Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

It's iced tea time and I've discovered citric acid

It's my favorite beverage and I drink it all day long in summer (before someone says I type fat, I don't use sugar). When out and I got bottled iced tea, l noticed that it's much tangier than the homemade variety even after squeezing a liberal amount of lemon into it. Apparently, the secret is the citric acid which is added as a preservative/stabilizer to the bottled product that might sit on shelves for a long period of time. I started getting citric acid at the local food coop and it gives an amazing flavor. Just a pinch for a pitcher.

by Anonymousreply 11May 29, 2019 12:56 AM

Yup, it's great for a refreshing drink. I use it to flavour sauces as well.

You can also use pure ascorbic acid (vitamin C) in powder form for much the same effect. It's not that expensive either; I paid 3€ for 100g of pharmacy-grade quality the other day. You do have to keep it out of direct sunlight, though. Mixed with distilled water, it can also be used as a potent facial toner to brighten and firm the skin.

by Anonymousreply 1May 29, 2019 12:10 AM

I prefer homemade tea to bottled tea in part because it doesn’t have that flavor, which tastes very artificial to me. Different strokes.

by Anonymousreply 2May 29, 2019 12:12 AM

Good luck with the enamel on your teeth.

by Anonymousreply 3May 29, 2019 12:13 AM

I also discovered this liquid sweetener. Delicious and no calories!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4May 29, 2019 12:15 AM

Iced tea made from this stuff is like liquid crack:

You would also use a little bit of citric acid. Same goes for melonade (and some rose water, shh).

Is there a homemade non-alcoholic NON-CARBONATED beverage thread yet?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5May 29, 2019 12:16 AM

r3 He can always use a straw or not even bother with that if he happens to have porcelain falsies/veneers.

by Anonymousreply 6May 29, 2019 12:16 AM

r5 Holy crap, that tea looks amazing. I feel my thirst being quenched just looking at the description.

by Anonymousreply 7May 29, 2019 12:18 AM

It's "fruit punch" without the guilt, R7.

by Anonymousreply 8May 29, 2019 12:19 AM

I love the Tazo Passion iced tea. It's the standard iced tea offering at Starbucks along with the usual black tea.

Yes, R3, the enamel issue did cross my mind. But I just like it too much. It can't be much worse than those folks who drink Diet Coke all day long.

by Anonymousreply 9May 29, 2019 12:34 AM

I kind of want to make my own passion tea. What kind of hibiscus flower would you use?

by Anonymousreply 10May 29, 2019 12:52 AM

Nvm, I'm assuming it's hibiscus sabdariffa after googling it myself.

by Anonymousreply 11May 29, 2019 12:56 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!