Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

The Bobby DeBarge tv movie on tonight

he was 1 of the brothers in the DeBarge family. He had success with brother Tommy and non-relatives in the group Switch would allowed the other siblings to get deals (the group DeBarge and the solo deals).

He was a huge drug addict, ended up dying from complications of AIDS.

This movie is so depressing yet fascinating.

The DeBarge family were abused sexually and physically by their father while their mother failed to protect them.

Bobby for time dated La Toya which is curious since she was never into drugs. Through Bobby, brother James would meet Janet.

by Anonymousreply 26July 2, 2019 10:26 PM

Bobby was also "bisexual" according to his family. He was a friend and roommate of Jermaine Stewart.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1June 30, 2019 3:22 AM

Bobby also abused his brother James who also ended up a huge drug addict (though he's still alive)

by Anonymousreply 2June 30, 2019 3:35 AM

I never knew about the abuse of James. Sad. I always found it interesting that El participated in the Unsung episode for Switch (which heavily featured Bobby) but not the one about Debarge.

by Anonymousreply 3June 30, 2019 3:59 AM

this is definitely 1 of the most tragic hollywood families ever.

They had some hits but nothing that could sustain them over the years

all ended up on drugs, some in/out jail and all money issues

but when you don't have a good family foundation it's hard to navigate life

by Anonymousreply 4June 30, 2019 5:21 AM

What channel/site is this on? Title?

by Anonymousreply 5June 30, 2019 9:09 AM

A biopic, really? I barely remember Bobby. Did he have some solo success after DeBarge? What am I missing here?

by Anonymousreply 6June 30, 2019 9:32 AM

Switch had R&B hits that were sandwiched in between Donna Summer and The Jacksons at the top of the charts. They just never crossed over. Their 40 year old songs 'I Call Your Name' and 'There'll Never Be' -- both with Bobby on lead vocals -- are in perennial rotation on traditional R&B radio.

by Anonymousreply 7June 30, 2019 10:30 AM

R6 it's a story of someone who was regarded as very talented and had lots of potential but heavy drug use, unstable behavior led to the decline of his career.

his vocal style was very influential too. Younger brother El basically sings just like him but not as well. Few popular male singers past and present could hit the falsetto as well as Bobby DeBarge.

additionally without Bobby succeeding as the main lead singer of Switch, there likely wouldn't have been opportunities for 5 of his younger siblings to get signed as a group and then another younger sibling Chico to get a solo deal.

by Anonymousreply 8June 30, 2019 6:20 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9June 30, 2019 6:20 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10June 30, 2019 6:22 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11June 30, 2019 6:25 PM

R1, did Chico get in on that action?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12June 30, 2019 6:30 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13June 30, 2019 7:09 PM

this is 1 of his last photos in the 90s at least shown publicly. You can see the facial wasting and how much weight he lost. He died at age 39

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 14June 30, 2019 7:11 PM

with brother Tommy when they were in Switch

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 15June 30, 2019 7:11 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16June 30, 2019 7:12 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17June 30, 2019 7:12 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18June 30, 2019 7:13 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 19June 30, 2019 7:14 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 20June 30, 2019 7:14 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 21June 30, 2019 7:15 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 22June 30, 2019 10:32 PM

Sad story. He died too young and left too many kids without a father. Lovely voice.

by Anonymousreply 23July 1, 2019 12:23 AM

in 1987 after lead singers El and Bunny had left the group, Bobby joined the other brothers in DeBarge for 1 album. Along with Chico, they guest appeared on an episode of Punky Brewster

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 24July 2, 2019 7:45 AM
by Anonymousreply 25July 2, 2019 7:07 PM

I love Debarge, they have some absolute classic songs! Their Unsung episode was one if the saddest, most heartbreaking gd things I’ve ever watched though.

by Anonymousreply 26July 2, 2019 10:26 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!