Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

700 quakes in LA seismic zone!

For those in LA, what will you do when a 9.5 hits? Do you think you will live? Will it be the end of Hollywood?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 96July 8, 2019 3:32 AM

I live in Hollywood and haven't felt one...I wonder if I'm becoming immune.

by Anonymousreply 1June 11, 2019 1:44 PM

The La Brea tar pits are going crazy just now. This could be it.

by Anonymousreply 2June 11, 2019 1:46 PM

9.5 will be the end of California and the west coast, hunny.

by Anonymousreply 3June 11, 2019 1:46 PM

Hold me, David!

by Anonymousreply 4June 11, 2019 1:46 PM

It can’t happen soon enough.

No collusion!

by Anonymousreply 5June 11, 2019 1:52 PM

How's your Moscow apartment Boris? No such thing as the big one.

by Anonymousreply 6June 11, 2019 2:06 PM

There will always be millions of people clustered in Southern California because are that many pussies who are afraid of a bit of cold. Those fools will endure any calamity, so long as the temperature never dips below 45 degrees Farenheit.

by Anonymousreply 7June 11, 2019 2:07 PM

I went through both the Whittier Quake (1987) and the Northridge (1994), and there were only minor shakes between 1994 and 2008 when I moved away. If a 9.5 hits, what we saw in "2012" might actually happen.

by Anonymousreply 8June 11, 2019 2:45 PM

R8 that would be awesome lots of selfies of the devastation, no doubt.

by Anonymousreply 9June 11, 2019 10:14 PM

Mary!

by Anonymousreply 10June 11, 2019 10:45 PM

Beachfront property in St. George Utah!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11June 11, 2019 10:49 PM

The only ones I feel sorry for when the Big One wipes LA off the map are the poor illegal immigrants. Their lives will be truly fucked.

by Anonymousreply 12June 12, 2019 12:55 AM

Oy.

by Anonymousreply 13June 12, 2019 4:16 AM

Why all the hateful comments about LA? It's a wonderful place compared to so many other places where gays have to live. I'm from San Francisco but have lived in LA for twenty years and would never move back. Both places are beautiful, but LA is the place for me. I'm fortunate to live on the beach, but I'd live in many other LA locations if I had too. I live in a fairly new high rise but it's only 20 stories high. It could sink if liquefaction were to happen and a tidal/tsunami wave could be very destructive. We've got our own power back up and water reserves but our underground parking would likely be underwater. I have my kayak on the terrace and a 250' coil of rope as another means of escape. Our building could split in half vertically but I doubt it would fall. I worry about my kitty when I leave her at home during the day, but she got amazingly good common sense. We are within 3 miles of 5 superb major hospitals and several smaller ones that might survive. Catastrophes like a 9.5 are impossible to prepare for adequately, but most have made some plans for emergency events. The building I live in has about 18 MD's living here so if it happens when we are all at home, that would be helpful. Part of residents emergency training beside evacuation is setting up triage. All units with residents likely to need assistance are identified by each floor and the designated safety wardens have keys and information as to each of their needs, dialysis, oxygen, etc. Again, there's no total plan anyone can put together. We have a big helipad on the top of the building but only one helicopter is there most of the time. I'm sure the owner wouldn't be able to save too many of the older residents but there are a lot of helicopters in LA. Surely the freeways will be compromised but I know the local streets that will get me out of LA just in case. All the family lives in CA, and we have agreed ahead of time to meet in Salt Lake City if possible; Reno or Las Vegas are alternates. However long it takes to get cellular up and running will have a lot to do where and how we will get back together.

by Anonymousreply 14June 12, 2019 9:40 AM

r14 you've really planned all this?

by Anonymousreply 15June 12, 2019 9:46 AM

R14 I pray to Jebus your kitty survives.

by Anonymousreply 16June 12, 2019 9:55 AM

As wonderfully intelligent and perceptive as you are, r14, no one taught you to use paragraphs?

by Anonymousreply 17June 12, 2019 10:05 AM

r15, the various committees within our HOA have planned all this. Only the family stuff and the rope reflects my planning, my kayak is used several times a week for pleasure, but if needed it might be life-saving

by Anonymousreply 18June 12, 2019 10:08 AM

Not from LA (my dad is, however)--I was raised in Portland, OR though, so I still know about earthquakes. We are most definitely inadequately braced for "the big one" up here. None of the old buildings in the city have been retrofitted, and all of our multiple bridges will collapse when it happens. I've basically resigned myself to the fact that, if I live to see it, I'll probably die because of it. The entire west coast, from Southern California to British Columbia, is going to be seriously fucked up.

by Anonymousreply 19June 12, 2019 10:32 AM

R17 Unless we all are submitting a university paper, no one posting on here is obligated to meet your fascist requirements, Mr Sister.

by Anonymousreply 20June 12, 2019 10:39 AM

R11, Looking forward to going to the beach again while still living in Vegas. Recall the scene from Superman?

R2, Did you read my thread about the increasing doom at La Brea Tar Pits which other posters say is the norm?

by Anonymousreply 21June 12, 2019 10:48 AM

Meanwhile, it is 100 degrees in the shithole of northern California. Jesus, what else can go wrong in Cali?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 22June 12, 2019 10:53 AM

Not as bad as those shithole states like Oklahoma, Kentucky, Kansas, ain't it? Those with fatter and uglier people yet with more quakes and tremors.

by Anonymousreply 23June 12, 2019 11:03 AM

R23 You are in denial, douchebag. No place gets literally shat on as much as SF. Read the fucking papers, watch the news.

by Anonymousreply 24June 12, 2019 11:07 AM

R14

[quote] I worry about my kitty when I leave her at home during the day, but she got amazingly good common sense. We are within 3 miles of 5 superb major hospitals and...

I was kind of expecting to read that you instructed kitty to meet you at one of the hospitals with your important paperwork.

by Anonymousreply 25June 12, 2019 11:14 AM

R25 That cat is bloody amazing. If the Big One hits tomorrow, I have no doubt that cat will survive.

by Anonymousreply 26June 12, 2019 11:26 AM

Tout suite.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 27June 12, 2019 11:30 AM

I'm on the other side of the country but this is actually something I think about so much. It genuinely worries me. I run through scenarios in my head of how people can survive, what the chances are of surviving something so big, how we would organize an emergency response as a nation and I actually think there should be public channels in the region with 24 hour running advice, also running on an AM frequency.

Some things I've come up with:

- Everyone should have a prepper type box in their basement with a tourniquet in it, ace bandage, gauze, sterile sewing kit, water purity pills, aspirin, snake bite kit, a foldable saw, small spade and a couple of power bars that you change out every year.

- Necessary meds should always be contained in something portable and wearable, even if you keep them in a cabinet.

- People who live near hills where rock front can break should invest in a steel pergola/loggia or yard feature as a buffer that can catch falling rock and slow its progression towards your home.

by Anonymousreply 28June 12, 2019 11:35 AM

We can't predict the natural quakes, but I know for sure man-made massive quakes in shithole states are coming to you R24. Just prepare your death wisely.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 29June 12, 2019 11:44 AM

Anyone who chooses to live on a fault line deserves to die and is not deserving of any sympathy. I will be so happy when the Big One wipes Cali off the map.

by Anonymousreply 30June 12, 2019 11:51 AM

I wonder what the secret Federal response is. It makes we nervous that we never hear about their response plans to The Big One. Would container ships be used for triage? Aircraft carriers? Military air rescues? Do communities have protocols for neighborhood blocks, where locals are tasked with certain roles, should they survive the event? Are communities talking about this?

by Anonymousreply 31June 12, 2019 12:00 PM

Hold your breath R30. LA is not on a big fault line. The San Andreas is 30 miles inland from downtown. The biggest prediction is about a 7.1. "Cali" will not be wiped off the map any time soon.

by Anonymousreply 32June 12, 2019 12:01 PM

I'm not from the region so Californians: What response have you gotten from your local government if you ask about emergency plans in a big earthquake scenario? Are there "most likely to be accessible" evacuation routes with signs on them? I'm sure this has been studied.

We all should be at peace with our mortality always lurking around every corner but I do wonder what local, state and The Federal Government have in place to prevent catastrophic casualties in such an event.

by Anonymousreply 33June 12, 2019 12:06 PM

California is big enough that if a large quake happens in SF, LA would not even feel it and visa versa. So help and aid would still be available from within the state. Nut jobs in NYC and the east coast always think the whole state is going to fall into the ocean. No clue about how strike slip faults work.

The rumors of our impending doom are vastly overrated. It's funny, before 9/11 the same east coast jealous bitches were always predicting disaster for California. Not a single one saw 9/11 coming. The worse disaster in the history of the US.

by Anonymousreply 34June 12, 2019 12:07 PM

In Los Angeles, we might get a few seconds warning. They have been working on an early warning system for about the last 5 years. Thousands of sensors in the ground that can transmit data faster than the shock waves. Maybe 15 to 30 seconds warning depending on how close you are to the epicenter. Comes right to your phone through a free app. Just came out a few months ago.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 35June 12, 2019 12:12 PM

There's some Poo on this thread. Nothing arouses Poo more than the prospect of a mass casualty, especially if it has Illuminati connections.

by Anonymousreply 36June 12, 2019 12:51 PM

“ ... Caltech seismologist Egill Hauksson said the chance that the series of tremors will turn into a large and destructive quake isn’t particularly high. ... “

by Anonymousreply 37June 12, 2019 1:03 PM

R36 Poo calls everyone else Poo. Get lost. No one needs you R36.

by Anonymousreply 38June 12, 2019 1:03 PM

Sorry for not using paragraphs, I was responding in the middle of the night not realizing I had written a dissertation. I still believe there can only be plans. An actual event changes everything, even training, and best-laid plans.

I should never mention my kitty ever. I live alone and she's my love object, and I am her's.

I don't think of dying in an earthquake, so few deaths actually do from these events in CA. They are frightening. For me, they are more amazing than frightening. Our biggest threat is a tsunami generated by the massive shelf on the big island of Hawaii collapsing. That has the potential to kill many since we could never get all the elderly and infirmed living in beachfront condos to safety even with the two to four hour of warning.

by Anonymousreply 39June 12, 2019 3:29 PM

With all the advancement in technology , you would think we could predict an earthquake by now.

by Anonymousreply 40June 12, 2019 3:34 PM

The unpredictability of earthquakes is their scariest quality. You just learn to live with the threat here. That said, I find hurricanes and tornadoes more frightful -- it seems they more regularly do property damage in the areas they afflict.

by Anonymousreply 41June 12, 2019 3:39 PM

With New Madrid Seismic Zone and newly discovered fault line, I think Oklahoma will collapse and vanish from the US before Cali does. RIP OK.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 42June 12, 2019 4:43 PM

Isn't there a way to train an earthquake so it only affects ugly people?

by Anonymousreply 43June 12, 2019 4:48 PM

R43 Life should always destroy morons, inbreds, retards, and trolls like you, dearie.

by Anonymousreply 44June 13, 2019 12:56 AM

[quote] R36] Poo calls everyone else Poo. Get lost. No one needs you [R36].

R38 is the evil Co-Poo. She always foams at the cooze when someone criticizes a Poo'ish conspiracy theory.

by Anonymousreply 45June 13, 2019 1:01 AM

How’s Kentucky working out for you, r30?

by Anonymousreply 46June 13, 2019 1:07 AM

The maximum possible earthquake in SoCal is 8.2, which would be a devastating monster. The largest reasonably possible is 7.1 or so.

Northridge in Jan 1993 was 6.7; the previously largest one was in 1971 -- the Sylmar quake was 6.5. No major quakes in the last 26 years worries me immensely.

The longest gap between large SoCal earthquakes used to be 1948-1971, 23 years. We're overdue.

by Anonymousreply 47June 13, 2019 1:16 AM

And, re OP, Fontana is 50 miles from LA. The San Andreas fault is even farther.

by Anonymousreply 48June 13, 2019 1:18 AM

FWIW, kids in Southern California are mostly all taught in school what to do in case of an earthquake. Earthquake drills -- drop to the ground, take cover underneath a desk, hold on. Try to protect your head and neck from whatever is falling above you.

Keep lots of canned goods and LOTS of water in supply. You don't know how long you'll need them.

by Anonymousreply 49June 13, 2019 2:21 AM

R47 Whatever. A 9.5er would be a godsend.

by Anonymousreply 50June 13, 2019 2:32 AM

I was in the Northridge quake I was living in Van Nuys at the time. My condo was destroyed. In my bedroom, there was a crack I could stick my arm through to the outside. I grabbed all the clothes I could and put them in my car. I went to work, I had nowhere else to go. Luckily my boss at the time had two apartments and he let me stay in one. My co-workers were very nice and gave me things like pots, pans etc. Once I got FEMA money and insurance I could rebuild but it was a hard year.

by Anonymousreply 51June 13, 2019 2:40 AM

Earthquakes are just a part of living on the west coast. This is pioneer country; we deal with it and rebuild what they destroy. Unfortunately, when the "big one" hits, it will cause major damage and the tsunamis will obliterate coastal cities from San Diego to Vancouver. A lot of people will die. It sucks, but that's just the way it is. There is danger in every corner of this planet.

by Anonymousreply 52June 13, 2019 2:43 AM

R52 is right. It just is what it is. You can't live in a perpetual state of fear. Danger lurks everywhere and you probably have a far likelier chance of dying in a car crash than an earthquake.

by Anonymousreply 53June 13, 2019 2:49 AM

R52 Those dead will be welcomed into the arms of Jebus. That black Rastafarian dude in the sky.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 54June 13, 2019 2:56 AM

You won't see another major earthquake in America, in your lifetime OP.

Disasters are much less frequent since the 80s.

by Anonymousreply 55June 13, 2019 3:56 AM

[quote]Anyone who chooses to live on a fault line deserves to die and is not deserving of any sympathy. [bold]I will be so happy when the Big One wipes Cali off the map. [/bold]

NO you won't. The Repubes will win every election with California out of the way. Your rights would be the first to go out the window.

by Anonymousreply 56June 13, 2019 4:07 AM

My cats woke me up several minutes before the Northridge earthquake hit. Their eyes were blazing. Then they ran under the bed for safety. Living near Melrose & La Brea, I was lucky nothing was damaged.

However many lawyers and doctors weren't allowed access to their offices and crucial paperwork for a long period of time. Sections of the San Fernando Valley experienced a lot of damage too. One particular restaurant/bar was built to survive an earthquake and was the only building undamaged on its block.

by Anonymousreply 57June 13, 2019 4:26 AM

I've written about this before; southern california had it's big, freaky earthquake in the 1700's, far too close in time for another big quake in the area.

It is thought to have been 9ish and was centered close to the El Centro area. It was documented by Spanish explorers and not well known due to it's somewhat limited availability in book form.

Therefore, so cal will not have another great shaker for hundreds of years to come.

Expect the usual 5ers and the Tejon pass area is most prone.

by Anonymousreply 58June 13, 2019 4:31 AM

To all the twats, there are more faults than just the SA. These ones will be more destructive.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 59June 13, 2019 5:30 AM

There was a big earthquake in 1812 that knocked down or heavily damaged several missions, from Mission Santa Ines (Santa Barbara area) down to Mission San Fernando. It must have been huge. Missions were made out of brick and covered with plaster IIRC. They felt it as far east as Las Vegas, and there was a tsunami.

They think that was a 7.2.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 60June 13, 2019 5:50 AM

There are no faults capable of causing a 9.5 in CA. That would take a subduction zone fault like the Cascadia. Seattle has a larger earthquake risk than CA. My building survived the 1933 Long Beach quake (which was a 6.4) with no structural damage so I don't worry too much. But I do want to be better prepared (food, water, etc.) in case there's a major quake. And of course I need to make sure I'm stocked up on cat food in case there's an interruption to supply LOL.

by Anonymousreply 61June 13, 2019 5:53 AM

Sorry, covered with adobe.

It sounds like there were several large quakes within a few decades of that 1812 quake. One was in 1857.

by Anonymousreply 62June 13, 2019 5:54 AM

R61, me too. I’m afraid of what would happen if someone had to go without a few meals. She’s already attacking my feet in bed as it is.

It could be more life threatening than the earthquake.

by Anonymousreply 63June 13, 2019 5:56 AM

R63 exactly. Fuck the people, we only care about the animals survival.

by Anonymousreply 64June 13, 2019 5:57 AM

R59 = Dr. Lucy Jones

by Anonymousreply 65June 13, 2019 6:22 AM

[quote] Our biggest threat is a tsunami generated by the massive shelf on the big island of Hawaii collapsing. That has the potential to kill many since we could never get all the elderly and infirmed living in beachfront condos to safety even with the two to four hour of warning.

Not if you live in LA. Catalina and all the islands behind it will act as a natural barrier to break of the waves. Elderly and infirmed? Beach front property? in Ca? Really? 99% of beachfront are rich people with vast resources, escape options 10 time the average Joe.

by Anonymousreply 66June 13, 2019 7:24 AM

[quote]There was a big earthquake in 1812 that knocked down or heavily damaged several missions, from Mission Santa Ines (Santa Barbara area) down to Mission San Fernando. It must have been huge. Missions were made out of brick and covered with plaster IIRC

Brick is the worse construction materials you could use in an earthquake zone. That's why most houses are built out of wood and stucco which is flexible. As is steel in high-rise buildings.

by Anonymousreply 67June 13, 2019 7:34 AM

Earthquakes don't kill people, buildings kill people.

by Anonymousreply 68June 13, 2019 7:35 AM

9.5 is unlikely in S Cal. But in Seattle... now that's a real possibility

by Anonymousreply 69June 13, 2019 7:40 AM

Why are we even discussing this? None of us will see a 9.5 in our lifetime.

by Anonymousreply 70June 13, 2019 8:09 AM

Because people like the OP who is probably an east coast queen are jealous of California and lot to fantasize about it falling off into the ocean.

by Anonymousreply 71June 13, 2019 8:18 AM

I was talking to my friend in Phuket when the great tsunami caused by the 9.3 quake hit the island. His phone went dead and I never saw or talk to him again. RiP.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 72June 13, 2019 8:22 AM

R72 how interesting you were speaking to him at that exact moment.

by Anonymousreply 73June 13, 2019 8:30 AM

Honest question: how wide is the San Andreas fault, and how precisely is its location known? Like, could you point at an apartment building & geology report & confidently say, "Units 103, 104, and 105 are directly above it, units 101, 102, 106, and 107 are adjacent to it, and the remaining units are at least 167 feet away" ?

by Anonymousreply 74June 13, 2019 8:39 AM

R72 Sure, Jan.

by Anonymousreply 75June 13, 2019 8:44 AM

No R74, its not like Hollywood movies where you see a wide gap in the earth just open up. You can see it in the desert from how the land formation changes but even if you were standing directly on top, it would look like solid ground.

Location of faults are often thousands of feet or even miles below the surface. They can however once known be fairly close to locating them with in say dozens of feet. They can say a fault runs down the middle of a main street for example, but not exactly what side.

Thats all irrelevant anyway, if you are anywhere near the fault when it breaks, no matter what side, the ground will be shaking full strength.

by Anonymousreply 76June 13, 2019 8:53 AM

Seattle is in a lot more geological trouble then LA. Strong potentials for earthquakes, tsunamis, AND volcanoes.

by Anonymousreply 77June 13, 2019 9:09 AM

We're not all as old as you, R70.

And for those of us who are not, 'We in danger, gurr!'

by Anonymousreply 78June 13, 2019 11:37 AM

posted I was in the Northridge Quake, I can tell you exactly what it was like. I too had a pet, a dog, wake me up before it hit. My dog jumped on my chest and started crying. Then it felt like a truck hit my building. My TV shot across the room and hit the wall. Then it started shaking. The best way to describe it is, it felt like a giant picked up my place, and dropped it on the ground then shook it hard for what felt like forever. It was the middle of the night. As I stood in the doorway I could hear things crashing down. By refrigerator fell over, my dishwasher came dislodged. When it stopped shaking, I ran to the garage to get my car out of the building and sat in the street with my dog. I could hear crying, screaming and chaos. The apartment building down the road had collapsed. When the sun came up I went back into my place to survey the damage. Everything I owned was destroyed pretty much. I could see the outside from my walls, There was no power, no gas, no water. I found a phone plugged it into the jack and surprisingly I had a dial tone. I called my mother back east. She was crying on the phone when I said, "mom I am okay." She was convinced I was dead. It was the single scariest thing I have ever been in.

by Anonymousreply 79June 13, 2019 1:13 PM

R79 Are you some kind of mentally ill turd? Your fucking dog was crying. Your mother was crying. As if. People and dogs don't behave like that. You are a terrible story teller.

by Anonymousreply 80June 13, 2019 1:37 PM

I don't like you R80.

by Anonymousreply 81June 13, 2019 1:45 PM

To quote Miss Ava Gardner's first line in Earthquake.....

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 82June 13, 2019 1:50 PM

R79, My sympathies. No wonder your dog was crying as you were closer to the epicenter than me.

My 2 cats wouldn't get out from under the bed for a very long time afterwards. Every time they'd venture out for a little water and food there would be another after shock and they'd dash back under the bed to their version of safety. At the time of the quake I could have sworn my bed was switched with a vibrating model, the shaking was that intense and long.

by Anonymousreply 83June 13, 2019 1:57 PM

I took a basic CERT (Community Emergency Response Training) course through LAFD last year. Good stuff! Highly recommend it, if people have the time & interest. The 7-week course (taught at locations around the city) is FREE, no-strings-attached. There is no obligation to report somewhere, or "do something", in the event of major earthquake/disaster.

LAFD just wants to train as many people as possible to take care of themselves, their homes and their neighbors, because -- as Firefighter Bob impressed upon us nearly every week -- when the Big One hits, we're all going to be our own! The fire department, paramedics, and/or police will NOT be coming to help you. First responders will all be deployed to major structural collapses, not your house. Which all sounds pretty grim (and it is)....but I really did feel a little "better" -- or maybe less fearful? -- after taking the course. Knowledge is power and all that rot.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 84June 13, 2019 6:06 PM

This thread called all the earthquakes three weeks ago.

by Anonymousreply 85July 6, 2019 7:15 PM

When the NYC blackout happened everyone went to Weehawken Street in the West Village for an open air orgy.

by Anonymousreply 86July 6, 2019 7:23 PM

^^^^ How vivid.

by Anonymousreply 87July 6, 2019 7:51 PM

R86 that’s nasty. It was like 100 degrees that night. Barf.

by Anonymousreply 88July 6, 2019 7:54 PM

^^ It's true. That is why you have to have a plan.

by Anonymousreply 89July 6, 2019 7:55 PM

Good thing it was in the open air I guess...

by Anonymousreply 90July 6, 2019 7:57 PM

Earthquakes aren’t the only things that create gaseous emissions!

by Anonymousreply 91July 6, 2019 8:02 PM

How goes it California gays?

by Anonymousreply 92July 7, 2019 12:39 AM

Any quakes today? If not, enjoy a shake!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 93July 7, 2019 4:54 PM

Our resident sizemologist has been worthless through this whole tragic event

by Anonymousreply 94July 7, 2019 10:35 PM

r93 All of those women are STILL virgins.

by Anonymousreply 95July 8, 2019 3:09 AM

Cheryl had a QUEEF!

by Anonymousreply 96July 8, 2019 3:32 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!