Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Swoosie Kurtz

Even though she has probably the strangest name ever for an actor (that that, Benedict Cumberbatch!), this flamehaired siren of stage and screen never gets enough love on Datalounge. Why?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 82June 30, 2022 2:55 AM

As a young gayling she always reminded me of Barbara Walters.

by Anonymousreply 1April 18, 2019 1:22 AM

Do you think she's had any work done?

by Anonymousreply 2April 18, 2019 1:23 AM

If so, she needed more.

by Anonymousreply 3April 18, 2019 1:26 AM

Swoozie was in a lot of good movies, but almost always as a supporting character. She was just never a big star, as far as DL ignoring her. She's someone you forget exists and is still alive.

by Anonymousreply 4April 18, 2019 1:31 AM

I loved her first on Sisters, and was then surprised by how great she was as a very, very different character on Mike & Molly.

by Anonymousreply 5April 18, 2019 1:32 AM

I loved her on Mike and Molly and Dangerous Liaisons.

by Anonymousreply 6April 18, 2019 1:35 AM

New York Magazine used to have a contest feature where you had to submit entries for categories they'd create, and in the early eighties one of those categories was "PBS TV specials we'd like to see." The winning entry was "WHY WE HAVE SILLY NAMES: Koo Stark and Meryl Streep pose questions to Swoosie Kurtz."

by Anonymousreply 7April 18, 2019 1:37 AM

[quote] Even though she has probably the strangest name ever for an actor

She was named for her daddy's bomber. I thought everybody knew that.

This aircraft is the oldest surviving B-17 Flying Fortress and the only D model in existence. Originally named Ole Betsy, this B-17D participated in several bombing missions in the desperate weeks after Pearl Harbor. Later named The Swoose, it also served as a transport for the commander of Allied air forces in the Southwest Pacific, Lt. Gen. George Brett.

The Army Air Corps accepted this aircraft and assigned it to the 19th Bombardment Group at March Field, Calif., in April 1941. In May it participated in the first mass aircraft flight from the mainland U.S. to Hawaii. In September, the aircraft flew from Hawaii to the Philippines in the longest mass flight to date.

Within hours of the Pearl Harbor attack on Dec. 7, 1941, Ole Betsy flew on the first U.S. combat mission in the Philippines. During the following three weeks, it struck at the Japanese forces invading the Philippines. After transferring to Java, it continued to fly combat missions.

On Jan. 11, 1942, three Japanese fighters caused heavy damage to Ole Betsy -- but lost two of their own in the process -- during a running 35-minute engagement off the coast of Borneo. Maintenance personnel in Australia replaced the damaged tail with one from another B-17D, replaced the engines, and converted the aircraft into an armed transport. The new pilot, Capt. Weldon Smith, gave it a new nickname after a then-popular song about a half-swan, half-goose called the "Swoose."

In the spring of 1942, Capt. Frank Kurtz, the personal pilot for Lt. Gen. George Brett, took over The Swoose. (His daughter, famed actress Swoosie Kurtz, was named after the aircraft.) The Swoose traveled to forward air bases in the combat zone, and sometimes the crew had to man the guns against enemy fighter attack. The aircraft also set two point-to-point speed records and carried several famous passengers, including Lt. Commander Lyndon B. Johnson (future president of the United States).

Gen. Brett came back to the United States in the summer of 1942 and brought The Swoose with him. The aircraft was stripped of weaponry and unnecessary equipment, overhauled and used as his personal high-speed transport until he retired in late 1945. Remarkably, The Swoose had perhaps the unique distinction of being in operational service from Pearl Harbor to the end of the war.

The Smithsonian Institution accepted possession of The Swoose in the late 1940s and it remained in storage until the National Museum of the United States Air Force acquired it in 2008. After a complete restoration, The Swoose will be placed on display at the museum.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8April 18, 2019 1:49 AM

What is wrong with her face in Op’s Photo...yikes!

by Anonymousreply 9April 18, 2019 1:50 AM

I like her very much. Her memoir is very touching.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10April 18, 2019 1:56 AM

Adored her in Pushing Daisies.

by Anonymousreply 11April 18, 2019 1:59 AM

A fine Swoosie performance.....

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12April 18, 2019 2:01 AM

as Miss Rollings , this line from True Stories in 1986 has stuck with me ever since "It's like how hot dogs come in packs of 10, and buns come in packs of eight or 12 - you have to buy nine packs to make it come out even. "

by Anonymousreply 13April 18, 2019 2:05 AM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 14April 18, 2019 2:06 AM

R8 - thanks for that slice of cultural ephemera!

by Anonymousreply 15April 18, 2019 2:58 AM

In the top photo, she looks like a Talosian from Star Trek.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16April 18, 2019 3:09 AM

She's a semi-regular on that new-ish Matt LeBlanc sitcom (she plays his mother) and she's scarily thin.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17April 18, 2019 3:55 AM

Swooz's plastic surgery is horrifying (@ OP's photo).

This why she can't get no DL love.

by Anonymousreply 18April 18, 2019 4:01 AM

She's in Bubble Boy

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 19April 18, 2019 4:05 AM

Did she ever shave Jake’s hairy hole?

by Anonymousreply 20April 18, 2019 4:10 AM

r20: no, but he shaved hers.

by Anonymousreply 21April 18, 2019 4:19 AM

Saw her in The House of Blue Leaves with John Mahoney, they were both a revelation!

by Anonymousreply 22April 18, 2019 4:36 AM

She's the ginger Stockard Channing.

by Anonymousreply 23April 18, 2019 4:39 AM

She was sublime in LOVE SYDNEY

by Anonymousreply 24April 18, 2019 4:41 AM

She played Janice Vickery in the original Gamma Rays, eventually moving up into the roles of both Ruth and Tillie.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 25April 18, 2019 2:30 PM

Don't forget Scandal.....

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 26April 18, 2019 2:41 PM

Audie Murphy was the most decorated WWII hero. Just ask James Cagney. Her father was the most decorated Korean War hero. The battlefield is how you get ahead in Hollywood, except for the casting couch.

by Anonymousreply 27April 18, 2019 2:48 PM

I saw her years and years ago (1981 or '82) with Richard Thomas and Jeff Daniels in Lanford Wilson's "Fifth of July." She played Gwen, a budding country singer and her appearance with her "Will you look at that fucking sunshine" line brought down the house. I don't remember much else except that Richard Thomas was pretty hot looking then.

by Anonymousreply 28April 18, 2019 3:00 PM

She was great as a hockey player's wife in SLAPSHOT....

"Yea.....Johnny says you can only drink so much and screw so much......"

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 29April 18, 2019 3:30 PM

Doesn't get "enough love" because 25% of DLers must wack off daily over anything Kennedy/Bouvier, another 25% need to wack off posting about their instaho obsessions. Then we have the anti-trans skree skree trolls, and several poster who are now permanently lodged deep up Mayor Pete's ass, licking, licking. Finally, a good percentage who need to discuss ancient academy awards.

by Anonymousreply 30April 18, 2019 3:59 PM

You mean her Tony-winning role, r28?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 31April 18, 2019 6:43 PM

I've never heard people admit they watched "Mike and Molly" before. Fascinating.

by Anonymousreply 32April 18, 2019 6:50 PM

"cultural ephemera"

I like that term.

by Anonymousreply 33April 18, 2019 6:53 PM

Great character actress; mostly in smaller roles like Against all Odds, Liar, Liar, Citizen Ruth, and Cruel Intentions.

by Anonymousreply 34April 18, 2019 6:59 PM

Mike & Molly was funny proletariat shit for a few seasons. Nothing shameful.

by Anonymousreply 35April 18, 2019 7:03 PM

Closeted?

by Anonymousreply 36April 18, 2019 7:06 PM

Thank God....

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 37April 18, 2019 7:07 PM

I liked it in Fifth of July when Richard Thomas fell over and someone said:

"I told you he had a wooden leg."

And Swoosie's character said:

"Oh I just thought you meant he liked to drink a lot."

by Anonymousreply 38April 18, 2019 7:13 PM

She had a solid theater career, with two Tony awards and multiple nominations, before moving into film and TV

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 39April 18, 2019 7:14 PM

Wasn't there a famous NYC production of "Curse of the Starving Class" where she put together an entire fence on stage using her enormous forehead in place of a hammer? maybe I'm thinking of someone else.

by Anonymousreply 40April 18, 2019 7:18 PM

Here she is presenting the featured actress in a musical Tony to her future co-star in Pushing Daisies.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 41April 18, 2019 7:30 PM

I saw Swoozie in an elevator once. She little. Plus, she was wearing full leather in the summer.

by Anonymousreply 42April 19, 2019 11:51 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 43April 20, 2019 11:34 PM

one hell of a brow lift, omg

by Anonymousreply 44April 20, 2019 11:47 PM

I loved her as the opposing lawyer in Liar, Liar.

by Anonymousreply 45April 20, 2019 11:55 PM

She could use that bright shiny forehead to mine coal.

by Anonymousreply 46April 20, 2019 11:58 PM

She has no lips. It ages one and unless you’re the director you end up with the bithy roles

by Anonymousreply 47April 21, 2019 1:13 AM

Ohhh I loved her on SISTERS.

Speaking of SISTERS what ever happened to Julianne Phillips? Did she just quit acting and is living off her Bruce Springsteen divorce money?

by Anonymousreply 48April 21, 2019 1:14 AM

OP Have loved her forever. And ever, well since 'Love Sidney'. She is just the best. And thanks for the story of her name, poster. Very cool

And had zero idea 'House of Blue Leaves' was filmed, let alone on Youtube, but a wonderful surprise, thanks poster of that

Loved her as the whore in 'The World According To Garp', such a completely perfect cast

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 49April 21, 2019 1:40 AM

[quote]Speaking of SISTERS what ever happened to Julianne Phillips? Did she just quit acting and is living off her Bruce Springsteen divorce money?

She quit acting and later got into a relationship with TV producer Marc Gurvitz. They have a son together. I'm guessing that guy supports her. I wonder if Julianne laughed when rumors of Springsteen cheating on Patti came out. IIRC, a guy in New Jersey wrote in divorce filings that his wife had an affair with Springsteen and also another rumor was that Springsteen banged a 9/11 widow.

by Anonymousreply 50April 21, 2019 2:19 AM

thanks R50. She was my favorite Sister. I loved that show!

by Anonymousreply 51April 21, 2019 2:23 AM

[quote] What is wrong with her face in Op’s Photo...yikes!

[quote] After a complete restoration, The Swoose will be placed on display at the museum.

I think Swoosie also tried a "complete restoration" a few years back....it didn't go so well.

by Anonymousreply 52April 21, 2019 2:26 AM

I've always loved Swoosie, and it's certainly not my place to judge a 76 year-old character actress for getting plastic surgery. But the refresh she got for 'Call Me Kat' made me gasp. As long as she's happy, that's all that matters. I just hope she doesn't end up dying from another refresh like Joan Rivers.

by Anonymousreply 53January 5, 2021 3:16 PM

I didn't refer to her as Swollen Cuntz for nothing

by Anonymousreply 54January 5, 2021 3:22 PM

God, saw that horrible picture and was afraid she was the latest dead, not dead actress.

by Anonymousreply 55January 5, 2021 3:31 PM

A comparison with Stockard Channing is apt. They're contemporaries, and both have extensive theatre backgrounds. I'm sure they've both been considered for the same roles a number of times.

Why has Channing had a bigger profile career in film and TV (and arguably, on Broadway)? Kurtz has never had a role comparable to 6 DEGREES OF SEPARATION or even Rizzo in GREASE. I think Kurtz is very funny and a strong dramatic actress, though we've rarely gotten to see that.

PS: I love Stockard, too. I'm just wondering.

by Anonymousreply 56January 5, 2021 3:33 PM

We’re they competing muses for John Guare, or fought for favoritism from him?

by Anonymousreply 57January 5, 2021 3:37 PM

I remember Swoozie from that dreadful Mary Tyler Moore variety show.

by Anonymousreply 58January 5, 2021 3:41 PM

Koosie Skwurtz

by Anonymousreply 59January 5, 2021 3:50 PM

[quote]R8 She was named for her daddy's bomber.

Flattering.

by Anonymousreply 60January 5, 2021 3:51 PM

LOVE SWOOSIE! Got to work with her in the late 1990s and she was sweet, smart and thoroughly professional. Is she still working? Haven't heard anything about her for years.

by Anonymousreply 61January 5, 2021 3:52 PM

Well, she has a name that Liza can actually pronounce correctly.

by Anonymousreply 62January 5, 2021 4:52 PM

We were watching the new sitcom "Kat" and when she appeared on the screen the dogs ran from the room in terror! She must have gone to MTMs plastic surgeon.

by Anonymousreply 63January 5, 2021 4:57 PM

My husband calls that show FAT.

by Anonymousreply 64January 5, 2021 5:08 PM

Best known as Ellie on As The World Turns. She had to fight Meredith and Carol for Tom Hughes's affections.

by Anonymousreply 65January 5, 2021 5:14 PM

I can't believe how thin she is. She was never this skinny. Is she ill? Does she have an eating disorder?

On the series she did with Tony Randall, she looked to be of normal weight.

by Anonymousreply 66January 5, 2021 5:24 PM

[quote]this flamehaired siren of stage and screen never gets enough love on Datalounge. Why?

If you knew Swoosie like I know Swoosie ...

by Anonymousreply 67January 5, 2021 5:27 PM

OP- Swoosie Kurtz is NOT as strange a name for an actress as NANA VISITOR from Deep Space Nine.

by Anonymousreply 68January 5, 2021 5:51 PM

let's make a list of what all we think has been done: brow lift, cheek implants, nose job, breast implants, neck lift, and...?

by Anonymousreply 69January 8, 2021 10:18 PM

She has the look, the appearance and the mannerisms of abrasive, entitled, upper middle class, white frau cunts from the suburbs. Could never stand this bitch.

by Anonymousreply 70January 8, 2021 10:22 PM

She's also game for ridiculously delightful material like this. And fellow DL fave Faye Dunaway is just as fun. In fact, everyone in this scene is fucking hilarious.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 71January 8, 2021 11:01 PM

She's also game for ridiculously delightful material like this. And fellow DL fave Faye Dunaway is just as fun. In fact, everyone in this scene is fucking hilarious.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 72January 8, 2021 11:01 PM

I loved her in Liar Liar as the opposing lawyer.

by Anonymousreply 73January 9, 2021 12:26 AM

She's sort of an older version of Judith Ivey who also has a lengthy career on stage, screen and TV. In some of those quirky comedies of the late 80's I use to confuse the two.

by Anonymousreply 74January 9, 2021 1:11 AM

Judith Ivey doesn't have a bolted on pair of bodacious ta tas R74

by Anonymousreply 75January 9, 2021 6:21 AM

I love her

by Anonymousreply 76June 30, 2022 2:00 AM

Her uncle went nuts in Viet Nam. They made a movie about it.

by Anonymousreply 77June 30, 2022 2:15 AM

It's only a small supporting role, and it isn't the showiest, either. But I loved her getting drunk and high with Miss Dunaway in "The Rules Of Attraction". I especially love the way she flips her hair in response to Dick's "Well, FUCK YOUUU!!!"

Side Note: If I had been the costume designer, I would've put Sommerholder in a nice pair of expensive briefs. He was a fucking model, for Chrissakes!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 78June 30, 2022 2:18 AM

Her scene with Faye Dunaway is the best thing about Rules of Attraction.

by Anonymousreply 79June 30, 2022 2:19 AM

Sosie Bacon would like a word, OP.

by Anonymousreply 80June 30, 2022 2:22 AM

I just showed HOUSE OF BLUE LEAVES to a friend who hadn't seen it, and it confirms Swoosie Kurtz's brilliance in every way. Wonderful that this exciting staging of a great play was preserved (even without a couple of its original cast members).

My only live encounter with Miss Kurtz was an oddity -- one of Charles Busch's benefit readings of AUNTIE MAME. As delightful as many people were that evening (not just Busch himself -- Marian Seldes and Lucie Arnaz were also outstanding), the greatest of all was Swoosie Kurtz as Agnes Gooch. God bless her, she'd worked out a thoroughly realized characterization, complete with quirky physicality and voice, and she was side-splittingly funny.

by Anonymousreply 81June 30, 2022 2:44 AM

Swoosie Kurtz got top billing on "Sisters"

Sisters

Starring

Swoozie Kurtz

by Anonymousreply 82June 30, 2022 2:55 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!