Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

How formal or casual is your work dress code?

I just watched Hidden Figures and if it wasn’t obvious enough they had a dress code with the men all wearing identical outfits, they talk about the female dress code. My dad wear a suit every single day to work. My husband is an attorney and started off wearing suits but now can dress much more casual as he’s meeting with clients. I am a teacher and I dress much more casual than the teachers I had growing up. The male and female teachers I had growing up basically or suits or pants suits. Does anyone still work in a place with a very strict dress code? Or is it come as you are? How many of you can wear jeans to work on a regular basis?

by Anonymousreply 36June 17, 2019 6:41 AM

In architect work, panties are optional.

by Anonymousreply 1June 5, 2019 1:22 AM

I meant he can dress casual unless he’s meeting with clients. Then it’s a suit.

by Anonymousreply 2June 5, 2019 1:22 AM

Anything goes. People routinely wear t-shirts, jeans, shorts, even sweatpants. Nobody wears a coat or tie and nobody gives a shit.

Software development, of course.

by Anonymousreply 3June 5, 2019 1:23 AM

We’re pretty casual but I did once nix an applicant who showed up for her interview in a ROMPER.

by Anonymousreply 4June 5, 2019 1:23 AM

I'm appalled by how casual everyone is. I used to work in an office and they had business casual Fridays, now every day is casual. I will say this OP, if I went to see an attorney and he was dressed casual. I'd walk right out and find a different one. I want my attorney in a suit when he sees me.

by Anonymousreply 5June 5, 2019 1:24 AM

Sweatpants?

by Anonymousreply 6June 5, 2019 1:24 AM

We've all given up!

by Anonymousreply 7June 5, 2019 1:25 AM

One of our top slags wears pants that appear to be something like a combination of pajama bottoms and sweatpants.

by Anonymousreply 8June 5, 2019 1:27 AM

R5 I fixed the comment, he does have to be in a suit. Funnily enough he did a mercifully brief stint at a law firm that tried to show how hip they are and no one wore suits, per the firm ideals. A client complained to the attorney who started to the firm that he was dressed casually. They charged regular from prices. I couldn’t be happier he left that place quickly.

by Anonymousreply 9June 5, 2019 1:27 AM

Sweatpants, shorts, tank tops, flip flops.

by Anonymousreply 10June 5, 2019 1:27 AM

*the attorney that had started the firm

by Anonymousreply 11June 5, 2019 1:28 AM

[quote] per the firm ideals

What ideals could they have possibly had other than "Make more money!"

by Anonymousreply 12June 5, 2019 1:29 AM

I work in academia. The faculty don't give a shit and wear whatever. But for the administrative frauen, it's always a Chico's kind of day!

by Anonymousreply 13June 5, 2019 1:30 AM

Anyone have a suit and tie dress code? I remember when at last they didn’t require my dad to wear his suit jacket all day during the summer. He just had to wear a shirt and tie in the summer. This was shortly before he retired

by Anonymousreply 14June 5, 2019 1:31 AM

R12 He wanted all the attorneys to bring seven-eight figures a year wearing jeans. No he is not a millennial

by Anonymousreply 15June 5, 2019 1:32 AM

Last job, in Qatar, was casual. With the heat, I'd wear thin khakis with a roomy cut. Pants sticking to sweaty legs is fucking horrible. Shirts? Generally short-sleeve, loose fit. I'd throw on a not-outrageous Hawaiian shirt from time to time. T-shirts were fine on casual Thursdays -- what with the work week being Sun-Thurs.

Next stop: Oman. Job looks good, but it's a formal environment. Even with that heat, suits and ties. Motherfuckers.

Maybe I can convert to the local faith, wear the long, white robe. Arab colleagues say they're extremely comfortable.

by Anonymousreply 16June 5, 2019 1:35 AM

My partner's job is in the smart to business casual range, with summers and Fridays as casual. I work from home so can wear anything I'd like! If I have video calls that day I wear a nicer shirt.

by Anonymousreply 17June 5, 2019 9:04 PM

Insurance Co: business casual which means dress like a slob. I wear trousers and a dress shirt.

by Anonymousreply 18June 5, 2019 9:06 PM

Private Banker here to the rich and famous and generally wear suits every day except Friday. If I'm not seeing clients I wear biz casual, a blazer, dress pants and nice shoes. By the way all the clients dress like slobs.

by Anonymousreply 19June 5, 2019 9:39 PM

R3, I've worked in marketing for 2 well known insurance companies, the only time where it was expected to be "business casual" or even dressed in a more formal suit and tie, was when we were meeting with vendors and agencies, and ultimately going out to dinner/lunch at some higher end place. "business casual" doesn't mean dressing like a "slob". I've been interviewed, and subsequently hired, by said companies, where I showed up in a full suit and tie, and they were simply wearing dress pants, a dress shirt, dress shoes, etc... no tie or jacket.

by Anonymousreply 20June 5, 2019 9:43 PM

I always try to keep my clothes elegant and simple.

(Not like this Lucille Le S. person...)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 21June 5, 2019 10:07 PM

Now that summer is here is anyone still having to wear a suit jacket all day?

by Anonymousreply 22June 17, 2019 1:07 AM

I work at a medium sized hedge fund. If investor's aren't visiting the office that day you can basically wear whatever

by Anonymousreply 23June 17, 2019 1:20 AM

I work at home, but am always on video calls. I usually wear a dress shirt and boxers. Business up top and party down below.

by Anonymousreply 24June 17, 2019 1:26 AM

Levi’s, sneakers and T-shirts. We switched almost 10 years ago. One SVP fought against it. All C level people voted for it.

The Indian women decided to have dress up Fridays. They wear their saris. Each one costs up to a $1,000 and they have many in their wardrobe. Honestly, the saris are amazing.

by Anonymousreply 25June 17, 2019 1:36 AM

Earrings

Caftans

Hostess pants on occasion

by Anonymousreply 26June 17, 2019 1:39 AM

Work at home. Pajamas til noon. Then shower and brush my teeth and put on clean pajamas.

by Anonymousreply 27June 17, 2019 1:44 AM

Software and systems development for a public university, so lots of school pride dry-fit tees and slightly dressy beachwear shorts this time of year.

In the winter I indulge my hoodie fetish with abandon.

by Anonymousreply 28June 17, 2019 1:50 AM

Younger city-based transactional attorney here. My office is still relatively formal. Most of the older attorneys/partners wear matched suits, ties, dress shoes, etc. to the office. The younger attorneys dress, not so much casual, but more trendy. One of the star associates is often at work in trendy jumpsuits. We are required to dress conservatively when we are meeting with clients or attys from outside firms (esp. the opposition), which is the typical boring-attorney look with matched suits, or at least something more classic akin to a prep-school uniform. I don't know of many firms in my area that require suits for attorneys (at least not in my area, those in the public sect dress more traditionally formal). We still have casual Fridays where we can wear nicer jeans.

by Anonymousreply 29June 17, 2019 1:50 AM

College professor, so they’re just grateful I show up to classes.

by Anonymousreply 30June 17, 2019 2:00 AM

Ties need to go the way of the dinosaurs.

by Anonymousreply 31June 17, 2019 2:20 AM

Software development company so casual all the way. Almost no restrictions and yes, I've seen sweatpants, tank tops, torn jeans, etc. Nobody gives a shit.

by Anonymousreply 32June 17, 2019 2:24 AM

Nurse here- stuck in navy blue polyester. No such thing as a casual day

by Anonymousreply 33June 17, 2019 2:28 AM

Yoga pants and a tank top or t shirt and sneakers

by Anonymousreply 34June 17, 2019 2:33 AM

sweat pants and hoodie in the cooler months

by Anonymousreply 35June 17, 2019 2:38 AM

I'm in court most of the time so I wear a suit. Nothing is sexier to me than a man in a good tailored suit - unless they're naked.

Clients want to see their attorneys dressed professionally. They do not want to see casual dress in an attorney. Anything sloppy or too casual makes them think the work will be sloppy or casual.

Personally I think teachers should dress as examples for their students. What's wrong with young men and women looking at their teachers as professionals rather than someone going to softball practice? Maybe it would help them get more respect from students.

by Anonymousreply 36June 17, 2019 6:41 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!