Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Peggy Lipton is dead to me

There will never be a Mod Squad reunion

by Anonymousreply 55May 14, 2019 7:54 AM

Link

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1May 12, 2019 1:50 AM

Wasn’t she involved in s scandal? Too lazy to check. She was ravishing in her prime.

by Anonymousreply 2May 12, 2019 1:52 AM

Nooooooooooo

by Anonymousreply 3May 12, 2019 1:53 AM

Aw not Peggy. Damn.

by Anonymousreply 4May 12, 2019 1:53 AM

Much too young. What a lovely woman.

by Anonymousreply 5May 12, 2019 1:56 AM

Link? What happened? Did her cancer come back?

by Anonymousreply 6May 12, 2019 1:56 AM

Oh no! Sucks, 72 is relatively young these days. She was a pretty cool lady.

I was just thinking about her anecdote from her book, where she was called down to Paul McCartney's hotel room, and then found him there with Linda.

by Anonymousreply 7May 12, 2019 1:57 AM

Well I guess so r6.

by Anonymousreply 8May 12, 2019 1:58 AM

Wow. I am sad

by Anonymousreply 9May 12, 2019 2:03 AM

She made delicious iced tea.

by Anonymousreply 10May 12, 2019 2:03 AM

GOD, she was talentless.

by Anonymousreply 11May 12, 2019 2:04 AM

Actress and former model Peggy Lipton, who rose to stardom in the late 1960s on the counterculture police series “The Mod Squad” and later starred on TV’s “Twin Peaks,” has died.

Her death from cancer was announced Saturday by Kidada and Rashida Jones, her daughters from a marriage to famed music producer Quincy Jones.

“She made her journey peacefully with her daughters and nieces by her side,” Lipton’s daughters said in a statement to The Times. “We feel so lucky for every moment we spent with her.”

Born in New York on Aug. 30, 1946, Lipton began modeling at age 15 and quickly found herself in demand. At age 19, she made her television debut on the sitcom “The John Forsythe Show,” going on to make appearances on such series as “Bewitched,” “The Alfred Hitchcock Hour” and “The Virginian.”

The waifish, blond Lipton had just turned 21 when she rocketed to fame in 1968 as the street-smart flower child Julie Barnes, one of a trio of Los Angeles undercover “hippie cops” on the ABC crime series “The Mod Squad.”

One of pop culture’s first efforts to reckon seriously with the counterculture — and one of the first TV shows to feature an interracial cast — the series, which costarred Michael Cole and Clarence Williams III, dealt with issues such as domestic violence, abortion, police brutality, the Vietnam War and drugs. Over five seasons, the series earned Lipton, one of the “it” girls of her time, four Emmy nominations and a 1971 Golden Globe award for best actress in a TV drama.

Her role and later marriage to Jones, who is black, put Lipton at the center of the passions of a restive America dealing with racism and a post-World War II generation who were breaking free from their parents. The “Mod Squad’s” edgy music and hip slang marked a significant shift from “Gunsmoke” and “Leave It To Beaver.” But while the show turned the mini-skirt-and-bellbottoms-clad Lipton into a fashion icon, she found the spotlight uncomfortable.

“I never saw myself as trend-setting,” Lipton told The Times in 1993. “We were always working. Fame really drove me into my house. I was very paranoid. I didn’t like going out. I had no idea how to be comfortable with the press. I was very young. It was really hard for me.”

Lipton parlayed her role on “The Mod Squad” into a singing career, enjoying chart success with her cover versions of “Stoney End” and “Lu” by Laura Nyro and “Wear Your Love Like Heaven” by Donovan.

In 1974, Lipton married Jones and, with the exception of a 1979 “Mod Squad” reunion TV movie, stepped away from her career to focus on raising a family. The pair’s daughters, Kidada and Rashida, would both become actors, the latter gaining fame on the comedy series “The Office” and “Parks and Recreation.”

After Lipton and Jones divorced in 1989, Lipton decided to return to acting, landing the role of Norma Jennings on the cult TV series “Twin Peaks.”

“It was very scary,” Lipton told The Times in 1993. “I had a push-pull thing inside me that I wanted to do it…. I had become so insulated in my world as a mother, that I didn’t know how to pick up the phone and call anybody to put myself out there.”

She and Clarence Williams III made cameo appearances in a 1999 big-screen version of "The Mod Squad" that starred Claire Danes, Omar Epps and Giovanni Ribisi. In her 2005 memoir “Breathing Out,” Lipton wrote of her struggles with fame and the racism she and Jones faced as an interracial couple and revealed that she had been diagnosed with and treated for colon cancer the previous year.

In recent years, Lipton continued to appear in occasional supporting roles in films such as “When in Rome” and “A Dog’s Purpose.”

“We can’t put all of our feelings into words right now, but we will say: Peggy was and will always be our beacon of light, both in this world and beyond,” her daughters said in a statement Saturday. “She will always be a part of us.”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12May 12, 2019 2:05 AM

Damn, Rashida Jones's mother dies and they cancel her sitcom on the same day.

by Anonymousreply 13May 12, 2019 2:06 AM

I’m sorry, “Kidada?”

by Anonymousreply 14May 12, 2019 2:11 AM

She was , rightly or wrongly, considered the epitome of 60s cool.

Michael Cole was hot. Dead or alive?

by Anonymousreply 15May 12, 2019 2:12 AM

R1 you mean- Linc

by Anonymousreply 16May 12, 2019 2:14 AM

I feel like Peggy is being punished for giving birth to the antichrist known as Rashida Jones.

by Anonymousreply 17May 12, 2019 2:15 AM

I remember her early 70s popularity though I was a child then.

by Anonymousreply 18May 12, 2019 2:27 AM

I feel Susan Dey should share some memories and sympathy.

by Anonymousreply 19May 12, 2019 2:30 AM

who?

by Anonymousreply 20May 12, 2019 2:32 AM

The show she starred in had one of the most epic intros ever.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 21May 12, 2019 2:37 AM

With Lizsha

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 22May 12, 2019 2:38 AM

One white, one black,....

by Anonymousreply 23May 12, 2019 2:42 AM

Sad news. Such a stunning woman her whole life. RIP.

by Anonymousreply 24May 12, 2019 2:43 AM

They're not saying if it's the colon cancer she had in 2004 or a different cancer.

If it's the former, then both she and Olivia Newton-John originally "survived" a cancer that came back as Stage IV more than a decade later. Sad and scary.

by Anonymousreply 25May 12, 2019 2:45 AM

Peggy was so beautiful. May she Rest In Peace.

by Anonymousreply 26May 12, 2019 2:46 AM

I always enjoyed Rashida in PARKS & REC and elsewhere. She always projects intelligence and great humor to me. Very likeable.

Kidada is an actress but I don't recall having seen her in anything.

Good for Peggy for achieving fame, knowing when to step out of the limelight (and back in), and raising (from the sounds of it) two great, level-headed kids.

by Anonymousreply 27May 12, 2019 2:50 AM

R25, it never really leaves. When doctors declare patients cancer-free it's a phrase more than a fact.

Anyway, RIP, Peggy. I can't believe Quincy outlived you.

by Anonymousreply 28May 12, 2019 2:50 AM

"She was , rightly or wrongly, considered the epitome of 60s cool."

I don't know about "cool" but I thought she was the epitome of 60s style beauty, what with her beautiful, natural looking face and long blonde hair parted in the middle. She aged well, too. She stayed beautiful a long time.

by Anonymousreply 29May 12, 2019 2:52 AM

Still beautiful in TWIN PEAKS, 20 years after MOD SQUAD.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 30May 12, 2019 2:56 AM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 31May 12, 2019 2:56 AM

RIP beautiful lady

by Anonymousreply 32May 12, 2019 2:57 AM

I see a lot of Peggy in both daughters.

Here's Kidada.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 33May 12, 2019 2:58 AM

RIP.

by Anonymousreply 34May 12, 2019 2:59 AM

[quote] Lipton parlayed her role on “The Mod Squad” into a singing career, enjoying chart success with her cover versions of “Stoney End” and “Lu” by Laura Nyro and “Wear Your Love Like Heaven” by Donovan.

Exactly which chart was that?

by Anonymousreply 35May 12, 2019 2:59 AM

With family.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 36May 12, 2019 3:00 AM

Her daughters are almost her twins, in terms of facial structure.

They really lucked out, because Quincy was nothing to look at.

Genetics are an astounding thing.

by Anonymousreply 37May 12, 2019 3:11 AM

Here's her version of "Stoney End." Not bad.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 38May 12, 2019 3:16 AM

Back when every tv stah had to be a pop stah too.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 39May 12, 2019 3:30 AM

There will be a Mod Squad reunion but with Busy Phillip in the Julie Barnes role.

by Anonymousreply 40May 12, 2019 3:34 AM

Posting only because OP is adhering to the DL title formula for dead people.

Although the word “dead” should have been capitalized.

by Anonymousreply 41May 12, 2019 3:36 AM

She still looked great in the Twin Peaks reboot a few years ago

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 42May 12, 2019 3:40 AM

Did Quincy give her the ass cancer? We need the full story!

by Anonymousreply 43May 12, 2019 3:45 AM

She was a gorgeous woman, IMO.

by Anonymousreply 44May 12, 2019 3:52 AM

Such sad news. One of the most beautiful women ever. She was a lovely, sweet woman. Liked a couple of my tweets, so glad I was able to interact with her in some fashion before she left this world...

by Anonymousreply 45May 12, 2019 4:07 AM

Agree that she aged amazingly well. I thought she looked better on Twin Peaks than she did on Mod Squad.

by Anonymousreply 46May 12, 2019 4:29 AM

I hate to rain on your parade but she did some bad stuff too.

Ex-Controller Alan Hevesi and actress Peggy Lipton caught up in huge pension bribery scandal (NY Daily News DEC 03, 2009 article)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 47May 12, 2019 4:34 AM

Why'd she never have much of a career after The Mod Squad?

by Anonymousreply 48May 12, 2019 4:36 AM

She had her children right after Mod Squad with Quincy Jones (which her parents even gasped about) and took time to raise them, until she resurfaced with Twin Peaks when they were in high school.

by Anonymousreply 49May 12, 2019 4:57 AM

R48 I read her book yrs ago & Iirc she said she really didn't care for fame, didnt even really like acting all that much. She found herself hiding in her home to avoid the press and fans.

When she married she decided to raise her kids and be a sahm.

by Anonymousreply 50May 12, 2019 4:59 AM

I halfway read the link about Whatever she did. I did not understand.

by Anonymousreply 51May 12, 2019 6:50 AM

I'm sorry for her death. I have a question and I hope my question isn't obnoxious, rude, or coming off as a troll, or being disrespectful. I am not trying to be any of those things. I just have a question.Wasn't there some rumor that she was involved in an orgy on board a boat with her being the only female on board with black male celebrities who had sex with her? I think Sammy Davis Jr. was there, Sidney Poitier, and others but I forgot who else? Or was that another actress?

Also, a poster mentioned colon cancer is related to anal sex. Yes, doctors have been doing studies and they have found out many, many times colon cancer is connected engaging in anal sex. They thought that was the case with Farrah Fawcett.

by Anonymousreply 52May 12, 2019 1:05 PM

Bump for original and OFFICIAL DEAD TO ME thread

by Anonymousreply 53May 12, 2019 6:11 PM

R52: I'm sure that has happened

by Anonymousreply 54May 12, 2019 6:27 PM

So boring and pedestrian compared to the other Peggy Lipton thread

by Anonymousreply 55May 14, 2019 7:54 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!