Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Tasteful Friends - WTF Faye Dunaway

Hello there, Tasteful Friends, I need to vent for a moment. I've something to get off my chest. I have a very strong love for the Eldorado in NYC. I feel the same way about the Eldorado as I'm sure many Catholics feel about the Vatican. To me, it is hands down the best building in Manhattan. Over the years I've looked at all the exterior photos and real estate listings I can. There's this one apartment at the base of the south tower that had some horrible renovation long before the Landmarks Preservation Commission was in effect. The original windows were removed and replaced with what can only be described as awful, mass-produced, suburban windows. Nowadays you can ONLY replace the original windows with near exact steel reproductions. Yesterday I found out that the monster who renovated that apartment was Faye Dunaway. Love her, but come on, she ruined the face of one of the most beautiful buildings in the world. But ruining faces is kind of Faye's modus operandi.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 57May 11, 2019 8:38 AM

Who the hell would want this?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1April 8, 2019 11:56 PM

Amazing that the building approved those incongruous windows.

by Anonymousreply 2April 9, 2019 12:00 AM

When originally there was something like this...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3April 9, 2019 12:02 AM

Faye is nuts. Don't we know that by now????

by Anonymousreply 4April 9, 2019 1:08 AM

OP, I'm bumping your thread. There's not enough outrage here.

Faye has destroyed the city.

by Anonymousreply 5April 9, 2019 11:44 PM

That is like smearing red paint across the pyramids at Giza. Like knifing the Mona Lisa.

by Anonymousreply 6April 9, 2019 11:48 PM

Don't cry out loud, OP.

Just keep it inside, and learn how to hide your feelings.

by Anonymousreply 7April 10, 2019 12:22 AM

But what if he falls, r7?

by Anonymousreply 8April 10, 2019 12:23 AM

That apartment is trapped in the 70s.

by Anonymousreply 9April 10, 2019 12:25 AM

Thish ish sho shcandaloush I could shpit!

by Anonymousreply 10April 10, 2019 12:43 AM

She felt entitled to ruin the facade of a building that thousands of people see every day

by Anonymousreply 11April 10, 2019 1:18 AM

But wait... she also had that rent control apartment on the UES that she recently lost. When did she ruin this one?

by Anonymousreply 12April 10, 2019 1:24 AM

She didn't have enough money for proper windows.

by Anonymousreply 13April 10, 2019 1:24 AM

How many places are going to be considered ruined like this with all this open concept shit.

by Anonymousreply 14April 10, 2019 1:25 AM

Take a look at her teeth. She has taste for shit.

by Anonymousreply 15April 10, 2019 1:26 AM

When it comes to Faye, you usually can't look at anything but her teeth. She did this renovation in 1969.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16April 10, 2019 1:45 AM

Well, she tore down that BITCH of a bearing wall and put a window where it OUGHT to be.

by Anonymousreply 17April 10, 2019 1:54 AM

She should never have Dunaway with the original windows.

by Anonymousreply 18April 10, 2019 1:57 AM

Talk about needed reparations

by Anonymousreply 19April 10, 2019 1:58 AM

Wow, those are some long teeth.

About the windows, she probably thought the original framed panes blocked the view and wanted no obstructions.

That's like like painting shorts on the statue David, giving Jesus a haircut, or drawing mustaches on the faces in The Raft of the Medusa by Théodore Géricault. Simply blasphemous. Doesn't anyone have any respect anymore?

by Anonymousreply 20April 10, 2019 2:13 AM

The rent-controlled Upper East Side walk-up drama.

Wherever she hangs her hat is home, if it means cheaper rent.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 21April 10, 2019 2:18 AM

There is a weird solution to the problem of the older windows "blocking" the views. When the interiors of the windows are painted white, they almost totally disappear. The black really makes you notice the window and not what's beyond it. When they're white inside you really notice the views.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 22April 10, 2019 2:19 AM

Paula McDonald is fabulous. She runs a Manhattan design/build firm and does regular YouTube videos of her work. They very high quality renovations to prewar apartments and the videos are much more professional than your standard YouTube channel. Here's a clip of her after renovating Meredith Viera's apartment in this same building. She has gut renovated many apartments in the building and several can be seen on her channel.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 23April 10, 2019 2:23 AM

the landmarks commision was headed by a foreigner, educated overseas,for years.

by Anonymousreply 24April 10, 2019 2:27 AM

R17.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 25April 10, 2019 2:37 AM

I lived on her street before the rent-controlled fiasco and I would stop in at the bodega on the corner and the owner would love to tell me about all the times she would call shrieking about some order she’d need delivered “right away”. One time she was on the phone when I was there - I could actually hear her voice, that’s how loud she was talking (demanding?) - and when he hung up it was like he’d just seen a ghost. Amazing.

by Anonymousreply 26April 10, 2019 2:47 AM

For most of my life I'd only ever seen her in Dunston Checks In with her, Paul Reubens and Rupert Everett. Rupert Everett and his orangutan check into a luxury hotel owned by Faye. When the orangutan gets loose she hires exterminator Paul Reubens.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 27April 10, 2019 2:50 AM

Faye Checks Out (when her rent-control scam is exposed)

by Anonymousreply 28April 10, 2019 2:54 AM

Will someone please scold her in public? And ask for monkey’s contact info....

by Anonymousreply 29April 10, 2019 2:56 AM

At least that movie was better than [italic]Ed[/italic]. Did everybody from [italic]F(r)iends[/italic] make a pact to make the worst movies their agents could find them in the summer of 1995 after their unprecedentedly horrible show inexplicably (other than white racism and Greek and Italian Mafia influence) became a hit?

by Anonymousreply 30April 10, 2019 4:32 AM

Faye's to-go order was wrong at an LA restaurant, and she pulled up in her car and threw the bag against the glass front door and peeled out.

by Anonymousreply 31April 10, 2019 5:16 AM

R31 Well, that is funnier than Dunston Checks In.

by Anonymousreply 32April 10, 2019 5:21 AM

WHAT IS THE FISH OF THE DAY?

by Anonymousreply 33April 10, 2019 5:26 AM

It's even worse from this angle. I would've assumed there was some kind of damage, and this was there while a new set of windows was about to arrive.

How did you find out Faye did this?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 34April 10, 2019 5:28 AM

I stumbled upon the photo in r1 in a Google image search and immediately knew exactly what I was looking at. Then I searched Google for Faye Dunaway Eldorado and found additional photos to confirm. Those windows have stuck out at me for a decade. I just Googled again and apparently Charles Gwathmeys firms is still advertising his work on this apartment 50 years after the renovation and 10 years after his death. It manages to look so terribly 80s but it was 1969.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 35April 10, 2019 5:42 AM

Ron Howard's more Tastefully renovated full tower floor apartment in the building.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 36April 10, 2019 5:47 AM

I love Paula's renovations. She does love her radiator covers

by Anonymousreply 37April 10, 2019 5:59 AM

Oh r37. She does. And her drawers that wrap around pipes.

by Anonymousreply 38April 10, 2019 6:04 AM

The wrap-around drawers were ingenious. One of those "why has nobody ever thought of this" moments. I guess the cutting must be custom for each installation & that puts it in a narrow price bracket. I've always hated the "fake top two drawers" of most vanities.

by Anonymousreply 39April 10, 2019 6:16 AM

OP here. Again. Gotta say. Kyra Sedgwick and Kevin Bacon were forced to sell everything except their Eldorado apartment when they lost their life savings to Bernie Madoff. They said they got through the difficult times by just having lots of sex because it was free.

by Anonymousreply 40April 10, 2019 6:17 AM

I'll admit they're ingenious. They seem frau-ish to me. I just imagine the nightmare scenario of needing just those extra few inches of storage space because some woman has cluttered up every little inch of a vanity. My mother would love it.

by Anonymousreply 41April 10, 2019 6:23 AM

Oh I just realized Faye blew out the damn walls!

How did the condo board not put a stop to this? My condo board & management office is full of prison wardens. Every vendor (aside from "the help") needs to be registered with a certificate of insurance, statement of work, and possible approval from the board if it involves any common elements. Windows are all classified as partial common elements (we've had window drama - though nothing like this).

by Anonymousreply 42April 10, 2019 6:23 AM

Granted it was an unthoughtful and selfish renovation that never should have been approved but I love this apartment. Open with great views and light. It reminds me abit of Ralph Lauren’s 5th ave apartment.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 43April 10, 2019 6:39 AM

It slightly reminds me of this place across the park in Brooke Astor's building. A long time ago someone did a fantastic ultramodern renovation of an apartment in an exquisitely traditional building and it's perfection.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 44April 10, 2019 6:48 AM

R44. Yes this apartment is the way to live nowadays in those grand co-ops.

by Anonymousreply 45April 10, 2019 6:59 AM

Fenestration. I'd never thought that topic would appear on DL!

I love how the NY Times says basically that the rental agent wouldn't be making any reference to Miss Runaway as the target audience wouldn't know who she was!

by Anonymousreply 46April 10, 2019 7:10 AM

The renovation was done by Charles Gwathmey, a disciple of the great french architect Le Corbusier. Miss Dunaway was the FIRST to use him for a private apartment, thus paving the way for him to become the darling of people in the biz. She felt his work had a softness to it, a lot of curves that she thought were sculptural and beautifull and yet had a density to it as well.

The perfect surounding to look for Gatsby,her sanity ore grand an interview....

NEW YORK November 20, 1987 -- Her arms swinging, cigarette in hand, Faye Dunaway cuts across the flagstone floor of her New York apartment, the spikes of her high heels exploding like they were rigged with firecrackers. The apartment, which looks out over the reservoir from high up on Central Park West, is spacious, cluttered, lived-in. It's decorated (by Charles Gwathmey), but not in grand palais diva-style regal. It's more Milanese modernismo. Cassette tapes are scattered everywhere. Bowie. The Pretenders. Suzanne Vega. It looks like what it is: a place where a woman lives with her kid. Still, it provides Dunaway with plenty of runway for takeoff.

Faye Dunaway likes to make an entrance. And those strides of hers eat up a lot of ground. Before hitting her mark, though, there's a brief flourish offstage, a gargle of voices, a ruffling of the curtain, and then ... CLICK!CLICK!CLICK!CLICK! ... there she is, wearing a bright scarlet miniskirt and matching jacket, standing in front of the sofa.

"You're in my seat, kiddo!"

Faye Dunaway isn't your ordinary, everyday, garden-variety star. Dunaway is like a force of nature, a nimbus of temperament, a hurricane. Emotions -- big emotions -- pour out of her. Drama pours off of her. There's drama in the way she lights a cigarette -- which she does repeatedly, one after another -- drama in the way she laughs (head thrown back, the sound somewhere between a cough and a burst from a machine gun -- hoarse, robust, full of nervous intensity). Just sitting there on the sofa she's dramatic.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 47April 10, 2019 10:28 AM

Thanks for the read r47. It's a shame she couldn't stay longer. I can't imagine getting evicted from a 1k/mo rent controlled apartment and meanwhile your old apartment that you bought for pennies in the 60s is now easily worth $10 million dollars.

by Anonymousreply 48April 10, 2019 11:11 AM

Easy too clean when those two were done partying.

Helga

...who left for being shouted at after she mopped strange lines of white dust off the glass table

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 49April 10, 2019 3:52 PM

From article at r47 -

[quote]"In those movies," Dunaway says, "I think people could have said, 'Where is she in this? What does this have to do with her?' At the time I thought, 'I don't know what I'm doing here. There's nothing of me here. It's not who I am.'”

Meanwhile, costar Rutanya Alda releases a memoir detailing how loathsomly selfish and self involved FD was to work with!

by Anonymousreply 50May 11, 2019 6:10 AM

Actually r50 Faye doesn't come across that bad in those diaries of Alda's. Alda just exaggerates it all for interviews. I read the book and Faye had a few ego trips but nothing major. (What is interesting though is how in the chapters on The Deer Hunter Alda never even mentions M. I'm guessing she may have been a bit jealous of the future Best Supporting Actress nominee for the film that wasn't her.)

by Anonymousreply 51May 11, 2019 6:16 AM

To be fair, Courtney Love first spotted and circled this error, years ago.

by Anonymousreply 52May 11, 2019 6:21 AM

When she was married to Peter Wolf she used to sit in a dark corner of the Ritz bar drinking and drugging herself into oblivion, smoking a thousand cigs a day. You could smoke in bars back then, they didn't pretend they were health clubs.

by Anonymousreply 53May 11, 2019 7:09 AM

Where is/was the Ritz bar?

by Anonymousreply 54May 11, 2019 7:36 AM

Downtown Boston, R54. It doesn't exist anymore. The hotel/condo buildings were sold and re-named The Taj or something equally godawful. I went to that Ritz my whole childhood and I wouldn't be caught dead there now.

There's a Four Seasons across the street. It's perfectly acceptable.

by Anonymousreply 55May 11, 2019 7:51 AM

Those choppers at R16. I never noticed them before. Why, Faye, why?

by Anonymousreply 56May 11, 2019 8:33 AM

R9 - Just like the men of Data Lounge.

by Anonymousreply 57May 11, 2019 8:38 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!