Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Talking European starling

I hate starlings, as they're invasive and a nuisance.

This video (the "talking" starts around 1:45) is highly disturbing to me. The stuff of nightmares!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 26May 21, 2019 11:36 PM

I did not know that Starlings could be taught to speak. I thought only birds in the Parrot and Crow(Corvid) family could learn to speak.

by Anonymousreply 1May 19, 2019 4:09 PM

Mynah birds can talk too r1

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2May 19, 2019 4:10 PM

What's disturbing about it op? You've never heard a bird talk? Are you not from this planet?

by Anonymousreply 3May 19, 2019 4:14 PM

I would play audio clips of Talky Tina to my starlings or my mynah birds.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4May 19, 2019 4:23 PM

I love this bird

by Anonymousreply 5May 19, 2019 4:47 PM

For starters, r3, I didn't know starlings could mimic so well. It's disconcerting.

by Anonymousreply 6May 19, 2019 6:36 PM

I like that video very interesting how they socialized the bird.

by Anonymousreply 7May 19, 2019 8:02 PM

Starlings and mynah birds are in the same family. Some Shakespearean followers decided in the 1800’s to bring birds from England that were in Shakespeare’s writings to the USA.. They let them go in Central Park. The only birds that established themselves were...English sparrows and Starlings. Both compete with our native birds but Starlings are by far the worst. There are millions and millions of them in the USA. Too many now to cull, but the govt. and farmers try to keep their numbers down.

by Anonymousreply 8May 19, 2019 8:47 PM

Yeah, it's weird to me because I like birds in general, and maybe I'd like a European starling if I were in Europe, but I really hate seeing them everywhere in Massachusetts. I try to remember it's not their fault they were introduced.

by Anonymousreply 9May 19, 2019 8:52 PM

I like starlings but I live in Europe. Their numbers are really dwindling here, which is a shame. It's an odd twist of fate then that they're thriving in North America where they don't belong.

Their mating plumage is beautiful. I had no idea they could learn to say human words!

by Anonymousreply 10May 19, 2019 8:58 PM

r10 I'll gladly send you a few million from the US!

by Anonymousreply 11May 19, 2019 9:02 PM

I've always wondered what would have happened if common species from the US (blue jays, American robins, cardinals) had been introduced to Europe. Maybe they were and didn't flourish. I don't know my transatlantic bird history.

by Anonymousreply 12May 19, 2019 9:06 PM

They can mimic humans but it's not like they can really say anything profound.

by Anonymousreply 13May 19, 2019 9:07 PM

W&W, r13.

by Anonymousreply 14May 19, 2019 9:26 PM

Introduced species wreak havoc in both directions. Raccoon are native to North America. They were introduced to Europe as residents in German zoos and fur farms, but apparently in the bombings in WWII many escaped. Now they have spread over most of the continent. The Germans call them Waschbaeren. (Wash bears).

by Anonymousreply 15May 19, 2019 9:39 PM

[quote] The Germans call them Waschbaeren. (Wash bears).

That's a cute name for a hideous animal.

by Anonymousreply 16May 19, 2019 9:40 PM

According to Wikipedia, American robins were unsuccessfully introduced to Great Britain

by Anonymousreply 17May 19, 2019 9:46 PM

Talking Raven

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18May 19, 2019 9:47 PM

I've always wanted to capture and raise a pet starling, but I heard they can be curious about your eyes and peck at them without warning.

by Anonymousreply 19May 19, 2019 9:54 PM

Conversation with a Mynah bird

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 20May 19, 2019 10:02 PM

R8, as part of the Victorian nature craze they introduced squirrels into city parks. Fucking bastards.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 21May 19, 2019 10:34 PM

The starling is growing on me

by Anonymousreply 22May 21, 2019 8:12 PM

Remember standing on the terrace of Vittoriano in Rome watching flocks of thousands of starlings whirling thru a blazing sunset. Unforgettable.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 23May 21, 2019 8:25 PM

Precious little citizen, OP

by Anonymousreply 24May 21, 2019 8:25 PM

A murmuration of starlings. Great expression for a beautiful sight.

by Anonymousreply 25May 21, 2019 9:24 PM

Yes, R25. You've reminded me of one of my favorite videos. Make sure to watch it all the way through.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 26May 21, 2019 11:36 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!