Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Were you ever casually naked around your dad or other guys growing up?

I never saw my dad naked. He seemed uptight about his body. But I had friends who stripped down around their dads and brothers at getaways and Boy Scout camp like it was no big deal.

I could also never be naked in a locker room, although friends did it like it was second nature.

I have pretty major body issues, and I'm not sure if the modern Instaho era or growing up with Catholic body shame is more to blame.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 65July 2, 2019 5:01 PM

Most of the time I was

by Anonymousreply 1July 1, 2019 5:07 PM

No, never. I never saw my parents naked, or really anyone else until junior high gym class, and it all made me uncomfortable.

by Anonymousreply 2July 1, 2019 5:10 PM

I walked in on my parents once, but they were only playing leapfrog.

by Anonymousreply 3July 1, 2019 5:14 PM

I showered with my Dad as a very young child. I recall pointing at his dick, which was higher up than my head, I was that young, and asking him what it was. He said I had one too, and I had to look.

by Anonymousreply 4July 1, 2019 5:27 PM

naked at the beach

by Anonymousreply 5July 1, 2019 6:17 PM

Yes. I used to take showers with my dad every now and then. I'm not sure if that's something all families do. I can't imagine ever taking one with my child (if I had one). I like to shower alone if I can help it.

I definitely remember his penis making an impression on me. It looked huge to me. Then again, I was 4 or 5 years old at most. Everything looks big when you're that age. Looking back now, I think he was probably average. Then again, it's hard to tell until a man is hard how big they really are.

by Anonymousreply 6July 1, 2019 6:30 PM

I saw my parents nakedness a few times growing up. But as far as I can remember, I would never be naked in front of them. Never showered at a gym with my dad. I would’ve been horrified. To this day, I hate gym showers. When I use a sauna or steam room (I do it for health, not hook ups) I always wear a swimsuit.

by Anonymousreply 7July 1, 2019 7:12 PM

No, nudity was wrong and dirty. I guess it would have helped if I had, um, "confidence". But I'm a shrimp, always with a few extra pounds and a 'grower'.

by Anonymousreply 8July 1, 2019 7:14 PM

My father would walk naked from his morning shower across the hall to his bedroom. We all averted our eyes.

by Anonymousreply 9July 1, 2019 7:16 PM

No. In our home, nudity was always a formal affair.

by Anonymousreply 10July 1, 2019 7:19 PM

I forget which comedian it was, but they had a bit about when to let your son accidentally see your dick. He said you get it hard, let him accidentally see it, and then for the rest of his life he'll remember it being as big as his arm.

by Anonymousreply 11July 1, 2019 7:23 PM

We occasionally saw each other naked. I was always self-conscious. He didn't make a big deal about it, but yes, I saw him occasionally going from the shower to his bedroom. I liked it and usually tried to sneak a peek. Hey, who else was I going to look at when I was that young?! I don't have a brother. I may not have known I was gay at the time, but I knew there was something special about me.

by Anonymousreply 12July 1, 2019 7:29 PM

I never saw my dad naked, nor was I ever around others naked. I think the first time I remember ever seeing an adult naked was when I accompanied a friend to a city pool. We wore our bathing suits to the pool, but had to change out of them into dry clothes for the drive back home. First time in a locker room where naked guys were. I was probably only eight or nine, but it was very eye-opening.

by Anonymousreply 13July 1, 2019 7:34 PM

I have friends who were "No big deal" about nudity around the house/in the pool--mom AND dad AND the kids....I would have died a thousand deaths.

by Anonymousreply 14July 1, 2019 7:34 PM

Moms should not be casually naked.

by Anonymousreply 15July 1, 2019 7:36 PM

Yes. My dad, my brother, my uncle, my male cousins, and both of my grandfather's. Seen them all naked and was around them naked a lot.

by Anonymousreply 16July 1, 2019 7:39 PM

My dad was proud of his cock and would walk around the house naked regularly. Take it from me, this is a bad thing for boys' self-esteem while they are growing up. Otherwise, he was a good father, if something of a nerd and clueless about others' feelings.

by Anonymousreply 17July 1, 2019 7:46 PM

My college friend comes from a very WASPY background. She says, growing up, her family (Her father, mom, brother, and herself) would have breakfast every morning naked.

Seriously

by Anonymousreply 18July 1, 2019 8:13 PM

Never. We were Christians, and nudity was considered vulgar and ungodly.

by Anonymousreply 19July 1, 2019 8:18 PM

[quote] I forget which comedian it was, but they had a bit about when to let your son accidentally see your dick. He said you get it hard, let him accidentally see it,

Kevin Spacey?

by Anonymousreply 20July 1, 2019 8:19 PM

What about your father? You never saw your father!?

by Anonymousreply 21July 1, 2019 8:20 PM

My dad insisted upon it.

by Anonymousreply 22July 1, 2019 8:21 PM

Oh my goodness, no! Never! I never saw my father! No!

by Anonymousreply 23July 1, 2019 8:21 PM

Where's that photo of Larry Hagman's family in the hot tub?

by Anonymousreply 24July 1, 2019 8:22 PM

We saw our parents' nakedness.

Rivers of blood will be required to cover them.

by Anonymousreply 25July 1, 2019 8:26 PM

When growing up, we lived in a relatively small city apartment for nearly 20 years. Mother, father, one boy, one girl. Three bedrooms, so we have a fair amount of privacy However, try as one might, it was difficult not to see other family members naked on occasion. It's not like we were all that open. We tried to maintain a fair amount of modesty, but sometimes it just happened. My father was more open with me (I'm the son) so sometimes I would see him coming out of the shower and dressing in his bedroom. His bedroom was near mine. We were also big beachgoers on the East Coast. Back then, there was lots of changing in the public beach bathhouses. I kind of liked seeing other guys naked, and didn't always care to be naked with my father, but it happened and we just dealt with it. I was very observant of all his hair. No one trimmed back then.

by Anonymousreply 26July 1, 2019 8:27 PM

I'm female, and I saw my dad's junk only once. My little brother was 4, and he got two pairs of boxing gloves for Christmas. So, that Christmas morning, he and my dad each put on a pair and started playfully boxing each other. My dad's night-time uniform his entire life was a white T-shirt and tighty whities, even when guests came over. (He wasn't a showy type; he hated pajamas and robes, and he wasn't going to spend money on some just so he could impress guests every once in awhile). As he was boxing, his junk escaped out of the fly. My mom called off the match and told my dad to fix himself. My best friend from next door (a five-year-old girl) had come over to check out our loot, and she was also watching). My dad corrected the issue and the boxing match continued.

My mom was less modest...but not excessive. When I was in the bathtub, she'd come into the bathroom to pee. She also changed clothes in front of my brother and me. I remember taking showers with her when I was little.

I don't remember ever being naked in front of them, unless I had undressed for a bath, but I was stalling about getting in the tub.

by Anonymousreply 27July 1, 2019 8:31 PM

mom and daddy

by Anonymousreply 28July 1, 2019 9:08 PM

All the time. I grew up in a very redneck setting,always hunting,camping and the like.Casual nudity back then was no big deal,so if a guy had to piss he just hauled it out and pissed. Skinny dipping was mandatory,and everyone from grandpas to toddlers would get naked and jump in. I guess thats why I never had a problem with nudity or felt akward being naked. Still dont,and Im the last one anyone wants to see nude!

by Anonymousreply 29July 1, 2019 9:26 PM

I'm naked in front of my family as I type this

by Anonymousreply 30July 1, 2019 9:27 PM

I never say my parents or my siblings nude, nor , did I care to. The first person I remember seeing naked was a male cousin ( we were both very young) while bathing together. We were both curious about each other bodies, (I'm gay, he's straight) ,as far as I recall, there was lots of looking, no touching.

by Anonymousreply 31July 1, 2019 9:42 PM

Puritans

by Anonymousreply 32July 2, 2019 12:05 AM

I had the first cock I saw was a friends brother. He was older than us and he came out of the shower with a hard on. Even now I know it was big and I have a fetish for those Italian boys

by Anonymousreply 33July 2, 2019 1:16 AM

When I was really little, I would shower with my dad. I noticed it, of course, and just thought to myself "I guess when you grow up it gets bigger."

In junior high and high school, none of the guys got naked before or after gym class in the locker room. There was ONE jock, he was two years ahead of me in high school, who would get totally naked and shower. I always made sure I got a good view.

Years later, I wound up being roommates with the biggest jock from high school. Dude strutted around the house naked constantly- left the door open while he was pissing, the whole 9. That was fun.

by Anonymousreply 34July 2, 2019 1:25 AM

I don't remember ever seeing my father naked but saw my mother naked all the time, she told me after I had grown up that she wanted me to be comfortable around the female body but I guess it just turned me into a gay man.

I hated having to get undressed in the locker room in school and shower, I was uncut in a world of cut penises and guys would stare.

I never learned how to swim as a kid, took lessons but then almost drowned once and could never quite get comfortable in the water so my freshman year of college took swimming 101. You were not allowed to wear bathing suits, all the guys were naked, they claimed it was to keep detergent out of the pool, I was so uncomfortable I dropped the class.

by Anonymousreply 35July 2, 2019 1:30 AM

My parents were superliberal semi-hippies who did a right turn in the early '80s.

I remember them joking about sex when I was little. I would run around naked and they would call me "Streaker" per the '70s fad. And I would ask impolitic questions about body parts and sex, usually when my dad and I were out together on an errand, and he would say, "Good question. We'll talk about all that when we get home."

By the Reagan era, there was no acknowledgment of the body, no talk of sex, nothing. Total shutdown.

When I went to Scout camp in the late '80s, I was floored, because everybody got naked in front of their dads and friends like it was no big thing. One older scout stood in the locker area outside of the showers, butt-naked, face-to-face with his dad, and they were talking about something random while he wrung his suit out. His younger brother, also naked, smacked him on the ass on his way to the shower.

My dad ghosted any situation that involved nudity. My best friend's dad didn't bother to come to camp, but my friend was eager to show off his excessively early pube development, which only made me more of a prude. (He was a total exhibitionist throughout high school, which just made me more neurotic, which was my problem.)

It was weird - I had super-hippie-body-and-sex-positive parents until I was 10, then some fortress gate descended.

by Anonymousreply 36July 2, 2019 1:50 AM

R29 Prince William taking a pee in public. Maybe the royals were less conservative around the palace than we thought.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 37July 2, 2019 2:00 AM

Am I the only one who is dying to know more about r36 parents? What’s the story there?

by Anonymousreply 38July 2, 2019 2:13 AM

The usual-- a couple of showers with my father when I was very young (under 5) and my mother a few times too. I think those were less about sex than efficiency. That was about it though. They had their own bathroom, I had mine, my brother had his. Not sure I saw my brother naked post-puberty either-- once, we were changing at my grandparents, and I was surprised to see he had pubes, but that was about it.

I've heard older friends say that it's been awkward when their parents get older and can't dress themselves and they have to help change and shower them.

by Anonymousreply 39July 2, 2019 2:23 AM

In my family we only saw each other naked by accident, however my mom, never really was afraid to see any of us kids naked. "I put diapers on you! I know what you look like!"

My uncle's family on the other hand were always naked all of the time. You'd have to call before you went over there or else you'd be in for a very unwanted eyeful!

[quote]I have friends who were "No big deal" about nudity around the house/in the pool

Totally had those friends too. My best friend as a kid never had a problem getting completely naked in swim class or for shits and giggles. He said his whole family was like that. I didn't believe him until I spent the night at his house and saw his dad wandering around naked at night. I had another friend in college who said that her whole Los Angelino family was very naked all of the time in front of each other because "The human body is beautiful." I spent a couple of weeks with her on Summer break and she wasn't kidding. No one ever closed their door.

Finally a friend of mine, when I went to visit, had a shower in his bedroom and insisted I shower there while he was in bed reading a book. I took a pass on that but he was also military so it was clear that kind of thing didn't phase him.

by Anonymousreply 40July 2, 2019 2:30 AM

Certainly not. I wasn't raised by wild animals.

by Anonymousreply 41July 2, 2019 2:36 AM

That is literally all I know, R38. That post was baldly honest.

by Anonymousreply 42July 2, 2019 2:38 AM

I did not like being naked in front of other boys. I found it creepy. But I was blown away once in junior high. After gym class all the boys were supposed to take showers. It was almost mandatory, which was strange as most of the time hardly anyone ever broke a sweat. I always opted out of it. One of the boys in my class (maybe 15 or so) used to walk around totally naked in the locker room. He was amazingly developed for his age. He had muscles, pecs, biceps, a hairy chest and a big dick. I couldn't believe it. He was our age but looked completely different from the rest of us, well, children. Some people develop faster than others, I suppose. Or maybe he was held back a year or something. I mean, he was young, but wow, he looked very manly even at that age. I recall that being the moment I discovered both jealousy and my sexuality.

by Anonymousreply 43July 2, 2019 2:47 AM

My dad taught me how to wash my hair in the shower at age 8, and that was the last time he saw my dick, and I never saw his.

There should be complete transparency! I mean, your dad created you -—  it is a totally natural thing for a father to wonder, 'How big a dick did I pass on? What kind of endowment have I endowed? If I passed on him big dick, will he be lazy too?'

If you're underendowed, you can hold it against him. If you're overendowed, you can hold it against him. MORE FATHER-SON NUDE CONFRONTATIONS IN FUTURE!

by Anonymousreply 44July 2, 2019 2:48 AM

My father was never nude around us in the house, although he'd be in boxers with no shirt once in a while after a bath or before getting dressed. But when we traveled on fishing trips or country visits, he was very much at ease. We'd stay in cabins with cousins and uncles and it was just "normal." They didn't parade around but the idea was that a man around men was not concerned about anything as simple as his body being seen. I was less at ease with my own body before puberty. Dad had an above-average-sized penis and mine was bigger when I grew up. I mean flaccid.

I was sent to work on a farm for the summer at 14 to "enjoy myself." Meaning get over being a sissy.

It meant learning to deal with nudity with other teens. Nude swimming in the river. Sleeping in underwear with the tall, muscular, horny farm boy (not kidding.) He begged me to have sex with him but I knew I wasn't ready, but I'd wake up with him patting my face and hair.

My high school friends and I, girls included, would get stoned and crash apartment and condo pools after midnight. One time someone called the cops, and we were lined up along the fence naked with all the flashlights on us. It was hilarious.

At 18 I worked summers at a factory for college tuition. Nude showers for 25 men at a time. Lots of showing off, semi-hard men, asshole displays. I'm glad I had gotten over my shyness by then. There was a lot of comments about each other's bodies - whose cock was big, who was getting hard, who had a nice ass or a fat ass. They were nice to me but I would often get asked if I needed a ride home (getting off at 11:30 pm).

And in theatre in college it was just nothing. We all walked around nude after rehearsals and showering.

by Anonymousreply 45July 2, 2019 2:50 AM

Sure. Of course he would bathe us when we were small. We weren’t nudists or anything, but Until I was 10 or so, when my sister turned 8, my parents would walk from the bathroom to the bedroom to change naked. Then my dad wore a towel. But my parents were both doctors and didn’t have any airs about the body.

When my father was dying, I cared for him and bathed him every day,

by Anonymousreply 46July 2, 2019 2:52 AM

[quote]One of the boys in my class (maybe 15 or so) used to walk around totally naked in the locker room. He was amazingly developed for his age. He had muscles, pecs, biceps, a hairy chest and a big dick.

I was in a high school locker room with one guy like that: Full chest hair at 16. Now bald. And one guy with full chest hair at 16 who still looks great. And one guy who had a huge dick every girl bragged about and every football team member moaned about at age 15 ("It's halfway down his thigh, for fuck's sake!" — he still great now and has four sons. Lucky (probably) sons.

by Anonymousreply 47July 2, 2019 2:54 AM

Yes I was. It was a sensual and decadent experience.

by Anonymousreply 48July 2, 2019 2:54 AM

I showered with my father once when I was around 5 years old. I remember pointing at his penis, which was at eye level, and that ended the shower. He lifted me out of there immediately. Too gay, I suppose.

When I was older - around 10 or so - I slept over at my best friend's house. He and his family are Portuguese, dark haired and good looking. His Dad was very fit since he played soccer on a men's team and he worked construction. After we had all gone to bed, his Dad came into the room my friend and I were in to check on us, and he was wearing only tighty whities. I can still see him standing there - white underwear on tan skin, big smile, and long strong legs.

by Anonymousreply 49July 2, 2019 3:25 AM

I think most of this is about dad-shame.

If you create a male kid, you want them to have as impressive a unit as possible. And if you're insecure about yours, you're unlikely to show it to anyone but the mandatory observers.

by Anonymousreply 50July 2, 2019 3:39 AM

I'm shocked and scandalized

by Anonymousreply 51July 2, 2019 4:06 AM

By WHAT, R51?

by Anonymousreply 52July 2, 2019 4:09 AM

"Casually naked"???? I have never been casually naked in my life. Our bodies were given us so that we could be ASHAMED.

by Anonymousreply 53July 2, 2019 4:17 AM

Men who avoid seeing their sons naked in very natural environments like pools, gyms or summer/Scout camps, are doing it because they don't want confirmation that they passed their small dicks down.

by Anonymousreply 54July 2, 2019 4:19 AM

Man, I wished I were my friend Chase, who had pecs and a hairy gulf between them that he stripped off to show the academics-quiz sponsor when we were 15 ...

by Anonymousreply 55July 2, 2019 4:24 AM

I was occasionally around a cousin or two a friend, but it was usually brief and I was shy about it.

My dad was shirtless a lot, or in underwear when other family members were around, but when I got to be a teenager and he and I were often the only ones at home, he'd spend time in just a towel, or sometimes naked. Usually after a shower or at bedtime. I started doing it too. He was always in great shape and looking back, I think he was trying to encourage me to not be so shy and to stay in shape.

He'd come into the bathroom as I was getting out of the shower and undress and get in the shower. Sometimes he'd come in my room in just a towel at night and talk, and I'd undress for bed in front of him and he'd sort of drop his towel. I kind of enjoyed our naked bonding time.

Dang, haven't thought about how this in years. Miss you, dad.

by Anonymousreply 56July 2, 2019 4:47 AM

R56 "Naked bonding time"????? What planet are you on?????

by Anonymousreply 57July 2, 2019 5:19 AM

As you've stated before R57, you're a never nude. Thank you, we know. We get it.

by Anonymousreply 58July 2, 2019 5:25 AM

I grew up in a house of females: my mom, my two older sisters, their friends and relatives. My father did road trips and was never around, and when he was he was in a foul mood. Not fatherly at all; we never did anything together, and certainly not naked.

I didn't see a naked male until a neighbor boy pulled his out once to pee. I thought that was strange because I sat down to pee- like my sisters. I thought that was how you did it.

by Anonymousreply 59July 2, 2019 6:41 AM

Peeing together is sharing

by Anonymousreply 60July 2, 2019 1:55 PM

My father was taught by Jesuits and they’d certainly done a number on him. He was also in a bad car accident and had to heal from that. However, once he did and lost the Catholic guilt and shame there was a period he kind of went overboard the other way. Usually when we were on holiday abroad. So, a certain amount of strutting about naked.

However, we used to go swimming with neighbours and I have a clear memory of watching the burly father, thick bush, big fat cockhead. I can also remember him noticing me looking and staring very much back at me. Which is probably why, when he was doing some carpentry work on our house, he came into the bathroom while I was having a bath ( parents were out ) and stood sideways so I could arch him piss.

The father of some other friends was often naked around their house. He was a tall, broad shouldered, well built and fit man in his early 60s. Both of their parents were older than most. He had a white Abe Lincoln beard and very hairy chest, belly and crotch. In fact, most of the men I remember were much hairier than now. There was no manscaping.

It was those two men that left me with an attraction to older men, specifically in their fifties.

I swam a lot, from an early age, and all the changing rooms in the late 60s/early 70s were open. I’m not complaining. Saw some sights. Also, was at a boarding school and there was always open nakedness when changing for sports or when swimming at the nearby lake. Some of it, in retrospect, was dodgy. Definite exhibitionism on the part of one very well endowed teacher.

But hell, I only have good memories. Certainly far preferable to the ridiculous prudishness these days. Then again, no one was likely to have a camera/phone hidden away.

by Anonymousreply 61July 2, 2019 3:43 PM

Naked is natural

by Anonymousreply 62July 2, 2019 4:48 PM

R58 doesn't realize how weird the "naked bonding time" thing is.

by Anonymousreply 63July 2, 2019 4:55 PM

My Swedish friend was in an accident and was laid up in the hospital. I'd visit him often, and his mom was always there.

The nurse would come in, and I would automatically excuse myself, as I assumed he'd be naked for whatever she was doing. His mom said "where are you going?" My friend explained to her "he's very American."

by Anonymousreply 64July 2, 2019 5:00 PM

R36, my parents were exactly the same. Natural food buying, make their own clothes, build your own house type hippies. Somehow the 80's changed everything and now they are Fox viewers. Weird as hell to this neo-hippie liberal commie pinko fag, lol.

by Anonymousreply 65July 2, 2019 5:01 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!