Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

DL medical advice....

I think I broke my ankle. Fell outside walking to mailbox. It is very swollen yet I can still walk on it (w some pain). If I try to turn the ankle/foot, it is searing pain. I know, go to the doctor. It's Sunday and m not going to the ER. How to know if it is sprained versus broken??

by Anonymousreply 34May 5, 2019 9:11 PM

That’s a shame. ™

by Anonymousreply 1May 5, 2019 3:53 PM

Suffer in silence, OP.

by Anonymousreply 2May 5, 2019 3:53 PM

You cannot tell unless you have a home X-ray machine.

Do you?

by Anonymousreply 3May 5, 2019 3:55 PM

Sure you don't need to go to the ER, OP?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4May 5, 2019 4:00 PM

[quote]It is very swollen yet I can still walk on it (w some pain).

You wouldn't be able to walk on it if it was broken. Put ice or something frozen wrapped in a cloth (never put ice directly on the skin) on it and wait until tomorrow to go to the doctor.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5May 5, 2019 4:00 PM

The only way to know is X-rays. Go to urgent care, much cheaper than ER.

by Anonymousreply 6May 5, 2019 4:00 PM

I guess you're not going to die. Keep it elevated and keep it iced all day today and take mass quantities of Ibuprofen.

If it's worse tomorrow, go to the doctor.

by Anonymousreply 7May 5, 2019 4:01 PM

Thx everyone. Seriously. Thank you

by Anonymousreply 8May 5, 2019 4:02 PM

One time I felt sure I had sprained my ankle. It just did not hurt enough to be a fracture, or so I thought. An x-ray proved otherwise. I waited a couple of days until I could get an appointment with my regular doctor and drove myself there. It really did not hurt that much.

Go to a doctor OP.

by Anonymousreply 9May 5, 2019 4:02 PM

What’s on OP’s iPod?

by Anonymousreply 10May 5, 2019 4:02 PM

I've been having some weird tightness in the foot and calf. Can walk run on it. Hopefully it goes away. My insurance sucks.

by Anonymousreply 11May 5, 2019 4:05 PM

Ask a friend to run over your other foot with your car and compare and contrast the pain, assuming the car broke bones in that foot.

by Anonymousreply 12May 5, 2019 4:05 PM

The Lord says, "If your hand or your foot causes you to stumble, cut it off and throw it from you.” (Matthew 18:8)

Sharpen your axe and start chopping!

by Anonymousreply 13May 5, 2019 4:17 PM

Most likely not fractured. Elevate and ice and take any pain meds you can scrounge up. I take X-rays for a living and probably one out of every 20 ankles is actually fractured. We charge their insurance $1000 and wrap it with an ace bandage.

by Anonymousreply 14May 5, 2019 4:21 PM

R10

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 15May 5, 2019 4:33 PM

I bet it's shattered, OP.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16May 5, 2019 4:39 PM

These are the guidelines ER docs use to rule out an ankle fracture

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17May 5, 2019 4:40 PM

RICE. Rest. Ice. Compression. Enema.

by Anonymousreply 18May 5, 2019 5:23 PM

Keep it elevated and ice every hour. Stay off it until you can see a doctor. A sprain van still mean crutches for a few days or weeks.

by Anonymousreply 19May 5, 2019 5:29 PM

If you want to make sure it's broken, tap it hard with a hammer. Or get a friend to do it for you. Hope that helps.

by Anonymousreply 20May 5, 2019 5:31 PM

R20 is right. But it must be a ball peen hammer, not the claw kind.

by Anonymousreply 21May 5, 2019 5:34 PM

At OP's age (85+) shouldn't she be in an assisted living home, rather than alone on her own?

by Anonymousreply 22May 5, 2019 5:42 PM

Nip down to the Urgent Treatment Centre or give NHS 111 a call.

Oh wait...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 23May 5, 2019 5:48 PM

[quote]It's Sunday and m not going to the ER.

Our advice is a mouthful of drain cleaner, cunt.

by Anonymousreply 24May 5, 2019 6:03 PM

I was walking to my commuter train. My route included a walking down huge-ass steep hill. As I was walking down said hill (walking, not running, not galloping, not even speed-walking or trotting), I rolled my ankle. Boom! Down I fell! (I even smacked my head on the pavement in my fall.)

Upon hitting the ground, I instinctively knew if I didn't stand up immediately, I would not be able to stand up at all. My next thought was, I am not missing that train! I walked six city blocks to reach the terminal, upon entering it, I asked the dirty Information Desk for a wheelchair. The dirty Information Desk had inquired as to why I might be in need of such a device. "I've rolled my ankle," I'd explained. "I barley made it here." (Adrenaline is an interesting hormone.) Zoom! I was immediately wheeled onto the train platform and deposited into a commuter handicap seat, where I carefully placed my rolled up ankle onto the seat in front of me. (Yes, I ignored the dirty looks flashing my way.)

During the train ride, I telephoned my partner to share my experience and where it had led me. My partner's response, "I've told you once, I've told you twice, I'm telling you now, so I don't have to tell you then, 'No more rolled up ankles.'"

Upon my arrival home, my partner assisted me into our place, depositing me onto our bed, patiently taking off my traumatized shoe and sock to unroll my now complaining ankle: we'd discovered during my train ride my formerly rolled up ankle had metamorphosed into the lower leg/ankle of a baby rhino's, a purple baby rhino, at that.

Zoom (again)! Off we dashed to the ER; X-rays were taken; the ER doctors and radiologists whispered to each other while reviewing the resulting films; and then the ER doctor proudly announced: "I am referring you to an Orthopedic surgeon: your fifth metatarsal has been snapped; your fibula appears to have two avulsions, perhaps more; and your tibia is fractured as well."

For the next eight months I lived my life at home in a wheelchair, eventually complemented by walking crutches, a walking cane, diminished circulation in my left foot, and a completely atrophied left calf muscle, which has yet to return to its normal self, if it ever will.

Get your ass and your rolled up ankle to the ER, Op.

by Anonymousreply 25May 5, 2019 6:28 PM

Vital informatia for all DL sisters!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 26May 5, 2019 6:32 PM

Dear OP: When you ankles are wrapped around your ears, the power of his pounding you presents risks.

by Anonymousreply 27May 5, 2019 6:39 PM

Go to the ER. I slipped on a step last year and fell, landing on my ankle. I'd always been told "if you can walk on it, it's not broken" so I walked 10 -15 steps to the couch. It was absolute agony but I was convinced it was just sprained because hey, I can walk on it! Pain/swelling got worse over the next 15 minutes, so I went to the ER. I'd broken both my tibia and fibula and had to have surgery to fix tendons and install a plate. With physical therapy and an ankle stretching boot, I was able to walk after a few months. Go to the ER.

by Anonymousreply 28May 5, 2019 7:01 PM

Get an X-ray as soon as you can. You can't tell if it's broken or not just because you can walk on it. Trust me on this.

by Anonymousreply 29May 5, 2019 7:03 PM

Can I have your stuff, OP?

by Anonymousreply 30May 5, 2019 7:06 PM

You can walk on a broken foot thinking you had sprained it. I did it all day once. Until I was forced to get an x ray when I found out it was broken.

by Anonymousreply 31May 5, 2019 7:12 PM

Had a bad sprain after falling down some steps. Please go see a doctor, OP. The pain for the week after my fall was really bad even with pain meds and it took months before my ankle felt/looked relatively normal again.

by Anonymousreply 32May 5, 2019 7:12 PM

Maybe you can adjust the hem on your caftan so you won't trip on it again.

by Anonymousreply 33May 5, 2019 9:08 PM

When I broke mine 10 years ago, I couldn't stand on it period.

by Anonymousreply 34May 5, 2019 9:11 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!