Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Plant People: What is This?

It’s in my yard, I can’t tell if it’s creeping thyme or not. It died back over the winter and this is all new growth this month: I thought creeping thyme was evergreen (I’m in zone 6).

Thanks in advance.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 22April 25, 2019 11:15 AM

Henbit? Whatever, it's a weed. My yard is lousy with it!

by Anonymousreply 1April 24, 2019 9:25 PM

Eat it!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2April 24, 2019 9:27 PM

According to the tutorial below, henbit has a red stem, which OP's pic doesn't seem to show.

It's a fast read: Ground Ivy, Dead Nettle, Henbit. Three (easily mixed up) early spring plants.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3April 24, 2019 9:46 PM

Thanks all!

by Anonymousreply 4April 24, 2019 9:55 PM

So ground ivy it is. Gather it and cook it like spinach or broth.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5April 24, 2019 9:56 PM

It's in the mint family

by Anonymousreply 6April 24, 2019 9:59 PM

OP Take the picture to your local garden center. You know, the one with the swarthy guys lifting and toting mulch bags all day.

Someone there will know. For added fun, start by asking the hot and swarthy guys.

by Anonymousreply 7April 24, 2019 10:02 PM

Where do you dwell, OP? Knowing the area/region often helps with identification.

by Anonymousreply 8April 24, 2019 10:06 PM

Westchester County

by Anonymousreply 9April 24, 2019 10:07 PM

We called it cow weed growing up

by Anonymousreply 10April 24, 2019 10:11 PM

It's in my yard as well. Dies back in winter and comes back in spring

by Anonymousreply 11April 24, 2019 10:12 PM

Years ago I bought variegated pink catmint. When it returned the following year, the leaves weren't variegated, but that happens a lot. E.g., I have a pink marshmallow Veronica that came back just pink the following year - no white.

But now that I see this, I think what I have is pink deadnettle. Probably the catmint died and some pink deadnettle happened to grow there and I thought it was the catmint.

by Anonymousreply 12April 24, 2019 10:23 PM

Florida Betony

https://www.google.com/search?q=florida+betony&newwindow=1&rlz=1CAIEIT_enUS748US748&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjk_9eP6unhAhVMUt8KHSzTDTMQ7AkoAXoECAsQCw&biw=1536&bih=737

by Anonymousreply 13April 24, 2019 10:59 PM

Download PictureThis or PlantSnap. Take a pic and it comes up with the top choices that it might be, along with pics.

But it's definitely not a thyme of any sort...they have rounded leaves, not scalloped as in the picture.

by Anonymousreply 14April 24, 2019 11:54 PM

The Poisonous Plant. Do not touch.

by Anonymousreply 15April 24, 2019 11:56 PM

Creeping Charlie aka ground ivy. Perennial weed, rampant spreader. Tolerates shade better than bluegrass. Like all mints, loves damp soil. One of the top three most common lawn weeds (dandelion, creeping charlie, crabgrass).

by Anonymousreply 16April 24, 2019 11:59 PM

R8 We have it here too in Australia.

by Anonymousreply 17April 25, 2019 12:04 AM

R16 Former Master Gardener, I really want to plant creeping thyme on this “rockery,” where these weeds are located. Is it hard to grow from seed by sowing directly on soil? Everything I’ve seen on YouTube have people starting it indoors, I don’t have time for that!

by Anonymousreply 18April 25, 2019 12:19 AM

I just ordered a couple flats of 4" Wooly Thyme to fill in some bare patches in my garden. Some of it died back over the wet winter here in northern Calif.

by Anonymousreply 19April 25, 2019 12:22 AM

PS OP: you should have said you don't have thyme for that!

by Anonymousreply 20April 25, 2019 12:26 AM

I never had any luck with thyme. It always died back over winter and didn’t come back. You might try buying thyme from an online nursery or a garden center. I’ve never seen it in big box stores,

by Anonymousreply 21April 25, 2019 1:00 AM

Tangentially related:

I tried this. Avoid at all costs.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 22April 25, 2019 11:15 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!