Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Why are people scared of opossums?

I've always thought they were adorable—kind of like a cross between a giant rat and a cat. They're natural scavengers, eat ticks and other pests, don't carry rabies (that's a myth), and are non-confrontational to the point that if you approach them, they might involuntarily pass out. They are harmless creatures really, but I know people who respond to them as though they are starved lions about to disembowel them and their entire family.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 86July 11, 2019 9:47 PM

They have a creepy quality about them, but I don't mind their presence.

by Anonymousreply 1June 13, 2019 11:10 AM

I agree with OP. Adorable.

by Anonymousreply 2June 13, 2019 11:12 AM

They look like snooty clowns.

by Anonymousreply 3June 13, 2019 11:13 AM

I approached one in our yard (at night, they’re nocturnal) and it bared it’s teeth to me, so that changed my opinion of them.

by Anonymousreply 4June 13, 2019 11:15 AM

R4 Don’t take it personally, many would bare their teeth at you. I like em!

by Anonymousreply 5June 13, 2019 11:17 AM

This queen is some sort of expert

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6June 13, 2019 11:17 AM

It's all bark and no bite, R4. They rarely, if ever, attack anyone. The baring of the teeth is just a defense mechanism to keep predators away. They are in fact really easily frightened and, if under too much duress, lose consciousness and appear dead—hence the phrase "playing opossum." The thing is, they aren't really "playing" when they're doing this. They're literally are unconscious.

by Anonymousreply 7June 13, 2019 11:19 AM

They are fascinating animals, and the only marsupial endemic to the Americas. They really as harmless as a garden mouse, but they get a bad rap because they're bigger and look more intimidating.

by Anonymousreply 8June 13, 2019 11:23 AM

I opened the lid of my BBQ grill and there was one inside (can't imagine how he got there). That fucker made a hiss that was positively demonic, and he lunged at me with fang and claw. Maybe it was a bluff, I didn't stick around to find out, but he was a fearsome beast so spare me the adorable little creature nonsense.

by Anonymousreply 9June 13, 2019 11:24 AM

You cannot tell me this isn't adorable

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10June 13, 2019 11:26 AM

[quote]he lunged at me with fang and claw.

MARY!

by Anonymousreply 11June 13, 2019 11:27 AM

R9 please tell me someone has this on video. The thought of you running away in terror really did make me laugh.

by Anonymousreply 12June 13, 2019 11:28 AM

Opossums are not scary nor dangerous animals, and it really is rare for them to attack someone. Raccoons, on the other hand, are much more aggressive animals.

by Anonymousreply 13June 13, 2019 11:30 AM

"We knows 'em as good eating. Possum shanks with with redeye gravy, yes ma'am!"

by Anonymousreply 14June 13, 2019 11:32 AM

Raccoons are cute as fuck tho

by Anonymousreply 15June 13, 2019 11:32 AM

I know R14 was joking but they really are good.

by Anonymousreply 16June 13, 2019 11:33 AM

The cuteness of opossums is highly underestimated

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17June 13, 2019 11:34 AM

They are positively frightening, hideous creatures.

by Anonymousreply 18June 13, 2019 11:36 AM

I'll admit I'm scared of the ten thousand strong flock of fruitbat that descend on my part of Sydney and brawl through each summer's night but these opossums are just adorable. They're just a ball of floof with big beautiful eyes. I'd swap any day.

by Anonymousreply 19June 13, 2019 11:37 AM

I've read about people keeping them as pets (which I'm not even sure if that's technically legal), but they have a fairly short lifespan for an animal of their size. I think they only tend to live 3 years or so.

by Anonymousreply 20June 13, 2019 11:37 AM

Their tails really gross me out

by Anonymousreply 21June 13, 2019 11:39 AM

Agreed, R19, though I admit I find bats cute as well. The only problem with them is that they fly and are a bit unpredictable. I live in the Pacific Northwest and we have a lot of them here, although they're small ones, not the megabats you have in Australia. I remember one of them once flew straight at my mother's head and got tangled in her hair while we were camping.

by Anonymousreply 22June 13, 2019 11:43 AM

Carrying babies...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 23June 13, 2019 11:52 AM

Yes, people should just leave them alone. They're more help than harm!

by Anonymousreply 24June 13, 2019 11:52 AM

I think they’re cute.

by Anonymousreply 25June 13, 2019 11:54 AM

Is this you, R9?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 26June 13, 2019 11:54 AM

I much more likely to befriend a possum than a human

by Anonymousreply 27June 13, 2019 11:56 AM

A pair of them live in the woods behind my brother's home and they dearly love his fig and Japanese persimmon trees.

Most nights when his fruit is in season, they are up in the branches chowing down. He has enough to share.

by Anonymousreply 28June 13, 2019 12:00 PM

They do look like a big rat, but a cuter one. The rat appearance can be unnerving.

by Anonymousreply 29June 13, 2019 12:02 PM

Yeah I wonder why

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 30June 13, 2019 12:02 PM

R12 I know this thread is about possums, but you might appreciate this: a thrilling POV encounter between a mincing queen and a ferocious rabid fox.

The queen states in his other video that he needed 12 shots (8 rabies, 4 tetanus) after the attack.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 31June 13, 2019 12:05 PM

After watching his follow up vid, I propose we retire the use of Mary!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 32June 13, 2019 12:08 PM

I've never had a bad encounter with an opossum. Whenever I've seen one (almost always at night), it's given me no more than a passing glance before going along on its way. I can attest to raccoons being insane though. I grew up in the woods, and my grandmother had traveled to visit us once and was babysitting me and my brother for a weekend. It was summertime, so the doors were open, and we had a raccoon that got into our house and somehow managed to climb up into the kitchen cupboards. It was mean, too. It took her HOURS to usher it out of the house. I have vivid memories of her going to war with it using a broom.

by Anonymousreply 33June 13, 2019 12:08 PM

That queen is an idiot for approaching the fox like that. If a fox is appearing confrontational, it most likely means it is rabid.

by Anonymousreply 34June 13, 2019 12:14 PM

I'm a bit the same r22. I'm actually a bit fond of them, just afraid that the insane fighting over summer will bring one or two crashing through my window, and in panic they'll fly around- all teeth and claws and lyssavirus- terrified and smashing into everything and everyone, and hurting itself and us.

Just checked online and apparently I under-estimated- The locals are the mob from Hyde Park in the city, and they're a colony of around twenty-two thousand. Which is ridiculous for such a small park. And probably explains the fighting-territorial and mating, I assume.

by Anonymousreply 35June 13, 2019 12:41 PM

Thanks op , I didn’t know that. I always confused them with raccoons which really are terrifying with their rabies.

by Anonymousreply 36June 13, 2019 12:53 PM

They're ugly, OP. Not cute at all. They look like giant rats. Raccoons on the other hand are adorable. I wish we had them here in Norway.

by Anonymousreply 37June 13, 2019 1:58 PM

possums will not hurt you !! they just look scary but they are harmless. please do not kill them

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 38June 13, 2019 2:28 PM

Not all opossums. Just the one that lives on his head.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 39June 13, 2019 2:32 PM

What's the difference between an opossum and a possum? Same thing?

by Anonymousreply 40June 13, 2019 2:37 PM

Yes, same thing.

They're fantastic and funny little creatures - ugly, yes, but endearingly so imo - and they're very beneficial to have on your property if you've got a yard or land of any kind. They eat ticks and other vermin and are otherwise very unobtrusive.

by Anonymousreply 41June 13, 2019 2:44 PM

The rabies thing is definitely a myth. It's EXTREMELY rare for possums to contract it because of their naturally low body temperature. I think it's technically possible in some rare circumstances, but it almost never happens. Foxes, raccoons, and coyotes, on the other hand, are all very prone to rabies.

by Anonymousreply 42June 13, 2019 2:45 PM

R14 may laugh but it’s not just country folks who used to eat possum. President Taft served a 26 pound one on a bed of turnips for Thanksgiving Dinner at the White House in 1909, though history does not tell us if it was as popular as the roast turkey, which was also served.

The Presidency has other possums in its history. President Harrison, an animal lover, had a pair of pet possums while in the White House. They were named Mr. Protection and Mr. Reciprocity and were popular in the press of the time.

by Anonymousreply 43June 13, 2019 2:54 PM

Because people are stupid and don’t care for real nature. They’ll bitch and moan about bugs and mosquitoes everywhere, but freak out if they see a possum or a bat. They’ll cry about cats in their yard but don’t realize the rodent population is booming because there are no more stray dogs or cats. I’m thinking of putting a bat house up but I’m sure some neighbor will complain about RABIES.

by Anonymousreply 44June 13, 2019 3:04 PM

R44, you are not nearly as smart as you think you are.

by Anonymousreply 45June 13, 2019 3:10 PM

R44 are you seriously suggesting having stray dogs and cats around is a good thing? Do you seriously not know how much damage cats do to the wild bird population?

by Anonymousreply 46June 13, 2019 3:11 PM

They have the shortest gestation period of any mammal (they are pregnant for just 12 days) and can have up to 16 babies.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 47June 13, 2019 3:15 PM

That's interesting R47; the fact that they're marsupials probably has to do with this. The babies stay in their mother's pouch for three months after they are born and there is significant growth during that period. Marsupials are very strange.

by Anonymousreply 48June 13, 2019 3:36 PM

An opossum named Keltie Knight works on Entertainment Tonight.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 49July 3, 2019 3:59 AM

My neighborhood (in the city) has both possums and raccoons active at night.

The possums are hideous but harmless and actually beneficial.

The raccoons are adorable but destructive and can be dangerous.

by Anonymousreply 50July 3, 2019 5:00 AM

'Possums look like cats with radiation sickness. However, they are harmless. It's normal to recoil when you accidentally encounter them, but raccoons are much more vicious and will not hesitate to reach out to bite or claw you if they think you have them cornered.

by Anonymousreply 51July 3, 2019 6:49 AM

I live in the foothills of Santa Barbara and opossums, skunks, raccoons, etc., are a way of life here and we all try to coexist. However, a possum killed my mom's aggressive chihuahua that got too close to it, leading me to believe that they aren't all that docile. Further, have you ever smelled opossum shit? It is FELONY nasty. For this reason alone, I can't imagine anyone wanting one as a pet. They are cute, though.

by Anonymousreply 52July 3, 2019 6:54 AM

The possums in the first 10 posts or so look adorable. The urban ones I've seen in LA look more mangy and less cute -- they are harmless though. They get an unfairly bad rap.

by Anonymousreply 53July 3, 2019 6:54 AM

I'm only afraid of possums if I accidentally corner one. I encountered a YUGE one that had gotten inside my covered roll out garbage can last summer. When I opened the top the beast was down there just sitting. He had torn through all the garbage bags and I assumed couldn't figure out how to get out in the pitch blackness. I was shocked when he looked up at me, bared his teeth and hissed just like a cat. I left the top open and went back inside and thankfully a few minutes later the fat thing climbed out and waddled back into the woods.

But if raised from babies and treated like a pet they seem to be quite endearing creatures.

by Anonymousreply 54July 3, 2019 11:12 AM

Opossums look like giant rats. Raccoons are cuter.

by Anonymousreply 55July 3, 2019 11:52 AM

People are afraid ( not scared) of opossums because they resemble Uncle Frank.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 56July 3, 2019 1:23 PM

Is it true that they eat them in rural parts of the south?

by Anonymousreply 57July 3, 2019 1:56 PM

r57 is unfamiliar with "The Beverly Hillbillies."

by Anonymousreply 58July 3, 2019 2:03 PM

A friend of mine used to work with a guy who rescued a pair of orphaned possum babies (their mom had been hit by a car). He named them Scotch and Soda.

by Anonymousreply 59July 3, 2019 2:12 PM

What concerns me is my dog....I assume if a dog gets into it with a possum, it's going to get ugly. That cuts down on their adorableness quotient, at least for me. Has anyone had this unpleasant experience?

by Anonymousreply 60July 3, 2019 2:23 PM

r60 — See r52.

by Anonymousreply 61July 3, 2019 5:08 PM

Australian possums are complete pests. They invade garbage bins and any cranny in your house and ceiling.

They urinate everywhere and bite.

by Anonymousreply 62July 4, 2019 2:08 AM

^^^ What does cranny mean in Australia?

by Anonymousreply 63July 4, 2019 2:37 AM

^ a small, narrow space or opening.

It's useless trying to keep them out with chicken wire. Their claws can pull the chicken wire from its nailed stays. It's all sport to them.

by Anonymousreply 64July 4, 2019 2:43 AM

Has a possum ever tried to mate with Frankie Grande?

by Anonymousreply 65July 4, 2019 3:34 AM

Possum pet.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 66July 7, 2019 12:38 AM

Possums are from Australia, O'possums are from Ireland

There are other marsupials in the Americas.

There are 334 types of marsupials. 100 are found in the Americas — primarily in South America, but thirteen in Central America, and one in North America, north of Mexico. That is the O'possum.

by Anonymousreply 67July 7, 2019 1:00 AM

They look like Nosferatu.

Plus creepy long tails.

And the hissing! They're like DL regulars in marsupial form.

by Anonymousreply 68July 7, 2019 1:13 AM

In general, possums only attack if they perceive a threat to themselves or their babies, so they're actually defending (though it may feel the same to their foe). They don't hunt creatures that are bigger than they are, such as people, dogs, cats, etc. -- they eat bugs, snails, worms, grubs, etc. -- and whatever's growing in your garden (fruit, vegetables, tender herbs). Their fangs are scary but that's pretty much all show.

by Anonymousreply 69July 7, 2019 1:33 AM

Apparently eat ticks, too.

by Anonymousreply 70July 7, 2019 2:14 AM

They're Filthy McNasties!

by Anonymousreply 71July 7, 2019 4:48 AM

I live in West Hollywood, and In the warmer months, I'll leave the front door open, but the screen door closed for air and for the cats to look outside. Last summer, Ithe cats were very still, at attention, staring at something intently. I thought it was another cat, but it was a baby possum, who was hissing at them. The possum visited us a few nights (I think it lived under the porch), and I'm sure it gave us a bad case of fleas, which took me 9 months to get rid of.

by Anonymousreply 72July 7, 2019 12:37 PM

Possums here in the northeast are a problem.

While they don't really carry rabies and are far less destructive/dangerous than raccoons, there's this:

An opossum is a huge threat to outdoor pets . An opossum will grab a rabbit or chicken through the wire of its' cage and eat as much as it can pull through. Yes, the animal is still alive during this and the remains are left to be found the next day.

Gruesome.

by Anonymousreply 73July 7, 2019 1:09 PM

R73, I've heard of raccoons doing that, but not possums. Are you sure you're accusing the right culprit?

by Anonymousreply 74July 7, 2019 4:12 PM

I'm sure.

by Anonymousreply 75July 7, 2019 4:17 PM

I trap my possum pests. I'd like to drown them but I can't.

by Anonymousreply 76July 9, 2019 1:59 AM

[quote][R9] please tell me someone has this on video. The thought of you running away in terror really did make me laugh.

I suppose you could look at this video and imagine the Diana Scream over it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 77July 9, 2019 2:12 AM

They are very short lived in the wild. Only about 2 years. In captivity, about 4 years.

by Anonymousreply 78July 9, 2019 2:37 AM

I've got a possum curled up in a trap on my roof, right now.

(There's some blood on the wire)

by Anonymousreply 79July 9, 2019 2:38 AM

There can be up to 20 babies in a litter. But the mother opossum has only 13 teats. She eats those newborns who aren't fast enough to claim a text.

by Anonymousreply 80July 9, 2019 3:01 AM

^ Wow!

by Anonymousreply 81July 9, 2019 3:05 AM

[quote]However, a possum killed my mom's aggressive chihuahua that got too close to it, leading me to believe that they aren't all that docile.

To be fair, who HASN'T wanted to kill aggressive chihuahuas?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 82July 9, 2019 5:12 AM

R80 Wow I didn't know texting became to lethal!

by Anonymousreply 83July 11, 2019 5:14 PM

R9 did you pass out?

by Anonymousreply 84July 11, 2019 5:29 PM

It looks like Anderson Cooper!!!

by Anonymousreply 85July 11, 2019 6:16 PM

^ So true!

by Anonymousreply 86July 11, 2019 9:47 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!