Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Vocal Fry

Now that I know what it is, I cannot unhear it.

Can people who speak this way learn to stop?

by Anonymousreply 25December 18, 2019 12:39 PM

They learned it; they can unlearn it, but it will take a while.

by Anonymousreply 1July 4, 2019 1:25 PM

Here's your answer, OP.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2July 4, 2019 1:45 PM

There are studies that say women think it makes them sound more intelligent. Blame the Kardashians.

by Anonymousreply 3July 4, 2019 1:46 PM

Vocal chords are kinda gross. The look like a vadge.

by Anonymousreply 4July 4, 2019 2:20 PM

Can they learn to stop? Yes, if enough concerned citizens step up to slap the creaking fry right out of their whore mouths as soon as they start talking.

by Anonymousreply 5July 4, 2019 4:46 PM

If we got rid of those with vocal fry, NPR would have no guests.

by Anonymousreply 6July 4, 2019 5:20 PM

Howard Stern on fry.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7July 4, 2019 5:24 PM

The Kardashians get blamed for vocal fry, because they have valley girl vocal fry. They sound girlish with the uptick. Jane Fonda always speaks vocal fry - her artificially lowered larynx gives her that deeper, sexy, monotonous and slightly scared quality to her vocal production, ever since Klute.

Vocal Fry is very prevalent, it removes the musicality from a voice. It has nothing to do with how low the timber is, but the larynx is compressed and that will deepen the tone of even a young girls voice, but mostly it constricts full expression.

by Anonymousreply 8July 4, 2019 5:45 PM

The objective must be to sound world weary and blasé. However I doubt most vocal fried women know what blasé means.

by Anonymousreply 9July 4, 2019 5:54 PM

Christine Blasey Ford, the woman who testified during Bret Kavanaugh's hearings (nomination for US Supreme Court), spoke with vocal fry. I don't notice Jane Fonda speaking with vocal fry, like R8 observes. I think vocal fry is something that became popular within the last 15 years. I was surprised to hear Ford, who is 50+ years old, adopt vocal fry.

I also really hate uptalk or upspeak, where everything sounds like a question. Both men and women do that.

by Anonymousreply 10July 4, 2019 6:12 PM

R2 why are you posting pussy pics on DL?

by Anonymousreply 11July 4, 2019 6:17 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12July 4, 2019 7:29 PM

R11, why are you posting stupid, nonsensical comments on DL? Women are gay too, and your "joke" falls flat.

by Anonymousreply 13July 4, 2019 7:36 PM

R12, meet R7.

by Anonymousreply 14July 4, 2019 7:37 PM

Dudes do vocal fry as well. Also, people get it from the heroin and opioids--I only need to take a vicodin or two and it just happens. Some people have naturally husky voices and that's something different. People who deliberately do the frying need a sharp slap. Many are on house hunting shows. I want to slap and slap.

by Anonymousreply 15July 4, 2019 9:31 PM

A lot of people are doing this now. Opioid culture is a major offender. Listen to people who do a lot of heroin or pills. They talk all slow and fried.

by Anonymousreply 16July 4, 2019 9:38 PM

Or be a young woman in her 20's

by Anonymousreply 17July 4, 2019 10:49 PM

I'm not interested in an argument, but Jane Fonda DOES speak in vocal fry. She's become very good at it. She adds some breath to it. BUTT. An artificial lowering of the modal speaking voice through pushing down your larynx is exactly what she does. She doesn't call it that but has spoken about consciously lowering her voice because of one of her neurosis or excuses or man pleasing sex kitten ways at some time. I sometimes like her voice - she does it well. But it shakes. Because the airway is compressed through the vocal cords. Her stardom was way before my time, but that is not the bitch's natural voice.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18July 5, 2019 1:26 AM

LOL @R12 that Howard Stern video!! The perfect example of vocal fry.

by Anonymousreply 19July 5, 2019 3:50 AM

I thought I invented it.

by Anonymousreply 20July 5, 2019 4:49 AM

R18 , We can respectfully disagree about Jane Fonda and vocal fry. I just don't hear it. Would you say that Elizabeth Holmes uses vocal fry to lower her voice?

by Anonymousreply 21July 5, 2019 6:58 PM

No matter how much I want to listen to what I'm sure is good dermatological advice, I had to bail out on the 3rd video of hers that I watched.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 22December 18, 2019 12:18 AM

Please see Heartthrob Dean from Survivor for annoying male vocal fry. So annoying!

by Anonymousreply 23December 18, 2019 12:22 AM

Jack Conte, the CEO of Patreon, has really bad vocal fry. It's also hard to believe he's straight, but apparently so. The interviewer in this video is also doing it, but had a naturally deeper voice so it doesn't sound as bad.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 24December 18, 2019 12:32 AM

That's the guy from Pamplemoose.

by Anonymousreply 25December 18, 2019 12:39 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!