Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Is John Cheever very famous in America?

Is his daughter, Susan, also very well known and highly rated as a writer? She's written a lot of books, that's for sure.

I read a good little short story written by her (about her promiscuity, guess it runs in the family) and have been investigating them. It was odd to hear her in a video talking with her brother about their father's promiscuity and bisexuality, so openly and jokingly.

from WIKI

[quote]Cheever's marriage was complicated by his sexuality. Variously described as gay, homosexual, or bisexual, Cheever had relationships with both men and women, including a short relationship with composer Ned Rorem and an affair with actress Hope Lange. Cheever's longest lover was a student of his, Max Zimmer, who lived in the Cheever family home. Cheever's daughter, Susan, described her parents' marriage as "European", saying: "they were people who felt their feelings weren't necessarily a reason to shatter a family. They certainly hurt each other plenty but they didn't necessarily see that as a reason for divorce."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 42May 20, 2019 2:43 AM

I'm not sure he is still well-read, but, for a time, he was very well-known to those who read. I don't think he was ever as popular as, say, Rowling -- who is? -- but in the late 70's and early 80's, you would expect to see his books in the front of a bookstore on a table of the more popular books. Same with John Updike, another author who specialized in the social norms of the american suburban male. Updike, though, might have been a touch more famous because of his Rabbit stories.

by Anonymousreply 1May 15, 2019 2:47 PM

Cheever was once very famous -- mostly for his short stories, which are among the best of the last century. "The Enormous Radio" is one of the best shorts stories of all time. But his flame has faded over time, and now he's not very widely read although he could have a comeback any day -- writers often do, especially ones as good as he was. He also was a troubled bisexual who led a strange and depressing life.

Susan Cheever on the other hand is not well known and although she is a good writer, she might not have a career if not for her last name. Likewise for Ben, his son, a terrific guy married to one of the most evil, hideous, and repellent humans on this planet.

by Anonymousreply 2May 15, 2019 2:51 PM

He was certainly well known in our household, we especially appreciated his letters

Susan Ross

by Anonymousreply 3May 15, 2019 2:51 PM

[quote] Likewise for Ben, his son, a terrific guy married to one of the most evil, hideous, and repellent humans on this planet.

Strong words! What's so terrible about her?

by Anonymousreply 4May 15, 2019 2:55 PM

Weren’t all his stories about wealthy NY suburban alcoholics?

by Anonymousreply 5May 15, 2019 2:56 PM

[quote]Cheever was once very famous -- mostly for his short stories, which are among the best of the last century. "The Enormous Radio" is one of the best shorts stories of all time.

Thanks, I googled this and have found an "audio" version, which made me happy, but OMG - quel gayvoice! not John's but the guy they've chosen to read it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6May 15, 2019 3:23 PM

I've heard Meryl Streep do an audio recording of Cheever's "The Sorrows of Gin", and it is really good. She performs the story really, and her delivery of a character's breakdown at the end is funny and heartbreaking.

by Anonymousreply 7May 15, 2019 3:52 PM

John Cheever is remembered by those of us who appreciate fine writing. I don’t know about Susan’s reputation as a writer of fiction but her familiar memoir “Home Before Dark” is especially fine.

by Anonymousreply 8May 15, 2019 4:03 PM

When you have a Seinfeld episode named after you, you are famous.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9May 15, 2019 4:03 PM

Ben Cheever married the widely loathed Times reviewer Janet Maslin.

by Anonymousreply 10May 15, 2019 4:05 PM

Why is Janet Maslin hated?

by Anonymousreply 11May 15, 2019 9:18 PM

I read his stories when I was in high school but I really remember him from the Seinfeld episode.

by Anonymousreply 12May 15, 2019 9:20 PM

Cheever was on my required reading list as I prepared to come out. I remember his fine writing fondly. I never got Updike though.

by Anonymousreply 13May 16, 2019 3:18 AM

[quote]as I prepared to come out.

What?

by Anonymousreply 14May 16, 2019 4:42 AM

[quote]Why is Janet Maslin hated?

Yes, why?

by Anonymousreply 15May 16, 2019 4:43 AM

Updike's collected reviews and essays are wonderful. He had wide-ranging reading interests and I have discovered some gems through his reviews.

by Anonymousreply 16May 16, 2019 4:48 AM

R14 Falconer.

by Anonymousreply 17May 16, 2019 10:04 AM

His book Falconer, which takes place in a prison, is fantastic and contains a crazy-hot scene of inmates sneaking off into a secret grotto to jerk off and blow each other.

Cheever wrote quite a bit about his bisexuality. He was tortured by it, which, some speculate, contributed to his alcoholism.

Below is a cool article from a few years ago about the sale of his house.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18May 16, 2019 10:26 AM

Thanks R16. I've read and enjoyed a few of Updike's essays and would be interested in the Collected. He was also a prolific poet.

by Anonymousreply 19May 16, 2019 10:38 AM

Wasn't he the author who wrote about key parties?

by Anonymousreply 20May 16, 2019 10:44 AM

One of my favorite short stories is "The Swimmer" which became a movie with the handsome Burt Lancaster

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 21May 16, 2019 1:00 PM

Maslin is considered the bane of all serious writers -- she writes pleasant reviews for books whose authors are her friends, or book written by authors she wishes to meet. She pans anyone she feels isn't at her social level - ie: she's known at the Times for reviewing authors, not actual books. She is, in sum, an egregious social climber, cruel to those she's climbed over, cloyingly sweet to those she wishes to climb up to.

And that's the nicest paragraph anyone's ever written about her.

by Anonymousreply 22May 16, 2019 1:11 PM

She doesn't [italic]sound[/italic] like the worst person in the world.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 23May 16, 2019 1:29 PM

I too hated Gummo and loved Eyes Wide Shut

by Anonymousreply 24May 16, 2019 1:36 PM

I don't know Gummo, and I was as neutral as can be about Eyes Wide Shut. I saw it once and remember nothing about it. I could have seen it again in the past year, but wasn't interested.

by Anonymousreply 25May 16, 2019 1:38 PM

[quote]Wasn't he the author who wrote about key parties?

I read most of Cheever's short stories and some of Updikes's, many years ago and have forgotten specific but they both wrote a lot about adultery and lust among upper middle class WASPs. I don't recall specific cases of key parties, but certainly could have been.

The most memorable "key party" in literature to me was in Moody's "The Ice Storm" brought to the screen with Sigourney Weave and Kevin Kline, et. al.

by Anonymousreply 26May 16, 2019 1:47 PM

I remenber reading some dismal book which had a rave review from Janet Maslin from the NYT. I never read a review from her again, it was that bad (some domestic thriller that made Gone Girl look like , well, John Cheever).

by Anonymousreply 27May 16, 2019 2:23 PM

[quote]One of my favorite short stories is "The Swimmer" which became a movie with the handsome Burt Lancaster

The movie sounds brilliant.

Any idea how it compares to the short story?

by Anonymousreply 28May 16, 2019 2:35 PM

R22 in the world of Ann Coulter, Megan McCain and other repug women stirring racism, homophobia and misogyny this seems very minor.

by Anonymousreply 29May 16, 2019 2:47 PM

Was he a WASP?

by Anonymousreply 30May 16, 2019 8:27 PM

[quote]

One of my favorite short stories is "The Swimmer" which became a movie with the handsome Burt Lancaster

The movie sounds brilliant.

Any idea how it compares to the short story? —Anonymous

It's been decades since I read the story and saw the movie, but I think it followed the story, as well as it could, given that the movie is 95 minutes and the short story was only 12 pages.

I think the movie's reputation has grown in recent years. The surreal nature of the film was difficult to follow and confused original viewers.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 31May 17, 2019 8:51 PM

Wasn't Joan Rivers in The Swimmer?

by Anonymousreply 32May 17, 2019 9:28 PM

r32 Yes, she is.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 33May 17, 2019 9:44 PM

Looks like she could act. Wonder why she didn't do more acting.

by Anonymousreply 34May 17, 2019 10:00 PM

I only read the gay stuff: the prison and swimmer tales.

Who cares about alcoholic straight people stories?

by Anonymousreply 35May 17, 2019 10:24 PM

R18 I read Falconer while I was serving time in prison and thought it was a very interesting and realistic book. It helped me get through those tough times.

by Anonymousreply 36May 17, 2019 11:08 PM

R36 -- Oh...I hope I haven't killed this thread....like I have so many others.

by Anonymousreply 37May 18, 2019 4:31 AM

How do you kill threads, r37? By talking about having been in prison?

by Anonymousreply 38May 18, 2019 6:47 AM

From his last novel, "Oh What A Paradise It Seems" liked cock

Lemuel Sears, a twice-widowed computer-industry executive, spies beautiful real-estate woman Renee in a Manhattan bank, is swamped with reborn Eros ("She could have been the winsome girl on the oleomargarine package or the Oriental dancer on his father's cigar box who used to stir his little prick when he was about nine"), and is soon her insatiable lover; however, when Renee--an elusive sort dedicated to New School-style self-improvement--proves to be cruelly fickle, Sears promptly finds himself in a low-key, tender affair with. . . Renee's middle-aged doorman. (His "next stop, of course, was a psychiatrist.") I

by Anonymousreply 39May 20, 2019 2:00 AM

I would say he is still very famous, but only among people who are interested in literature; he doesn't have the "crossover" fame of Updike (whom he's often put alongside with as the epitome of the classic New Yorker short story), where you're a household name even with those who aren't that big on literature.

(I first came across him because there's an excerpt of his novel "Falconer" in David Leavitt's Penguin anthology of gay short fiction, which I bought when I was 14.)

by Anonymousreply 40May 20, 2019 2:11 AM

[quote]Oh...I hope I haven't killed this thread

It's not exactly vivacious.

by Anonymousreply 41May 20, 2019 2:38 AM

literature is a dying art anyway

by Anonymousreply 42May 20, 2019 2:43 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!