Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Bill Sanderson resigns from Tennessee state legislature after reportedly hitting on young men

[quote]59-year-old Republican Tennessee State Rep. Bill Sanderson resigned today after reportedly hitting on men 40 years younger than him on Grindr despite being married to a woman and repeatedly voting for anti-LGBTQ legislation.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 38July 30, 2019 3:37 PM

Color me surprised!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1July 24, 2019 11:33 PM

In other breaking news: Sky=blue; Water=wet.

by Anonymousreply 2July 24, 2019 11:35 PM

Rep. Bill Sanderson to resign from legislature, citing family and business demands

A West Tennessee Republican lawmaker stepped down from statehouse Wednesday, citing a family matter and demands of his business.

Rep. Bill Sanderson, R-Kenton, confirmed Tuesday night that he planned to resign from his legislative seat.

His resignation became effective Wednesday at noon.

Sanderson, who owns White Squirrel Winery in Kenton, said his business has increased significantly in recent years and he's been unable to adequately maintain it while being a part-time lawmaker.

"It requires a full time (work)," he said, noting he lost the fruit of 135 peach trees while serving as a lawmaker this year. "I'm going to have to be at home more."

Additionally, Sanderson said his son-in-law was recently diagnosed with throat cancer as another reason behind his resignation.

"It just would be irresponsible for me to give as much time as it requires to be a state representative," he said.

With the House Republican caucus gathering in Nashville on Wednesday to select Rep. Cameron Sexton as House Speaker Glen Casada's successor, Sanderson said the timing provided him the right opportunity.

"I've been pondering this for two months," he said, adding he was waiting on the right time.

Sanderson said after the "whole Casada thing came about" and Gov. Bill Lee called a special session, which is set for Aug. 23, he knew Wednesday's caucus meeting would be the proper time.

Sanderson said the timing will allow there to be a special election and avoid requiring the county commission to appoint his replacement.

Earlier this year, Sanderson was appointed by Casada as chairman of the departments and agencies subcommittee.

Sanderson said he told Casada about his decision on Monday.

When asked if Casada had threatened to release any compromising information on him — as some around the legislature have speculated, given the timing — Sanderson denied the notion.

"Hell no," Sanderson said Tuesday night.

Casada is expected to resign from his leadership post Aug. 2 after he faced scrutiny for sending sexually explicit and misogynistic text messages.

"As far as I know, if there's anything up here on me, I'm unaware of it," Sanderson added.

Sanderson was elected to the General Assembly in November 2010. "I just felt it was important to have the people vote," he said.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3July 24, 2019 11:35 PM

The Usual Suspects.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4July 24, 2019 11:37 PM

Stop me if you've heard this one before, there is this family-values preaching Republican and turns out...

It's amazing how common this is.

by Anonymousreply 5July 24, 2019 11:37 PM

He also has a gay son.

by Anonymousreply 6July 24, 2019 11:38 PM

He looks like that guy who starred in that pseudo-comedy called The Office.

by Anonymousreply 7July 24, 2019 11:41 PM

Why is it necessary to call those he messaged "young men" if they're legal adults? When middle aged straight men fish for legal but younger women, these are seldom described as "young women", since male heterosexual interest in younger partners is totally normalized.

by Anonymousreply 8July 24, 2019 11:44 PM

Bill Sanderson posing for a photo with his gay son.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9July 24, 2019 11:49 PM

If only those young men weren't tempting poor Bill Sanderson, this never would have happened.

by Anonymousreply 10July 24, 2019 11:54 PM

R8 It is standard practice for journalists reporting on pedo cases.

You must always emphasise how young the victims are and how old the criminal.

by Anonymousreply 11July 24, 2019 11:59 PM

Now he will have a lot more time to devote to Grindr.

by Anonymousreply 12July 25, 2019 12:01 AM

r11 But the people he messaged were NOT underaged. And I see such language being used all the time: for example, on Wikipedia. When an eldergay gets on, or marries, a younger men, you will see the latter be described as "much younger husband", for example. I have no recollection of such salacious language being used to describe women married to much older men, despite the fact that this is so common in the showbiz.

by Anonymousreply 13July 25, 2019 12:04 AM

This is why I'm surprised all conservative women don't support gay rights. Why would they want to chance marrying a gay man because their community and society is intolerant?

by Anonymousreply 14July 25, 2019 12:17 AM

The Repigs never disappoint. It's always "no homo" until it isn't.

by Anonymousreply 15July 25, 2019 12:20 AM

Is his wife named 'Diane'?

by Anonymousreply 16July 25, 2019 12:24 AM

[quote]But the people he messaged were NOT underaged.

Does it fucking matter, R13? He's a goddamn hypocrite.

And he's the scum of the earth.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17July 25, 2019 12:30 AM

You're right, R13.

When journalists report on some alleged incident from decades ago they always mention the 'perpetrators' current age immediately adjacent to the alleged 'victim's age at the time of the incident.

So we often see screaming sentences about a 70 year old assaulting a teenager. But when we look closer we see a story about a 19 year old jerking-off with a 21 year old back in the 1960s.

by Anonymousreply 18July 25, 2019 12:32 AM

r17 Of course it matters. You're a fool if you don't think the way same-sex relationships or hookups are described in the media has no impact on how gay people are perceived. I've already seen people on Twitter describe the men as "teenage boys" (see below). This is false, and this is homophobic. You might not like this man, but the way he's talked about will from now on have an impact on you.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 19July 25, 2019 12:46 AM

I get the feeling his wife knew about it:

"For the record, I am not the first person to write about Sanderson’s Grindr messages. In January 2014, the gossip blog The Dirty published messages Sanderson sent to an unnamed male Vanderbilt student. Although now deleted from The Dirty’s site, the messages are still available via the Wayback Machine. In them Sanderson specifically states he is a “state rep” representing Obion, Lake and Dyer Counties — his actual district — and is in town for the next five months, staying at the Hotel Indigo. He includes a selfie, ostensibly of him in the hotel, and a picture of him with another woman, possibly his wife."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 20July 25, 2019 12:50 AM

[quote]Of course it matters. You're a fool if you don't think the way same-sex relationships or hookups are described in the media has no impact on how gay people are perceived. I've already seen people on Twitter describe the men as "teenage boys" (see below). This is false, and this is homophobic. You might not like this man, but the way he's talked about will from now on have an impact on you.

[quote]And @WKRN, here's the edited version of the article...... I'm curious... Was it the @tnhousegop, @TNGOP, or #BillSanderson himself that asked that you edit the article to leave out the part where? He's been recently accused of sending nude photos to teenages boys.

R19, unless he comes out it won't have an impact on gay men and he won't ever come out. In fact, he says the scandal has nothing to do with his resignation.

Nowhere in that Twitter quote are gays getting the blame for his behavior.

by Anonymousreply 21July 25, 2019 12:56 AM

Hawt!

by Anonymousreply 22July 25, 2019 1:24 AM

quelle surprise

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 23July 25, 2019 1:32 AM

Aww, he just wants to hold someone

by Anonymousreply 24July 25, 2019 1:44 AM

Vile. There’s a special place in hell for foul hypocrites like him. I hope he never finds peace or happiness.

by Anonymousreply 25July 25, 2019 3:08 AM

"repeatedly voting for anti-LGBTQ legislation"

Is anybody else Schock'd by this revelation?

by Anonymousreply 26July 25, 2019 3:33 AM

R26. Just how MANY items of anti-LGBTQ legislation did he "repeatedly" vote for?

How many?

by Anonymousreply 27July 25, 2019 9:44 PM

Even I don't think he's hawt!

by Anonymousreply 28July 25, 2019 9:56 PM

r27 I'm not r26, but you probably know that Tennessee had two major anti-LGBT bills just this legislative session. Rejecting gays as adoptive parents and a bathroom bill forbidding trans people from using bathroom of their choice and 4 more that they offered and which Sanderson supported, including allowing state contractors to discriminate against LGBT employees, Moreover, he has voted against gays whenever any of the following have been brought forward:

HOUSING State does not prohibit housing discrimination based on sexual orientation and gender identity. EMPLOYMENT State does not prohibit employment discrimination based on sexual orientation and gender identity. PUBLIC ACCOMMODATIONS State does not prohibit discrimination in public accommodations based on sexual orientation and gender identity. SCHOOL ANTI-BULLYING State does not have a law that addresses harassment and/or bullying of students based on sexual orientation and gender identity. EDUCATION State does not have a law that addresses discrimination against students based on sexual orientation and gender identity. TRANSGENDER HEALTHCARE State has neither a ban on insurance exclusions for transgender healthcare nor does it provide transgender-inclusive health benefits to state employees. GENDER MARKER UPDATES ON IDENTIFICATION DOCUMENTS State has no laws or policies that facilitate a gender marker change on driver’s licenses or birth certificates. CONVERSION THERAPY This state has no restrictions on so-called "conversion therapy."

by Anonymousreply 29July 25, 2019 10:19 PM

He has an out gay son!!!!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 30July 27, 2019 2:39 AM

The Pence family still has more homosexuals.

by Anonymousreply 31July 27, 2019 2:50 AM

Why do politicians persist with this vile unnecessary hypocrisy??

by Anonymousreply 32July 27, 2019 4:41 AM

Kind of a Lost Language of Cranes scenario

by Anonymousreply 33July 28, 2019 5:12 PM

An anti-gay Republican who turns out to be gay himself?! I'm shocked!

by Anonymousreply 34July 28, 2019 6:56 PM

kgyiy

by Anonymousreply 35July 29, 2019 2:59 AM

What does his gay son think?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 36July 29, 2019 3:56 PM

[quote]When an eldergay gets on, or marries, a younger men

Just the one, dear?

by Anonymousreply 37July 29, 2019 5:55 PM

r43453

by Anonymousreply 38July 30, 2019 3:37 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!