Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Cricketer James Faulkner announces his relationship with boyfriend Rob Jubb

Australia cricketer James Faulkner celebrating his 29th birthday on April 29, made a big announcement. In his birthday post on Instagram, the cricketer shared a picture with his mother Roslyn Carol Faulkner and boyfriend Rob Jubb. Faulkner in his post mentioned that the two have been together for half a decade now. He though is not the first cricketer to have come out and announced a same-sex relationship.

Ever since the Legislation to allow same-sex marriage, the Marriage Amendment (Definition and Religious Freedoms) Act 2017, was passed by the Australian parliament, a lot of cricketers have got married to their partners. Faulkner has been in the relationship with Rob Jubb from last five years and seems like the two would’ve now decided to take the next big step with it thus making a public announcement.

He was delighted to spend the day with his loved ones and posted a picture from the dinner with his boyfriend and mother. “Birthday dinner with the boyfriend @robjubbsta and my mother @roslyn_carol_faulkner #togetherfor5years,” the caption read.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 103May 1, 2019 11:01 PM

Hmm judging by the comments it is the Indians who are obsessed with Cricket that are making such a big deal and are quite homophobic about it the others are quite happy for him.

by Anonymousreply 1April 29, 2019 7:06 PM

Hot couple

by Anonymousreply 2April 29, 2019 7:07 PM

Hott

by Anonymousreply 3April 29, 2019 7:13 PM

Is there something different about cricket that allows male stars to come out as gay? You don't really see that in other pro sports.

by Anonymousreply 4April 29, 2019 7:16 PM

[Quote] Is there something different about cricket that allows male stars to come out as gay? You don't really see that in other pro sports.

Yes. It sucks so no one cares.

by Anonymousreply 5April 29, 2019 7:20 PM

It’s for the elite

by Anonymousreply 6April 29, 2019 7:31 PM

With bae

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7April 29, 2019 7:32 PM

Jiminy!

by Anonymousreply 8April 29, 2019 7:40 PM

[quote] Yes. It sucks so no one cares.

[quote] It’s for the elite

Neither state is accurate. Cricket is more popular around the world than baseball and its popularity is certainly not limited to the elite classes. Between Indian and Pakistan it’s used almost as a proxy for war to diffuse tensions among the populations.

by Anonymousreply 9April 29, 2019 8:10 PM

[quote] With bae

What does that mean?

by Anonymousreply 10April 29, 2019 8:11 PM

Why are they eating in a jail cell?

by Anonymousreply 11April 29, 2019 8:13 PM

What a lovely way to come out. No fuss. Here is my boyfriend. Deal with it. Wishing them both happiness

by Anonymousreply 12April 29, 2019 8:18 PM

Very cute couple. I bet they have great sex

by Anonymousreply 13April 29, 2019 8:30 PM

[quote] Cricket is more popular around the world than baseball

Lol, damning with faint praise.

Sorry to disappoint, but the [italic]majority[/italic] of the world doesn’t give a heck about either of those sports. Cricket is not popular in Continental Europe or Central, Northern & Eastern Asia or South America, or most of Africa. The majority of the world don’t even have a clue about the basic rules of cricket.

Because it is BORING.

by Anonymousreply 14April 29, 2019 8:32 PM

R14 it is boring, but you are wrong about it’s popularity. Basically everywhere the brits (aka most of he world) colonised it’s a big deal. Cricket is popular and a big business even if it’s irrelevant where you live.

by Anonymousreply 15April 29, 2019 8:40 PM

And even if it was only big in the Indian subcontinent, that’s still over a BILLION people ffs. And believe me it is big. That’s all they wanted to talk to me about once they found out I was kiwi as many of the players in the Indian league are from New Zealand. Cricket and more cricket.

by Anonymousreply 16April 29, 2019 8:48 PM

It’s not popular in most of The world

by Anonymousreply 17April 29, 2019 8:49 PM

R17 by country numbers, maybe not, but by viewership and following, yes it really is. Americans don’t get it. It’s on a par with football (soccer to you) in terms of people.

by Anonymousreply 18April 29, 2019 8:58 PM

There’s a lot that Americans don’t get, R18. Yet we’re all supposed to be enthralled each time some obscure player for a college football (American football, that is) team comes out.

by Anonymousreply 19April 29, 2019 9:18 PM

Not really a contact sport, right? Maybe that's why it's easier to be out.

by Anonymousreply 20April 29, 2019 9:33 PM

5 years ? Wooow

by Anonymousreply 21April 29, 2019 9:41 PM

Great film about cricket is 'Lagaan', really shows what a bunch of cunts the British are, and how they used cricket to repress the inhabitants of the dot Indian continent

by Anonymousreply 22April 29, 2019 9:41 PM

They look like twins

by Anonymousreply 23April 29, 2019 9:43 PM

R23 I could've sworn they're twins

by Anonymousreply 24April 29, 2019 9:46 PM

IFHH

by Anonymousreply 25April 29, 2019 9:46 PM

[quote] how they used cricket to repress the inhabitants of the dot Indian continent

Dot Indian continent?

by Anonymousreply 26April 29, 2019 9:47 PM

The mom is serving up Lily Tomlin character realness.

by Anonymousreply 27April 29, 2019 9:53 PM

So instead of talking about an athlete who came out, we'll just argue about cricket?

by Anonymousreply 28April 29, 2019 10:07 PM

R28 New here?

by Anonymousreply 29April 29, 2019 10:10 PM

[quote] Basically everywhere the brits (aka most of he world) colonised it’s a big deal. Cricket is popular and a big business even if it’s irrelevant where you live.

“A big deal basically everywhere the Brits colonised”, R15? Pffft, what, like in the US, Canada, Hong Kong, Afghanistan, Iraq, Qatar, Brunei, Egypt, Jordan, Cyprus, Kenya, Nigeria, Gibraltar, Malta, etc? I’m sorry, but the British Empire was far more than just India and Oceania. The British Empire stretched over FIVE continents and the truth is the vast majority of the BE can’t even tell the difference between cricket and croquet - that’s how obscure cricket is.

Here’s a full list of countries that gained independence from the British Empire. Even a cursory look will tell one that the vast majority have no cricket culture at all and, with their rudimentary English skills, probably think “cricket” is just an insect.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 30April 29, 2019 10:43 PM

Preach it bro 🙌🏾

by Anonymousreply 31April 29, 2019 10:49 PM

Maybe not!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 32April 29, 2019 11:17 PM

lol. Is this like the girls I know who say they are out to dinner with the ‘wifey’?

by Anonymousreply 33April 29, 2019 11:23 PM

It would be fabulous to have the name Faulkner.

by Anonymousreply 34April 29, 2019 11:33 PM

It was a JOKE. At the expense of gays. Making fun of coming out is no laughing matter

by Anonymousreply 35April 29, 2019 11:36 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 36April 29, 2019 11:40 PM

Wow, what a douche

by Anonymousreply 37April 29, 2019 11:42 PM

Fuck him hes ugly anyway

by Anonymousreply 38April 29, 2019 11:45 PM

Did he backpedal because the bf wasn't ready to be out?

by Anonymousreply 39April 29, 2019 11:51 PM

So now that the matter of his boring sexuality is settled, R28 - can we please go back to the more entertaining debate about the megalomaniac British Empire and how obscure cricket is? TIA.

by Anonymousreply 40April 29, 2019 11:53 PM

Do they even play cricket in America ?

by Anonymousreply 41April 29, 2019 11:55 PM

R41 no americans play ⚾️

by Anonymousreply 42April 29, 2019 11:57 PM

What a drip

by Anonymousreply 43April 30, 2019 12:01 AM

Still more popular across the world than Baseball! Just deal with it my beautiful American Brothers and Sisters and drop the Anglophobic shit..

by Anonymousreply 44April 30, 2019 12:11 AM

R40, I'm not sure it's settled

by Anonymousreply 45April 30, 2019 12:14 AM

Oh, he's just the best friend, how anticlimactic

And now for the "can't two men just be best friends, why do you have to repress affectionate expression"

by Anonymousreply 46April 30, 2019 2:25 AM

And now it’s blown up as Cricket Australia defended him by saying that it was “just a joke” to which most people here are now responding, asking what’s so funny about pretending to be gay?

He’s since posted a carefully crafted follow up on Insta - damage control, anyone?

What a twat.

by Anonymousreply 47April 30, 2019 3:03 AM

Ohh so our so-called hero is actually a homophobe who loves to mock and ridicule gay men

by Anonymousreply 48April 30, 2019 5:24 AM

Are there any active gay cricket players then? The article in the OP says a lot of gay cricketers have married their partners, but the English is very sketchy, so.......

by Anonymousreply 49April 30, 2019 7:38 AM

[quote] The British Empire stretched over FIVE continents and the truth is the vast majority of the BE can’t even tell the difference between cricket and croquet - that’s how obscure cricket is.

R30 Wrong. There are 104 cricketing nations. Most of those (90+) are not full members of the sports association, but they participate.

The only part of the former British empire that doesn't know about cricket is the USA because it gained independence before the game fully developed, Cricket didn't catch on in Canada because of competition from baseball. It's not as well established in the Middle East but it's there and growing. Some Africa nations and the West Indies have local leagues and they field national or regional teams. As you mentioned, in South Asia (India, Pakistan, Sri Lanka, Bangladesh) and Oceania it's very popular. So it's not obscure at all.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 50April 30, 2019 8:11 AM

R30 re Afghanistan you may be surprised to know that, "On 22 June 2017, Afghanistan and Ireland became the 11th and 12th ICC full members, enabling them to play Test cricket."

Zimbabwe and South Africa are also full members of the International Cricket Council ("ICC").

Cricket does not seem to be very popular in Scotland.

by Anonymousreply 51April 30, 2019 8:42 AM

Here's the link.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 52April 30, 2019 8:44 AM

Cricket isn't boring, its a very subtle tactical game.

by Anonymousreply 53April 30, 2019 8:48 AM

But back to boyfriends James and Rob. The restaurant/prison pic looks like closeted boyfriends have one guest at the birthday and that guest is birthday boy's mom who 'knows' and who looks very awkward. Rob doesn't look that thrilled in the pic either. It may be that after dinner and posting the pic, James and Rob had second thoughts (no doubt after an argument) and so now we have all this back-pedalling. It is all rather tacky. And, I would add, I have never heard str8 'mates' refer to each other as 'boyfriend'. So will James Faulkner now re-announce his relationship with boyfriend Rob Jubb; or are they going to split over this announcement?

by Anonymousreply 54April 30, 2019 8:59 AM

He is deplorable just like Kevin Spacey who came out when exposed of showing affection to a minor. Faulkner is making fun of gays and gay Kevin Spacey using his coming out to limit the fall out of his pedo behaviour.

by Anonymousreply 55April 30, 2019 9:01 AM

So, they are just friends?

by Anonymousreply 56April 30, 2019 9:07 AM

The thing about cricket is its all about the state of the ball; at the beginning of the game it is smooth and bowls fast but as time goes on it becomes rough and starts to swing, this in turn affects the way the batsman hits the ball. A fast ball is easy but dangerous while swing is difficult to hit but not a lethal throw. The state of the turf as the game progresses is also a factor in the game.

by Anonymousreply 57April 30, 2019 9:09 AM

R56 Yes, and poking fun at gays. He should be blacklisted.

by Anonymousreply 58April 30, 2019 9:10 AM

Such a commotion.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 59April 30, 2019 9:11 AM

If they were a couple he wouldn't have explicitly said he's not gay.

I don't think he was necessarily poking fun at gays. More making reference to the fact it's pretty unusual for two straight men of their age to live together. He had nothing to gain from saying he's not gay. If he were in a relationship with his 'boyfriend', judging by the reception they got they'd be better off coming out.

by Anonymousreply 60April 30, 2019 9:12 AM

R60 James told the truth with the announcement the he and Rob are bfs. Now he's lying that he and Rob are business partners!

by Anonymousreply 61April 30, 2019 9:55 AM

Women commonly refer to their female friends as “girlfriends.” Why can’t dudes do the same?

by Anonymousreply 62April 30, 2019 11:39 AM

insensitive creep

by Anonymousreply 63April 30, 2019 11:54 AM

I want to scratch his eyes out for playing with my emotions.

by Anonymousreply 64April 30, 2019 12:16 PM

I don't understand how relatively wealthy people in sports and entertainment always seem to have roommates.

by Anonymousreply 65April 30, 2019 3:43 PM

Lol Cricket is played seriously in no more than ten “countries” (some are not really countries). .These are England (not a country), Australia, New Zealand, India, Pakistan, Sri Lanka, Bangladesh, South Africa, Zimbabwe and the West Indies (not a country, but includes several Caribbean island nations). Not only don’t most of the countries of the former British empire in Africa and Asia care about it, its not taken seriously in some of the other “home countries” of the U.K. like Scotland or in neighbouring Ireland. Also doesn’t exist, even as a niche hobby, on continental Europe.

Like the baseball “World Series” which really is just about US teams playing themselves, the cricket “World Cup” features these same teams with a little over 200 countries in the world not giving a fuck. But it has to be mentioned that the support in in the South Asian nations is fanatical and it is the number one sport in those four highly populated countries.

Finally confirmation that cricket is indeed extremely boring with test matches, especially, that last for days. Outside of South Asia, the sport is not growing but declining because of its boring, crusty archaic English rules.

by Anonymousreply 66April 30, 2019 5:53 PM

R55, Those... are not the same things.

I guess you just want to talk about Spacey. There's probably a thread or two on him around here.

by Anonymousreply 67April 30, 2019 6:42 PM

In terms of viewership, cricket attract more eyeballs than the superbowl. Albeit brown curry eyeballs

by Anonymousreply 68April 30, 2019 6:50 PM

29...? 29 what?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 69April 30, 2019 8:40 PM

I think he was gay all along, but backpedaled. Lives with a "housemate" for 5 years, takes him out to dinner with mom?

by Anonymousreply 70April 30, 2019 8:44 PM

I don't really buy the backpedalling either. I think a straight guy would be more careful to signal that it was a joke, e.g. labelling the guy "my platonic life partner".

by Anonymousreply 71April 30, 2019 8:49 PM

He should have written "my gardener".

by Anonymousreply 72April 30, 2019 8:51 PM

It's some hefty back-pedalling to explicitly deny being gay.

The denial is too strong. If they were actually gay, the media reaction had been too positive for it to make sense for them to have to deny it.

Yes, some famous people have denied being gay only to then come out later, but they tended not to be in supposedly open LTRs. I do genuinely think it's a case of people putting two and two together and coming up with five.

by Anonymousreply 73April 30, 2019 8:55 PM

But it was a random 'joke' for him to make, no?

by Anonymousreply 74April 30, 2019 9:03 PM

Supposedly open LTR? Where are you getting that from?

by Anonymousreply 75April 30, 2019 9:10 PM

Eh.. Luke Evans came out in print... Years later, he had a female PR friend of his give a quote to a newspaper that their "relationship" was in its early days...

by Anonymousreply 76April 30, 2019 9:12 PM

R75 People are suggesting they've been living openly as a couple for 5 years or so. They've actively refuted that to be the case. If they were indeed living together as a couple it would be a bit silly to deny it so strenuously.

by Anonymousreply 77April 30, 2019 9:13 PM

Ian Thorpe was very vocal a out not being gay. Ditto Colin Jackson. I think Marl Foster was too.

by Anonymousreply 78April 30, 2019 9:13 PM

Dirk Bogarde lived with his manager. It didn't stop Bogarde referring to him as the gardener while being interviewed.

by Anonymousreply 79April 30, 2019 9:15 PM

*Mark Foster.

by Anonymousreply 80April 30, 2019 9:16 PM

It's possible that he was referencing some personal joke between the two of them, or like someone else suggested, mimicking the way that women call each other "girlfriends", (which I find really annoying).

Some people don't realize that humour doesn't always translate into writing.

by Anonymousreply 81April 30, 2019 9:22 PM

But why would he call attention to his relationship in the first place if he's closeted? Celebrities who deny being gay don't 'joke' about having a boyfriend. I think he posted the pic without consulting the closeted boyfriend or his agent/manager and then had to issue a denial.

by Anonymousreply 82April 30, 2019 9:23 PM

Ever heard of cold feet?

by Anonymousreply 83April 30, 2019 9:35 PM

Do you put your mate in your Twitter profile pic?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 84April 30, 2019 9:38 PM

R84 I hope they are still happy together after this debacle.

by Anonymousreply 85May 1, 2019 2:01 AM

I await for the real coming out in a few years. Probably when retired.

by Anonymousreply 86May 1, 2019 3:46 AM

Athletes are very dumb and think the idea of being gay is a hilarious joke.

by Anonymousreply 87May 1, 2019 7:06 AM

They’re a couple - the denial is ridiculous

by Anonymousreply 88May 1, 2019 7:20 AM

R88 - I agree.

by Anonymousreply 89May 1, 2019 3:37 PM

For what it's worth I think he's gay. His father was a cricketer so would not be surprised if he grew up in a homophobic household. Not to mention he was playing twenty20 within Australia only a couple of months ago and probably hopes to go and play county cricket in England. Being publicly gay probably wouldn't go down so well and after the headlines of other Australian cricketers within the last fifteen months I'm sure Cricket Australia would not want any averse publicity. Yes like any sporting codes it's deeply homophobic. Also he might be hoping to go to the IPL (Indian t20 comp where the mega bucks are) and there is no way they would have an openly gay player.

A lot of cricketers do take the piss, like having theirs fingers touch each other in team photos, but some of them just give off vibes.

Then there was the incident where Chris Lynn almost outed Adam Zampa. Chris started going on about even though what he (Zampa) does in his private life he's still a good bloke and he was about to continue when the commentators deftly shut it down and changed topic.

by Anonymousreply 90May 1, 2019 4:25 PM

R90 You make me want to take up cricket!

by Anonymousreply 91May 1, 2019 4:58 PM

Interesting post. Thanks, r90.

Do you think the IG post was done with dutch courage after a boozy anniversary dinner? It's hard to deduce what his thinking was.

by Anonymousreply 92May 1, 2019 5:05 PM

It's possible he (stupidly) didn't think it would be picked up by the world at large. If he is indeed in a five year long relationship then all his family, friends and teammates are already going to know about it. If he's not and they're just friends, it might have come as a bit of a shock.

The strength of the denial leads me to believe it was something he hadn't given much thought to. If they are indeed boyfriends they might have been overwhelmed by the response. It is slightly amusing how all these public organisations came out gushing their support on social media but no-one actually bothered to contact the people involved.

by Anonymousreply 93May 1, 2019 5:15 PM

Unfortunately James, by IG, seems to have outed Rob against Rob's will. The IG pic seems to suggest that only James' mom knew (others, eg team mates, may have suspected).

by Anonymousreply 94May 1, 2019 5:20 PM

I don't find it at all amusing (I'm not up in arms either). The post wasn't funny. Even the pic had no humour to it. If it was a pic like Ronaldo being held aloft by that guy, I'd get the caption. Nothing about it radiates humour.

by Anonymousreply 95May 1, 2019 5:21 PM

R92 It was testing the waters in a glass closet. They both own a restaurant together, share a house together and have been living with each other for five years. They're both late twenties, early thirties and James through cricket would have at least racked up a 6 figure salary over the years (he did play first class cricket and represent Australia). Point being he isn't poor enough to need a flatmate.

If it was a piss take his mother wouldn't have been in the picture.

R93 Maybe, Maybe not. Though Cricket isn't like most sports. Often times they are only together for a short period of time then go to play in various other comps around the world or different formats. Teams change regularly and players are assembled from all different countries. Most aren't close with each other like contact sport games. He isn't part of the current Australian squad (which would require a significant amount of time together) and the t20 competition he plays in lasts eight weeks. Most of those games would have been played where he lives so he could go home whenever and not need team accommodation in hotels. Plus this year he would have been playing with a lot of new faces in his team and he missed quite a few games from the back half of the competition due to a bad knee, so would have spent even less time with his new team than usual.

by Anonymousreply 96May 1, 2019 5:25 PM

Yeah, I don't think it was meant as a joke or banter between mates.

by Anonymousreply 97May 1, 2019 5:25 PM

R96 thanks for the info. Haven't really followed cricket that closely. Are there any (rumoured) gay players? Preferably hot ones like KP and Freddie Flintoff.

by Anonymousreply 98May 1, 2019 5:36 PM

~ ~ ~

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 99May 1, 2019 7:05 PM

^Which one is he?

by Anonymousreply 100May 1, 2019 10:34 PM

The blond.

by Anonymousreply 101May 1, 2019 10:35 PM

So who’s the other guy?

by Anonymousreply 102May 1, 2019 10:46 PM

Marcus Stoinis

by Anonymousreply 103May 1, 2019 11:01 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!