Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Dyan Cannon and Cary Grant

[post redacted because linking to dailymail.co.uk clearly indicates that the poster is either a troll or an idiot (probably both, honestly.) Our advice is that you just ignore this poster but whatever you do, don't click on any link to this putrid rag.]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 62July 28, 2019 7:06 PM

She's very good in "The Last of Sheila" and hilarious in the Warren Beatty "Heaven Can Wait".

by Anonymousreply 1April 30, 2019 12:23 AM

She lies. There, I said it.

by Anonymousreply 2April 30, 2019 1:49 AM

For a few years there in the 70s, she was a bankable star, the most highly-paid actress.

by Anonymousreply 3April 30, 2019 1:51 AM

I read her memoir about being with Cary Grant and it was a fairly interesting book. Yes, he had her take LSD on a regular basis and it really wasn't good for her and a doctor told her to stop!

Goes into the usual nonsense that Cary really wasn't gay although it's well known that he was at least bisexual.

Book - 6/10.

by Anonymousreply 4April 30, 2019 2:07 AM

Of all the problems to have, taking LSD with Cary Grant seems like a pretty good one.

by Anonymousreply 5April 30, 2019 2:09 AM

Someone posted excerpts from that book on the Dl not too long ago. Dyan made Cary sound like a critical fussy queen who drove her nuts, even though she was trying to prove how straight he was.

by Anonymousreply 6April 30, 2019 2:18 AM

"To tell the truth/it hurt my pride/the groom was prettier than the bride . . ."

Even though a few decades older.

by Anonymousreply 7April 30, 2019 2:21 AM

Rock n Roll Mom!

by Anonymousreply 8April 30, 2019 2:26 AM

I think Grant was bi and a much more interesting person than he is often given credit for. He was married for two years to the heiress Barbara Hutton and she later said, when their marriage broke up, that he behaved like a complete gentleman and was the only one of her husbands who didn't try to squeeze money out of her through the divorce.

by Anonymousreply 9April 30, 2019 2:38 AM

She will always remind me of the 70s. All her movies were classic 70s romps. By 1980, she was done. Always found it weird Cary chose her. Maybe because she was young and naive. Doesn’t seem like the most brilliant woman.

by Anonymousreply 10April 30, 2019 2:40 AM

One child does not a brood mare make.

by Anonymousreply 11April 30, 2019 2:42 AM

She was fantastic in Heaven Can Wait.

by Anonymousreply 12April 30, 2019 2:43 AM

I liked her Pink Panther movie.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13April 30, 2019 3:35 AM

She was sexy and campy on the otherwise dreadful Ally McBeal.

by Anonymousreply 14April 30, 2019 3:46 AM

In her memoir of their relationship, doesn't she discuss how CG pursued her, out of the many, many glamorous actresses in the industry at the time, she, a relatively 'unknown,' ala Tammy and Katie?

by Anonymousreply 15April 30, 2019 3:53 AM

She makes Jane Fonda look demure.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16April 30, 2019 3:54 AM

R14 - As the Whipper

by Anonymousreply 17April 30, 2019 3:55 AM

Dyan Cannon IS Cary Grant.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18April 30, 2019 3:55 AM

Oooooh la la

by Anonymousreply 19April 30, 2019 3:57 AM

She was great in “Death Trap”. She did a lot of made-for-TV-movies, which were popular then and aired up to three times a week. Also guest stared on Love Boat; Fantasy Island;Murder, She Wrote; etc. Also game shows. She was a big star, but not an A list movie star.

by Anonymousreply 20April 30, 2019 4:23 AM

dyan can't even spell her name correctly

by Anonymousreply 21July 25, 2019 12:33 AM

Love her in ‘Out To Sea’

by Anonymousreply 22July 25, 2019 12:39 AM

He was much prettier than she was even at 60.

by Anonymousreply 23July 26, 2019 3:08 PM

I watched a sad biography on Cary Grant. Basically, he had an inability to trust any woman. He just couldn't get passed it Also, there was deep seated anger.

His mother left him on the docks - as a boy - she got on a boat and sailed away. He instantly became an orphan. Totally on his own. I'm not sure how he even survived.

by Anonymousreply 24July 26, 2019 3:23 PM

Dyan is finally taller than someone.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 25July 26, 2019 3:24 PM

Yes, I'm sure he tied her down, closed off her nose to force her to open her mouth and stuffed LSD in there.

Might he have pressured her? Sure. But unless she's trying to argue that she isn't mentally incompetent, he didn't force her to do anything.

Cary has been dead for 34 years, why dredge up this nonsense now?

by Anonymousreply 26July 26, 2019 3:30 PM

Her memoir was so insipid that it was almost unreadable. She referred to Alfred Hitchcock as “Alfred,” which no one ever called him. He was always known as “Hitch.” DC is either lying to create an intimacy that didn’t exist or she was too stupid not to realize the director hated being called “Alfred.” The chances are 50/50, but judging by how silly her memoir is, I’d place my bet on stupidity.

by Anonymousreply 27July 26, 2019 3:32 PM

Cary was a big LSD fan. He used it as a psychological tool. One of many things he did to address his mental unwellness. Not a happy man. Think he decide after tons of LSD in the 60s that sing a parent would be good - so he picked a naive woman to bear him a child then became a stay at home Dad. Dyan was a baby momma - don’t think there was much more to it.

She was huge for a while. Interesting to see how completely irrelevant she became post-1980.

by Anonymousreply 28July 26, 2019 3:58 PM

Well, at least she has one true cinema classic on her resume......

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 29July 26, 2019 4:05 PM

Can you imagine Carey Grant force-feeding you anything?

LOL

by Anonymousreply 30July 26, 2019 5:06 PM

[quote] His mother left him on the docks - as a boy - she got on a boat and sailed away. He instantly became an orphan. Totally on his own. I'm not sure how he even survived.

Utter fantasy. His doting, nervous mother was committed to an insane asylum when he was 9. He was told she died. His father got "remarried" and suddenly he was neglected or set free to roam. He gravitated towards the theater as a teen doing lighting, then acrobatics which took him to the U.S.

When his father died he was informed his mother was actually alive. 20 year old lie. He got her out of the looney bin and set her up in a house in her old neighborhood. Every year on her birthday he would have her driven around town in a Rolls.

And Cary had the good stuff, he had LSD25 when it was legal. And you dose someone, you don't cram down their throat, you slip it into a drink. Dyan's a looney.

I bet his daughter is pissed.

by Anonymousreply 31July 26, 2019 5:53 PM

OP, you are an idiot — but you're not alone, there are plenty of other idiots on this thread too. She has been nominated for an Oscar three times. And she's not only an actress but also a producer, director and screenwriter. Hardly a lightweight

by Anonymousreply 32July 26, 2019 6:12 PM

She lives at the Empire West in LA, the poor man's version of the Sierra Towers aka Shierra Towersch. Not only does she look like Madame (Wayland Flowers), she's about the same size.

by Anonymousreply 33July 26, 2019 6:17 PM

Dyan Cannon is a former conquest of Johnny Carson and The Lakers. As a sexy, charming, wild woman of secrets and sorrow, she is no Angie Dickinson.

by Anonymousreply 34July 26, 2019 6:18 PM

If you don't know Dyan Cannon's work, you are truly missing out. She is a true original who once had Hollywood's best body and definitely Hollywood's best laugh. She's required viewing. Where's her autobiography? I'd so be there.

by Anonymousreply 35July 26, 2019 6:21 PM

"Dyan made Cary sound like a critical fussy queen who drove her nuts"

Oh yeah, onscreen he was the suave, hilarious, sexy, and magnetic star, behind the scenes, he was neurotic, obsessive, and a pain in the rear. In one of his 1950s films, the costumers complained to the director, saying that Grant was driving them absolutely bonkers by obsessing over tiny little details of his wardrobe, such as whether his shirt cuffs stuck out 1/2" or 1/4" from his jacket. The director was surprised, and replied "But that's what we're paying for!". That's how Grant got a reputation as the best-dressed and most sophisticated man in films, by being a niggling pain in the ass behind the scenes.

And when he was old, he got so obsessed with thrift that he let his yard turn to dust and weeds to save the cost of a gardener, and his wealthy neighbors kept taking him to court or complaining to the city because he was dragging down their property values. No, if Cannon says he was a pain and a shitty husband, she is probably right.

by Anonymousreply 36July 26, 2019 7:46 PM

I'm always wondering how he came by that strange nasaly mid Atlantic accent. He was from Bristol in Somerset. I'm English and believe me the Somerset accent sounds nothing like that. It's a strong rustic accent like "ello there my luvver I be appy to zee you" it must have been totally invented.

by Anonymousreply 37July 26, 2019 8:10 PM

He was a total invention, from how he spoke to how he dressed. Just like Joan Crawford, he had to become someone else for the sake of a career. And just like Joan he probably didn't really know who he was when he was alone either. Maybe that's why he took drugs?

by Anonymousreply 38July 26, 2019 8:20 PM

DEATH TRAP

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 39July 26, 2019 8:20 PM

He was probably a chance like many people who are poor. I would not be shocked if he's been a gigolo early on to survive. Leeching on wealthy women. No doubt he married Hutton for this reason. Clark Gable did the same when young. Lots of actors start as whores.

by Anonymousreply 40July 26, 2019 8:24 PM

He was cheap AF, and so was Dyan. Look at her face. PS with a rusty tuna can.

by Anonymousreply 41July 26, 2019 8:32 PM

She isn’t attractive. Even when she was young I don’t think she was anything special to look at. Her biggest claim to fame is Cary Grant.

by Anonymousreply 42July 26, 2019 8:40 PM

90% of the Threads created on Datalounge are about boring. narcissistic, bisexual coward scum closet cases, or about talentless and overrated female whores like Madonna!

So in conclusion OP, these two fit my description. Nothing more to see or know here.

by Anonymousreply 43July 26, 2019 8:45 PM

Dyan had a really tacky look always. That hair, her nose, her eyes so far apart. She looks like a slutty Pekenese.

by Anonymousreply 44July 26, 2019 8:46 PM

In an army movie I saw he had that working class English accent. It is amazing how he was transformed to the Philadelphia Story aristocrat. Good for him. Though I doubt he was really a happy man.

by Anonymousreply 45July 26, 2019 8:48 PM

R14 and R35 are bisexual scum, so block them.

by Anonymousreply 46July 26, 2019 8:51 PM

R45 I doubt he ever spoke in screen in his original accent. I've heard him do cockney like in None but The Lonely Heart, and Silvia Scarlet. But I've never heard him speak with a Bristol accent.

by Anonymousreply 47July 26, 2019 8:54 PM

I wonder if he was ever a gigolo? Didn't Mae West "discover" him and put him in "She done him Wrong" ? Sounds like he may have been one of her boys.

by Anonymousreply 48July 26, 2019 8:58 PM

I gather he and Katharine Hepburn didn't like eachother, despite the onscreen chemistry.

by Anonymousreply 49July 26, 2019 9:00 PM

I keep asking this on DL and no one, NO ONE will answer me....IS THIS SO MUCH TO ASK???

Anyway, for decades I've believed that Dyan got pregnant via artificial insemination--and Cary had nothing to do with it--she just did it to trap Cary Grant into marriage. Did I hear this as a wee tyke from evil Rona Barrett, whose show I watched religiously, even as a ten-year-old? I mean, I did not MAKE THIS UP.

Any confirmations out there? Or was this rumor discredited ages ago?

HELP ME, DL!!!!!!

by Anonymousreply 50July 26, 2019 9:04 PM

It was kind of weird that he never fathered a child until he was in his 60s. I still think he was straight up gay.

by Anonymousreply 51July 26, 2019 9:06 PM

I just don’t get why he didn’t find somebody more beautiful or cultured to give him a child. She is so ordinary and vanilla. Not gorgeous and not talented. Just your typical starlet. Boring.

by Anonymousreply 52July 26, 2019 9:09 PM

He was gay, for Chrissake! Didn't y'all watch the Orry-Kelly doc on Netflix? Grant was gay and, appropriately for his era, desperately tried to run away from it like so many other gay men then. Not bi, G-A-Y!

by Anonymousreply 53July 26, 2019 9:10 PM

She did her own singing in Honeysuckle Rose.

This video's volume doesn't really pick up (at least for me) until 01:35, but I love this song, so here goes:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 54July 26, 2019 9:19 PM

He had such a happy, handsome, well-adjusted persona that it's difficult to imagine him being fussy and difficult and cheap and sad.

by Anonymousreply 55July 26, 2019 9:20 PM

R55 why? Most movie stars aren't the image they project in public.

by Anonymousreply 56July 26, 2019 9:31 PM

Why didn't he get on with Kate Hepburn??

by Anonymousreply 57July 26, 2019 9:32 PM

For fuck's sake, R50, Grant was married five times!

He may have been mostly gay, but he still had to know the kicking end of a vagina from the biting end.

by Anonymousreply 58July 26, 2019 9:53 PM

[quote]Why didn't he get on with Kate Hepburn??

Two closet cases trying to exist on the same soundstage.

by Anonymousreply 59July 26, 2019 9:55 PM

R59. I wonder if there was more to it.

by Anonymousreply 60July 26, 2019 10:04 PM

Kate adored Cary.

by Anonymousreply 61July 26, 2019 11:56 PM

R58, I know pussy too and I'm as gay as a three-dollar bill. 1. In those days stars didn't shack up, they got married. 2. He had an image to uphold. 3. He didn't want to be gay.

by Anonymousreply 62July 28, 2019 7:06 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!