Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Do you ever long for life before the internet?

I do ...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 29May 24, 2019 11:32 PM

Daily.

by Anonymousreply 1May 24, 2019 5:53 PM

no. I like moving forward. I'm old and getting to the end of the line and want to see as much as I can before I go. Things would be awful if we didn't progress. Embrace it.

by Anonymousreply 2May 24, 2019 5:56 PM

No, but I do long for the early days when you had to have a certain level of intelligence to operate a computer, the internet was so much more civil then. I do remember thinking that once computers and internet access was made available to the masses it won't be very nice. I was right

by Anonymousreply 3May 24, 2019 6:19 PM

Every damn day since 11/08/2016.

by Anonymousreply 4May 24, 2019 6:19 PM

No dude

by Anonymousreply 5May 24, 2019 6:27 PM

No but long for life before smart phones.

by Anonymousreply 6May 24, 2019 6:32 PM

I took a break from the internet for 4 days and it was amazing just how much better I felt. Going back online my mood dropped within minutes.

by Anonymousreply 7May 24, 2019 6:40 PM

R7, why are you here?

by Anonymousreply 8May 24, 2019 6:42 PM

Not r7 r8, but I can't go more than a day or so without internet access. My job doesn't allow it.

Which sucks, but at least I can unplug on vacation.

I also don't have a smartphone, which helps.

by Anonymousreply 9May 24, 2019 6:44 PM

No, eldergay.

by Anonymousreply 10May 24, 2019 6:46 PM

R8 I'm addicted.

by Anonymousreply 11May 24, 2019 6:47 PM

Yes, only because I was young and my body didn't hurt as much as it does now. I was also thinner because I had to run around for things, now I sit on my ass and order online.

by Anonymousreply 12May 24, 2019 6:50 PM

Not at all; my life couldn't function without the internet, but I consider it a solitary activity I do in private, so I long for the days before smartphones. Life worked perfectly well from 2000 to 2008.

by Anonymousreply 13May 24, 2019 6:50 PM

I could do without the internet, but I really miss the time before smartphones nd social media. 98-2006, that was good.

by Anonymousreply 14May 24, 2019 6:54 PM

I long for life before smartphones, and easy-to-download videos and embedded videos (I believe it was called 2.0, but I'm not even sure). Hordes of philistines flooded the Internet the minute it became like reality television. OTOH, I find paying for and booking things online to be very convenient.

by Anonymousreply 15May 24, 2019 7:01 PM

Yes and no.

by Anonymousreply 16May 24, 2019 7:03 PM

Sometimes. The growing lack of privacy is scary.

by Anonymousreply 17May 24, 2019 7:05 PM

Eldergays created the internet, underphag, R10. WTF have you ever done?

by Anonymousreply 18May 24, 2019 7:05 PM

Can I live without the internet?

by Anonymousreply 19May 24, 2019 7:05 PM

Love the internet.

History will look back at this time as a significant moment that mankind stepped forward. Agricultural, industrial and now technological revolutions changed and are changing lives.

My dad is 90. He was born in the era of The Great Depression. He played as a child, watching bombs drop on the local towns. He was born when flying was in its infancy, yet he watched man land a fellow man on the Moon. When he makes his tea and toast in the morning, he does it with a toaster that has more processing power than the spacecraft that took man there.

It's a great time to be alive. Embrace it. History hasn't been kind to those who resist change.

by Anonymousreply 20May 24, 2019 7:05 PM

No, because if you use the internet productively to expand your mind, it is an amazing tool. Before the internet, you had to live in a big city if you wanted any cultural stimulation or exposure to ideas. The internet has become a democratic medium because now information is available to EVERYONE, not just the self appointed cultural elitists.

by Anonymousreply 21May 24, 2019 7:10 PM

I do miss using travel agents. They provided extra service on their travel experiences and fun places to see. I do like the instant news one gets online.

by Anonymousreply 22May 24, 2019 7:14 PM

The internet is an elite tool to monitor, divert, and market to the masses. It also breeds bullying. It sucks the life out of you.

by Anonymousreply 23May 24, 2019 7:17 PM

R14 Same here. 1998-2006, that was the Internet's golden age. DL is a little bit like that, because it is primarily text and slightly freakish.

by Anonymousreply 24May 24, 2019 8:14 PM

I love the internet and I wouldn’t want to be without. It’s so easy to google any questions you have, and if can be very educational as long as you use it wisely.

What I dislike is social media, which is why I don’t have Facebook, Twitter, or any of the other atrocities. DL is pretty much the only place where I post.

by Anonymousreply 25May 24, 2019 9:07 PM

Eldergay here, before the internet I would go to the library and spend hours going through the reference section, magazines and newspapers. Now I have that at my finger tips, no way would I want to go back to before the internet.

by Anonymousreply 26May 24, 2019 10:07 PM

I miss buying records, and then CDs, and books.

by Anonymousreply 27May 24, 2019 10:38 PM

I still have a lot of my old records!

by Anonymousreply 28May 24, 2019 11:00 PM

Miss paperbacks smelling of sun tan oil with sand between the pages.

by Anonymousreply 29May 24, 2019 11:32 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!