Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

'Black Mirror' Season 5

Featuring Andrew Scott, Miley Cyrus, Anthony Mackie, Pom Klementieff, Topher Grace, and others.

Returns June 5 on Netflix.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 148November 23, 2019 10:56 AM

Season 4 thread.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1May 15, 2019 11:07 AM

Ooh, only 3 new episodes, huh? Wonder how long they'll be. As always they've got a great cast. Always down for new Black Mirror.

by Anonymousreply 2May 15, 2019 11:18 AM

I guess it was four if you count the pick a scene one Maybe they will almost be movie length.

by Anonymousreply 3May 15, 2019 11:22 AM

Andrew scott AND topher grace. Mmm.

by Anonymousreply 4May 15, 2019 11:30 AM

All three episodes out today!

by Anonymousreply 5June 5, 2019 10:40 AM

Oh shit!

by Anonymousreply 6June 5, 2019 10:42 AM

Black Mirror set the standard for syfy shows pretty high. I'm exited about the new season. And totally agree with r4.

by Anonymousreply 7June 5, 2019 10:51 AM

First episode was excellent! Don't want to spoil anything for those who haven't gotten around to it, but it explored sexuality, relationships, compromise, sacrifice, and technological addiction to an extent. Great performances all around, especially from Nikki Beharie who played the wife. Strong start to the season!

by Anonymousreply 8June 5, 2019 11:46 AM

Just saw the second one - it was dreadful.

by Anonymousreply 9June 5, 2019 11:52 AM

Are all three available now?

How about Tales of the City?

by Anonymousreply 10June 5, 2019 11:56 AM

Takes of the City is out on Friday

by Anonymousreply 11June 5, 2019 12:00 PM

Thank you, r11. I want to start my next Netflix subscription on that day, then.

by Anonymousreply 12June 5, 2019 12:02 PM

Unless his pecker is white, that was a blatant cock sock on Mackie. Disappointing.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13June 5, 2019 12:05 PM

Mackie and Abdul-Mateen II were lovely to watch. There was a lot of thick thigh action.

As for the second episode... ehh, don't know if it was dreadful, but the conceit of app addiction was underwhelming considering how dramatic the events were. I was hoping it'd all hinge on something more substantial, especially considering the themes of grief and suicide that underpinned the story.

Topher Grace was hot.

by Anonymousreply 14June 5, 2019 1:18 PM

r8 Totally agree. What a wonderful meditation on romantic relationships, commitment, (emotional) cheating, and digital identities that was. On a somewhat sadder note, it took five seasons to feature male homosexuality and this is the closest we got to it.

I can't get over how gorgeous Ludi Lin looked in this episode. That bro DLer who is super into Asians and abs is going to flood his jockstrap watching this.

Does anyone know what city that in the closing shot was?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 15June 5, 2019 1:20 PM

Yeah, Ludi had a tight bod. It was hot watching him pump away at Mantis. And honestly I was wondering where the episode took place as well! I think the location was intentionally obfuscated.

by Anonymousreply 16June 5, 2019 1:33 PM

Ludi's back looked CRAZY in that one shot where he went to sit down. Like a fucking boulder.

Was shocked to see Pom Klementieff in the credits - had no idea that was her, although she did look awfully familiar.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17June 5, 2019 1:40 PM

Closing shot. It does look like a digital composite, to give the feel of some futuristic megalopolis. Or it might be a real city somewhere in China, I'm sure we'll know soon enough.

The American locations were nice as well. This show always looks like a million bucks.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18June 5, 2019 1:45 PM

I think it was a composite like what they did in the film Her. A mixture of different cities. I didn't realize it was Pom initially. I knew she was familiar, but it wasn't until their second jaunt into the virtual world that her voice clicked. I enjoyed her performance.

by Anonymousreply 19June 5, 2019 2:17 PM

How do we feel about the Miley episode. I liked it !

On the 2nd one I liked the reactions to the news to whatever happened. How numb we are.

by Anonymousreply 20June 5, 2019 3:32 PM

I enjoyed the second episode, especially the part about almost everyone being addicted to the apps except for the Silicon Valley douchebro who looks just like Jack Dorsey and Jesus Christ rolled into one. These are our new gods.

Also liked how much more informed the social media company was about the lead, while the old methods of the FBI and the British police were portrayed as dated.

by Anonymousreply 21June 5, 2019 3:39 PM

They're apparently releasing the episodes in different order in different markets. A social experiment, no doubt. Or they thought the gay stuff would be less appealing as a season opener in some countries.

by Anonymousreply 22June 5, 2019 3:48 PM

Is Topher doing any gay stuff?

by Anonymousreply 23June 5, 2019 6:18 PM

No, he's in the other episode.

by Anonymousreply 24June 5, 2019 6:29 PM

Topher is only in one episode? Is this not a series?

by Anonymousreply 25June 5, 2019 8:23 PM

It's an anthology series - the same actors only appear in one episode.

by Anonymousreply 26June 5, 2019 8:30 PM

Ahhh. Thank you, r26. Does Topher take his shirt or pants off?

by Anonymousreply 27June 5, 2019 8:33 PM

r27 Yes, he's shirtless for most of it! And bearded.

by Anonymousreply 28June 5, 2019 8:35 PM

I always liked Eric. I wanted to put something besides my foot up his ass.

by Anonymousreply 29June 5, 2019 9:17 PM

Overall an okay season. I thought the first episode was the best. The second and third were alright.

by Anonymousreply 30June 5, 2019 11:30 PM

Not surprised people are saying the first episode was the best, it's been that way most of the seasons. Including "Nosedive," the first episode of season 3. My favorite episode, it totally blew me away. The production values were incredible for a tv show, it looked more like a movie.

by Anonymousreply 31June 5, 2019 11:35 PM

I'd say the videogame one is the best but I enjoyed the Miley one the most. A comment I saw nailed it when they said it's like an R-rated Disney princess movie. That's exactly what it was. Just so much fun.

by Anonymousreply 32June 5, 2019 11:41 PM

The users on Reddit are pretty livid with the season. They say Brooker's gone soft and the show's been Americanized. I see where they're coming from, but I'm not as negative as they are. I am, however, used to a certain amount of existential dread when it comes to this show, and I felt like that was missing this season. It was close to getting there with "Smithereens", but I found that episode to be rather... simplistic in its message considering how dramatic it was.

I think if we had two more episodes to balance out the lighter tone of the season it'd feel more satisfactory. I just wanted to feel that sinking feeling in my stomach. Even Bandersnatch got me there.

by Anonymousreply 33June 6, 2019 12:18 AM

Are all the episodes of Black Mirror scary and depressing?

by Anonymousreply 34June 6, 2019 12:45 AM

r34 Not at all. Just one of the three this season was kinda depressing, I think.

by Anonymousreply 35June 6, 2019 12:49 AM

The negotiator in the second episode is beautiful.

by Anonymousreply 36June 6, 2019 8:31 AM

He was attractive! Let me try to find him.

by Anonymousreply 37June 6, 2019 8:37 AM

Daniel Ings.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 38June 6, 2019 8:39 AM

Ah yes. He played Dan in Sex Education. Knew I'd seen him somewhere.

by Anonymousreply 39June 6, 2019 8:43 AM

The Black Mirror rip-off Weird City opened with a gay themed episode starring Dylan O'Brien (Teen Wolf, Maze Runner) and Ed O'Neil (Married with Children, Modern Family). And people consider it the best one of the run.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 40June 6, 2019 9:26 AM

The new gay episode was filmed entirely in Sao Paulo, Brazil.

Many of the locations are easily identifiable by anyone who lives here.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 41June 6, 2019 9:35 AM

The prior seasons mostly took place in the same shared universe and mostly even the same UK, Subtle Easter egg references to people or same universe incidents confirm. Uncertain if that's carried through with the American episodes.

by Anonymousreply 42June 6, 2019 9:51 AM

The Miley Cyrus episode had her on the cover of SugarApe, the magazine from Nathan Barley.

by Anonymousreply 43June 6, 2019 9:58 AM

Yes the US version does self-reference.

by Anonymousreply 44June 6, 2019 10:23 AM

[quote]Uncertain if that's carried through with the American episodes.

It absolutely is. There are tons of easter eggs throughout the series. The episode "Black Museum" is quite obvious about the entire series existing in the same universe.

by Anonymousreply 45June 6, 2019 10:23 AM

r41 Interesting. I knew something was off. It does look kinda American at night, except for the transmission lines. So the screenshot I posted at r18 is São Paulo as well, and wasn't digitally altered in any way?

I want more of that. I know it must be expensive as hell to film in unusual locations but it's such a breath of fresh air to see that on the screen.

by Anonymousreply 46June 6, 2019 11:06 AM

If that was the real Sao Paolo, it really does look like a dystopian hell.

by Anonymousreply 47June 6, 2019 11:51 AM

Yeah, they're not that big on green spaces, are they? Or maybe it's because it's shot from up high and we can't see the parks.

by Anonymousreply 48June 6, 2019 11:56 AM

First episode was good, second was meh, third was terrible.

by Anonymousreply 49June 6, 2019 5:26 PM

R40, dear when you get us excited about a TV show no one has heard of you must tell us where you stream.

Am I the only upset about E1 being called gay ?

by Anonymousreply 50June 6, 2019 5:33 PM

r50 No, I find it demeaning that we've waited five seasons for gay male characters (still waiting, actually) and now this episode is being called the gay one.

by Anonymousreply 51June 6, 2019 5:36 PM

Sao Paulo is the epitome of Concrete Jungle.

by Anonymousreply 52June 6, 2019 5:41 PM

If it was virtual sex between a man and man it would be gay. I’m beginning to think the Black Mirror people aren’t as smart as we think they are.

by Anonymousreply 53June 6, 2019 5:42 PM

I think it's a statement about the futility of assigning a gender to sexual attraction.

by Anonymousreply 54June 6, 2019 5:44 PM

I mean, that's a pretty bold statement. I took it to mean that the other guy is actually trans and the main guy just fell for this woman. Wouldn't they have the same chemistry in real life if gender was irrelevant?

by Anonymousreply 55June 6, 2019 5:51 PM

I would let either of them do me.

by Anonymousreply 56June 6, 2019 5:57 PM

Abdul-Mateen wasn't really doing it for me. Until I googled him and learned he's also an architect, that is. Brains get me hard.

by Anonymousreply 57June 6, 2019 6:03 PM

[quote] If it was virtual sex between a man and man it would be gay. I’m beginning to think the Black Mirror people aren’t as smart as we think they are.

BM's critical acclaimed San Junipero had women meet, date, and make out in a virtual world. That is their brand.

by Anonymousreply 58June 6, 2019 6:07 PM

I want Black Mirror in me.

by Anonymousreply 59June 6, 2019 6:13 PM

r58 Yes, but we're bitching about the fact that (in the eyes of the showrunner) the gay male version of San Junipero needed some kind of a twist to be palatable and sellable to the general audience.

by Anonymousreply 60June 6, 2019 6:19 PM

And the Oscar goes to ...........

La La Land

Faye was right

by Anonymousreply 61June 6, 2019 7:35 PM

In other words r50 satisfy the homophobes.

by Anonymousreply 62June 6, 2019 7:36 PM

r60, but is it really that much of a big twist when the show is about the dark side of digital technology? I mean, I find the twist in Hang The DJ rather clever to be honest.

by Anonymousreply 63June 6, 2019 7:38 PM

r63 I meant a conceit rather than a twist. I'm just annoyed by the fact that this sex thing between two guys (a first in Black Mirror) can only work if there's some kind of a distance involved. That just doesn't look that great to me, sorry. Should've saved it for another straight episode.

It reminds me of that after school special episode of TNG that everyone keeps mentioning as the first gay Trek episode when it was actually more about trans folk. Don't try to kill two birds with one stone like that; it's not the '90s anymore.

by Anonymousreply 64June 6, 2019 7:46 PM

R49 I feel exactly the same way. The Miley one had the potential to be the best but it just went off the rails during the second half. The second one had a lame twist at the end, was expecting something more substantial. The first episode was one of the best episodes of Black Mirror.

by Anonymousreply 65June 8, 2019 9:13 AM

Am I the only one who hated the Miley episode? No one in it could act except the dark haired sister. Horrible.

by Anonymousreply 66June 8, 2019 9:23 AM

R66 Nope, thought it was a train wreck, but I don't think it's Miley's fault.

by Anonymousreply 67June 8, 2019 9:25 AM

It wasn't a train wreck... it was just cheesy. The problem with the second and third episode is that the social commentary wasn't thought provoking in any way. There's nothing novel about exploring the dangers of texting and driving or the exploitation of the music industry. That said, the visual effects on the Ashley Too were really good, though the robot reminded me of Eve.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 68June 8, 2019 9:47 AM

Ashley's (Miley Cyrus) mansion was also used in the Amazon series Origin (the one about Natalie Tena's character's back story where the mansion belonged to a father and his daughter she was supposed to protect).

by Anonymousreply 69June 8, 2019 11:26 AM

Love all three episodes in their own way. Andrew Scott is amazing the second episode. Great doing the comedy and the drama bits. Love the third, because it has a funny Disney movie vibe and foul mouthed Ashley Too.

But the best line was from the first one:

You know, I even fucked Thundra, the Polar Bear! I fucked the Polar Bear!

by Anonymousreply 70June 8, 2019 12:39 PM

[quote] I think it's a statement about the futility of assigning a gender to sexual attraction.

Not quite. They tried to make it a physical thing in the real world as dudes and couldn't do it. Being opposite genders in the virtual world is what made their physical attraction possible.

by Anonymousreply 71June 8, 2019 1:17 PM

“I fucked a polar bear, and I still can’t get you out of my mind.”

by Anonymousreply 72June 8, 2019 1:28 PM

Who is the Asian dude in episode 1?

by Anonymousreply 73June 8, 2019 1:29 PM

The first episode is one of my favorite of all seasons and episodes. It really is thought-provoking. I can’t stop thinking about it.

by Anonymousreply 74June 8, 2019 1:46 PM

r73 Ludi Lin. His Insta is at r15.

by Anonymousreply 75June 8, 2019 2:00 PM

For me, Black Mirror is one of the few thought-provoking shows. I would even daresay it's intellectual. When I want bubblegum I won't watch it.

by Anonymousreply 76June 8, 2019 2:36 PM

I love this show but I want MORE. As in, more episodes in each season. And I hate that Bandersnatch probably ate up two or three additional episodes.

Also, São Paulo has got me all hot and bothered and now I want an episode next season to be shot in fucking Montevideo. And I'd like to see people who live there take a part in it. A bit like a TV version of Roma, if you will.

by Anonymousreply 77June 8, 2019 3:01 PM

They seem disappointed that their real Life kiss was sparksless.

by Anonymousreply 78June 8, 2019 5:08 PM

R78 I thought the best friend was either gay or trans for sure. Why else include a scene of him playfully humping his friend after beating him in the game?

by Anonymousreply 79June 8, 2019 5:43 PM

He did seem to enjoy sex with women up to that point so he might be bi and/or trans. Or just comfortable in both genders.

I'm of two minds about using humping to denote non-hetero orientation as that's genuinely how some straight bros mess about and there's zero sexual attraction involved. You can find similar playful behaviour in dogs and other species as well.

by Anonymousreply 80June 8, 2019 5:50 PM

What I struggle with is If the friends didn't feel a spark in real life why didn't Karl just get someone else to be the Lance to his Roxette?

On one hand it was presented like they had a fetish where they could only have sex with each other when they are their game avatars (meaning the avatars were more impoartant than the person behind it), but neither of them could just move on and find someone else to satisfy that new fetish. I mean Danny could've introduced his wife, Theo, to the game and spice up their stagnant sex life.

by Anonymousreply 81June 8, 2019 5:52 PM

Well, Karl only felt a sexual or romantic spark with Anthony through the video game. He wasn’t attracted to real world Anthony, not pure Anthony

by Anonymousreply 82June 8, 2019 5:55 PM

Would a dude playing a female feel sexual pleasure via his penis?

by Anonymousreply 83June 8, 2019 5:57 PM

R83 The chip was attached to the brain, so I'd go with yes. Also it's not a documentary.

by Anonymousreply 84June 8, 2019 5:58 PM

The game Striking Vipers was their escape of their present life (Danny being the boring husband and father) and Karl having to go through all kind of physical stress and torture to get laid by younger women and feel young and cool himself. By playing the game they felt "young" again and the sex was just their "hold me, I'm scared!" coping mechanism since they felt stuck and lost in real life.

by Anonymousreply 85June 8, 2019 6:05 PM

Interesting that he said “you” when he said “but I can’t stop thinking about you.” He didn’t say he couldn’t stop thinking about the character.

by Anonymousreply 86June 8, 2019 6:08 PM

While Karl may not be real world attracted to Danny, he is attracted to the male character played my Ludi Lin. He is aroused and smitten by Ludi Lin. I’m not trying to label him, but he is certainly attracted to Lin.

by Anonymousreply 87June 8, 2019 6:09 PM

I live next to this park in São Paulo. The Striking Vipers scenes in the restaurant with floor to ceiling windows was filmed in the Tivoli Hotel in the upper center of this photo.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 88June 8, 2019 6:13 PM

It’s a phenomenal episode

by Anonymousreply 89June 8, 2019 6:14 PM

I felt there was suggestion it was about keeping gay sex on the downlow. It was their dirty little secret until the wife realised there was nothing she could do about it so allowed him to do it under her terms.

They weren't attracted to each other 'in real life' but when it became naughty and forbidden they couldn't keep their hands off each other.

by Anonymousreply 90June 8, 2019 6:17 PM

[quote] They weren't attracted to each other 'in real life' but when it became naughty and forbidden they couldn't keep their hands off each other.

But at the end Danny and Theor came up with the compromise that at least once a year both had a free day pass. And Karl was happy with that. Even with the forbidden fruit component gone.

They made an arragement and it looks like it worked out for them in the end.

by Anonymousreply 91June 8, 2019 6:20 PM

Nobody can have just one a year.

by Anonymousreply 92June 8, 2019 6:32 PM

Danny was disrespectful to bring up their fling with the wife in the house

by Anonymousreply 93June 8, 2019 6:49 PM

I meant Karl

by Anonymousreply 94June 8, 2019 6:50 PM

Striking Vipers was such a sexy episode, with humour and sadness also thrown in. Suitably bittersweet. I'd fuck all of the adult characters. Yes, even the women.

by Anonymousreply 95June 8, 2019 10:42 PM

The wife was an exceptional actress. I thought she did the best job in that episode. I'd love to see more of her in the future.

by Anonymousreply 96June 8, 2019 10:49 PM

I thought the ending was a bit weird. They compromised on one night a year for him to virtually hook up with a video game character controlled by his mate and she hits the town to hook up with real life hot guys.

There's a big discrepancy in that compromise. I can see why the wife didn't want him fixated on it night after night, like any addiction that ruins relationships but hooking up with real men risks bringing STDs home, risk of pregnancy, risk of falling for one of the guys and leaving her husband.

It was a bit too much of a neat, tied with bow ending that spoiled the earlier premise. I would have preferred the two guys to realise they wanted to be together than the ending we got.

by Anonymousreply 97June 8, 2019 10:55 PM

Of course you would, r97.

by Anonymousreply 98June 8, 2019 10:56 PM

I thought the ending was deceptively neat in that everything you mentioned would undoubtedly unravel the agreement. That's what made it feel like Black Mirror... that compromise wasn't sustainable in the long term, but I didn't need the story to explore that. The implication is there.

by Anonymousreply 99June 8, 2019 10:58 PM

Good point R99

by Anonymousreply 100June 8, 2019 10:59 PM

r96 Nicole Beharie is great! She had insane chemistry with Tom Mison on Sleepy Hollow and the show went to shit after she left.

by Anonymousreply 101June 8, 2019 11:05 PM

I Wanna see more of the wife

by Anonymousreply 102June 8, 2019 11:20 PM

Sleepy Hollow! That's where I know her from. I never watched the show but I could see here face and voice somewhere, just couldn't place it.

I agree with above the ending was too happily ever after. They had issues even before Fighting Vipers came along, so it was weird they just decided to ignore it. It was like those click-bait articles we joke about "My husband has a VR porn addiction. Here's why I'm okay with that." I also agree it wasn't gay in my opinion. You may have a commentary on trans, but I think him talking about other experiences it is more about addiction. Not really that he loved his friend, only in Virtual Reality, rather he found the right drug, a new chemical to keep his high. I also read comments elsewhere, some people believe it's about race since both men fetishize themselves as Asians. Overall, I think the writers just wanted to make a new twist on the "Human falls in love with a robot" stories.

I did like the second episodes commentary on how much power social media companies have. They really do have access to information about anyone at their fingertips. For me it was weird that they humanized the Silicon Valley people, in real life I predict they would do nothing. Make it into an add campaign about how they don't negotiate with terrorists. I didn't like the cliffhanger ending, though. It was a bit eye-rolling they didn't just say what happened. Like they wanted to leave with you with something more thought provoking even after his confession. Too me, it was trying a bit too hard. I also don't think the hostage would have cared if the guy killed himself. I know they wanted to show a moment of empathy but in a high adrenaline situation your fight or flight response would take over before anything.

The last episode felt like they ran out of time. Like they wanted it to be a story with overlapping characters but they were like "O shit only 30 minutes left!" So they rushed to the finish line. That's why all the characters are so underdeveloped and her Aunt is just evil, like there's no nuance to her relationship with her niece.

by Anonymousreply 103June 9, 2019 12:21 AM

r103 Posts like yours make me wish we had a follow option around this place so I could read your thoughts on other shows as well.

by Anonymousreply 104June 9, 2019 12:37 AM

Even though I didn't like the Miley Cyrus episode, the ending does work in the context of Black Mirror not always giving you what you expect. In this case, it happens to be a very cartoony Disney teen caper movie ending with an actual former Disney star.

by Anonymousreply 105June 9, 2019 8:54 PM

The first one would have been better if the lead had be written or performed to be at all likable in any way whatsoever. I didn't believe for a second that the wife would have settled for this chilly, remote, humorless, plain and now frigid guy. It strained credulity to even believe that the best friend would have ever been his friend, even in college, much less that they would have kept up the friendship long enough to even find out that they were sexual dynamite together. Bad casting.

by Anonymousreply 106June 9, 2019 9:00 PM

R14 I thought it was just me! When he stood up all I wanted to do was face dive his crotch in those board shorts. I wouldn't care what he smelled like either. Even with an auburn manbun , I woulda devoured and worshiped Topher's cock :).

He was such a hot nerd! Mark Zuckerberg could never in 10,000,000 years !!! be that fuckable .

by Anonymousreply 107June 9, 2019 9:16 PM

It's interesting that these are being aired in different orders for different people. It's a bit confusing to know what people mean when they say "I loved the 1st epidosde." Here's my take (and the order I got them in)

1. Miley Cyrus - I thought this one was weak for Black Mirror. I was wondering if they deliberately made it somewhat campy, actually... allowing the script to be self-aware by now in the 5th season. It was very Hannah Montana meets Black Mirror. There are so many examples of this. E.g., When the sister just plugs the robot into the computer and releases its full brain. A little too easy, maybe? Miley's acting was also very amateur and distracting. The woman who raised her was similarly very much a cliche momager without much motivation other than "I sacrificed a lot to raise you." Ok - well, why can't you calm down - looks like she already made you millions. And the psycho doctors with the ridiculous syringe (that of course got stuck into his own back) and security guard named "Bear"? It just seemed like a camp fest...which is fine. But was that their goal? The abuse of someone's consciousness (I think that was the core of the episode) was not really well-explored here. It has been explored in other BM episodes, so maybe they decided to go for Disney drama here.

2. 2 guys fuck in virtual reality - I didn't think this is much of a "gay episode" since it was a guy fucking a female avatar. The man with the female avatar, at best, was someone who was a bisexual bottom... or perhaps even trans. Or, maybe he was some other thing we haven't discovered yet since we don't have that technology. I thought the story was pretty interesting though it felt like it went on for too long. There wasn't much to explain why this happened... or maybe I missed it. I'm not sure I could really buy the "I tried fucking everyone else online but only your dick really got me off" thing. I guess they needed it for the takeaway of "our brotherly love bond is what made your dick so special" or whatever. The bottom seemed like a sex addict - how he was pushing for it constantly (Jack Twist? Jack Nasty!). The more I thought about it, I guess it was kinda "gay" because they had an emotional bond , albeit in different bodies. It was a cool idea. Long episode for one idea, though. Also, I don't see why he couldn't tell her he was fucking someone in virtual reality when they hadn't fucked in 3 weeks. Would a woman really care? Any woman who gets upset that their partner jerks off to porn is living in 1950 & the same is probably going to happen when VR gets better. So, that scene just annoyed me.

3. Smithereen - I really liked this one because it had a ticking clock & more suspense than the other two which seemed to drag more. I love Andrew Scott. He was great in this. What I really loved about this (and nobody really commented on it) was the absolute insistence of the staff not allowing the CEO to talk to Andrew ....and the fact that was all he wanted. He went through this whole thing just to have a 10 minute phone conversation. I wasn't surprised that they played the angle that Smithereen knew more than the FBI. I've seen that already in other shows where CIA agents joke that FB started with them altogether ("they did our job for us"). But all this angst and fighting over letting someone have a phone call? I think it's just a great story-line because it reflects so many c-level people and their minions who try to protect them from everything and freak the fuck out when anything isn't going perfectly. (I don't think Black Mirror is here to comment on Corporate America, but maybe they did intend this to get message through) The Andrew Scott character didn't know what to do with his grief...which turned to anger (often does) and he had it laser focused on that company and its CEO. He never wanted money, which was obvious all along. The COO actress was perfect. All the cunts in that room were exactly the way they are in real life. So, this one was my favorite of the 3 this season.

by Anonymousreply 108June 10, 2019 3:29 AM

What fresh hell is that R40 ??? Beautiful Dylan paired with a grandpa, and the kissing! The Kissing !!!!

by Anonymousreply 109June 10, 2019 3:56 AM

r108, most women would totally care and feel it was a betrayal.

by Anonymousreply 110June 10, 2019 3:59 AM

The agreement is bound to dissolve since one of the guys is clearly in loved with the other. The game provides the an outlet to what clearly is forbidden in their real lives. Eventually, the guys will develop more attachment as they years pass by.

by Anonymousreply 111June 10, 2019 4:04 AM

My question is, do they even see each other in person anymore? Or is their relationship solely virtual? Probably, huh, as he wasn't at the birthday party?

by Anonymousreply 112June 10, 2019 4:09 AM

r112, would you want to spend any time with the married one in person? He's such a drag.

by Anonymousreply 113June 10, 2019 4:11 AM

I think the only thing that was missing this season was a really nice, horror one. We've got relationship melodrama, suspense (with a bit of a twist thrown in), and high tech comedy.

by Anonymousreply 114June 10, 2019 7:52 AM

3 episodes really didn't do it for me- they really needed 5. None of these had the impact that the previous seasons did- as the poster mentioned above, even, "Bandersnatch" had that moment of dread when the actual show becomes "self aware". I had to stop watching for a day because I was so creeped out.

Ep 1 was the best, but the ending was too American.

by Anonymousreply 115June 10, 2019 8:08 AM

I really liked the third one with the pop star.

by Anonymousreply 116June 10, 2019 8:33 AM

Call me crazy, but I would totally buy that foul mouthed Ashley Too version. And I am not even a Miley Cyrus fan.

by Anonymousreply 117June 10, 2019 8:38 AM

Same here r117.

by Anonymousreply 118June 10, 2019 8:44 AM

R110 - porn or virtual reality? What’s the betrayal? How are they different? Would it be ok if he fucked a computer controlled avatar?

by Anonymousreply 119June 10, 2019 1:44 PM

It does feel a little less bleak than the other anthologies. The Miley ep was down right sugar coated despite the dark coma plot. Striking Vipers was probably the best with a commentary on what is gay and what is straight as well as what people will do to maintain a marriage. There is a point in the show (not to spoil it) where one of the three characters has a realization. You can see it in their eyes - such good acting.

by Anonymousreply 120June 10, 2019 1:58 PM

since r108 laid it all out - Striking VIpers - it is so much more than what you say. You can see Anthony is bored in his life. A "this is it" moment. Despite the virtual sex story - when the two men come together to see if they are "gay" they decide to kiss. When the friend pulls away from Mackey and says "nothing" you can see that it is not nothing to Mackey and he realizes he is gay.

by Anonymousreply 121June 10, 2019 2:04 PM

I thought her aunt extracting the music from Miley's comatose brain was just about the most horrific thing I've ever seen on this show. And the scene of her changing the hard rock (?) music into something positive via digital manipulation was outright wicked.

by Anonymousreply 122June 10, 2019 2:09 PM

Why the 2 dudes didn’t have a hardon while cybersexing? Not realistic.

by Anonymousreply 123June 10, 2019 2:15 PM

I doubt they could have shown that, but I definitely thought about them sporting boners. They'd've cum in their pants as well.

by Anonymousreply 124June 10, 2019 2:17 PM

I assumed the sex was in their brains like all the other physical activities during the game.

by Anonymousreply 125June 10, 2019 5:07 PM

I thought so too - like they had an orgasm in their head - but they didn't need their dick or a boner for it. The VR just gave them the sensations and the orgasm somehow.

by Anonymousreply 126June 10, 2019 5:46 PM

They did have a hard-on. When Mackey went to sleep once immediately after, his wife asked him about his erection.

by Anonymousreply 127June 10, 2019 6:26 PM

Eric Forman had a boner?

by Anonymousreply 128June 10, 2019 6:31 PM

R127 is right. He had a boner when he went to bed. And no, Eric Forman was in "Smithereens" not "Striking Vipers".

by Anonymousreply 129June 11, 2019 12:02 AM

I really liked the ending of the 'Smithereens' episode with the montage to Can't Take My Eyes Off You.

by Anonymousreply 130June 11, 2019 12:04 AM

So who got shot in the 'Smithereens' episode?

by Anonymousreply 131June 11, 2019 12:42 AM

Striking Vipers = A+++

Smithereens = B

Ashley Too = meh

by Anonymousreply 132June 11, 2019 12:45 AM

Regarding Striking Vipers. I think some have missed the part that Stiking Vipers was supposed to be a fighting game and absolutely everything was limited to play out in the player's minds. Otherwise the player would have suffered actual physical bruises, cuts, and broken bones, etc. The same goes for the sex within the game. The boner, or boners, were a result of remembering what happened while playing the game.

by Anonymousreply 133June 11, 2019 4:51 AM

Sorry, was limited to play out in the players' minds.

by Anonymousreply 134June 11, 2019 4:53 AM

Ashley Too had some great, and so called thought provoking, moments.

- Ashley Too pointing out that the sister only listens to music her mother liked (an A.I. being able to come up with this conclusion after a few questions).

- Ashley Too literally pulling the plug to end the real Ashley's life, because that's what she would've wanted.

- the already mentioned scene of Ashley's aunt editing Ashley's creative thoughts into something more sellable.

by Anonymousreply 135June 11, 2019 4:59 AM

[quote] So who got shot in the 'Smithereens' episode?

I thought it was rather telling that Billy Bauer (Topher Grace) went immediately back to meditating. Didn't really care for either of them.

But then Chris didn't care for Billy and his own problems either and cut him off when Billy started to ramble about his problems.

by Anonymousreply 136June 11, 2019 6:25 AM

If you watch season 1 and then compare it to season 5 you can really see how they have dumbed it down. Disappointing.

by Anonymousreply 137June 11, 2019 11:19 AM

In season 1 it was still a UK production. At season 5 it was produced by UK and US. Draw your own conclusion.

by Anonymousreply 138June 11, 2019 6:28 PM

I thought they handled the co-production well when they initially moved to Netflix. Some of their best episodes come from this era (Nosedive, USS Callister, San Junipero, Shut Up and Dance) and the first two seasons definitely had weaker episodes (The Waldo Moment). It's just that their episodes had to be stronger because there were fewer of them. That's changed now though. The Netflix seasons could get away with weaker episodes because you at least had one or two, or even three spellbinding ones to make up for it. Season 5's a different story because the weaker episodes outweigh the stronger one.

by Anonymousreply 139June 12, 2019 1:19 AM

One of the friends is clearly bisexual or gay in Striking Vipers. You don't tell your best friend you love them unless you mean it.

by Anonymousreply 140June 12, 2019 1:45 AM

Season 1 ep one - a man kidnaps the princess and threatens to kill her unless he fucks a pig on live TV - so he does it and it turns out the whole thing was a hoax - Seaons 5 Miley Cyrus is put in a coma and her evil aunt mines pop music from her head - saved by two teen girls and ends with Miley singing head like a hole...Yeah it was WAAAYY darker season 1.

by Anonymousreply 141June 12, 2019 3:12 AM

whoa my spelling and grammar. But you get the gist.

by Anonymousreply 142June 12, 2019 3:13 AM

[quote]Unless his pecker is white, that was a blatant cock sock on Mackie. Disappointing.

R13, are you fucking retarded? OF FUCKING COURSE he was wearing a cock sock, you moron: this is Hollywood[-ish], not a goddamn porno film!

by Anonymousreply 143August 17, 2019 7:15 AM

r143 I want to slap your rude ass through time and space. But I won't, because you're nothing but common trash.

by Anonymousreply 144August 17, 2019 10:28 AM

I thought the point of Striking Vipers wasn’t gay or trans or straight.

It was that sexuality is complicated and technology is only going to make it more so.

by Anonymousreply 145September 27, 2019 3:06 PM

r145 Yes, but it also became a bit of the former once they met in real life. Also, they never switched genders in the game, so it was obviously some commentary on gender identity and sexual orientation in there as well.

by Anonymousreply 146September 27, 2019 3:15 PM

The episode should have been called Giant Cocktease

by Anonymousreply 147September 27, 2019 10:15 PM

[bold]Anthony Mackie on How 'Black Mirror' Episode Conveys an "Idea of Bromance"[/bold]

[quote]Exploring virtual gaming's impact on intimacy and sexual identity in 'Striking Vipers,' the actor hopes audiences will use the episode to "reflect on themselves and their ignorance."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 148November 23, 2019 10:56 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!