Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Capri...what happened?

I was just there for three days while staying in the Amalfi Coast. I’d been there last about 15 years ago and thought it was the most magnificent place I’ve ever seen - unbelievably charming and chic with beautiful people everywhere. It was completely captivating. Well now, I don’t what’s happened but it’s been completely overtaken but incredibly tacky Russian/Eastern Europeans and Asians. Admittedly, it’s very early in the season but wow the change is unbelievable and the character of the whole island has changed as a result. Very unfortunate.

by Anonymousreply 9June 12, 2019 4:45 PM

Capri is definitely the most tourist-y island there now. I would suggest visiting Procida or Ischia instead. Easy to get to via ferry from Naples. Procida is small but very beautiful and not too many tourists. Barely anyone speaks english though but that's the charm I think. Haven't been to Ischia but heard it's somewhere in between Capri and Procida.

by Anonymousreply 1June 12, 2019 3:08 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2June 12, 2019 3:10 PM

You all wanted Communism to fail and you got it.

Barcelona is the same way. Horrible tacky cold former Communist countries who are rude, insular, oblivious to others, and hell yeah tacky.

Fortunately you never see them at interesting places, just the tourist traps.

by Anonymousreply 3June 12, 2019 3:15 PM

OP here - we almost went to Ischia but I had fond memories of Capri. Too bad! Is it like that everywhere in the Mediterranean? Sardinia! Etc?

by Anonymousreply 4June 12, 2019 4:01 PM

Ischia is gorgeous. I'd absolutely recommend it.

We went for a day visit to Capri, which was more than enough. While some of the views are stunning, on the whole it is too busy, tacky, and as it's so intensely geared towards tourists - everywhere is incredibly expensive. However, if you do go you must visit what is left of Villa Jovis, the Roman palace at the eastern tip of the island. It's only accessible by walking for long and narrow streets for about a mile and a half, which discourages most of the schlubby Russians. The views across the Bay of Naples are incredible, and when we were there it was incredibly serene. Just us and the cicadas.

by Anonymousreply 5June 12, 2019 4:26 PM

Men's Capris were for sale at Gap in Spring & Summer 2000!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6June 12, 2019 4:31 PM

Is it the same in Anacapri OP? Remember that part of the island as being sleepier and less inundated with tourists.

by Anonymousreply 7June 12, 2019 4:34 PM

I'm glad I went once. Axel Munthe's house and the Blue Grotto were incredible.

by Anonymousreply 8June 12, 2019 4:36 PM

Once a place starts attracting Russian tourists in large numbers, it's over.

by Anonymousreply 9June 12, 2019 4:45 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!