Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

D you remember the day of your First Communion?

I went to church and kids were receiving their first holly communion. It reminded me of my days back in Catholic school. Kids dress more fancy these days than we used to. Isn't it illegal though to feed wine to minors (Each child had to drink from the chalice)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 73June 25, 2019 12:02 AM

was never confirmed

by Anonymousreply 1June 23, 2019 3:42 PM

R1 First communion is received before confirmation

by Anonymousreply 2June 23, 2019 3:44 PM

Yes, it was my first blowjob from Father Flannigan.

by Anonymousreply 3June 23, 2019 3:45 PM

Yes it was fun. I never got confirmed but I did get married.

by Anonymousreply 4June 23, 2019 3:48 PM

You didn't get dressed up for First Communion? I wore a dress like that.

by Anonymousreply 5June 23, 2019 3:52 PM

No, we were (nominally) Baptists.

by Anonymousreply 6June 23, 2019 3:52 PM

In my country we wear first communion dress like this.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7June 23, 2019 3:53 PM

[quote]Each child had to drink from the chalice

This isn't done here in Europe, even with adults.

by Anonymousreply 8June 23, 2019 3:53 PM

I clearly remember drinking from the chalice and I’m not 100 years old.

by Anonymousreply 9June 23, 2019 3:56 PM

[quote]Each child had to drink from the chalice

"Chalice" is what Father O'Brien called his thingy.

by Anonymousreply 10June 23, 2019 3:57 PM

R8 most catholic churches don't do it for the regular mass but on special occasions some members of the congregation get to taste the wine. After all mass is a celebration of the body ( bread) and blood(wine) of Christ. Not just body.

by Anonymousreply 11June 23, 2019 3:59 PM

I don't remember the day clearly, but I still have my little missal and scapular in storage somewhere. And, yes, I was confirmed when I was older.

by Anonymousreply 12June 23, 2019 3:59 PM

When I was younger there used to be drinking from the chalice and they changed it to dipping the Eucharist in the wine later. I don’t go to Mass anymore so I have no idea what they do no for the “blood of Christ”.

by Anonymousreply 13June 23, 2019 4:02 PM

We had a cute catechist with a big cock. He was so shy.

by Anonymousreply 14June 23, 2019 4:02 PM

My grandma spent a fortune to get me a golden rosary. It was the first time a got a tailored suit. We has a huge party. Ah...memories!!

by Anonymousreply 15June 23, 2019 4:04 PM

[quote]My grandma spent a fortune to get me a golden rosary.

That says everything about religion.

by Anonymousreply 16June 23, 2019 4:07 PM

Not being a catlicker, I couldn't say.

by Anonymousreply 17June 23, 2019 4:14 PM

R16 it's just like a wedding day. People go all out.

by Anonymousreply 18June 23, 2019 4:25 PM

I received all sacraments through one holy penis

by Anonymousreply 19June 23, 2019 4:49 PM

Wine is served at all masses.

by Anonymousreply 20June 23, 2019 5:21 PM

I am old, so there was no wine. I can't even imagine it.

I was wearing this horrid white suit with white bucks. Probably a white tie. I was crying. And when I wasn't crying, I was pouting. I was determined not to let them get a picture of me smiling. I hated the Catholic church from the moment I got to Catholic school, prior to which I'd not been taken to church. I just detested it.

by Anonymousreply 21June 23, 2019 5:57 PM

The kids are given grape juice, not wine.

by Anonymousreply 22June 23, 2019 6:42 PM

My father yelled at me for getting something on my white suit. That's why I was crying. WTF do you put a 7-year-old boy in a white suit?

by Anonymousreply 23June 23, 2019 6:44 PM

The priest who heard my first confession (what do 7 year olds have to confess?) and gave me my first communion was later found out to be molesting girls at the church he was sent to after my church. He probably diddled girls at my church too, they just didn't report it. As far as I know the bishop who presided over my confirmation was only guilty of covering up the abuse by him and another priest who later abused a girl at my school. Yeah, the two known kiddie diddlers at my parish both targeted girls.

by Anonymousreply 24June 23, 2019 6:53 PM

Are you a girl or a boy, r24?

by Anonymousreply 25June 23, 2019 6:54 PM

Boy R25

by Anonymousreply 26June 23, 2019 6:55 PM

Eldergay here. Born in 1952, at the height of the baby boom. My midwestern Catholic school 1st grade class was divided into 3 tracks, with about 35-40 kids in each track (How many Catholic schools today have that many students in the entire school)? We were sliced, diced, processed and spit out of our First Confession/First Communion/Confirmation within the space of two weeks.

by Anonymousreply 27June 23, 2019 7:01 PM

I was able to open my first savings account with all the loot I got.

by Anonymousreply 28June 23, 2019 7:04 PM

[Quote] What do seven year olds have to confess Believe it or not r24, at seven I confessed to the priest that I had feelings for another boy. I was asked to recite 20 hail Marys. Thirty years later, here I am now having the gay sex with reckless abandon

by Anonymousreply 29June 23, 2019 9:08 PM

[quote]The priest who heard my first confession (what do 7-year-olds have to confess?)

Him.

by Anonymousreply 30June 23, 2019 9:30 PM

I was confirmed in the Lutheran Church in grade 9. First communion was the Sunday after the confirmation, Lutherans give everyone both bread and wine as commanded in the bible. Then it was done in a silver chalice. Today they give you an option of a tiny plastic cup with a small amount of wine or the common cup.

And no it is not illegal. Separation of church and state. No legitimate church has tried to test this by serving more than a sip.

by Anonymousreply 31June 23, 2019 11:08 PM

R27 you are BEYOND Eldergay, you are ANCIENT!!!

by Anonymousreply 32June 23, 2019 11:17 PM

Lol r32 be nice

by Anonymousreply 33June 23, 2019 11:21 PM

Yes, we all had to wear white suits, but there was this one kid who showed up wearing a navy blue suit. I still have pictures from my communion and you can see him in the background with his blue blazer. I remember hearing a woman say she felt sorry for him because he was the only one not wearing white. The kid, who went to the same school as me, later grew up to develop mental problems. I suspect his mother (who made him wear the blue suit) probably had mental problems as well. Hence why she made him wear that color instead of white.

by Anonymousreply 34June 23, 2019 11:25 PM

Sure I remember it. I was 13 (Episcopalian). I was also an acolyte. I remember the taste of the communion wine because I thought it vile. I had been smelling it for 3 years as I poured it and the Holy water into the chalice during service. It smelled much better than it tasted.

by Anonymousreply 35June 24, 2019 12:55 AM

I was 13. The priest asked us to wear no underwear, as the Lord disliked cotton.

by Anonymousreply 36June 24, 2019 12:57 AM

I remember parts of my first communion. I grew up in a predominantly Italian parish in South Philadelphia, so it was a big deal. I remember all the boys had all white suits. My Italian grandma bought mine it was made by Pierre Cardin and I thought I was hot stuff. And the giant party afterward in our tint South Philly row home.

by Anonymousreply 37June 24, 2019 1:04 AM

Jewish, but I’ve always fantasized about that first confession. “Let us pray” and asking the priest if we need to break this into multiple sessions or if we’re on the clock. If so, is it like parking where we can pay to extend up to the maximum?

It’d be a very, very long confession. I’m picturing a relay where the priests tag each other to relieve.

by Anonymousreply 38June 24, 2019 2:02 AM

No, because I’m not religious.

by Anonymousreply 39June 24, 2019 2:05 AM

I'm a female and I fucking hated wearing a veil on my head and wearing little white gloves that itched. I also had to do one of the readings for the Mass.

by Anonymousreply 40June 24, 2019 2:11 AM

I grew up Baptist, we only had the Lord's Supper on the fifth Sunday of the month, so around three or four times a year. There was nothing special about when you first took part, it was left up to you and your parents, and anyone who considered themselves a Christian could take part. Ours were served in the pews by the deacons, and we had grape juice or grape kool-aid, instead of wine.

by Anonymousreply 41June 24, 2019 2:21 AM

With my Confirmation, I was expected to choose my sponsor's name. I didn't like it, so I asked if I could choose my Dad's name instead. I'm so grateful for that. I'm now Mark James Roger ,,,,,,,,,,, rather than what would have been, and I love my Dad more than life itself.

by Anonymousreply 42June 24, 2019 2:41 AM

R41, I'm interested in your story. I always found the Baptists in my neighborhood to be rather closed, and I really wanted to know how to interact without offending.

by Anonymousreply 43June 24, 2019 2:45 AM

Catholic brainwashing for younguns'. It was rather forgettable to be honest, but I hated Catechism. I am so glad that I refused my Confirmation.😈

by Anonymousreply 44June 24, 2019 2:54 AM

I grew up as an Italian in Brooklyn. My communion was in 1967. We didn't drink wine or wear white suits. They were blue. It all went off without a hitch.

by Anonymousreply 45June 24, 2019 3:03 AM

R43 Because Baptists historically are congregationalist in structure, every church is different. Southern Baptist, National Baptist, etc... are conventions made up of independent congregations not a denomination like the Methodists, Episcopalians, etc... Therefore you have some like the ones I have attended that are welcoming and practice open communion, but others are closed communion, where you have to be a member of that church to take communion.

Also, some Baptists are Calvinist but historically most are Arminians. Arminians focus more on who-so-ever may come, and believe that the Gospel is for everyone, whereas Calvinists believe that God has already determined who will be saved and who will not be. Sadly, the "Conservative Resurgence" of the 1980s and now the rise of Calvinism in the SBC have distorted the views of Baptists. I still consider myself a Baptist, of the Jimmy Carter variety. I believe in the four historical Baptist Distinctives,

1)Bible Freedom: every believer is free to interpret the Bible themselves, without interference from a priest or creed.

2)Soul Freedom: a person's faith is individual and voluntary.

3)Church Freedom: churches are free and independent to organize themselves as God directs them, without interference from others.

4)Religious Freedom: The government can not interfere with the church, or the church with the government, this however does not prevent individual Christians from serving in government.

by Anonymousreply 46June 24, 2019 3:08 AM

Why do Roman Catholics insist on acting as though there's no one else in the world but themselves?

by Anonymousreply 47June 24, 2019 3:11 AM

R47, not sure if you’re saying the same thing that I’m thinking, but OP’s question makes it sound as if everyone on DL had a communion. I assume that was not OP’s intent. At least I hope it wasn’t. I mean, imagine the reaction if OP’s thread title were: Tell Us About Your Bar Mitzvah!

by Anonymousreply 48June 24, 2019 5:18 AM

I would rather have had a Bar Mitzvah. First Communion felt like the first step in becoming a cult member (it was actually the second), and no Jewish kid would have had to wear that stupid white suit and shoes.

by Anonymousreply 49June 24, 2019 10:04 AM

R48 Every thread doesn't warrant a response from everyone. Only those that relate to the subject matter.

by Anonymousreply 50June 24, 2019 12:33 PM

I think it's funny that Baptists refer to Roman Catholics as "Mary Worshipers."

It may be the only thing Baptists get right.

CATHOLIC: "We don't worship. We venerate."

Tomato To-MA-to.

by Anonymousreply 51June 24, 2019 1:40 PM

R47 because we are the best.

by Anonymousreply 52June 24, 2019 3:13 PM

r52 can't possibly be gay.

by Anonymousreply 53June 24, 2019 4:33 PM

[quote]because we are the best at being the worst.

Fixed.

by Anonymousreply 54June 24, 2019 5:05 PM

R49 Judaism as a whole sounds like a cult. "We are gods chosen people!!!". That sounds like it's straight out of a cult playbook.

by Anonymousreply 55June 24, 2019 5:10 PM

You choose your cult, r55, I'll choose mine. And mine ain't Catholicism, though I had the bad fortune of being born into it.

by Anonymousreply 56June 24, 2019 5:14 PM

No, but I remember the horrors of Catholicism, the stupidity of “believers,” the casual bigotry of “good christians,” and the feeling that I’d never live the life I was meant to if I continued subscribing to the bullshit we were indoctrinated with at church.

WTF is wrong with you, OP? Are you even gay?

by Anonymousreply 57June 24, 2019 5:39 PM

I remember my First Communion. All the girls had their veils and all the boys their white shirts and clip-on ties. We did not serve wine at my parish - most likely due to the size. It would have taken forever. But my cousins attended a small parish and they had wine.

by Anonymousreply 58June 24, 2019 5:48 PM

Bump

by Anonymousreply 59June 24, 2019 10:59 PM

Yes, I remember it well. I wore a white suit with white shoes and I was dancing around all morning. We could not eat before, so I was starving. The whole family piled in the car and I got a leather bible and a nice rosary from my grandmother. The mass lasted forever - we did not ever drink from the chalice although I know other churches did. I was just so excited. Afterward, we all went out for a big breakfast, then later on back to the house and all of my aunts and uncles came over. I got to wear my new suit all day. Of course, after that, it was all downhill. I never confirmed and good thing as I was to find out a few years later I wasn't welcomed there.

by Anonymousreply 60June 24, 2019 11:06 PM

Oh yeah, after 30 years, finally baptized Catholic. Had to confess before hand-Father I slept with a woman...(Was she a relative?) no...not too bad. Father I slept with a man, that made him pause...Still not to bad, 100 Hail Marys, 100 Padre Nuestro, I think, it was so long ago.

by Anonymousreply 61June 24, 2019 11:12 PM

R60 our stories are eerily similar. I loved my first tailored suit.

by Anonymousreply 62June 24, 2019 11:13 PM

Ancient lesbian (vintage 1952) here; I remember the long lacy veil, the tiny white missal, white rosary, fancy white dress and the picture of our entire 2nd grade class taken around the altar. I knew it was bs when Sr. Crescencia Joseph told us only Catholics went to heaven. Bumped pussies with another 7 year old girl in a bathroom stall that year.

by Anonymousreply 63June 24, 2019 11:15 PM

I call it the First Cannibalism -- it represents the first time a child can chomp down on Jesus' body and blood.

Nom nom, bitches.

by Anonymousreply 64June 24, 2019 11:17 PM

[quote]Sr. Crescencia Joseph told us only Catholics went to heaven.

That's what all the nuns told us. I maintained my cynicism until 4th grade, when I resigned mentally from Catholicism.

by Anonymousreply 65June 24, 2019 11:18 PM

Why do girls wear veils a la wedding day

by Anonymousreply 66June 24, 2019 11:19 PM

R66, it's just a fashion statement. The Vatican -- concentrated near the fashion mecca of Italy -- has a flair for dramatic fashion statements.

(Real answer: it's supposed to represent humility before God or some other blah blah nonsense).

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 67June 24, 2019 11:24 PM

[Quote] it's supposed to represent humility

And yet r63 still went to the bathroom stall and bumped pussies

by Anonymousreply 68June 24, 2019 11:29 PM

R68, good for her then. I was doing much worse by the time I was of Confirmation age.

by Anonymousreply 69June 24, 2019 11:44 PM

We were taught that all good folk go to heaven and Luther was a flatal AntiSemite and Henry the Eighth was a murderer.

First Communion white tailored suit and tie w/ white bucks. Beautiful ceremony in a huge Gothic Church, generous family and my first 'shirley temple' at a beautiful restaurant in the city. Fun and meaningful.

by Anonymousreply 70June 24, 2019 11:45 PM

[quote]Luther was a flatal AntiSemite

He was fartinaceous?

by Anonymousreply 71June 24, 2019 11:46 PM

I refused to do the all white thing. My parents were irate. After many tears, we compromised. I'd wear all white but my jacket could have a discreet pattern. I chose a glaring red and white 1970s check. My parents were mortified but relented after much drama. Gurl, I stormed St. Joseph's runway feeling fierce as I sashayed up to that altar and got me some of that body of Christ cookie. Amen. Hallelujah.

by Anonymousreply 72June 24, 2019 11:54 PM

I wore pyjamas to confirmation

by Anonymousreply 73June 25, 2019 12:02 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!