2019 4:09 AM

Expose

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17August 3, 2019 4:12 AM

Jennifer Beals!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18August 3, 2019 4:15 AM

R18, Loved it! The idea that a steelworker in Pittsburgh can join the ballet. In reality, yes, it can happen. Not often, but I've known ballet dancers, who worked regular jobs.

by Anonymousreply 19August 3, 2019 4:23 AM

I loved this song back then.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 20August 3, 2019 4:26 AM

Let me hear your heart beat, I can feel your heartbeat!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 21August 3, 2019 6:28 AM

Go-Go’s

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 22August 3, 2019 6:35 AM

[quote]Life kicked lots of us in the ass, but none worse than the people we lost. But we're here, and they're not.

I occasionally reflect on who fared better in the deal.

by Anonymousreply 23August 3, 2019 7:07 AM

the three As of the '80s: AIDS, aerobics, and AA.

by Anonymousreply 24August 3, 2019 7:08 AM

Smash Hits and NME magazines

British indie music: The Smiths, The Cure, Depeche Mode...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 25August 3, 2019 7:20 AM

I get why a lot of people hate the 80s, but I was a child so for me it's always going to be a magical time. I was 2 to 11 years old for that decade for me it will always be about, Ghostbusters, Dynasty,bubble perms, Childrens BBC , The Gummy Bears, BMX bikes, A-Ha, Tears for Fears, Breakdancing and VCRs. All the fun stuff. Also Christmas always seemed to be much bigger back then. TV made more of an effort to be "Christmassy"

by Anonymousreply 26August 3, 2019 7:39 AM

@ r7, pretty much the same story without the happy ending. We made it 22 years and for that I'm grateful

by Anonymousreply 27August 3, 2019 7:58 AM

R27 you are very lucky. I've never had one year with someone. I'm lonely as hell.

by Anonymousreply 28August 3, 2019 8:12 AM

@ r28 ... I know

by Anonymousreply 29August 3, 2019 8:22 AM

R27, R28, I love him so damned much. But he broke my heart. And I broke his. Love can hurt like Hell. We were both a couple of histrionic idiots back in the 80s. He took a job at Arby's, but I was NEVER allowed to visit Arby's, or see him in his uniform. He's a petite guy, but I always obeyed his commands. He can still boss me around, even though we're in our late 50s. He's been driving me to my doctor's appointments, lately, since he knows I'm scared. He's still an adorable little 20-something to me.

by Anonymousreply 30August 3, 2019 8:31 AM

R30 is R7.

by Anonymousreply 31August 3, 2019 8:31 AM

r31 , yes we know, I get his story and I love his story :)

by Anonymousreply 32August 3, 2019 8:40 AM

The 80s were exiting times. People took risks in pop culture and pushed the envelope. The New Wave era delivered some serious edge to music.

by Anonymousreply 33August 3, 2019 9:03 AM

[quote]The 80s were exiting times.

Time to go.

by Anonymousreply 34August 3, 2019 10:35 AM

Jesus, people can't read. OP said only fun and happy stuff!

by Anonymousreply 35August 3, 2019 10:42 AM

He said the '80s, r35. [italic]What[/italic] "fun and happy stuff!"?

by Anonymousreply 36August 3, 2019 10:45 AM

Girls, girls - you BOTH gag me with a spoon!

by Anonymousreply 37August 3, 2019 10:52 AM

It was the golden age of daytime and prime time soaps. It was Marvel for gays. The shows had insane ratings and big budgets. A complete and total Fantasia with endless options. You could find your favorites, the ones that spoke to you. I was a child and an ABC daytime devotee and loved the prime time soaps. Heaven.

by Anonymousreply 38August 3, 2019 11:11 AM

Now that r38 mentions it, watching soaps was one of the few enjoyable aspects of the '80s, though I watched the Magnificent Midwestern Towns rather than those trashy ABC shows. Unfortunately, I didn't get started until 1988.

Classical music was another '80s discovery for me. I became quite obsessed with it when CD became the dominant format.

by Anonymousreply 39August 3, 2019 11:15 AM

When Whitney Houston was still gorgeous, sang (sappy, melodramatic adult contemporary crap) like an angel and seemed to have a bright, lovely future ahead of her....

by Anonymousreply 40August 3, 2019 11:19 AM

Tom Selleck in Magnum, PI. Now there was sexy!!

by Anonymousreply 41August 3, 2019 11:33 AM

That face, that 'stache, and Lord, Lord, Lord that ass!

by Anonymousreply 42August 3, 2019 11:34 AM

It was a crazy, fraught, dark, ecstatic time and I have majorly conflicted feelings about it in retrospect. I was just a kid (graduated high school in (1987)...so most of my memories are bit romanticized and sense-related: the movies, the music, the style, coming into my own as a homo and the guys I was super-hot for. I remember being obsessed with horror movies, new wave music - mostly British bands, some rap, hanging at the mall, crazy out of control parties (like right out of Sixteen Candles), hot jocks in jeeps and Guess jackets, the stench of New York City, especially in the summertime (it reeked of grease, piss and the noxious fumes of crack), the last vestiges of the east village art scene, the punk scene on the lower east side, etc etc.

I started hooking up guys around this time - ran up to the video booths on 42nd street a few times - and being convinced I had AIDS afterwards, even though I only let guys suck me off.

Somebody else mentioned this and it's worth emphasizing; gays were fucking DESPISED back then. We were looked at as subhuman, disease-ridden scum and the fact that a brilliant, angry, realty-changing, life-saving political wave exploded into being in response is probably the single most significant thing about this time period. It still humbles me and blows me away (if you haven't seen How To Survive a Plague, please do so immediately).

by Anonymousreply 43August 3, 2019 11:41 AM

Horrifying times. There were people who actually liked Reagan. People you used to like. Gays were dying of AIDS and the Reagan administration was laughing.

Then there was just the horrible gestalt of the times: horrible hair, pleated pants, hideous fashions, cocaine everywhere, and teen movies taken seriously as important cultural moments.

Bad tv. Bad food. Bad everything except music. The music was actually pretty good.

by Anonymousreply 44August 3, 2019 11:50 AM

Viewer Comment: "God I love shoulder pads."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 45August 3, 2019 3:34 PM

Sorry to counter the goal of this thread OP - but I have to agree with the fact that the 80s were a miserable time. Most people romanticize their youthful years - but I struggle to find anything about the 80s that wasn’t soaked in homophobia, death and conservatism. Clothes, hair, music, movies, architecture - didn’t like any of it. Even though it should have been my years of optimism and blind hope for the future, it was full of fear and expectation of an early death.

by Anonymousreply 46August 3, 2019 3:42 PM

OP's video didn't even include Crispin Glover's nerd dance from FRIDAY THE 13th PART IV, so why shouldn't we kill him and the videographer right now?

Just kidding. You keep kickin' it with Rodney Dangerfield and Howard the Duck. That's cool.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 47August 3, 2019 4:24 PM

The McPizza was the best thing about the '80s.

R.I.P.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 48August 3, 2019 4:28 PM

God R2 I think we knew each other growing up!

by Anonymousreply 49August 3, 2019 5:44 PM

As a wrestling fan, the 80s produced some of the best wresting moments. The attitude era killed gimmick wrestling and I haven't been a fan since.

by Anonymousreply 50August 3, 2019 5:48 PM

[quote]brilliant, angry, realty-changing,

The housing market was pretty good.

by Anonymousreply 51August 3, 2019 6:02 PM

AIDS. Reagan.

I don’t think so, OP. Fuck off.

by Anonymousreply 52August 3, 2019 6:08 PM

Magnum P.I.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 53August 3, 2019 6:08 PM

R16, what is Paul Anthony wearing? Was he trying to be Madonna?

Here's my contribution:

Yaz...Upstairs at Eric's

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 54August 3, 2019 7:26 PM

I ❤️ Adam Ant

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 55August 3, 2019 7:31 PM

[quote]Debbie Downer - sorry

No...Rhoda Realist

by Anonymousreply 56August 3, 2019 7:32 PM

I think the greatest thing about the 80s was what we didn't have. It was the last era before the internet became all-consuming in our lives. People still had real connections to each other, because you had no choice but to engage with other people. There was no hiding behind a computer screen. Society was nicer and more polite.

by Anonymousreply 57August 3, 2019 8:10 PM

My life would have been so different if everyone hadn't died.

by Anonymousreply 58August 3, 2019 8:13 PM

In the 80s, especially in 1984, things were comforting, even corporate conglomerates like Beatrice.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 59August 3, 2019 8:26 PM

I can't imagine anyone finding America "comforting" in 1984. Not anyone I knew.

by Anonymousreply 60August 3, 2019 8:32 PM

The 80s will be remembered as the last period in which there was a unifying spirit, before the disintegration.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 61August 3, 2019 8:32 PM

Even the Village People knew that the 80s were going to be big.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 62August 3, 2019 8:55 PM

I apologize if my reflexive, explosive vomiting accidentally came through your screen so hard it knocked you off your recliner, OP.

I just couldn't help it.

by Anonymousreply 63August 3, 2019 9:09 PM

Body Heat

Romancing the Stone

Against All Odds.

by Anonymousreply 64August 3, 2019 9:25 PM

Another thread about the atrocious 80s? Enough already. That decade, for the most part, sucked.

by Anonymousreply 65August 3, 2019 9:29 PM

I'm sad that a won't live long enough to see if the 2080s are a similar renaissance.

by Anonymousreply 66August 3, 2019 9:37 PM

Finding a Hustler mag in the woods and jerking off my friends.

by Anonymousreply 67August 3, 2019 10:05 PM

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 68August 3, 2019 11:01 PM

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 69August 3, 2019 11:32 PM

"Ready for the '80s" fills me with horror every time I hear it. Or, in this case, see a link to it, which I will not play. The last thing we were was "ready for the '80s."

by Anonymousreply 70August 4, 2019 12:49 AM

I was age 10-20. the twin terrors of AIDS and the wave of anti-gay male hysteria are hard to even describe. It was a holocaust/holodomor/hiroshima for gay men. I never talked about it to anyone. this is the first i've written about it. I still have PTSD from that era. How did I survive? I have no idea. I had no chance of a life against that but now in my 50's am finally enjoying life. It does get better...eventually.

by Anonymousreply 71August 4, 2019 12:58 AM

Seriously R69? Of all the choices, you pick a song released in October 1989 that sounds totally 90s?

by Anonymousreply 72August 4, 2019 5:28 AM

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 73August 4, 2019 5:56 AM

I love the 80s so much my heart aches. Everything about it, my 20s included, my 20s especially.

by Anonymousreply 74August 4, 2019 6:24 AM

The way the country is so divided now, we’ll probably never see for many decades another 49 state election landslide like 1984.

by Anonymousreply 75August 4, 2019 7:27 AM

We <3 Madonna.

by Anonymousreply 76August 4, 2019 9:54 AM

R71 agree. The only good thing about coming of age in the 80s, is now in my 50s I’ve been prepared for and worried about death for so long, it feels like I can finally live and all this time from here on out is gravy. Most straight friends are just starting to deal with mortality. I’m starting to accept I’m actually going to live to old age and really appreciating having had so much time.

by Anonymousreply 77August 4, 2019 3:00 PM

Jem, Debbie Gibson, Nintendo, Laser Tag, Gremlins, The Golden Girls

by Anonymousreply 78August 4, 2019 3:13 PM

Well, as I stated in another 80s thread, it was really a rough time. Yet, in many ways, some things were very exciting - in music - videos were becoming the norm, MTV and VH1 were exploding, and there was the "2nd British Invasion". Those were the bands like Culture Club, Thompson Twins, Duran Duran that were breaking new ground and the "New Wave" movement was fantastic! Cable TV was expanding the medium of television and broadening it's influence in society at large. However, 1987, the year I turned 23 I went to 36 funerals - friends, friends of friends, etc. I remember vividly when the AIDS Quilt came to be displayed and I was overwhelmed with anger, frustration, and hopelessness by the destruction that insidious disease had caused and the pain and suffering that it was still causing as I viewed the panels. The president never, repeat NEVER, mentioned AIDS ever during his time in office (1980-1988) so it was scary to see the people in power ignore an epidemic because of who it's victims were. Sigh!!! I hope this gives the OP some idea of what it was like and let me state - for the record - that this will be my LAST post in any 80s thread about anything having to do with the 80s. I'm very saddened by the memories I've evoked and I won't do this to myself anymore. Hate to be a Kill-Joy but that is just how I feel.

by Anonymousreply 79August 4, 2019 3:47 PM

[quote]The president never, repeat NEVER, mentioned AIDS ever during his time in office (1980-1988)

I’m no Reagan fan, in fact I despise him, but this isn’t true.

by Anonymousreply 80August 4, 2019 4:12 PM

I despise Reagan as well, but he did mention AIDS. not until it was far too late though

by Anonymousreply 81August 4, 2019 4:28 PM

Only the good and happy stuff please!

by Anonymousreply 82August 4, 2019 4:30 PM

Actually glad to see the hate for the 80s on here. People need to understand that the 80s destroyed core values and initiated some really horrible things that permeate today’s baseline politics and lifestyle. Capitalism, homophobia and conservatism crushed what was a vibrant and free culture. Slowly the idea that we should care for others disappeared from both the left and right. There used to be humane Republicans. There used to be caring Christians. The 80s shredded basic mores and resolved it all with capitalism and money at any cost. Instead of heroes like Lincoln or MLK or Gloria Steinem, we began to worship rich people like Trump.

by Anonymousreply 83August 4, 2019 4:37 PM

^ replaced it all

by Anonymousreply 84August 4, 2019 4:38 PM

As bad as it was, there was a still sense of optimism, a sense that no matter how bad things were, change was possible, and the ship could be turned around . People got mobilized, got out in the street and fought. You had groups like ACT UP, Larry Kramer doing whatever they could to get the message across. But of course Hollywood wasn't as demonized as it is today, so it meant something when an Elizabeth Taylor or Madonna stood up for the community.

Most of that is missing today. Society has become too cynical, jaded and most of all, accepting and complacent of the corruption and hatred. Everyone sits around and bitches for someone else to start a movement. A snappy comeback on Twitter is what passes for resistance. It looked like people were getting the message with the protests the first few months after the election, but everyone got complacent. Now people want someone to come in and save them. In the 80's people fought to save themselves.

by Anonymousreply 85August 4, 2019 5:00 PM

Erica Kane

Abby Ewing

Alexis Colby

Tina Lord Roberts

by Anonymousreply 86August 4, 2019 5:06 PM

The 80s were great if you were a child, like I was, but it was a pretty scary time for many adults, as so many posters here have explained.

I'm amused by all the 80s nostalgia we've seen for years now because I remember that in 1989, everybody seemed to be happy that the 80s were ending and they were looking forward to the 90s. It was a sense of "thank god this decade is almost fucking over!"

by Anonymousreply 87August 4, 2019 5:29 PM

R87 This is how I feel about the 2010s

by Anonymousreply 88August 4, 2019 5:40 PM

I never once feared getting shot at my school in the 80s.

by Anonymousreply 89August 4, 2019 6:30 PM

Sorry OP your thread got hijacked by gloom and doom. Yeah I know that part too - all too well. I'll let myself out.

by Anonymousreply 90August 4, 2019 6:52 PM

As a kid at the time I thought the 80's was pretty cool really, loved the OP video, surprised at the quality as most of those things are usually a blurry mess of NSTC VHS. My one thing that I'm most embarrassed about from that era is having engaged in some speciality gentleman's pursuits whilst watching Risky Business. Ugh.

by Anonymousreply 91August 4, 2019 8:28 PM

[quote]Sorry OP your thread got hijacked by gloom and doom.

His topic is the 1980s, r90. What in the name of fuck is there to be sorry about? Do you also discuss the wonders of the 1940s with European Jews?

by Anonymousreply 92August 4, 2019 8:37 PM

R92, maybe you didn’t read the actual OP. Ya know, what the fucking theme of the thread is supposed to be. Here let me repeat it for you:

[quote]What was [bold]great[/bold] about the 80s? [bold]Only the good and happy stuff! Music, movies, fashion...[/bold]

by Anonymousreply 93August 4, 2019 8:45 PM

Looking back on the 80s I don't think we'll ever have gay orgs that are truly 100% concerned about gay/lesbian issues.

Today GLAAD and HRC are obsessed with giving out awards to straight people and raising money so they can have their lavish celebrity filled parties.

by Anonymousreply 94August 4, 2019 8:46 PM

R93, these are for you to share with OP.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 95August 4, 2019 8:48 PM

Why you think anyone needs rose-colored glasses to remember the good times in their lives is beyond me.

Every era, every decade, every year has negatives, some more than others. It doesn’t mean that’s all we can focus on and think about every time someone brings up the timeframe. That’s stupid. OP asked for good memories, why people shit all over it is beyond me.

Yes, the 1980s had terrible times. But not for everyone and it wasn’t all negative all the time.

by Anonymousreply 96August 4, 2019 8:55 PM

Agreed R95.

My childhood in the 80s was mostly miserable. My parents were out of work a lot because of the two recessions, I wasn't very popular and only ever had a few friends who would usually abandon me when someone more interesting came long.

TV, movies, music, food all gave me comfort in the 80s and those are the things I remember most.

When I'm feeling really down, I watch my DVD of Summer Rental, have some pizza and I'm back in 1985 and feeling good.

by Anonymousreply 97August 4, 2019 8:58 PM

I'm going to sound nuts but I have an inexplicable aversion to all things 1980s . I hate,hate,hate the synthetic sound of eighties music. When I see a film made in the 1980s, I get almost nauseous and have to turn away. Something about the lighting actually turns my stomach. For what it's worth, I absolutely adore 60s and 70s film, television, and music . And I don't have this visceral unpleasant reaction to most current films and music either.

by Anonymousreply 98August 4, 2019 9:10 PM

You sound perfectly sane to me, r98. Well, except for not having this visceral unpleasant reaction to most current music.

by Anonymousreply 99August 4, 2019 9:12 PM

R72, Suck it! I'll just double-down!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 100August 5, 2019 12:11 AM

I hate you.

by Anonymousreply 101August 5, 2019 12:27 AM

[quote]I'm amused by all the 80s nostalgia we've seen for years now because I remember that in 1989, everybody seemed to be happy that the 80s were ending and they were looking forward to the 90s. It was a sense of "thank god this decade is almost fucking over!"

I think it depended on where you lived. I was an adult in the 80s, but didn’t live in NYC or similar locations. I agree that it’s nostalgia, in that you don’t realize what it was until it’s over and you look back on it. The three decades since have been pretty bad, so the 80s look a lot better by comparison.

by Anonymousreply 102August 5, 2019 12:50 AM

Growing up in the 80s was a blast. I can understand the older queens who were adulting in the 80s being bitter though.

by Anonymousreply 103August 5, 2019 12:54 AM

Going through the 80s as a kid really was a blast. It was like the 50s for Boomers.

by Anonymousreply 104August 5, 2019 1:03 AM

[R96] Yes, you are 100% correct - every decade, era, time & place has it's good & bad, it's ups & downs, it's triumphs & tragedies HOWEVER, that being said; I cannot think of ANY decade that began with such optimism, such potential for what was to come, and with such promise to then see almost an entire generation of the world's most gifted, most talented, and people who had such promise annihilated in the span of a few short years by a deadly pandemic and, in the U.S., the government turned a blind eye to the problem - I think the 1980s is unique in that area.

by Anonymousreply 105August 5, 2019 1:28 AM

There were a lot of people in America who liked the thought of a Ronbo, through might or SDI, crushing the Commies and not just trying to along with them. The fall of the Wall was the culmination, but then the country had no new grand mission afterward to continue to unify the majority.

by Anonymousreply 106August 5, 2019 1:31 AM

Agree R98 - not to quite that degree, but I feel physically agitated and upset by any 80s era music or images. Just a really bad period - I struggle to remember anything good. Maybe a good meal or a trip to Europe or California for the first time but nothing 80s specific.

by Anonymousreply 107August 5, 2019 3:02 AM

Dark terrifying decade that believed terrible over the top clothing hair and music would somehow compensate for how dreary it actually was.

by Anonymousreply 108August 5, 2019 3:14 AM

[quote]It was like the 50s for Boomers.

The '50s were a bore. Life began in 1963.

by Anonymousreply 109August 5, 2019 3:24 AM

"Let the Music Play" - Shannon

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 110August 5, 2019 6:01 AM

"it wasn’t all negative all the time."

Well [R96] - allow me say that you are ABSOLUTELY 100% correct! Many people emerged from 1980s as POSITIVE - you are right - most were not all NEGATIVE all the time. In fact, [R96] no longer being NEGATIVE in the 1980s was a pretty big deal... BRAVO, well stated!

by Anonymousreply 111August 5, 2019 2:29 PM

I ended up negative. I must have that CCR5 gene.

by Anonymousreply 112August 5, 2019 2:34 PM

Okay, okay! I'm going to put an end to all of this AND give Millennial, clueless, twink OP his answer to the "can of worms" question that he felt he needed to ask - this video incorporates EVERYTHING one needs to know about the decade of 1980 to 1990 - it shows all the 80s in all of it's rancid, putrid glory - the hair, the color schemes, the fonts, the jewelry, the lyrics are SPOT ON as to the mood of the time, the fashions are absolutely period and true to what was being worn by all, and also the choreography, the pulsating "aerobic" beat... This song and this video is the 80s in one neat vomit inducing nutshell = ENJOY!!! if you can... ENOUGH!! CLOSE THIS THREAD!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 113August 5, 2019 2:53 PM

Well done R113. Aaaandddd scene.

by Anonymousreply 114August 5, 2019 4:19 PM

R113 Eat a bag of dicks grandpa.

by Anonymousreply 115August 5, 2019 4:22 PM

I like the retro '80s artwork the children are doing these days.

Here's Kung Fury, for those who missed it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 116August 5, 2019 6:28 PM

And this Youtube channel compiles all of the best Retrowave songs in '80s style, including constantly new stuff.

It's great to listen to at work, like an Easy Listening radio station.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 117August 5, 2019 6:31 PM

[R115] At least I've had the sense to stay alive, stay HIV-, and spent the better part of 2 decades fighting for the rights that the younger gays take for granted and feel entitled to these days. As sad as it is to say were it not for some of us who joined ACT-UP, became radicalized (the term now is "woke"), and fought every day for YEARS to bring attention to the issues there would be no PREP, no PEP, no Marriage Equality - so maybe [R115], instead of being a snide, snot nose brat - stop and consider what us "grandpas" have helped to bring about for you and your generation. Or would that be too uncool?

by Anonymousreply 118August 5, 2019 10:54 PM

I like the Memphis Group, which is the design group that made the 80s look like the 80s.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 119August 5, 2019 11:53 PM

r119 another hated aspect of the '80s

by Anonymousreply 120August 5, 2019 11:53 PM

R119 I love it!

by Anonymousreply 121August 6, 2019 3:03 AM

"Strut" - Sheena Easton

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 122August 6, 2019 4:53 AM

I had a friend bring a gun to school in the 1970s. I confronted a teacher in the hall. "He's got a gun!" and she said, "What do you want me to do about it, get shot?" So I went to the principal.

Over Christmas he shot and killed himself, allegedly playing Russian roulette. There were no counselors for us, but they did set up a phone tree so that the kids could hear the news before returning to school.

by Anonymousreply 123August 6, 2019 3:10 PM

I had a perpetual crush and hard-on for the judge on "Night Court" and would wank with him in mind. I was in junior-high at the time and pretty desperate for material.

by Anonymousreply 124August 6, 2019 3:21 PM

Agree R120 - Memphis is another perfect example of how shitty the 80s were. Even interior design was ugly as sin. Memphis is possibly the most hideous design concept in the history of the 20th century.

by Anonymousreply 125August 6, 2019 3:22 PM

R123, wrong thread?

by Anonymousreply 126August 6, 2019 4:39 PM

I was responding to the person who said in the 80s they weren't afraid of being shot in school. They should have been.

by Anonymousreply 127August 7, 2019 12:46 PM

R127 Bitch, please. Mass shootings were not on the radar of anyone in the ‘80s or even pre-Columbine. If it did happen, it was an anomaly and not an epidemic that the average 80s student would’ve worried about.

by Anonymousreply 128August 7, 2019 1:01 PM

Playing video games with my friends on my Commodore 64, and later on being king of the schoolyard because I had an Amiga. Those were the days...

by Anonymousreply 129August 7, 2019 1:45 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!