Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Scarlett Johansson blames “Political Correctness” for costing her a role as a Trans Man

The white privilege jumped out quick...

“Scarlett Johansson’s been subjected to a fair amount of criticism over a few roles she’s agreed to take on. There was, for instance, the uproar over her casting as Major Mira Killian in 2017's Ghost in the Shell, as her character was based off a Japanese manga. More recently, Johansson dropped out of the (ostensibly cancelled) film Rub & Tug, after she received criticism over being cast as a trans man.

And yet, it appears these controversies have not taught Johansson the importance of casting minority and trans actors in the few roles that exist for them. In fact, according to an interview in As If magazine (the Daily Mail has it) Johansson’s learned...pretty much nothing, blaming “political correctness” for costing her the Rub & Tug role.

Per the Daily Mail:

‘You know, as an actor I should be allowed to play any person, or any tree, or any animal because that is my job and the requirements of my job,’ she said point blank.

She continued: ‘I feel like it’s a trend in my business and it needs to happen for various social reasons, yet there are times it does get uncomfortable when it affects the art because I feel art should be free of restrictions.’

‘I think society would be more connected if we just allowed others to have their own feelings and not expect everyone to feel the way we do.’

One of the “various social reasons” Johansson cannot play “any person,” to recap, at least where Rub & Tug is concerned, is that transgender actors have had a hard time getting cast as anything other than transgender characters; to have a cisgender actor play a transgender character takes away one of the few roles available to the trans community.

And, of course, there’s the issue of accurate representation, which GLAAD pointed out in a statement shortly after Johansson announced she would drop the role. Per Variety:

“Scarlett Johansson’s announcement, together with the transgender voices who spoke out about this film, are game changers for the future of transgender images in Hollywood,” said GLAAD president and CEO Sarah Kate Ellis. “Hollywood changed how Americans understand gay and lesbian lives, and TV is starting to do the same for transgender people with authentic transgender portrayals being major hits with critics and audiences. The film industry has a real opportunity to do the same.”

This isn’t about “political correctness,” it’s about accurately representing the minority communities that have so long been ignored, mocked, or stereotyped by Hollywood. Johansson’s IMDB list of credits is pretty damn long. She can afford to leave a few roles to the people they’re right for.“

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 60August 13, 2019 12:05 PM

I like Scarlett Johansson and think she's a good actress. Her statement is really bold and shows that she is not able to truly put her feet into someone else's shoes. She's so successful as an actress, it just seems selfish to me.

by Anonymousreply 1July 13, 2019 8:57 PM

The character was not a tranny tho, must they claim everyone as one of them

by Anonymousreply 2July 13, 2019 9:04 PM

I agree with her.

by Anonymousreply 3July 13, 2019 9:06 PM

If straight men play as lesbians, then an actress can play a “trans man”.

by Anonymousreply 4July 13, 2019 9:08 PM

[quote]‘You know, as an actor I should be allowed to play any person, or any tree, or any animal because that is my job and the requirements of my job,’ she said point blank.

I'd love to see her play a Palestinian mother who loses her land and livelihood to an illegal Sodastream factory.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5July 13, 2019 9:09 PM

Yes r2, the character was a biological female who had not undergone any surgery. There is no reason at all why Johansson should have been denied this role and I'm glad she's speaking out and not allowing herself to be beaten into submission.

OP is an idiot and r1 talks shit.

R3, perhaps she could play a Palestinian worker who lost their job because the SodaStream factory they worked in closed down thanks to the BDS "movement".

by Anonymousreply 6July 13, 2019 9:15 PM

Wasn't she also set to play an Asian?

So dismissive, her comment res "social" reasons...

by Anonymousreply 7July 13, 2019 9:24 PM

r6 You're right, what was I thinking, Palestinians all get very grateful when Israel steals their land. Look at the people below, I'm sure the ones doing the V sign with their hand are asking Israel to confiscate twice more land.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8July 13, 2019 9:41 PM

I’m pretty much in agreement with her. I also agree that all sorts of minority actors are grossly underrepresented in Hollywood. I don’t think the way that gets addressed is by telling actors they cannot act. These are two separate, if vaguely related, issues.

If SJ should not be allowed to play a trans man, does that mean gay male actors should not be allowed to portray straight male characters? Any actor who can credibly act in a role that transcends his or her own identity should be considered for the part.

If I’m a director, I should audition all comers and choose who gives the best audition. Regardless of the actors personal labels.

by Anonymousreply 9July 13, 2019 9:47 PM

The character in Rub and Dug wasn't trans. Not all minorities are underrepresented in Hollywood. Blacks are actually overrepresented at this point. Asians aren't underrepresented--because the percentage of Asians in the U.S. is still very low. Latinos are the one group who are seriously underrepresented.

And this idea that you have to be who you're playing shows a basic lack of understanding as to what acting is.

by Anonymousreply 10July 13, 2019 9:52 PM

Oh shut up about blacks already

by Anonymousreply 11July 13, 2019 9:55 PM

So did that Rub and Tug movie go through? Who's going to play the lead? Did they pick a trans person?

by Anonymousreply 12July 13, 2019 9:57 PM

This is the Japanese cartoon character she played. I guess it's Asian as much as a cartoon can be Asian.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13July 13, 2019 10:00 PM

R13 Hilariously, anime characters do not have Japanese eyes, they all have that wide eye look that are definitely not asian eyes at all

by Anonymousreply 14July 13, 2019 10:02 PM

But the character is Japanese

by Anonymousreply 15July 13, 2019 10:09 PM

I think she wanted her Oscar movie ala Charlize Theron in Monster, or Nicole Kidman in The Hours, or Hillary Swank in Boys Don't Cry or Million Dollar Baby.

When "beautiful" women ugly up and put prosthetics on and aren't afraid to look ugly people reward them with Oscars. I think she knew this. She didn't really care about the trans community. She wanted that Oscar.

by Anonymousreply 16July 13, 2019 10:11 PM

[quote]Blacks are actually overrepresented at this point. Asians aren't underrepresented--because the percentage of Asians in the U.S. is still very low. Latinos are the one group who are seriously underrepresented.

Depending on how you're calculating the numerator and denominator, I suppose you could figure out a way to make this work. Costa Rican-American actor Harry Shum Jr. was born in Limón, Costa Rica to Chinese immigrants. His first language was Spanish. He subsequently learned Cantonese and English. Actress Alexis Bledel (Rory Gilmore) is a White Hispanic of Argentine and Mexican heritage. Bledel grew up in a Spanish speaking household and did not learn English until she began school.

But, realistically there are 5.6% Asians in the US and 17.6% Latinos. You are not going to be able to draw the conclusion that Asians are over-represented and Latinos under. 1 in 20 roles in mainstream productions are not Asians.

[quote]Hilariously, anime characters do not have Japanese eyes, they all have that wide eye look that are definitely not asian eyes at all

Actually, what gives Asian eyes their appearance is the existence of the epicanthic fold, the skin fold of the upper eyelid, covering the inner corner (medial canthus) of the eye. While those anime eyes are wider and rounder, they also still have the fold of skin.

by Anonymousreply 17July 13, 2019 10:12 PM

Yeah, the eyes look really Asian, right

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18July 13, 2019 10:14 PM

My boyfriend is Japanese and when I see old pictures like this , I see some of him! He really does look like these old drawings. His ancestors from Nagoya must be distantly related.

I sometimes with Japan had never been influenced by the west. They had such a cool world going on back then.

I heard this story that Asians used to think the almond eye was beautiful and the emperors of the day would seek out women with eyes like that. I don't know why they stopped thinking it was beautiful and did eyelid surgery. I think many people find it beautiful. Big anime bug eyes are not that beautiful.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 19July 13, 2019 10:20 PM

I agree with ScarJo.

by Anonymousreply 20July 13, 2019 10:21 PM

What would she feel if Mel Gibson was cast to play Moses in a movie about Exodus?

by Anonymousreply 21July 13, 2019 10:23 PM

Bjork has more "Asian" looking eyes than that "Japanese" anime character.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 22July 13, 2019 10:27 PM

Chad Michael Murray had more of a right to play the character in Ghost in the Shell because he's a quarter Japanese.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 23July 13, 2019 10:31 PM

Why was Mark Paul Gossellar cast as Zach Morris? He wasn't even a real blonde! His mother was from Bali! Yet they dyed his hair and he played a blonde.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 24July 13, 2019 10:36 PM

[quote]Yeah, the eyes look really Asian, right

That, of course, is not what I said.

Bjork and many other Europeans, such as Jens Byggmark, have epicanthic folds which is what gives them a slightly Asian cast to their eyes.

What I said of the anime picture was that while the eyes are wider and rounder, they continue to have epicanthic folds, not that they looked Asian. If I had to guess, I'd bet it was intentional to combine the features in that manner, exactly for that reason.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 25July 13, 2019 10:42 PM

R25 Japanese culture is obsessed with western looks

by Anonymousreply 26July 13, 2019 10:46 PM

Western culture is obsessed with Japanese culture supposedly being obsessed with Western looks.

by Anonymousreply 27July 13, 2019 11:08 PM

Both are obsessed with each other. Females paint a cat eye line on and try to have seductive smokey eyes and they do surgery to put an eye fold. Grass is greener on the other side. They must think it's neat to has like that and I think most blue eyes people are not enthralled by it as much.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 28July 13, 2019 11:20 PM

Scarlett Johansson would have made a great lesbian.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 29July 13, 2019 11:31 PM

Well, I don't care who is in this movie. It sounds like shit. She's a shitty actress and I don't like anything she's ever been in. Although I've only seen about 3 movies of hers. That was enough. And Lost In Translation was stupid. I never got the hype. She was so fucking boring in it

Everything about her is boring

by Anonymousreply 30July 14, 2019 12:09 AM

I kinda agree with her. Do we want gay people relegated to only playing gay people? If a good straight part comes up should gays be excluded from the part?

by Anonymousreply 31July 14, 2019 12:32 AM

Indeed, r31. It is acting, after all.

by Anonymousreply 32July 14, 2019 12:33 AM

[quote]Do we want gay people relegated to only playing gay people? If a good straight part comes up should gays be excluded from the part?

That's the whole point - gays ARE often excluded from straight parts, so if they're going to be excluded from straight roles, at least let them have the gay roles! Yes, it would be wonderful if anyone could play whatever role based on talent, but that's not how Hollywood works.

by Anonymousreply 33July 14, 2019 12:34 AM

Hollywood wants to have straight movies with only straight actors, and gay movies without any gay actors.

by Anonymousreply 34July 14, 2019 12:37 AM

You missed the point R33. If you are saying she can't play a transgender person than a transgender person should not be able to play a straight person. It's called acting and the best person for the role should get it.

by Anonymousreply 35July 14, 2019 12:37 AM

Many trans women insist that they ARE women. Full stop. Just the same as bio women. No difference at all. So....of course SJ should play the part.

Another reason is that SJ is a popular and successful movie star. Unlike so many trans women actors/actresses/actrx (ok none)

by Anonymousreply 36July 14, 2019 12:46 AM

I have to agree with the protesters. Sorry Scarlett has to sacrifice a part, but it's going to take a bunch of bitching and pain to change people's minds and get them to think of trans people as viable actors. Politely asking isn't going to make enough waves. It's only bitching and causing a ruckus that gets the squeaky wheel oiled first.

Hit those Harvey Weinstein pig producers, and sacrifice some parts for actors which in this case happens to be THE HIGHEST PAID ACTRESS IN THE WORLD who is currently filming another movie in her franchise, probably paid 20 million dollars. She's like the 1% of the acting world and she's complaining about not having her way while LGBQT actors will NEVER EVER EVER even have a shot at being considered appropriate for something like that because of their visage only, not their acting chops.

by Anonymousreply 37July 14, 2019 1:03 AM

[Quote] Hollywood wants to have straight movies with only straight actors, and gay movies without any gay actors.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 38July 14, 2019 7:18 AM

She is a good friend and defender of Woody Allen. Enough said.

by Anonymousreply 39July 14, 2019 8:04 AM

R37, if trans people are going to insist that only they can play trans characters then they will have extremely limited careers as the logical extension of their demand is that trans actors can never play non-trans roles.

Tex Gill was a biological female who had not undergone any kind of transition. Who exactly are the actors who could "legitimately" play this role? Names please.

For trans roles to exist then they need to be part of financially viable film projects. This movie is now effectively dead.

If trans actors want to be considered viable actors then they need to understand that acting is about portraying someone other than yourself.

by Anonymousreply 40July 14, 2019 8:22 AM

Funny how she gets backlash for saying as an actress she should be able to play whoever she wants yet no one says anything when people say the same thing about the actress playing Ariel, guessing it's becasue she's white.

by Anonymousreply 41July 14, 2019 8:26 AM

The "politically correct" and "woke" are nothing if not hypocrites.

And speaking of hypocrites, why is R8 posting the mouthpiece of homo-murdering Qatar on a gay board???

by Anonymousreply 42July 14, 2019 8:31 AM

God she's annoying.

And half of you are only agreeing because you have transpanic. We all know she can't play anything because she can't act.

by Anonymousreply 43July 14, 2019 8:54 AM

[Quote] transpanic.

That's a new one.

by Anonymousreply 44July 14, 2019 10:29 AM

Fuck Jezebel.

by Anonymousreply 45July 14, 2019 10:43 AM

Ripped off from dead gays like Matthew Shepard, r44

by Anonymousreply 46July 14, 2019 11:14 AM

its her we cant stand, she is odious, obnoxious, a brat and a mess.

go away lady

by Anonymousreply 47July 14, 2019 11:17 AM

Yes and annoying indeed!

by Anonymousreply 48July 14, 2019 11:18 AM

[Quote] obnoxious, a brat and a mess.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 49July 14, 2019 11:22 AM

She's the highest paid actress in the world! She's bitching about it? I hope they backlash any other attempt she as to play a trans person.

by Anonymousreply 50July 14, 2019 2:22 PM

But the character she was set to play wasn’t trans, didn’t identify as trans. This is all based on a lie.

by Anonymousreply 51July 14, 2019 10:29 PM

[quote] its her we can't stand

Why are you talking about yourself in the Plural form, R47?

by Anonymousreply 52July 14, 2019 10:43 PM

Remember when they had Halle Berry play Storm in the X-Men movies. The black SJWs had a fit because apparently Halle wasn't "black enough", and even in the recent X-Men movies where they cast Alexandra Shipp, a 'complete' black woman, they were still not satisfied. You can give them what they want but they will continue complaining anyway.

by Anonymousreply 53July 14, 2019 11:38 PM

She is one of the most overrated actresses of her time. She has been foisted upon us for years.

by Anonymousreply 54July 15, 2019 11:57 AM

R53 Both Halle and Shipp are actually biracial. Storm is supposed to be from two black parents and dark skin, two things neither actress are. It's become common for Hollywood to only have lightskin biracial actresses in roles where the character is supposed to be a black woman in every film except for roles in films where the black female character is a slave or downtrodden in some way then HW never has trouble finding a darkskin non-biracial black actress for that role. Just look at how all the major young female talent that is being heavily promoted by HW and get to play the love interest, in action films, and more diverse roles appear black are all actually biracial (Zendaya, Amandla, Shipp, Yara, Laura Harrier, Tessa Thompson). It's not a coincidence and nothing like the issue between ScarJo and trans people.

by Anonymousreply 55July 16, 2019 12:27 AM

R55, I've got to agree with you there--biracial women with sweet round faces are the go-to for Hollywood these days--it's almost a joke as to how predictable the look is. Black Panther was a noticeable exception.

I give Halle Berry a pass because she started out in a tougher environment and she's truly beautiful, not a round-faced cookie cutter type.

by Anonymousreply 56July 16, 2019 2:53 AM

Where was the whining when Cillian Murphy and Jared Leto were winning awards internationally for playing trans? Was it useful to the movement back then, lo those 10-is years ago?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 57July 16, 2019 3:22 AM

[Quote] and she's truly beautiful, not a round-faced cookie cutter type.

Didn't Halle get plastic surgery?

by Anonymousreply 58July 16, 2019 4:37 AM

Nose job and a love of Botox, but it's still a geat bone structure.

by Anonymousreply 59July 16, 2019 6:46 AM

R55 Are you really going to say Laura Harrier shouldn't have been biracial in Spiderman : Homecoming? Her dad was WHITE! Michael Keaton, hello! Maybe the others you can complain about but let's not start in on biracial people when they actually are written to be biracial. Michael Keaton was i it because he was a star. What you want him to be out and them to cast Idris Elba as the bad guy?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 60August 13, 2019 12:05 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!