Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Percolators

OK ... unusual topic, but this IS Datalounge. Even though I'm an Eldergay, I didn't start drinking coffee until well after the automatic drip coffee machines were ubiquitous. But I remember my parents using percolators (both electric and stovetop) for years. I'm thinking about giving one a try, but would appreciate any comments from those of you who've used them.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 44May 20, 2019 4:12 AM

Awww, I remember those as a child. My grandmother used an old one like that. What a beautiful memory.

by Anonymousreply 1May 19, 2019 5:07 PM

Yea, they're not good. When the coffee is percolating it smells great but the temp required to get the water up to perk is way to high and brings out terrible bitter tastes. Get a drip maker with a thermal carafe and skip the percolator idea.

by Anonymousreply 2May 19, 2019 5:08 PM

I have a perculator OP, it's all I use for coffee. I like it. Easy clean up, no filters, can make it as strong as you want. I swear by it, I had a coffee machine, took up counter space, cost a lot of money, and didn't last long. This hides in the cabinet when I'm done with it. Go to Macy's or BEd Bath and Beyond with a coupon.

by Anonymousreply 3May 19, 2019 5:09 PM

Get a drip coffee maker -- call it a day -- and try to work on your attention issues.

by Anonymousreply 4May 19, 2019 5:09 PM

Yeah, they're nice to play around with but the taste comes out sour and I prefer my Turkish coffee bitter only. They're still big here in Europe, though.

Drip maker? I don't know her.

by Anonymousreply 5May 19, 2019 5:12 PM

I have a vintage ceramic percolator similar to this one. I rarely use it, but it's certainly decorative.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6May 19, 2019 5:15 PM

I love and use my Farberware percolator every day for the past 10 years. Rich, HOT coffee, everyone I serve it to is an immediate convert to percolators. I have a smaller 2-4 cup one that I got at bedbathbeyond.com (small one not avail in stores) for my daily use and a large one for company. I do use disc filters and have to order them online.

I use Community Coffee Dark Roast (preground) and have never had a bitter outcome, wonder if the filter makes a difference. 10g coffee grounds for every 6 oz water gives me a great cup of coffee.

by Anonymousreply 7May 19, 2019 5:17 PM

I always thought the old Pyrex percolators were cool. I'm sure they broke easily, though.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8May 19, 2019 5:17 PM

OMG, I have been on this kick about getting a stove top percolator for some time now- and get this, they are harder to find than you think and when you hit on one they are expennnnnnnsive….I priced a CorningWare one at $150 bucks….gotta be a stove top, not an electric, just like dear ole Mother used….I would say your best bet, which worked for me, finally, was Garage Sales, Tag Sales, Church Bizzzzzars, etc…find one cheap and experiment. Fuck those drips, french presses, blah blah blah go old school…..

by Anonymousreply 9May 19, 2019 5:18 PM

Do you have to grind your own beans to get the right grind, or can you find ground coffee for percolators? I think you have to use a coarser grind than you would for a drip machine.

by Anonymousreply 10May 19, 2019 5:18 PM

They suck. The already infused coffee water keeps circulating on the stove or whatever and gets way too hot for a decent brew. Plus you have to make at least 4 cups in most makers. Then there's no going back for seconds because it gets shittier by the minute. Those electric ones that keep it warm are a bitter nightmare.

by Anonymousreply 11May 19, 2019 5:22 PM

I checked, r9, and with shipping, they seem to go from $50 to $60 on eBay.

by Anonymousreply 12May 19, 2019 5:28 PM

I think percs make great coffee. The old stove top Corningware the best..

by Anonymousreply 13May 19, 2019 5:29 PM

Moderne

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 14May 19, 2019 5:31 PM

No on percolating because of the taste, but we use an electric kettle every day and make our coffee from that (we use those Starbucks Via’s, sue me). It is HOT which is why my husband got it. He will not be denied his hot coffee.

by Anonymousreply 15May 19, 2019 5:33 PM

The Fiesta of percolators.....

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16May 19, 2019 5:40 PM

The Harlequin of percolators....

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17May 19, 2019 5:41 PM

I hate coffee but these funny things amuse me.

by Anonymousreply 18May 19, 2019 5:43 PM

I prefer electric percolators, personally. I have a smaller Farberware electric percolator. Very low profile and easy to keep clean. I like electric percolators overall, and we used them at one of my previous workplaces, I just got the smaller unit at home because I don't need to brew an entire pot for myself.

by Anonymousreply 19May 19, 2019 5:56 PM

Just listen.....

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 20May 19, 2019 6:01 PM

I use my old style Italian percolator daily.

Makes the best coffee by far.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 21May 19, 2019 6:10 PM

R21 , I use that device as well. Most well-known maker is Bialetti. I wouldn't call it a percolator, though. It's called a moka pot. (No, it does not make "mocha" or chocolate flavored drinks.) I agree it makes good and really hot coffee.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 22May 19, 2019 6:26 PM

If it's just me I use the Bialetti Moka stovetop coffee or espresso maker:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 23May 19, 2019 6:32 PM

R22 Too funny that I posted that as well :)

by Anonymousreply 24May 19, 2019 6:32 PM

Yes, I noticed that! Love my Bialetti coffee maker.

by Anonymousreply 25May 19, 2019 6:36 PM

I went from a drip, to Keurig. I remembered my parents using a percolator, and it always looked good on tv reruns. I have been using one for two years now. Its great. I fill it the night before so I only have to plug it in in the morning. It does make the whole house smell great btw.

by Anonymousreply 26May 19, 2019 6:39 PM

They sell 'em at Bass Pro.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 27May 19, 2019 6:41 PM

coffee klatch.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 28May 19, 2019 6:42 PM

Lots of percolators available on eBay, reasonably priced (IMO).

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 29May 19, 2019 6:43 PM

I don't think they make programmable percolators, so I guess you have to wait for the coffee to brew after you turn it on/plug it in. How long do they usually take?

by Anonymousreply 30May 19, 2019 6:44 PM

I use one because it is the only type of coffee maker you can find these days that are completely stainless steel. I can taste the plastic in the coffee made in machines that have plastic parts.

by Anonymousreply 31May 19, 2019 6:45 PM

Older DL HOMOS I remember in the 1970's my mother or my father had a stove percolator it was white with the flowers. Was that Corning or Farberware?

by Anonymousreply 32May 19, 2019 7:03 PM

Corning....

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 33May 19, 2019 7:06 PM

Yes that's the look. I remember theirs being taller and slimmer than this one.

by Anonymousreply 34May 19, 2019 7:07 PM

OP, go for it. I hate drip coffee and I refuse to drink it. And press coffee always tastes bitter to me.

I know my mom was a big tea drinker, and I can't remember what my dad drank (except for scotch). So I didn't start drinking coffee until I was in college. I was helping out on a friend's student film set and was tasked with making the coffee, which I'd never gone before. They had one of those gigantic urn percolators. That coffee was so fucking good, I started drinking it regularly.

We used to go to a diner near our dorm at NYU and the coffee there was so good. But then if I'd go to a friend's dorm apartment and they would make drip coffee, I'd be totally grossed out. It tasted terrible. I would get deli coffee at the bodegas on the corners in Manhattan and it would be sooooo good. When I finally decided to start making coffee for myself, I almost bought one of those big urns because I thought I wouldn't be able to replicate the taste. I settled on an electric perc pot and I've never looked back.

You can use any grind in the modern perc pots. It really doesn't matter. If you do go to a place that grinds it for you, they will do a little larger, coarser grind for a perc pot, but I buy ground bagged coffee all the time and I never have a problem.

I've never tried the stovetop perc pot, but I'd love to!

And for those asking time- I usually make half a pot. I drink one huge (28 oz) cup with some half and half and it takes maybe 10 minutes to finish, if that.

by Anonymousreply 35May 19, 2019 7:18 PM

My parents had that Corning percolator at r33!

And once my father discovered fresh-ground coffe and drip machines in the early 80s, the whole family never looked back.

There is NO WAY pre-ground coffee, made by any method -- perc, moka, press, drip, superautomatic espresso machine -- will or can ever taste as good as fresh-ground. Coffee loses 90% of its aroma and most of its flavor within an hour of grinding.

by Anonymousreply 36May 19, 2019 7:42 PM

IMO, percolators make the best tasting coffee - better than drip coffeemakers. But I've given up on electric ones. Over the years I ordered three different ones from Amazon. None of them lasted more than a year or two. So if you go that route, be sure to read reviews before you buy. I've also had bad luck with drip coffeemakers. Regardless of brand or price they always crap out before long too.

by Anonymousreply 37May 19, 2019 7:55 PM

Just FYI, R37 (and OP if he's still considering one). The last one I bought was from Amazon and was

Spectrum Farberware 8-Cup Percolator, Stainless Steel, FCP280

Apparently I bought it in January of 2007 (I just looked it up) and it's still going strong 12 1/2 years later. And they're still selling it.

by Anonymousreply 38May 19, 2019 8:01 PM

Mama on Mama's Family uses a percolator

by Anonymousreply 39May 19, 2019 8:37 PM

How about a siphon coffee maker, 0P?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 40May 19, 2019 10:49 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 41May 20, 2019 2:20 AM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 42May 20, 2019 2:59 AM

I have my mother's Cory glass percolator, use it almost every day. It is easier to control the temperature on a gas stove. A friend gave me a Nespresso to "bring me into this century", but I prefer to percolate.

by Anonymousreply 43May 20, 2019 3:38 AM

Users of percolators, do you add egg shells to your coffee? My late grandmother did and everyone loved her coffee.

by Anonymousreply 44May 20, 2019 4:12 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!