Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Is It True That Andy Griffith Hated Gays

So he arranged for Jim Nabors to get a spin off, thinking it would fail and he'd be shed of him forever.

by Anonymousreply 20August 22, 2020 12:15 PM

Did he? Aunt Bea seemed like a clam licker.

by Anonymousreply 1July 8, 2019 6:13 PM

Barney Fife sure did seem homo to me

by Anonymousreply 2July 8, 2019 6:24 PM

Andy Griffith was on the down-low during his early theater days in North Carolina. Before he made it big, he appeared in The Lost Colony, a historic play that is performed every summer by college drama students in an outdoor theater on the Outer Banks. It was well known as a haven for young gaylings in training.

by Anonymousreply 3July 8, 2019 6:43 PM

Impossible, OP. We all know about Aunt Bee.

by Anonymousreply 4July 8, 2019 7:42 PM

Where did you hear this rumor OP?

by Anonymousreply 5July 8, 2019 7:46 PM

r5 The voices in his head told him.

by Anonymousreply 6July 8, 2019 7:48 PM

Cheesy song thread!!!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7July 8, 2019 10:58 PM

Andy Griffin hated gays. While Barney and Aunt Bee MAY have been gay (Howard and Floyd definitely were), he didn't care about the characters, he those portraying those characters were straight.

by Anonymousreply 8July 9, 2019 12:39 AM

He majored in music at UNC and directed the youth choir at a nearby church during college. He also had three wives.

by Anonymousreply 9July 9, 2019 12:54 AM

Barney wasn’t gay. He was mentally retarded. They only let him have one bullet.

by Anonymousreply 10July 9, 2019 8:18 PM

Music major? Southern church choir director? Three wives?

Sounds gay to me.

by Anonymousreply 11July 10, 2019 12:22 PM

I read the book Andy and Don a few years ago. IIRC, Andy had no problems with Jim other than a little jealousy over Jim's singing ability. Jim got along with everyone, even the prickly Frances Bavier.

However, Andy did not like George "Goober" Lindsey.

by Anonymousreply 12July 10, 2019 3:39 PM

George Lindsey was reportedly a miserable prick in real life, so no surprise there.

by Anonymousreply 13July 10, 2019 3:53 PM

Character actor Jason Wingreen gave an interview several years ago saying that Griffith went off on a racist rant against a black actor during shooting of a "Matlock" episode.

It really wouldn't surprise me if he was bigoted in other ways, too, but it may have also been something that got worse as he got older, which is a strange but common phenomenon.

by Anonymousreply 14July 10, 2019 4:08 PM

In his later life, Griffith was noted in his home state of North Carolina for championing liberal causes and Democratic candidates in a conservative Republican-controlled state. In 2008, he appeared with Ron Howard in a Funny or Die video endorsement for Barack Obama's presidential campaign. He got a lot of flak about it from his Mayberry fans back home.

Therefore, it would surprise me to learn he was bigoted against any group.

by Anonymousreply 15July 12, 2019 10:18 PM

I wasn’t taking any chances so I waited to come out until he kicked the bucket

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16July 12, 2019 10:38 PM

I read that Andy tried to get Aunt Bee on the Gomer spin off too and she refused to budge her fat ass.

by Anonymousreply 17July 13, 2019 11:56 AM

Andy also was responsible for throwing Elinor Donahue off the show. He didn't like that she was more popular with him, despite having excellent chemistry with him.

Andy purposely kept popular characters like Otis and the Darlings to limited appearances to keep his own character up.

by Anonymousreply 18July 13, 2019 4:17 PM

R18

I didn't hear that about Jim but I heard that about Donahue.

by Anonymousreply 19August 22, 2020 12:04 PM

Donahue asked to be released from her contract with the show.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 20August 22, 2020 12:15 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!