Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Do you avoid 'industrial oils'?

I'm talking about canola, palm, soybean, corn, and vegetable oils. I've heard that using these oils in your diet makes you more susceptible to sun damage, and other stuff.

by Anonymousreply 24January 13, 2020 1:35 PM

I only eat extra pure virgin olive oil that I press with olive's I've grown from organic materials.

Anything else is simply irresponsible.

by Anonymousreply 1July 15, 2019 8:28 PM

That "other stuff" being the deforestation of South American habitats for orangutans and 100s of other species.

Yes, I don't buy them. Also, this:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2July 16, 2019 6:49 AM

I try to avoid palm oil, for the reasons R2 referenced, but it is damn hard as it is in just about everything!

by Anonymousreply 3July 16, 2019 6:52 AM

I just found out my new lipbalm of choice (Burts Bees, who make an effective product I must admit) contains both canola & soy oil, probably washed in neurotoxic hexane & bleached given that the manufacturer is owned under a corporate umbrella (Chlorox) known for poisons.

I feel so dumb for not reading the ingredients before use like I usually do (I didn’t buy it myself, it was a gift). Luckily I’ve only been using it a couple of months, but having slathered it on all day everyday for weeks I’m a little worried I could have ingested a lot of poison. I’m throwing the balm right out now and making my own with beeswax & Vit E & foodgrade essential oil on the weekend.

I don’t cook wih these oils or others like them, and try to avoid foods & cosmetics containing them but it can be hard when so many products do. I make almost all meals from scratch and have begun making health care products too, plus I look up what teas & processed foods (if I must use them) contain least toxins. I feel hopeless about it some days, though, given that even the basic fruits & vegetables we can get at the local markets still have trace toxins..

by Anonymousreply 4January 11, 2020 10:57 AM

South American habitats for orangutans? That's a big "oops".

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5January 11, 2020 11:04 AM

Render the fat from the meats you purchase and use that in your cooking. Right now in my fridge, I have rendered chicken fat, duck fat, pork fat, and bacon fat. Get on it, OP. Save your Crisco for fisting.

by Anonymousreply 6January 11, 2020 11:31 AM

Yes. I use safflower, olive or peanut oils, depending. But those could be proven bad someday, too. I use a lot of butter, too.

by Anonymousreply 7January 11, 2020 11:54 AM

And, like r6 suggests, I keep bacon and fowl fat around, too (although I buy the chicken and duck fat at the market). It’s been maligned, but animal fat is fine. Certainly healthier than canola oil!

by Anonymousreply 8January 11, 2020 11:56 AM

Olive oil first, for salads, roasting, red sauces, etc. Corn oil, I assume made in the US, for basic frying, to save money. At least I know what's in corn oil.

by Anonymousreply 9January 11, 2020 11:59 AM

Animal fats, while yummy, are pure saturated fat which will cause heart disease. The only oil that is unambiguously good for you is pure olive oil. All other oils are suspect in one study or other.

by Anonymousreply 10January 11, 2020 12:18 PM

And so, R10, you are a strict vegan?

by Anonymousreply 11January 11, 2020 12:20 PM

Not at all. I mostly use olive oil but use canola oil for mayonnaise because there's a lot of research supporting it's good cholesterol properties. I eat meat 2 or 3 times a month. I eat a lot of roasted fish (omega-3). When there are conflicting studies, I don't really worry about it all that much. Everything in moderation.

by Anonymousreply 12January 11, 2020 12:27 PM

A lot of roasted fish, eh? I think you need not worry about the oils in your diet and spend your time getting your papers in order.

Between the mercury in your system and the Fukushima radiation, you're a dead woman, R12.

by Anonymousreply 13January 11, 2020 12:44 PM

Lol, silly rabbit. That's just deep sea fish. Salmon, tilapia, croaker, mackerel, shellfish are all good. I live on the East Coast in a city with great fresh fish markets in my neighborhood.

by Anonymousreply 14January 11, 2020 12:55 PM

We’re all gonna DIE.

by Anonymousreply 15January 12, 2020 3:59 PM

It's impossible for me. And for 99% of the US population.

by Anonymousreply 16January 12, 2020 4:03 PM

Where we at with oils in dairy alternatives? There’s sunflower oil in oat & almond milk...:/

by Anonymousreply 17January 13, 2020 12:29 PM

R5 - hardly the point of R2's comment, right?

by Anonymousreply 18January 13, 2020 12:51 PM

OP and all of the rest of you who've posted here have absolutely ZERO Wessonality.

by Anonymousreply 19January 13, 2020 12:59 PM

We do this thread 2x a year. R4 - MARY! yes, your 6 months of industrial lip balm poisoned your body with toxic chemicals. Your slim hope is chelation in Montreux with colloidal silver, and lip amputation. The clock is ticking.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 20January 13, 2020 1:05 PM

I like avocado oil for cooking.

It's neutral in taste and has a high smoke point. Costco has the best price, but Aldi sells it, too.

by Anonymousreply 21January 13, 2020 1:15 PM

Lip amputation? OMG!

What about rimming someone who uses 'industrial oil' in his own kitchen? Is that going cost me my lips?

That seems grossly unfair.

by Anonymousreply 22January 13, 2020 1:16 PM

Yes amputation. And don't sit down on public transport. TOXIC PLASTIC! I tanned my own sustainably hunted woodland critters for my ELECTRIC car seats, using traditional ingredients harvested by happy peasants in the Moroccan highlands. I'd like to use my negative carbon footprint sedan but my state law forbids it on the roads. Big Auto = Death

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 23January 13, 2020 1:31 PM

I blocked the corporate shill who wrote that animal fats cause heart disease and half the thread disappeared.

by Anonymousreply 24January 13, 2020 1:35 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!