Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

COBBLER HELP!

I promised my mother-in-law that I'd make a cobbler (my first) for her visit to our home; there will be twelve of us at this dinner. The only thing is that I tried hers once, a peach cobbler, and she dropped dough bits in the fruit mixture, which gave everything a raw mushy texture. I ate it, but I almost gagged twice. She also used canned fruit, which was fine; I actually found it better/sweeter than fresh fruit. Anyway, my husband is expecting me to follow his mom's recipe, but I'd rather follow my own mom's. Instead of dropping in dough balls, she uses a pie crust for the bottom and one for the top and bakes it in a 9x13 pan. I think the crust turns out better than the dropped balls, but the fresh fruit makes it tarter, which isn't my favorite.

The problem is that my parents will be joining us at my husband's parent's house for the dinner, and it's probably best that I avoid both recipes altogether, so I'm hoping to find a *fantastic* one here. Peach is fine, cherry and apple are my favorite, but I'm willing to try something totally new.

Any good tried-and-true recipes and/or suggestions?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 99May 28, 2019 10:17 AM

If you want to try something out of the box, try apricot or strawberry cobbler.

by Anonymousreply 1May 19, 2019 8:12 PM

Make a peach or pear crisp

by Anonymousreply 2May 19, 2019 8:14 PM

Strawberry-rhubarb cobbler

by Anonymousreply 3May 19, 2019 8:15 PM

R2 OP can't - they've been promised a cobbler.

by Anonymousreply 4May 19, 2019 8:16 PM

How about a peach and cinnamon cobbler?

by Anonymousreply 5May 19, 2019 8:17 PM

Quick and easy recipe. Cut up your peaches and line them up on a baking dish. Take a vanilla cake mix and sprinkle it over the fruit. Take butter, 1-2 sticks, and drop them over the mix. Bake at 350 for 45 minutes. The cake mix, butter and juice from the fruit will mix together and form a crust. Enjoy!

by Anonymousreply 6May 19, 2019 8:18 PM

One to two sticks of butter?

Or one half stick?

by Anonymousreply 7May 19, 2019 8:19 PM

R6 That’s a version of a crisp

by Anonymousreply 8May 19, 2019 8:22 PM

My grandmothers cook used fresh peaches. She added canned pineapple chunks in syrup to the filling. Pastry crust top and bottom on a deep baking dish. It was wonderful. I had a great childhood.

by Anonymousreply 9May 19, 2019 8:28 PM

Here you go OP. This is pretty much my mom and dads recipe. It does use the drop method but it works. If you use canned fruit you have to adjust the liquid. That’s what makes the top mushy. Blueberries aren’t in season yet here but you can usually find them.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10May 19, 2019 8:31 PM

This one of those English words that are too confusing. I assumed this would be about shoes.

by Anonymousreply 11May 19, 2019 8:32 PM

* Meant to say that my parents are joining us and my husband's parents at our house for dinner!

All of these sound great so far, but I need recipes, please. R6, I'll have to try that! I'm not sure of the difference between a cobbler and a crisp, though. Either way, our dog Buddy always gets a serving, and I'm sure he'd approve!

R10...mouth-watering!

by Anonymousreply 12May 19, 2019 8:33 PM

R7, sticks. However many it takes to cover. R6, it's not a crisp. The cake mix makes a great crust.

by Anonymousreply 13May 19, 2019 8:36 PM

OP, first of all, a pie crust with fruit in the middle and another pie crust on top (your parents recipe) is nota cobbler; it's a pie.

I recommend SoulfulT on youtube. She is a morbidly obese Black woman, living in DC, lacking front teeth, who is charming and not only a great cook, but a fantastic baker. All of her recipes are awesome. She has several videos that will take you through making great fruit cobblers (canned fruit or fresh fruit) and they will be perfection.

You're welcome.

by Anonymousreply 14May 19, 2019 8:47 PM

Fools them every time.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 15May 19, 2019 8:58 PM

R8, by "crisp" do you mean a crumble? I like to add raisins and walnuts to mine, and I incorporate oatmeal into the crust.

by Anonymousreply 16May 19, 2019 8:58 PM

This recipe of Ruth Reichl's (editor of the late great Gourmet magazine) is called a "crumble" but it's more like a cobbler (and looks more like one if you drop the batter on top of the fruit in blobs rather than pouring it over). For 6 people, I'd double this recipe and put it in in a 9"x13" plan, which probably takes the same amount of baking time (stick a toothpick in the topping to be sure it comes out dry and the fruit will be fine). Note that this can be done with any kind and combination of fruits you like.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17May 19, 2019 9:21 PM

R16 / R17. YES. I meant a crumble, not a crisp. Thank you.

Well, as much as i love to hate this Frau of the Highest Order, I highly recommend “Pionner Woman’s” version of “Cuppa Cuppa Cuppa,” from Steel Magnolia’s

I know, MARY!!!!

by Anonymousreply 18May 19, 2019 9:34 PM

^^^oh but just use canned peaches and their juice, not fruit cocktail.

You’re welcome.

by Anonymousreply 19May 19, 2019 9:36 PM

Easy and delicious

I may make some tonight!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 20May 19, 2019 9:41 PM

In Ruth Reichl's recipe, I sometimes use half brown sugar (dark or light) instead of all white sugar -- especially with peaches, apricots, pears, apples (berries are fine with all white sugar) . And you can substitute cinnamon for some or all of the nutmeg if you prefer. Pretty hard to screw this up.

by Anonymousreply 21May 19, 2019 9:43 PM

R20 and others here at DL. I am telling you, SoulfulT is the bomb!

by Anonymousreply 22May 19, 2019 10:00 PM

Make two, one of each mother's recipe that the family likes.

by Anonymousreply 23May 19, 2019 10:01 PM

^^^ Won’t serving two cobblers identified as representing each family’s sacred recipe touch off a brouhaha at this dinner?

by Anonymousreply 24May 19, 2019 10:06 PM

Make your own version and start your own tradition

by Anonymousreply 25May 19, 2019 10:15 PM

Am I invited?

by Anonymousreply 26May 19, 2019 10:16 PM

Generally speaking, a crisp is fruit baked with a crumb mixture made of butter, flour and sugar, and sometimes spices, on top, more dry than moist; some people add rolled oats the crumb mixture -- and some swear this should NEVER be done. A cobbler most often has a soft biscuit dough or thick batter baked on top of fruit. The example below is somewhat unusual because the almost lacquered effect of the sugar glaze on top. But it looks good to me.

Usually, anything with a top AND a bottom crust is consider a pie, but entries in this thread mention bottom crusts in a crisp or cobbler, so there clearly is some variation, perhaps regional. (A Brit might tell you that an apple pie has a top crust and is baked in a deep dish, with no bottom crust. Apples with pasty on the bottom is a tart in Britain; Americans will say that's crazy talk.)

by Anonymousreply 27May 19, 2019 10:17 PM

Here's Ina Garten recipe (with instructions) for a fresh peach cobbler. No, I haven't tried it, but her recipes are supposed to be good.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 28May 19, 2019 10:19 PM

Shoot! I put the URL in the wrong spot.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 29May 19, 2019 10:19 PM

There is one called a Snickerdoodle Cobbler. It looks great. The Pear Maple Cobbler sounds appetizing, too.

by Anonymousreply 30May 19, 2019 10:19 PM

Make it your own way -

if she criticizes you just smile...

She'll look like the interfering bitch

by Anonymousreply 31May 19, 2019 10:30 PM

To piggyback on what r27 said, cobbler crust usually has some type of leavening in the dough to give it lift, like baking powder and/or egg. You need the leavening so the crust puffs a bit like biscuits. Pie dough has no leavening so if you use that, you’ll have a rectangular top crust only pie.

A crisp topping has no leavening. Just a combination of flour, sugar, oats, spices...

by Anonymousreply 32May 20, 2019 12:44 AM

In Oz we often have crumbles - which is I think the Anglo/British name for a crisp - going from some of the descriptions above...

I was visiting kiwi friends a couple of years ago - and at a big family dinner, their strapping late twenties, ridiculously tall and handsome, former-chef son was in charge of dessert - and he made a cobbler. First time I'd had it!

It was awful. I think he rushed stuff together last minute - he clearly couldn't much be bothered. The fruit wasn't very good (tinned?) and was really mushy. The topping was bland and ordinary. Put me off trying to make one myself.

I'm glad he gave up cheffing.

by Anonymousreply 33May 20, 2019 2:49 AM

Dior’s it have to be a fruit cobbler, OP? I recently made a chocolate cobbler and it was fabulous.!

by Anonymousreply 34May 20, 2019 2:57 AM

The secret to not having a mushy biscuit topping is that you must heat the fruit to boiling BEFORE you start dropping the biscuit dough on top - otherwise, the entire bottom half of the biscuit will absorb liquid and will get mushy. Anything that has leavening in it must hit high heat immediately after you have added liquid to the dry ingredients to make the dough for the leavening to puff up and create lightness - otherwise, you're making something like a dumpling, as you would make chicken and dumplings with submerged biscuit dough. Other secrets - add additional melted butter and sugar to the biscuit dough. I don't think you have to make your biscuits from scratch. Bisquick is just as good for a dessert like this.

Typical fruit cobbler recipe:

Couple of cups bisquick - add enough milk to make a very stiff and fairly dry dough (shouldn't be sticky and wet). Add 1/4 cup sugar and 1/2 stick of melted butter to the dough and incorporate it well. . If dough becomes too sticky add a little additional biscuit mix or just some plain white flour.

Meanwhile, make sure your fruit is in a pot (2-3 cups of cut up fruit) and has come to a boil. If you start with fresh fruit, add a little water depending on the innate juiciness of the fruit, (plums peaches or rhubarb would need less water than something like apples) and some sugar when you put it on the stove - you can taste it even before cooking to make sure your sugar has balanced with the tartness in the fruit. With canned fruit, you don't need to add any additional sugar. Pour the fruit into the bottom of a baking pyrex dish. Dot the top of the fruit with some pats of butter. Grab a large spoonful of dough with a spoon and drop over the hot fruit for a more informal look, or quickly roll a large pinch between your hands and flatten it slightly before placing it over the fruit. Put in a preheated oven (like 425 degrees) and bake for about 1/2 hour to 40 minutes depending on how hot your oven is running. You can look in to check periodically. If the top of your biscuits are getting brown, it's done. Cool for 15-20 minutes, and add some ice cream or whipped cream to it to serve.

by Anonymousreply 35May 20, 2019 4:36 AM

This is neither a crumble or a cobbler recipe, but I've made variations on it for years, and it is one of the most delicious desserts ever - if you can get a hold of some rhubarb. It's in season right now, so you need to ask among your friends if you don't have some in your yard:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 36May 20, 2019 4:43 AM

I love KRUSTEAZ!! They also have a crisp mix

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 37May 20, 2019 6:33 AM

Here’s the Betty Crocker Classic Bisquick peach cobbler recipe.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 38May 20, 2019 6:59 AM

KRUSTEAZ is yummy!

by Anonymousreply 39May 20, 2019 3:24 PM

Watched some of the SoulfulT YouTube videos that were suggested earlier - holy cow! She's kinda fabulous!

Her peach cobbler recipe looks good - and she brings her fruit to the boil/simmer as suggested by the recent poster. The main difference is that she uses tinned fruit - and still adds quite a lot of sugar! I can't believe it wouldn't be tooth-achingly sweet! Needs to be reduced considerably - but otherwise - it looks pretty great!

by Anonymousreply 40May 22, 2019 8:57 AM

R36 - seriously? You take a packet of yellow cake mix...?

Do you realise where you are?

This is the datalounge. And last I checked - HOMOSEXUALS DO NOT MAKE DUMP CAKES!

Take your frauen recipes and begone!

by Anonymousreply 41May 22, 2019 9:27 AM

Oh, great. A KRUSTEAZ kween.

by Anonymousreply 42May 22, 2019 10:06 AM

Thanks r14 SoulfulT on you tube is great. Her poutine looks amazing!

by Anonymousreply 43May 22, 2019 10:52 AM

Cobbler's always good in shoo fly pie.

by Anonymousreply 44May 22, 2019 11:08 AM

As a non-American, would I be right in thinking a cobbler is the same as a crumble?

by Anonymousreply 45May 22, 2019 11:12 AM

[quote] Either way, our dog Buddy always gets a serving, and I'm sure he'd approve!

You know that's incredibly bad for him, don't you? Dogs shouldn't have sugar. And definitely don't give them sweetener's like stevia or aspartame or the others, that can kill them. Their bodies can't handle sugar and sweeteners as well as ours can.

by Anonymousreply 46May 22, 2019 11:22 AM

I find that dicing the cobbler is better than crumbling him.

by Anonymousreply 47May 22, 2019 11:34 AM

Blackberry cobbler is my favorite, followed by cherry and then peach. My babysitter from Arkansas used to make the best blackberry cobbler. It looks like the one below with the lattice dough top.

My late parents were both from the south. My mother never made cobblers because she thought they weren't as good as piesbecausethey weren't as sweet.

Don't make either your mom's recipe or your partner'smom'srecipe. Go with something completely new. I like crisps better. I'll post some for you.

My advice to you is:

1. Go with a southern recipe. It will be sweet and rich.

2. NEVER use a Martha Stewart recipe for ANYTHING.

3. Don't choose a gluten-free recipe. It will probably taste bland.

4. The Pioneer Woman's recipes look good for only cheesy and Mexican entrees. Her other stuff looks kind of gross. Her cobbler recipe photo wasn't appealing.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 48May 22, 2019 11:53 AM

The best cherry cobbler that I've ever had was from Noble's Restaurant in Brentwood, TN. They are closed now. There's a Noble's Restaurant and Beerhall in Nashville. I don't know if it is the same owner. I didn't see the cobbler on the menu but you might give them a call and see if they are the same Noble's that used to be in Brentwood. They might have the recipe and give it to you.

Our family's choice of dessert was usually pecan pie. I never had tasted a Chess Pie until I was in my twenties. It's like a pecan pie but with the pecans. Some places make a Chocolate Chess Pie.

The best Chess Pie on earth is at Pope's Cafe in Shelbyville, TN. I asked the chef for his recipe and he gave it to me. He said the secret was in mixing the ingrdients with your hands. He said by using your hands rather than a spoon or spatula, it allowed air to get mixed in there.

The Noble's cherry cobbler had a crumble top. I guess it most likely was called a cherry crisp or cherry crumble. I think it had pecans in it. The recipe below sounds pretty good, although his recipes has walnuts.

Serve your cobbler, crisp, or crumble warm with HagenDaaz Vanilla Icecream.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 49May 22, 2019 12:03 PM

Recently I had a mud pie at a resturant. It was fantastic. It had a warm crunchy brownie-like bottom.

There are a bunch of Mississippi Mud Pie recipes on the internet. A lot of look like they are ice cream on top of a cold chocolate graham cracker crust (or similar).

The dessert I had was served warm with a scoop of vanilla ice cream on top.

I like key lime pie, too. Trader Joe's has a really good one and it's cheap. Just buy one buy it from them and say you made it. It has a graham cracker crust.

by Anonymousreply 50May 22, 2019 12:12 PM

R45 - No!

You're not following at all.

A crumble and a cobbler both have a fruit base - BUT - a crumble topping is butter and sugar and flour - and sometimes oats and/or nuts and/or coconut - all rubbed in roughly together with your fingers (or briefly in a mixer or food processor) and it makes a crumbly topping.

A cobbler is a batter topping you pour over the fruit - and it rises and gets a little cakey. And maybe a bit crunchy on top of the cakiness - depending on butter & sugar ratios etc.

Cakey/puddingey topping versus crumbly topping.

And - not being North American either - I'm not 100% certain! - but I gather a crisp is essentially what our North American chums call a crumble.

by Anonymousreply 51May 22, 2019 1:17 PM

R45, I like the linked explanation but keep in mind not everyone makes cobblers and crumbles the same way and with the exact same ingredients.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 52May 22, 2019 1:18 PM

[quote]The best Chess Pie on earth is at Pope's Cafe in Shelbyville, TN. I asked the chef for his recipe and he gave it to me.

R49, PLEASE post the Chess Pie recipe! Please... (on my knees)

And I'm definitely going to try that cherry crumble!

by Anonymousreply 53May 23, 2019 6:13 AM

I have to find it in my files. Can I do it tomorrow? When do you have make your dessert?

by Anonymousreply 54May 23, 2019 6:14 AM

typo: to make

by Anonymousreply 55May 23, 2019 6:15 AM

I also had a typo earlier: Haagen Daz

by Anonymousreply 56May 23, 2019 6:19 AM

I have to go to bed. I spotted another typo: Chess Pie is like Pecan Pie only WITHOUT the pecans.

by Anonymousreply 57May 23, 2019 6:22 AM

Here's another restaurant-based recipe for Chess Pie from Allrecipes in the meantime.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 58May 23, 2019 6:22 AM

I dare you to bring a shoe maker to dinner.

by Anonymousreply 59May 23, 2019 6:25 AM

Yes, tomorrow (or whenever you can) is fine, thank you. There are so many mouth-watering recipes here, I'll have to try them all. Chess pie is another family favorite, and i agree that southern recipes are usually the richest.

As for bringing a shoe maker to dinner, I once dated a Nike exec, but I don't that would go over well. Although I do miss his shoe size, if you get my meaning.

by Anonymousreply 60May 23, 2019 6:33 AM

[quote]I also had a typo earlier: Haagen Daz

Haagen-Dazs

by Anonymousreply 61May 23, 2019 8:19 AM

R61 lol. Thanks.

R53 ... R60 + OP . Are you the same person? Ok. I found the Pope's Cafe Chess Pie recipe. I also found the recipe for a Chess Pie that won the TN state competition for Family Circle's American Pie Celebration in 1986. The recipe appeared in Tennesee Magazine, Jan 1987. One of the differences in the 2 pies is that Pope's uses cornmeal and the other uses flour.

I will post them later tonight.

by Anonymousreply 62May 23, 2019 9:10 PM

Typo: Tennessee

by Anonymousreply 63May 23, 2019 9:16 PM

[quote]And - not being North American either - I'm not 100% certain! - but I gather a crisp is essentially what our North American chums call a crumble.

Yes, R51 a crisp in North America is what Brits would call a crumble. (Though it may be that a crumble has a slightly higher proportion of crumbs/topping to fruit than a crisp. (Some recipes for apple crisp, for example, can be quite lean.) There are also buckles and grunts, but I think those are more cake-like than either cobblers or crisps, and again, there may be regional variations in naming. Here's a promising looking one for blueberry cobbler:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 64May 24, 2019 2:37 AM

Here is the recipe from Pope's Cafe for the BEST Chess Pie ever!

I can't believe that I didn't write down their recipe for the pie crust. I was with my mother at the cafe that day. I have a feeling that she told me that she would give me her traditional pie crust recipe+ graham cracker pie crust recipe later.

Please just use this recipe only for your own PERSONAL, home use. See the warning at the bottom of this recipe. Pope's Cafe is a tiny, family-run restaurant in Shelbyville, TN. They are nice people who make great food from scratch. I don't want anyone to rip them off.

Chess Pie

POPE’S CAFE

* FILLING:

1-1/2 Cups white sugar

3 Eggs

½ Cup margarine (melted)

1 Tablespoon Cornmeal

1 Tablespoon vinegar (white)

1 Tablespoon Vanilla

IMPORTANT: Mix by hand. Don’t use a spoon or spatula. Mixing by hand adds air to the mixture. This is the SECRET as to why this is the BEST Chess Pie on earth!

* Pie Crust:

Use your favorite pie crust recipe

* Pour filling into unbaked pie crust

* Bake for 45 minutes at 350 degrees Fahrentheit

THIS RECIPE IS FOR PERSONAL USE ONLY. NO COMMERCIAL USE. NO POSTING ON BLOGS, VIDEOS, PODCASTS, BOOKS, ZINES, MAGAZINES, NEWSPAPERS, OR ANY OTHER PRINTED MATERIAL OR ONLINE SITES.

© 1947-2019 POPE’s CAFE Shelbyville TN

Here is a link to photos of Pope's Cafe : https://tinyurl.com/y2k28g9g

Scroll down to photo #27 to see a longshot photo of the Chess Pie. It is on the far left. #27 is under the pix scrambled eggs, bacon and toast. I couldn't find a closeup of the Chess Pie. Pope's is known for the homemade pies and homemade hamburgers. People posted photos of the Mile High Fudge Pie (with tall meringue topping), the Pecan Pie and the Mile High Lemon Pie (with tall meringue topping).

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 65May 24, 2019 4:35 AM

I will post the other TN Chess Pie recipe within the hour.

by Anonymousreply 66May 24, 2019 4:35 AM

R65 WAIT. SORRY. IHAD A TYPO. IN THE RECIPE. i will repost the revised. I think it was 1 teaspoon of Vanilla extract not 1 tablespoon.

by Anonymousreply 67May 24, 2019 4:39 AM

******** REVISED RECIPE. USE THIS **********

Here is the recipe from Pope's Cafe for the BEST Chess Pie ever!

I can't believe that I didn't write down their recipe for the pie crust. I was with my mother at the cafe that day. I have a feeling that she told me that she would give me her traditional pie crust recipe+ graham cracker pie crust recipe later.

Please just use this recipe only for your own PERSONAL, home use. See the warning at the bottom of this recipe. Pope's Cafe is a tiny, family-run restaurant in Shelbyville, TN. They are nice people who make great food from scratch. I don't want anyone to rip them off.

Chess Pie

POPE’S CAFE

* FILLING:

1-1/2 Cups white sugar

3 Eggs

½ Cup margarine (melted)

1 Tablespoon Cornmeal

1 Tablespoon vinegar (white)

1 Teaspoon Vanilla Extract *** (It may be 1 Tablespoon not Teaspoon. see my note below)

IMPORTANT: Mix by hand. Don’t use a spoon or spatula. Mixing by hand adds air to the mixture. This is the SECRET as to why this is the BEST Chess Pie on earth!

* Pie Crust:

Use your favorite pie crust recipe

* Pour filling into unbaked pie crust

* Bake for 45 minutes at 350 degrees Fahrentheit

THIS RECIPE IS FOR PERSONAL USE ONLY. NO COMMERCIAL USE. NO POSTING ON BLOGS, VIDEOS, PODCASTS, BOOKS, ZINES, MAGAZINES, NEWSPAPERS, OR ANY OTHER PRINTED MATERIAL OR ONLINE SITES.

© 1947-2019 POPE’s CAFE Shelbyville TN

Here is a link to photos of Pope's Cafe : https://tinyurl.com/y2k28g9g

Scroll down to photo #27 to see a longshot photo of the Chess Pie. It is on the far left. #27 is under the pix scrambled eggs, bacon and toast. I couldn't find a closeup of the Chess Pie. Pope's is known for the homemade pies and homemade hamburgers. People posted photos of the Mile High Fudge Pie (with tall meringue topping), the Pecan Pie and the Mile High Lemon Pie (with tall meringue topping).

*** I'm not sure whether you use 1 Teaspoon of Vanilla Extract or one tablespoon. I think it is 1 Teaspoon. Taste the mixture to make sure. You may need to add more Vanilla Extract to equal 1 Tablespoon.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 68May 24, 2019 4:46 AM

it's a cobbler it's a crisp it's a cobbler it's a crisp it's a cobbler it's a crisp

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 69May 24, 2019 5:28 AM

This recipe was published in The Tennessee Magazine, Jan 1987, pg 18. This is just the recipe from the article, "State Pie Is A 'Cheery' Chess Pie." The article profiles Cheery Ann Salmon, TN State Winner of Family Circle's American Pie Celebration (1986).

Please use this recipe only for PERSONAL use at your home. No commercial use.

Tennessee Chess Pie (Cheery Chess Pie)

Crust:

1-1/4 cups pre-sifted all-purpose flour

3/4 teaspoon salt

1/2 cup Crisco solid shortening

5-6 tablespoons ice water

Stir flour and salt together; cut in shortening.

Add water and form dough into a ball.

Roll out on floured surface and fit into a 9-inch pie dish.

Trim crust as desired.

Filling:

2 cups sugar

1/2 teaspoon salt

1-1/2 tablespoons all-purpose flour

1/2 cup butter, softened

3 large eggs

1/2 cup evaporated milk, undiluted

1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract

Mix dry ingredients; add butter and cream well.

Add eggs and beat, then add evaporated milk and vanilla.

Stir until well blended.

Pour into shell and bake at 350 degrees (Fahrenheit) for 40-50 minutes.

Pie will be slightly less than firm but will set as it cools.

Cool completely before cutting.

(c) Cheery Ann Salmon 1986 ———————————————— Family Circle Magazine

AMERICAN PIE CELEBRATION

Tennessee State Winner, 1986:

Cheery Ann Salmon

THE TENNESSEE MAGAZINE, Jan 1987 “State Pie Is a ‘Cheery’ Chess” Page 18 Excerpt (Recipe Only)

by Anonymousreply 70May 24, 2019 6:37 AM

What would happen if I used butter instead of margarine in the Chess Pie? If no one knows, guess I'll have to make 2 pies and see how they compare -- horrors!

by Anonymousreply 71May 24, 2019 12:15 PM

[quote]What would happen if I used butter instead of margarine in the Chess Pie?

You'd have a better pie.

by Anonymousreply 72May 24, 2019 12:16 PM

I probably would use butter rather than margarine, too. But, Famous Amos used margarine instead of butter in his chocolate chip cookies. He used to serve them warm at his shop in Hollywood when he first started his company. They were delicious! His packaged cookies are good too.

by Anonymousreply 73May 24, 2019 6:37 PM

R69, it's Chesstown, Jake.

I've never seen a recipe calling for mixing BY hand and meaning WITH your hand, and to avoid using a spoon or spatula. What's that about?

by Anonymousreply 74May 25, 2019 12:44 AM

I meant a recipe for pie filling or something similarly gooey, which ought not to be mixed with the fingers.

by Anonymousreply 75May 25, 2019 12:48 AM

[quote] But, Famous Amos used margarine instead of butter in his chocolate chip cookies. He used to serve them warm at his shop in Hollywood when he first started his company. They were delicious! His packaged cookies are good too.

I always thought Famous Amos cookies were small and hard (as opposed to crispy).

by Anonymousreply 76May 25, 2019 1:14 AM

R74. Air. It's about air getting into the pie filling's mixture of ingredients.

by Anonymousreply 77May 25, 2019 10:28 AM

Here's a photo of the original Famous Amos cookie shop on Hollywood Bl. Those were fantaastic cookies. There were a million times better than Mrs. Field's or other competitors. Starbucks chocolate chip cookies are horrible as are most of their baked goods. Tate's packaged chocolate chip cookies are good. They are crisp.

by Anonymousreply 78May 25, 2019 10:32 AM

R75 Pizza crust, bread dough, and other many things are mixed by hand.

by Anonymousreply 79May 25, 2019 10:33 AM

Julia Child, Jacques Pepin, Sara Moulton, Ina Garten, Nigella Lawson, and no doubt many other good cooks say that the best tools in a kitchen are your hands.

by Anonymousreply 80May 26, 2019 12:39 AM

Are there any unique cobbler recipes out there, which are outside the norm?

by Anonymousreply 81May 26, 2019 12:53 AM

Bread dough I can see, but pastry dough would get too warm from the heat of your hand, and the fingers won't incorporate air into a filling as efficiently as, say, a whisk. That's what it's designed for. I still say mixing pie filling with the fingers is both inefficient and needlessly messy.

by Anonymousreply 82May 26, 2019 2:51 AM

[quote]I still say mixing pie filling with the fingers is both inefficient and needlessly messy.

Is there actually a recipe that says to do that? Someone must have mistyped.

by Anonymousreply 83May 26, 2019 8:24 AM

See recipe at R68.

by Anonymousreply 84May 26, 2019 11:12 AM

R82 Go ahead and be a contrarian. I posted the recipe that the chef at Pope's Cafe gave me. It is the best Chess Pie I have ever eaten. You are free not to bake it. Just stop trying to argue about it. That goes for everyone else on this thread.

You are free to bake the Cherry Chess Pie that I listed below the Pope's recipe R70 . It won the TN State competition that year in a Family Circle pie contest.

by Anonymousreply 85May 26, 2019 7:26 PM

Nobody told you what to do, R85, you prize-winning shitheel.

by Anonymousreply 86May 26, 2019 9:39 PM

Thank you so very much, R65/R68/R70!!!

I'll be making both of those chess pie versions this weekend, starting tonight, since they seem so easy. They'll be perfect for tomorrow's family cookout.

This thread started out as a cobbler thread, but it has evolved into a variety of truly excellent dessert recipes.

by Anonymousreply 87May 26, 2019 11:01 PM

Is there such a thing as an apricot cobbler?

by Anonymousreply 88May 26, 2019 11:37 PM

You have already taken that prize R86. I'm interested in helping OP+ those who wanted advice w/ cobblers. I have no interest in tussling w/ disruptive assholes

by Anonymousreply 89May 27, 2019 12:11 AM

Yes, absolutely fantastic chess pie recipes. Thank you, R85, etc! There's nothing as comforting and filling as Southern cooking.

Some of the ingredients remind me of my grandmother's Vinegar Pie recipe, but our former house was lost in a fire and unfortunately so were my grandmother's prized recipes. I've tried dozens of others in an attempt to recreate my beloved granny's, but something is always a little off. Heck, it just might be the cook! lol

by Anonymousreply 90May 27, 2019 12:41 AM

I see that the photo of the original Famous shop on Hollywood Bl. didn't make it into my previous post, upthread. The cookies were warm when you bought them. Famous Amos started out in advertising. He said that everything he did in advertising was about learning everything for the Cookie.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 91May 27, 2019 2:08 AM

R88, is there such a thing as a DL poster who reads the whole thread before asking a question that's already been answered?

by Anonymousreply 92May 27, 2019 2:39 AM

R49, I love the Southern Boy site you posted. His "Lemon Icebox Pie" and the lime version are both easy and excellent -- and his tomato/cheese pie is the best I've ever had (not to mention beautiful). It's the kind of site that makes you want to try every recipe on it.

by Anonymousreply 93May 27, 2019 4:48 AM

R93 I thought it looked good. So you have already made those things?

I want to check out DC woman's videos that someone suggested early on.

by Anonymousreply 94May 27, 2019 5:56 AM

Forgot to say I was 49. I watched a Food Network baking show online recently. There was a guy from Georgia who owns a bakery. His stuff wasn't the most artistic-looking creations but one judge said that his florentine cookie was the best he had ever tasted.

So ,Southern guy recipes could be a good thing.

by Anonymousreply 95May 27, 2019 6:01 AM

Yes, R95 -- I've made 3 recipes from the Southern Guy website: lemon icebox pie, lime icebox pie, and tomato/cheese pie. All are wonderful and I highly recommend them -- they give me confidence in his taste and judgment, so I'm encouraged to try other recipes on his site.

by Anonymousreply 96May 27, 2019 11:11 PM

Fine Cooking generally has good recipes.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 97May 27, 2019 11:16 PM

Are you talking about Southern Boy Dishes, r96?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 98May 27, 2019 11:16 PM

Yes. R96 is talking about Southern Boy Dishes.

by Anonymousreply 99May 28, 2019 10:17 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!