Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Classic rock fans: do you prefer Pink Floyd or Led Zeppelin?

I love them both but Pink Floyd probably has a slight edge for me.

by Anonymousreply 19June 5, 2019 10:26 AM

Difficult question indeed, but in considering their overall output, I would say Pink Floyd had the better discography. I'm not crazy about some of the more bluesy Led Zep stuff and of course, the plagiarism is a turnoff. But I'm still a fan of both. And nobody wore a pair of jeans better than Robert Plant.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1June 4, 2019 1:23 PM

Indeed r1!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2June 4, 2019 1:28 PM

Pink Floyd for sure! They have a more diverse sound. Despite turning 20 this year, I feel like I'm too old for Led Zeppelin but I do feel like listening to "Going to California" or "Since I've been lovin' you" from time to time.

by Anonymousreply 3June 4, 2019 1:30 PM

This is definitely Led Zeppelin at the top of their game.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4June 4, 2019 1:32 PM

Kashmir is the GOAT.

by Anonymousreply 5June 4, 2019 1:38 PM

Kashmir is cool and all but it gets boring after the first minute let's be honest.

by Anonymousreply 6June 4, 2019 1:39 PM

Kashmir isn't even in my top favorite songs on Physical Graffiti. I also find it monotonous. But that's my overall favorite LZ album.

by Anonymousreply 7June 4, 2019 1:45 PM

Both bands are top notch but I never get tired of listening to Led Zeppelin's Ramble On and Rock and Roll.

by Anonymousreply 8June 4, 2019 1:47 PM

Pink Floyd. IMO they put out three albums that were listenable from beginning to end - "Dark Side of the Moon", "Wish You Were Here" and "Animals".

For me, LZ's albums contained several great singles but a lot of filler that didn't appeal to me.

As songwriters, Plant and Page were nowhere near Waters/Gilmore, either.

by Anonymousreply 9June 4, 2019 1:52 PM

I agree with you r9 but I would add "Meddle" to the list as well and maybe "Atom Heart Mother" too.

by Anonymousreply 10June 4, 2019 1:54 PM

Syd Barrett's Pink Floyd is criminally underrated.

by Anonymousreply 11June 4, 2019 1:58 PM

R10

Yeah, I agree about "Meddle". It's been so long since I listen to Atom Heart Mother, I can't comment.

However, I just saw the movie "More" recently. The psychedelic soundtrack was done by Pink Floyd.

I would add that soundtrack as well!

by Anonymousreply 12June 4, 2019 1:59 PM

While I love both, I feel that Zep were better musicians. Floyd was just a sound effects band. Gilmour was the best musician in that band, the rest were pretty limited in their abilities. I can get into all of Zep's albums, while only a few of Floyd's albums were good. Meddle is my fave by PF, and I loathe The Wall by Floyd.

by Anonymousreply 13June 4, 2019 2:23 PM

R13

I agree with you about "The Wall".

For me, Pink Floyd's streak of perfect albums came to an end with that one. A very overrated album, IMO. There are some great songs on it, but it just came off as a Roger Waters vanity project. I absolutely hate the hit single "Another Brick In The Wall". I wish it had been "Comfortably Numb" instead.

by Anonymousreply 14June 4, 2019 2:30 PM

This is probably unpopular but I find Division Bell one of the best albums by Pink Floyd.

I listened to it as I drove through Death Valley and it did not disappoint.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 15June 4, 2019 3:07 PM

Pink Floyd is very interesting

Zeppelin is very fun

by Anonymousreply 16June 4, 2019 3:09 PM

r16 you sum it up nicely.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17June 4, 2019 3:11 PM

Obviously a trick question OP, to which the only acceptable answer is UFO over either.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18June 4, 2019 4:25 PM

I'm surprised to see Zeppelin ahead.

by Anonymousreply 19June 5, 2019 10:26 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!