Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

DL fave Julia Duffy's son commits suicide

Julia is married to original Dark Shadows actor Jerry Lacy. Loved her on Newhart & Designing Women. Sending my prayers!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 61April 9, 2020 2:08 PM

LOL, oh dear god, look at the ad that plays when you click on that link about the star's son jumping off bridge. "Celebrity Flora" and a shot of flowing water. Bad choice.

by Anonymousreply 1April 12, 2019 12:16 AM

So sad. I hate that. Poor guy to have reached his limit, and a mom to know that's what happened to her son.

I've liked her in the various things I knew her from - as you said - Designing Women, Newhart, etc.

by Anonymousreply 2April 12, 2019 12:20 AM

He really wanted to make sure he wouldn't survive. Very sad.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3April 12, 2019 12:20 AM

Lacy is best known for playing Humphrey Bogart

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4April 12, 2019 12:21 AM

This is horrible. Did anyone here know him? What happened?

by Anonymousreply 5April 12, 2019 12:22 AM

Lacy is best known for playing Humphrey Bogart

Heresy! Lacy is best known as Reverend Trask on Dark Shadows, last seen being walled alive by vampire Barnabas Collins!

by Anonymousreply 6April 12, 2019 12:43 AM

Lacy was also on Y&R back in the day.

by Anonymousreply 7April 12, 2019 12:45 AM

I thought i read somewhere that the Lacy’s had an autistic son.

by Anonymousreply 8April 12, 2019 12:50 AM

Obituary:

August 19, 1989 - April 5, 2019 Danny (May) Lacy is survived by loving parents, Julia Duffy and Jerry Lacy and devoted sister Kerry Lacy. Danny was considered one of the funniest students of the Agoura High School class of 2007, and went on to make a career in comedy, acting, animation and writing. Danny appeared in several TV movies and created, wrote and designed all the characters as well as voicing several of them in the animated series Crack-Duck, a Mondo Media show that aired on Adult Swim and still draws millions of viewers online. In addition to acting and voice-over work, Danny co-authored and illustrated the book At Least You're Not These Monsters, and was well known to improv audiences as a graduate of Second City, The Groundlings, and UCB improv programs. In lieu of flowers, the family requests donation to NAMI.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9April 12, 2019 12:59 AM

Jerry Lacy was also Rick Latimer on "Love of Life," which I remember my mother watching when I was a kid.

by Anonymousreply 10April 12, 2019 1:02 AM

Oh that is terrible. I’m really sorry for them. And Danny, too.

by Anonymousreply 11April 12, 2019 1:19 AM

NAMI donations means mental health issues.

by Anonymousreply 12April 12, 2019 1:29 AM

So sad. Julia also was on the soap the doctors and barnabas walling up Trask was one of the best episodes ever. Trask was evil.

by Anonymousreply 13April 12, 2019 1:45 AM

Just saw this after thinking about Julia Duffy and Googling her. I am sure it is devastating to the Family. I always thought Julia very appealing and wish she had found more good acting vehicles.

by Anonymousreply 14April 22, 2019 1:18 AM

Very sad for his family. RIP

Julia always made me laugh. Love her.

by Anonymousreply 15April 22, 2019 1:26 AM

It's been a rough few years for '80s sitcom actresses vis-a-vis their offspring.

Dinah Manoff's very cute 19-year-old son was killed in a car accident on his way to college.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16April 22, 2019 1:26 AM

He was cute.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17April 22, 2019 1:29 AM

She played the mother on LOOKING

by Anonymousreply 18April 22, 2019 2:17 AM

Has anyone contacted Bobbie Gentry?

by Anonymousreply 19April 22, 2019 2:32 AM

I'm a strummin' an' a strummin' on my gee-tar right now y'all working out them chords!

by Anonymousreply 20April 22, 2019 3:54 AM

It sounds like he was a talented guy. RIP.

by Anonymousreply 21April 22, 2019 3:56 AM

[quote]She played the mother on LOOKING

At the same time Peter Scolari did Full-frontal nudity on [italic]Girls[/italic].

by Anonymousreply 22April 22, 2019 4:12 AM

Very sad.

by Anonymousreply 23September 6, 2019 3:59 AM

He jumped from 40 stories up. Parked his car on the bridge, went around the barrier fencing and jumped.

A vehicle presumably belonging to Lacy was found abandoned in the eastbound lane on the bridge. Stagecoach Road, which winds down the canyon below the bridge, also was shut down.

The Cold Spring Bridge is one of the highest arch bridges in California, with its roadway deck some 400 feet above the canyon floor.

After dozens of suicides from the bridge since it first opened to traffic in 1963, Caltrans in 2012 completed barrier fencing on both sides of the span. Despite that, several people subsequently have jumped from the bridge.

by Anonymousreply 24September 6, 2019 4:07 AM

I wonder how long it takes to fall 40 stories and what was going on in his head during that time.

by Anonymousreply 25September 6, 2019 4:09 AM

I didn't know this happened. Terrible. He was cute.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 26September 6, 2019 4:43 AM

This is so darling.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 27April 6, 2020 5:49 AM

Two of my favorite actors of all time. Jerry met Julia on Love of Life when he played Rick and she played a drug addict friend of Stacy's. Gerri. Her character was 16 but she was 21 in real life and when Jerry realized that, he pursued her. She was so great as Penny on The Doctors and she deserved an Emmy for Newhart (she kept losing to Rhea Pherlman). Jerry was another actor who had chemistry with every actress he played with - Nancy Barrett and Lara Parker on DS, Sally Stark and Deb Courtney on Love of Life and Victoria Mallory on Y&R.

So sad for them. Julia's take as the cancer stricken mother on Looking was so damn good.

by Anonymousreply 28April 6, 2020 5:56 AM

My heart aches. It aches for Julia Duffy and her family. It aches for people struggling with mental illness. It aches for parents who have to mourn the loss of their children. My heart just aches.

by Anonymousreply 29April 6, 2020 6:03 AM

He looks nothing like her. Adopted?

by Anonymousreply 30April 6, 2020 6:08 AM

It was the fifth of April, another balmy, smoggy Cali day.

I was animating stop-motion and my brother was feelin' gay.

And at dinner time we stopped and walked back to the house to eat.

And Julia hollered out the back door, "y'all remember to send the Datalounge a tweet!"

And then she said, "I got some news this mornin' from Santa Ynez

Today, Danny Duffy Lacy jumped off the Cold Spring Bridge."

by Anonymousreply 31April 6, 2020 6:14 AM

I didn’t realise it’s the one-year anniversary of his death. His mother offered a lovely remembrance of him on Twitter.

Bonus: observing her Twitter feed briefly, she’s also anti-Trump.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 32April 6, 2020 6:14 AM

And Jerry said to Julia, as he passed around the hummus with chickpeas

"Well Danny never had a lick of sense, pass the kale chips, please

There's five more boys in the bookstore dirty I've got to plow"

And Julia said it was a shame about Danny, anyhow

Seems like nothin' ever comes to no good up on Stagecoach Road

And now Danny Duffy Lacy's jumped off the Cold Spring Bridge.

by Anonymousreply 33April 6, 2020 6:21 AM

Poor guy. He was really cute.

by Anonymousreply 34April 6, 2020 6:27 AM

And Julia said to me, "Kerry, what's happened to your appetite?

I've been cookin' all morning and you haven't touched a single bite

That nice young Caltrans rep, Kelly Hoover, dropped by today.

Said she'd be pleased to contact NAMI, oh by the way

She said she saw a girl that looked a lot like you up on Stagecoach Road

And she and Danny was throwin' somethin' off the Cold Spring Bridge."

by Anonymousreply 35April 6, 2020 6:30 AM

[quote] I wonder how long it takes to fall 40 stories and what was going on in his head during that time.

First question:

Assuming each story is 4.5 meters tall, 10 stories are 45 meters in height. Acceleration due to gravity is 9.81 ms^-2. Assuming your initial velocity is 0, we can use the equation s = ut + 0.5at^2, where u is the initial velocity, a is acceleration due to gravity, t is time, and s is displacement. The mass doesn't matter here, as gravity acts on all objects equally.

s = ut + 0.5at^2

45 = 0 + 0.5*9.81*t^2

t^2 = 45/(0.5*9.81)

t = 3.02891266408

It would take approximately 3 seconds

Second Question:

𝑰 𝒄𝒉𝒂𝒏𝒈𝒆𝒅 𝒎𝒚 𝒎𝒊𝒏𝒅

by Anonymousreply 36April 6, 2020 7:46 AM

Sad. I was wayyy too young when Newhart was in production, but I watch it on DECADES. Man, the supporting characters on that show were hilarious. She, Scolari and the bartender from the first season--can't remember the actor, Poston.

by Anonymousreply 37April 6, 2020 9:16 AM

R16, That would make him Lee Grant's grandson.

by Anonymousreply 38April 6, 2020 9:22 AM

Jerry Lacy had a famous commercial for Mitchum anti-perspirant back in the day in which he was lying in bed showing his gloriously hairy chest and proclaimed he hadn't put on his deodorant that day, and might not put any on tomorrow. (You had to be there.)

by Anonymousreply 39April 6, 2020 1:29 PM

R39, Unfortunately, not Jerry, but the same ad campaign.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 40April 6, 2020 1:51 PM

Jerry also did a commercial for Right Guard.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 41April 6, 2020 1:54 PM

what are the chances that DL would have simultaneous running threads about Duffy, the singer and Julia Duffy , the actor?

by Anonymousreply 42April 6, 2020 1:59 PM

Care to start one about Rep. Sean Duffy?

by Anonymousreply 43April 6, 2020 2:04 PM

we can bump a "Dallas " thread and discuss Patrick Duffy

by Anonymousreply 44April 6, 2020 2:10 PM

Yes, Julia Duffy is a Democrat. Unlike Dixie Carter and Delta Burke.

by Anonymousreply 45April 6, 2020 2:11 PM

R33 and R35 , I HOPE YOU GET YOUR KARMA .

by Anonymousreply 46April 6, 2020 2:21 PM

"The mass doesn't matter here, as gravity acts on all objects equally."

I'm no mathematician, in any sense of the word, but do you mean to tell me that if I drop an anvil off of a 40-story building, and a feather off the same building, from the same height, they will BOTH hit the ground at the exact same time?

by Anonymousreply 47April 6, 2020 2:49 PM

The feather will not but the reasons it doesn't have nothing to do with its mass.

by Anonymousreply 48April 6, 2020 2:58 PM

[quote]Yes, Julia Duffy is a Democrat. Unlike Dixie Carter and Delta Burke.

Pretty sure Dixie can't vote anymore. Unless she's registered in Chicago.

by Anonymousreply 49April 6, 2020 3:06 PM

That's sad, OP, and didn't know it. RIP, young man. Not everyone who comes from advantageous situations is given an easy path. The opt out certainly wasn't and indicates a great deal of pain. May all beings be happy. May all beings find peace. May all beings be free.

by Anonymousreply 50April 6, 2020 3:08 PM

The list of children of celebrities suicides is long.

by Anonymousreply 51April 6, 2020 8:32 PM

I've been below that bridge, and on it. The area is beautiful. So sad to hear he committed suicide there. Sad for Julia.

by Anonymousreply 52April 6, 2020 8:50 PM

R46, lighten up.

Datalounge is a great place for aspiring songwriters to showcase their talents.

by Anonymousreply 53April 9, 2020 6:05 AM

Can someone explain why a DLer would rewrite the lyrics to a famous 1960s song to commemorate the one-year suicide of celebrity's little-known son?

That's tougher to solve than a Rubik's Cube.

Also, Dixie Carter may be the only Republican I've ever adored.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 54April 9, 2020 6:19 AM

[quote]Can someone explain why a DLer would rewrite the lyrics to a famous 1960s song to commemorate the one-year suicide of celebrity's little-known son?

Because we can???

by Anonymousreply 55April 9, 2020 10:46 AM

A year's come and gone since we heard the news about Danny Lacy

And brother animated Crack-Duck and sold it to Adult Swim

There is a virus going round and Pink caught it this spring

And now Idris Elba doesn't seem to want to do much of anything

And me, I spend a lot of time picking flowers up on Stagecoach Road

And drop them into the muddy water off the Cold Spring Bridge.

by Anonymousreply 56April 9, 2020 10:58 AM

R56 lame attempt

by Anonymousreply 57April 9, 2020 11:02 AM

Whoever you are, "Bobbie Gentry," you're a talented writer. Hope you make a living at it.

by Anonymousreply 58April 9, 2020 11:11 AM

No, Julia Sugarbaker, God is a Democrat.

by Anonymousreply 59April 9, 2020 11:45 AM

Julia Duffy’s memory about finding a bong in the glove compartment of the kid’s car was sweet and funny.

by Anonymousreply 60April 9, 2020 1:47 PM

R60 If you think it's funny to have a child who is a DRUG ADDICT!!!!!

by Anonymousreply 61April 9, 2020 2:08 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!