Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

OMG, Trump doesn't understand Trade Policy!

His cronies are letting him destroy trade!

We’ll be paying those tariffs, not the Chinese!

by Anonymousreply 67May 15, 2019 3:38 AM

One slight correction,, OP - Trump doesn't understand !

by Anonymousreply 1May 13, 2019 7:54 PM

If you want any proof he is a Russian asset look no further than this stupid trade war. Those jobs are never coming back here. Companies are already looking at countries like Vietnam to move their operations.

by Anonymousreply 2May 13, 2019 7:57 PM

Neither do his advisors. Not one person in the White House understands trade.

by Anonymousreply 3May 13, 2019 7:57 PM

Trump is a criminal, liar and fraud. He's also incompetent. He doesn't understand anything. He's not a business person. He's a fraud, a con man, a carnival barker a real estate shyster. A fuck-up. He lost more money than anyone in the entire United States between 1985-1994. He rarely pays taxes to this day. He's a fucking liar. So no, of course he doesn't understand trade policy. He also doesn't understand the diplomacy, the three co-equal branches of government and or how people are struggling to afford health care, and yet he wants to take it away from them with no replacement.

Vote him the fuck out of office.

by Anonymousreply 4May 13, 2019 8:00 PM

Donald Trump is the very definition of white male privilege.

He's completely unqualified for the job of president, but president Obama who had the smarts and carried himself as a president caught hell from the very same people who help put Trump in the white house.

This is why people hate white men.

by Anonymousreply 5May 13, 2019 8:14 PM

Holy shit!! The market today ended at at -617.38 (Dow)... -269.92 (Nasdaq).... -69.53 (S&P 500). VOTE HIM OUT!!! He is the worst thing for this country... period!

by Anonymousreply 6May 13, 2019 8:40 PM

While this motherfucking fraud and criminal Trump is stumbling and destroying our democracy, the stock market is tanking 617 points ruining people's investments and 401K retirement savings.

by Anonymousreply 7May 13, 2019 8:46 PM

R5- he is simply a con man and all the NYC community has known this for decades. He has offended the EU, Canada and the Southern Asian ring (cannot remember the name of the treaty)- and is trying to forge a unilateral agreement with China instead of working with all markets. He does not know what he is doing at all. He is a con man. My guess is that at some point soon he will make a short term agreement with China that will solve nothing- but will give him an opportunity to say he has achieved a great success- like he did with NAFTA/Canada/Mexico, and the Korean nuclear standoff- and hopefully will not go to war with Iran to distract us. Anyone who voted for him is a deplorable American citizen and I want as little to do with them as possible. Any gay man or women who voted for him is completely fucked up. These few issues are just a drop in the bucket of the devastation he is reaping on us- economy? Obama's economy. We should be paying down the deficit in healthy economic growth years and we are doing just the opposite so corporations and the rich (which includes me) can have "tax relief". And on and on...

by Anonymousreply 8May 13, 2019 8:52 PM

R7 that's fine. Trump and his cronies don't care what this does to the little people. They're intentionally fucking up the market for themselves, so when it rebounds they make a fortune. It doesn't matter how badly it hurts us in the meantime.

by Anonymousreply 9May 13, 2019 8:56 PM

R9 is correct. The people behind all Republican policy do not hate Obama, they hate FDR and if they can fuck over the safety net and return to the good old days of Calvin Coolidge only then will the US be back on the right track.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10May 13, 2019 9:19 PM

You know that this has been explained to him many times. Is he stubbornly refusing to accept the truth, or hoping that by lying he can avoid being held responsible by his followers for a tax increase on US consumers.?

by Anonymousreply 11May 13, 2019 9:23 PM

Duh! He understands grifting and he excels at being a lying con artist. What a piece of sewage!

by Anonymousreply 12May 13, 2019 9:23 PM

"There will be some sacrifice on the part of Americans, I grant you that. But also that sacrifice is pretty minimal compared to the sacrifices that our soldiers make overseas that are fallen heroes or laid to rest," Sen. Tom Cotton on trade war with China

by Anonymousreply 13May 13, 2019 9:25 PM

Remember that tax break deplorables were cheering as the GOP Tax Law passed... Oops

by Anonymousreply 14May 13, 2019 9:30 PM

R13. Tom Cotton drink my piss you slimy sycophant defending con man Don at every turn.

by Anonymousreply 15May 13, 2019 9:41 PM

Deplorables are all so ignorant, they will never understand that Trump is destroying our great country.

by Anonymousreply 16May 13, 2019 9:54 PM

Trump is making Putin's life, very pleasant. And we all stand by in disgust and Mueller is a guilty man.

by Anonymousreply 17May 13, 2019 9:55 PM

But he is shafting black and brown people, and preventing murder of the unborn, so all is forgiven, R16.

On a side note: Don't the Chinese own considerable US debt? Couldn't they fuck us over big time by calling it all in and due?

by Anonymousreply 18May 13, 2019 9:57 PM

He doesn't care about the murder of children that are here.. with the shootings. After birth.. all bets are off. He also doesn't care about the heath care of children or anyone, for that matter.

by Anonymousreply 19May 13, 2019 10:05 PM

Even worse than Trump are the previous administrations that allowed this trade and import situation with China to develop in the first place.

by Anonymousreply 20May 13, 2019 10:06 PM

God, I hate that motherfucker.

He's going to get away with it too. Everything. He's gonna walk away with it all without so much as a scratch. Just wait and see.

by Anonymousreply 21May 13, 2019 10:20 PM

Listen, you ignorant turf at r20, the other trade policies were iniated by negotiations. Negotiations by people who actually understood trade. Trump is ignorant filth, who should be hung by his neck until dead.

by Anonymousreply 22May 13, 2019 10:25 PM

R18: Yes but it would collapse our economy. Which means China would never recoup the money and now poor Americans can't buy the crap China makes, plunging THEIR economy into collapse.

by Anonymousreply 23May 13, 2019 10:29 PM

r10, Plenty of them hate Obama too, for his skin color if nothing else.

by Anonymousreply 24May 13, 2019 10:30 PM

R22 Trade policies that created a monster and decimated industry in the US...what geniuses!

by Anonymousreply 25May 13, 2019 10:35 PM

Trump and his advisers understand. This is their way of selling this "policy" to his base of deplorables - who truly have no fucking clue about trade policy

by Anonymousreply 26May 13, 2019 10:42 PM

5/13/19 on “MSNBC Live with Katy Tur”. Trump ‘s presser starts about 37 minutes into the show, and ends about 51 minutes in. Elise Jordan’s comment starts about 54 minutes 10 seconds into the show.

You have to see this to believe it. They talk about laughing at him, but then acknowledge that Americans are going to really suffer, so it’s not funny. That part isn’t on the video clip shown here, it is on the original.

I welcome a better quality video of this, if anyone has it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 27May 13, 2019 10:48 PM

you sound suprised that he doesnt understand trade policy? Isnt it clear by now, Trumps only brillance is getting himself out of jams by any and all means necessary? He doesnt or cant read. He understands NOTHING..

by Anonymousreply 28May 13, 2019 10:59 PM

[quote]Tom Cotton drink my piss

Pics please.

by Anonymousreply 29May 13, 2019 11:07 PM

Now he's asking for subsidies to bail out the farmers (his base) for the economic mess he's caused.

by Anonymousreply 30May 13, 2019 11:22 PM

What is truly horrible is that Tom Cotton says this to people who cannot retire, and people who will be so broke soon, that I genuinely have no clue where they will go and what they will do.

The final reckoning of small towns, blighted areas, and former manufacturing towns is here. The final shaking out of the blankets, so to speak.

Any and all security nets barely holding many Americans afloat, are about to be snapped, due to changes in policy. What no access to healthcare doesn’t do to further impoverish our poor, rising cost will.

America is completely done being a country for poors and the lower middle class. And upper middle classes Better keep moving up, or else.

Stick around for another 10 years, in order to mark my words. That’s if you can afford to.

by Anonymousreply 31May 13, 2019 11:26 PM

[quote] R18: On a side note: Don't the Chinese own considerable US debt? Couldn't they fuck us over big time by calling it all in and due?

Here is a clip from the movie [italic] “Too Big to Fail”. [/italic] The movie is fact based, occurring during the ending 5 months of the Bush Administration, as the economy collapsed. The main American Character is Treasury Secretary Paulson. The Chinese man must be his counterpart. The clip ends with Paulson dining with Fed Chairman Ben Bernanke.

Sec. Paulson is played by William Hurt, and Ben Bernanke by Paul Giamatti. Casting did a good job making the actors look like the real people. I remember seeing Paulson buckling under the pressure, also depicted.

It’s a horror movie for financial junkies. I only recently discovered the film and have watched it multiple times, now.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 32May 13, 2019 11:54 PM

when the alternative is doing what past presidents have done, aka let all the jobs go cause ~cheaper goods yay~ no shit people are going to say 'fuck you all'

by Anonymousreply 33May 14, 2019 12:00 AM

I think the next war will be cyber based, with false friends swearing it’s not them, as we become incapacitated. Cyber attacks can be more specifically targeted. Perhaps, destroying Ford, Boeing, and GE (financially) but leaving Facebook (for future use). Something like that.

Selling bonds as described in R32 ‘s clip is a financial nuclear bomb. Russia and China will suffering in an unknown way, (as if like nuclear fallout at the time before it was understood); but I think Putin is a crazy narcissist like Trump, but much much smarter. China has pride, like us all; and, they eventually may just feel they need to defend themselves.

by Anonymousreply 34May 14, 2019 12:08 AM

I have not yet read [italic] “The Sleepwalkers” [/italic] about WWI, but understand the theme to be how the leaders all the major powers thought the war would be over in months, with some minor border adjustments. Instead, it literally killed an entire generation of men, four empires fell, and lasted 5 years - though, in the future, they will teach WWII as the second act of the same war, so, maybe 100 million killed in Europe. Something like that.

Many also thought the Civil War would be one battle. Civilians took carriages and packed lunches to a hill overlooking the first major battlefield, thinking of it as entertainment. They didn’t think it was so entertaining 4 years later.

My point here, is that wars of any kind have a way of going awry.

by Anonymousreply 35May 14, 2019 12:22 AM

Pierre, at R35, is it a good read? Highly recommend or nah?

by Anonymousreply 36May 14, 2019 1:42 AM

R36, it was a NY Times best seller for years, IIRC. Published 2013, so it’s not antiquated reading. Read the reviews, but I’d recommend it.

I worry, literally, about my Nephew’s age (~25). No personal knowledge of the wars in Europe*; didn’t know the term “Bank Run” when we watched “It’s a Wonderful Life”. He was an adolescent during the 2008 crash, which was handled so well, he doesn’t know that it damaged his family’s life.

*my Dad served in WWII, but kids in the 1960s were all reading books or watching movies about the War, since it was such a shared experience.

by Anonymousreply 37May 14, 2019 2:00 AM

People are tired, it seems. The "left" went a little overboard so now we are witnessing the backlash. The power this gives to Trump is endless. We're just going to over correct for awhile. We may suffer a little in the short term but we will prosper in the long run as a nation. People are tired with buying crappy Chinese products that need to be replaced often. Their products hold no long term value should one liquidate their possessions at resale. Too bad the Chinese refuse to compromise so that American and Chinese citizens flourish.

Probably best holding tight and just let Americans resell to each other right now. It's never been easier for us to do so with so many selling platforms available. We should just concern ourselves with continental trade. The US, Canada and Mexico really don't need anyone else. All 3 produce high quality products. You really do get what you pay for. If just to reduce the number of peasant rube tourists they have unleashed on the world with their new wealth, it's a start.

by Anonymousreply 38May 14, 2019 3:01 AM

R38, thanks Boris. The left has nothing to do with this shit show. We have 1/2 of the legislative branch. Thank god people put Dems in state houses or we would be done.

by Anonymousreply 39May 14, 2019 3:19 AM

What R39 said.

by Anonymousreply 40May 14, 2019 3:21 AM

Even if this trade war, doesn't bring jobs back, which it won't. It should have the effect of making us less dependent on one country, and it is much better for our goods to come from a wider variety of sources. It is a failure of decades of Republican and Democratic leadership, that we allowed ourselves to become so beholden to a country that is totally incompatible with us and horrible for the world. It might cause us some hardship for the short-term but it will be worth it, because China must be taken to task for their un-fair trade practices and theft of intellectual property.

by Anonymousreply 41May 14, 2019 3:35 AM

In addition to consumer and commercial goods manufactured in China, China's technology also reaches the US's supply of medical/pharmaceutical products (equipment and related technology) as well.

Get ready -

by Anonymousreply 42May 14, 2019 3:44 AM

This issue required a well thought out, private, American consideration in advance. A long term plan to fix whatever we want to prioritize. Not what Trump did, at all. Trump has no plan. He doesn’t know why he has started a trade war.

I’m going to make sure I buy my new iPad and iPhone this month. They’re made in China.

by Anonymousreply 43May 14, 2019 3:59 AM

R38’s post is just insane. It makes no sense. And the US doesn’t get “tired”, especially when run properly.

by Anonymousreply 44May 14, 2019 4:02 AM

Yeah, R42, it’s a problem, but it’s one of our own making.

Let’s not forget, that we, as many others, decided that it was better to play with China, than to not.

I’ve mixed feelings on that. We have probably done the Chinese a good thing, and have lessened some back breaking poverty, but overall, not significantly.

I understand why we engaged them in trade as we did, yet it ruined the lives of countless Americans, and we have further enslaved Chinese, who are working in deplorable conditions, so that we can have our iPhones. That bothers me, and I am now also, enslaved, because I cannot simply chuck my cellphone down the river, and shut down my income, by shutting off to technology.

We are all fucking trapped, however, my cage isn’t quite the same as the one 30 Chinese strangers cram into every night, after working for 12 hours a day, to make my fucking iPhone. And don’t get me wrong, because I understand that those guys have it really good, compared to the other guy who at 20 years of age, got arrested for the 3rd time for suspicion of anti communist sentiments, and just got shot in the head while incarcerated, because some Israeli dude just paid $20,000 +, for his kidneys or liver.

The Chinese government is evil. Horror movie evil.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 45May 14, 2019 4:07 AM

So many lost here

by Anonymousreply 46May 14, 2019 4:28 AM

Point out how it makes no sense R44 with a well thought out argument not a lazy retort.

Dance, motherfucker

by Anonymousreply 47May 14, 2019 4:30 AM

Trump was bluffing and got called on it.

by Anonymousreply 48May 14, 2019 4:33 AM

Believe me, Donald Trump understands trade. He paid me $130,000 not to talk about it.

by Anonymousreply 49May 14, 2019 4:37 AM

I remember when Americans started manufacturing in China during the 1970s because Chinese labor was so cheap. It appalled me as I was a designer who had some designs stolen by a fellow American and manufactured in China. Designs created by Americans for for quilts, linens, ceramics, and many other every day products were outsourced at the expense of jobs for locals. People like trump and Ivanka are happy to exploit those markets at the expense of the people they pretend to care about. Many of those jobs will never come back and what trump, with his Chinese trademarks, is again acting in his own self-interest. He cares nothing for the average American. No one should trust him, he's a con man through and through.

by Anonymousreply 50May 14, 2019 4:52 AM

Don't care about his true interior motive which is all ego driven. He's fighting for the country. That's all that matters. Let the man lead.

by Anonymousreply 51May 14, 2019 6:29 AM

R51, take that shit to 8chan with all the rest of your Russian propaganda.

by Anonymousreply 52May 14, 2019 6:33 AM

4chan doubled itself?😅

by Anonymousreply 53May 14, 2019 6:57 AM

I see these people on Facebook. Rubes barely able to support themselves, who would lick the shit out of Trump's dirty asshole just for the bragging rights of saying they got to do it.

All they want in life is "to own the libs."

by Anonymousreply 54May 14, 2019 7:51 AM

China's going to pay for the Wall! Oh yeah, they already have one.

by Anonymousreply 55May 14, 2019 7:53 AM

People keep saying Trump is just a jackass and he could understand things if he cared to try, but I genuinely believe he has a learning disorder and truly doesn't understand tariffs or their economic impact.

by Anonymousreply 56May 14, 2019 8:14 AM

Trump wouldn't understand his own shit he dumps at 3 AM every other night. Talking about being a clueless dumbass.

by Anonymousreply 57May 14, 2019 8:26 AM

According to one of Trump’s former U Penn classmates, Trump was rarely in any of his classes.

Allegedly, he could always be found hanging out on the school grounds, picking up on cute coeds. So while he was on school property, he was rarely in attendance for class. He said no one ever questioned how he matriculated through, because it was assumed by all that Fred Trump’s money was assuring Trump’s passing grades.

He said that when other classmates would ask him why he was never in class, he’d tell them that he didn’t need to attend because he already knew everything there was to know about finance, business administration, and real estate.

I wish I could find that interview. I read it before he won the GOP primary, and now, I can’t find it ANYWHERE. If anyone has a link to it, or also remembers reading it, which I’m sure some of you did, please advise.

I am certain that Trump isn’t as IQ stupid as everyone believes he is. But he really is not formally educated. I agree that he might have a slight learning disability, which does NOT make a person dumb, they just have to learn information in different ways than those who don’t have a learning disability.

I suspect it’s ADHD, with slight dyslexia, which were not properly identified or even properly diagnosed when he was a child. I also suspect that this was why he was sent to military school as a teen. Any formal education that he does have, probably stops there, which is why he has such a limited vocabulary.

I admire the fact that he was able to become a fantastic showman, despite his handicaps, and that he was smart enough to hire people who smarter, and better educated than himself.

The problem with Trump, however, is that because he refused to attend class, he never learned about how to be ethical. Business ethics were obviously not a part of his brand, and he understood that he was inheriting something that was not built ethically, by his father. So instead, he learned mob ethics, which, to his credit, was HIGHLY common and acceptable in NYC, at that time. The Trumps were definitely not the only real estate heavy family to have a strong history with mob bosses. Almost everyone had to pay to play, unless they came from real, old money.

Anyhow, folks like R51 make me laugh, because Trump was never a man to “lead”. The true “leaders” in his life, were the NY mob, and the NY FBI Field Office, which he eventually was likely to have been “forced” to work with as a “rat”, in order to shut down investigations implicating him and to stay out of the clink.

He has no idea what he’s doing in D.C., and the more I learn about him, the more I am convinced the 2016 election was bought by more than one party of interest. It’s what he knows. It’s all he knows, actually: mob tactics 101 and beyond.

This is why his base relates to him. They are crude and uneducated, like “mobsters”, while the ones with big money know that Trump is a man easily bought and highly compromised.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 58May 14, 2019 2:07 PM

That's not his job. The GOP backers do it. He just plays the reality star for those who buy it.

by Anonymousreply 59May 14, 2019 2:40 PM

R47: You're aching for a spanking, little boy. Watch your mouth and check the attitude.

R51: You're dumb as hell.

by Anonymousreply 60May 14, 2019 3:15 PM

R51, having a tantrum is not “fighting for the country”.

by Anonymousreply 61May 14, 2019 3:36 PM

Let the man lead us into oblivion.

by Anonymousreply 62May 14, 2019 3:36 PM

R53 8chan is the Russian propaganda/Nazi board of them all. Filth.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 63May 14, 2019 3:40 PM

R58, I don't have time to research but essentially if you put "Trump" and "Classmates" you get a lot of articles like the one I've cited that captures what you are reporting.

I'm a Penn grad (not Wharton) who still lives in Philadelphia. I worked in the alumni office while his kids went to school and when he made his largest donations. He did not fulfill a pledge and never gave to Penn/Wharton on the caliber of a "multi-billionaire." He's not charitable of course, but also doesn't have much cash. I think a lack of charity, however, is what it's really about as many ponzi scheme types give large amounts to charity.

To this day I have not seen him mentioned in the alumni magazine. There really is no benefit to Penn cultivating him. He doesn't give, and would alienate those who do.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 64May 14, 2019 3:57 PM

Still horrified here. No comfort.

by Anonymousreply 65May 15, 2019 1:33 AM

I totally agree with you R58 but old dogs can learn new tricks and I say his leadership should be not as much hindered because he has learn from his mistakes. We've all seen it play out. Barring legal visa holders from entering our airports in Jan 16 was an invaluable lesson in curtailing a delusional fraud of a man. Black eye. Lesson learned. Claiming Mexico was paying for the wall. Black eye. Lesson learned. Having dealings with a Korean in any sort of arrangement. Black eye. Lesson learned.

Thing is, he learns from his mistakes and then pulls out that priceless trait known to all surviving life forces: ADAPTABILITY

by Anonymousreply 66May 15, 2019 3:36 AM

R60, try me. I'll drown you in the shallow end.

by Anonymousreply 67May 15, 2019 3:38 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!