Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Eldergays, tell me about orpahanges

Was the atmosphere in them really so Dickensian? When did they disappear from the West? Which type of children stood the best chance of getting adopted?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12July 6, 2019 1:39 AM

My brother was adopted in the early 70's and there was already a waiting list to adopt babies. i had an uncle by marriage who grew up in an orphanage, but he would be in his 100's by now. I don't think you will get many first hand experiences.

by Anonymousreply 1July 5, 2019 2:46 PM

I'm 39 and was in an orphanage in Guatemala for two years, from ages 6-8 (late '80s). The place was actually pretty well-maintained. We had bunk beds and three balanced meals, including snacks and dessert. We always had clean clothes, but no one owned anything, so at the end of the day it all went back into a great, big pile for it to be washed and worn again the next day by whoever. Also, we didn't have chores and we didn't have to work for our keep. However, there was a lot of physical and sexual abuse which was kept hushed up because most of the orphans like me were eventually adopted by American families.

by Anonymousreply 2July 5, 2019 4:23 PM

We’re you abused, r2?

by Anonymousreply 3July 5, 2019 4:49 PM

An old friend of mine was in an orphanage in 1933 at the age of 4 when he was adopted by millionaires from the mid-west.

by Anonymousreply 4July 5, 2019 5:12 PM

R2 Yes. In the mid-'90s a bunch of us (including me) came forward with the allegations. My adoptive father was none too pleased and wouldn't believe me because he had become a spokesperson for the place in the intervening years.

by Anonymousreply 5July 5, 2019 5:32 PM

[quote]Which type of children stood the best chance of getting adopted?

White ones, preferably blondes with blue eyes.

by Anonymousreply 6July 5, 2019 5:43 PM

Marilyn Monroe lived at the Hollygrove Home for Children (which closed in 2005) for a couple of years in the 1930s while her mother was institutionalized and her foster mother was unable to afford her care.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7July 5, 2019 5:51 PM

Snitches get stitches, R5.

by Anonymousreply 8July 5, 2019 5:51 PM

I once had a class with a Croatian girl who spent her entire childhood in an orphanage. She seemed pretty normal.

Sadly, I didn't get to know her well enough to ask the really in-depth questions.

by Anonymousreply 9July 5, 2019 5:54 PM

[quote]An old friend of mine was in an orphanage in 1933 at the age of 4 when he was adopted by millionaires from the mid-west.

Sounds like one of my success stories!

by Anonymousreply 10July 5, 2019 5:56 PM

A friend of my family adopted a toddler from China 18 years ago. The authorities had found her as a 2-year-old in squalid conditions desperately trying to care for her newborn sister after having been abandoned by their parents for what are probably obvious reasons (one child policy etc). Incredibly sad story; they were moved to an orphanage and her little sister was immediately adopted but the little girl stayed there 18 months. She had a lot of behavior problems as a result when she was little, but she's a warm, intelligent and very funny college junior these days. She says she remembers her stay in the orphanage almost like a stay at the hospital - safe but lonely, everything very sterile, everyone all business.

by Anonymousreply 11July 5, 2019 6:01 PM

[quote]A friend of my family adopted a toddler from China

Sorry, stopped reading after this part.

by Anonymousreply 12July 6, 2019 1:39 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!