Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Why did Trish Van Devere’s career go straight down the shitter?

It wasn’t from lack of acclaim or popularity. Before her marriage to George C. Scott she was in Where’s Poppa? and got a Golden Globe nomination for One is a Lonely Number. After the marriage she was in high profile films and won a Genie for The Changeling.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 19June 7, 2019 1:53 PM

She was just a so so actress that never really stood out. Just about everyone in the 70s with a name got a golden globe nomination, so don’t put much stock in that op. Funny this thread was started, I was watching one of her B movies the Hearse on YouTube. She probably wasn’t very ambitious. Bet she could tell some stories about being married to George C Scott for all those years.

by Anonymousreply 1June 5, 2019 2:04 AM

She was from the Jill Ireland/Sondra Locke school of acting : jump on a famous cock and hope for the best.

by Anonymousreply 2June 5, 2019 2:27 AM

Yikes.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3June 5, 2019 2:50 AM

Being married to an abusive alcoholic killed her spirit, no doubt.

by Anonymousreply 4June 5, 2019 3:12 AM

She somehow got into movies when she had a face for TV at best. She should have been Abby on Eight is Enough or Barrie Youngfellow on It’s A Living.

by Anonymousreply 5June 5, 2019 4:00 AM

Damned if I know. Why does datalounge have one poster who obsesses over actresses careers going down the shitter?

by Anonymousreply 6June 5, 2019 4:34 AM

Even if her career was headed for great things, and it wasn't, does anyone think George C. Scott would have allowed his wife to have more success than he did? Once she married George C., she was consigned to second banana.

by Anonymousreply 7June 5, 2019 4:38 AM

Hmmm I’m trying to decide whether to go off on OP or thank him.

by Anonymousreply 8June 5, 2019 4:42 AM

Trish was the only one of Lt Colombo's murderers who when arrested doesn't thank him or otherwise collapse into a quivering ball of jelly. She calmly says she will fight the case, the only one who ever did. Her character is also having an affair with a Judy Garland type troubled performer, that too was rare for the time.

I thought Trish did just fine.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9June 5, 2019 7:33 AM

This is supposed to be her in later years, or maybe someone else with the same name.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10June 5, 2019 10:35 AM

She looks like a lez in the picture.

by Anonymousreply 11June 7, 2019 1:08 PM

BORING actress, peculiar and annoying voice. The end.

by Anonymousreply 12June 7, 2019 1:11 PM

She was intimidated by Erika Slezak.

by Anonymousreply 13June 7, 2019 1:11 PM

She was also one of the many Patti's on "Search For Tomorrow" (which also included Nancy Pinkerton, the original Dorian, and Tina Sloan of "Guiding Light"). Something tells me that she worked because she wanted to act and left when the business was no longer fun for her.

by Anonymousreply 14June 7, 2019 1:21 PM

First she was in a BO bomb that seemed to be aimed at children (Day of the Dolphin) . Then she starred in The Savage Is Loose.

by Anonymousreply 15June 7, 2019 1:28 PM

Her birth name was Patricia Louise Dressel. I can see why she needed to change it for show biz. But I think she overshot the runway a bit with 'Trish Van Devere.'

Could anyone live up to that name? We think not. Certainly not a serious actress. It really sounds like a name for a show girl or a very expensive call girl.

by Anonymousreply 16June 7, 2019 1:32 PM

Oh, my. Well, maybe it's a good name for her, after all.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17June 7, 2019 1:37 PM

R16 It worked for me!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18June 7, 2019 1:37 PM

We used to call her Tush van Derriere.

by Anonymousreply 19June 7, 2019 1:53 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!