Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Jakub Józef Orliński, countertenor

Who's his boyfriend?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 68December 9, 2022 12:33 AM

absolutely stunning performance

..thanks OP

by Anonymousreply 1April 8, 2019 2:50 AM

His tone is gorgeous, and he’s cute...but a pianist accompanying in flip flops?? That guy must be burned at the stake, I’m afraid.

by Anonymousreply 2April 8, 2019 3:44 AM

I love that video -- his voice and technique are amazing, to say nothing of his calves! That said, I have been stalking him on instagram for a while and I have the distinct impression that he might actually be straight.

by Anonymousreply 3April 8, 2019 6:11 AM

As long as I can't [italic]hear[/italic] the flip-flops, r2...

by Anonymousreply 4April 8, 2019 7:59 AM

He's very handsome, he can sing, the song is beautiful but that weird unnatural shakira / pompous douche-type of typical opera use of voice is such a turn-off and makes me cringe.

by Anonymousreply 5April 8, 2019 8:09 AM

Jakub Józef Orliński, 28

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6April 8, 2019 8:16 AM

I was watching this exact video yesterday, OP, and wondering how long it would take for DL to catch on.

by Anonymousreply 7April 8, 2019 8:41 AM

The video where he recounts the making of the one posted by OP. Radio station France Musique hit it big with this one. Can they monetize their YT views?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8April 8, 2019 8:44 AM

Opera singer Jonathan Beyer of The Skating Lesson is much more handsome.

by Anonymousreply 9April 8, 2019 9:01 AM

BUMP

by Anonymousreply 10April 8, 2019 12:35 PM

I hate the sound of countertenors. too high to be pleasing.

by Anonymousreply 11April 8, 2019 12:59 PM

And he's a GG fan, r9.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12April 8, 2019 1:03 PM

I don't like the sound either (although his is effortlessly pleasing), and give me a mezzo anytime, but this guy is a regular Adonis.

by Anonymousreply 13April 8, 2019 2:11 PM

I'm delighted to see responses to my post, pro and con. I love the sound myself, and know the countertenor voice is not to everyones taste. The contrast between Jakub's otherworldly voice and the scruffy appearance I find especially delightful.

Jakub also breakdances and while It's great to see his spin and agility, his breakdance videos make me wince a little. Not that they are "culturally appropriating" but he's not as good as African-American dancers. And they seem pandering in an "I'm just a regular dude" way. Had he been voguing I would likely feel otherwise.

I now tend to think he's straight. But he really is beautiful .

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 14April 8, 2019 3:38 PM

What a gorgeous voice and performance.

That said, I'm so happy the countertenor golden age seems to be over. There's only so much one can take of that sound

by Anonymousreply 15April 8, 2019 4:28 PM

[quote] Jakub also breakdances and while It's great to see his spin and agility, his breakdance videos make me wince a little. Not that they are "culturally appropriating" but he's not as good as African-American dancers.

I thought you were going to link to an Onion story

by Anonymousreply 16April 8, 2019 4:29 PM

OP's video is the first time I’ve seen a pianist using an iPad.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17April 8, 2019 5:13 PM

The reason Orlinkski and the pianist are dressed so casually in OP's clip is that they were initially told they would be performing for a radio broadcast. No one told them there would be an audience until they arrived, so they decided to wing it. It's been viewed 3.7 million times since it was posted on youtube. He's a big star.

by Anonymousreply 18July 29, 2019 1:56 PM

R11 I concur in part, but say they have their place in pieces only they can do.

Ombra mai fu is one aria I think is best sung by a countertenor. While I prefer alto's and mezzos , some countertenor's do it justice.

I will submit for you consideration:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 19July 29, 2019 4:50 PM

Also:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 20July 29, 2019 4:52 PM

He's Polish so even if he were gay, he would be in the closet his entire life.

by Anonymousreply 21July 29, 2019 4:57 PM

According to an article in the New Yorker, he says he had an American girlfriend he just broke up with.

by Anonymousreply 22July 29, 2019 4:58 PM

^How sad.

by Anonymousreply 23July 29, 2019 5:12 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 24July 29, 2019 6:09 PM

Falsetto!

Gimme Lawrence Brownlee!

by Anonymousreply 25July 29, 2019 6:41 PM

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 26July 29, 2019 6:42 PM

It would be hot to see him impaled on the very large cock of Jarrett Ott.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 27July 29, 2019 8:08 PM

[quote]Opera singer Jonathan Beyer of The Skating Lesson is much more handsome.

Thank you Dave Lease for letting us know about your crush on Jonathan even though you're already partnered. So have you two fucked already?

by Anonymousreply 28July 29, 2019 8:13 PM

Jarrett Ott has a long cock?

by Anonymousreply 29July 29, 2019 8:16 PM

Orlinski? That’s Polish, isn’t it?

by Anonymousreply 30July 29, 2019 8:18 PM

Great voice, love his hair/look.

by Anonymousreply 31July 29, 2019 10:03 PM

R15 Modern countertenors have a warmer tone.

Benjamin Britten seemed to deliberately give an icy, supernatural sound to his countertenor back in 1960.

(nevertheless I can still enjoy this particular opera after many listenings)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 32July 29, 2019 11:28 PM

^. R32 Oh dear, that's the wrong video

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 33July 29, 2019 11:30 PM

I love this thread one of the reasons I keep coming to DL.

by Anonymousreply 34July 29, 2019 11:53 PM

He's good, and hot! Counter-tenor is the voice that replaced castratos, they are better with their balls hanging low in a hot summer in France.... But I prefer Andreas Scholl, who is a bit older. Here singing the "Cum dederit delectis suis somnum" (psalm 127) from Vivaldi's "Nisi Dominus", with the Australian Brandenburg Orchestra (2000).

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 35July 30, 2019 2:47 AM

Qui est Vivaldi?

Antonio Lucio Vivaldi (4 March 1678 – 28 July 1741) was an Italian Baroque musical composer, virtuoso violinist, teacher, and priest. Born in Venice, the capital of the Venetian Republic, he is regarded as one of the greatest Baroque composers, and his influence during his lifetime was widespread across Europe. He composed many instrumental concertos, for the violin and a variety of other instruments, as well as sacred choral works and more than forty operas. His best-known work is a series of violin concertos known as the Four Seasons.

Many of his compositions were written for the all-female music ensemble of the Ospedale della Pietà, a home for abandoned children. Vivaldi had worked there as a Catholic priest for 1 1/2 years and was employed there from 1703 to 1715 and from 1723 to 1740. Vivaldi also had some success with expensive stagings of his operas in Venice, Mantua and Vienna. After meeting the Emperor Charles VI, Vivaldi moved to Vienna, hoping for royal support. However, the Emperor died soon after Vivaldi's arrival, and Vivaldi himself died, in poverty, less than a year later.

by Anonymousreply 36July 30, 2019 2:51 AM

was Vivaldi a gay priest? only a gay male can wear such a bouffant...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 37July 30, 2019 3:05 AM

The New Yorker article introduced me to him. Does seem like he's "working" the beautiful guy, regular dude break dancer, great body, got-my-balls-and-like-my-women persona. But nice that "serious music" gains ground in the popular media. Agree that Scholl's voice is more appealing....

by Anonymousreply 38July 30, 2019 3:19 AM

[r29] Yes, there pictures online for a while but they were taken down quickly along with a video of someone riding his cock (facing away from the camera).

Very pretty dick - 8 1/2 maybe, thick, cut

by Anonymousreply 39July 30, 2019 4:37 AM

[29] Big and pretty. There were pictures and a video floating around but they were taken down pretty quickly.

by Anonymousreply 40July 30, 2019 1:54 PM

That is a good question. I was wondering that last month. He's very talented, hope he doesn't let the "buzz" get to his head. Priorities! And it's always about the work. Great stage presence, the talent is there.

by Anonymousreply 41July 30, 2019 2:10 PM

That is why he lives in NYC, R21.

by Anonymousreply 42July 30, 2019 3:04 PM

OP and R3, you need to see him live and then recount your experience.

by Anonymousreply 43July 30, 2019 3:06 PM

Thankfully the countertenor trend seems over.

There’s only so much Handel and Vivaldi one can take.

Let’s go back to Mezzos singing those roles

by Anonymousreply 44July 30, 2019 3:29 PM

I agree r44! I am sick of the whole small voiced trend. My ex was a recording engineer and he always said that the smallish voices recorded the best. When David Daniels shot to stardom, I thought it would be a few years but his career lasted a lot longer than many of us predicted. It will be interesting to see if his career picks up again if indeed he’s found not-guilty

by Anonymousreply 45July 30, 2019 5:58 PM

If you want to hear him and see him in the flesh this is his performance schedule.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 46July 30, 2019 6:59 PM

Countertenors are lazy and generally voiceless baritones. Any passable baritone can sing in falsetto. It’s an extremely easy technique.

by Anonymousreply 47July 30, 2019 7:04 PM

Got it in one, R47. Any baritone that can carry a tune can sing in a nice falsetto. I actually don't think this guy's technique is all that great. His tone is full, his pitch is great, but that fading rolling vibrato at the end of every phrase sounds incredibly amateurish.

He is really cute though.

by Anonymousreply 48July 30, 2019 7:12 PM

R45 I'm not sure what you mean by you being sick of the whole small voiced trend despite your ex saying they record the best?

by Anonymousreply 49July 30, 2019 10:07 PM

I love to hear full voices and had many disappointing experiences hearing the new “it” singer live only to be disappointed when their voices sounded nothing like their debut CD. I added that my ex found “smallish” voices much easier to record. He had heard Tebaldi in person and said it sounded incredible live. This was over 20 yrs ago. I am sure that recording techniques have improved greatly.

by Anonymousreply 50July 31, 2019 3:26 PM

He’s dreamy.

by Anonymousreply 51July 31, 2019 3:29 PM

He's dreamy.

by Anonymousreply 52July 31, 2019 7:32 PM

R50 I get the impression that recording techniques can change almost everything.

by Anonymousreply 53July 31, 2019 10:38 PM

A good recording engineer can take the best parts from each take and knit them together to make a perfect recording.

by Anonymousreply 54July 31, 2019 10:51 PM

Generally, voices that read small in large venues like opera houses and symphony halls record much better. For example, the current reigning heroic tenor Jonas Kaufman’s voice sounds baritonal and absolutely huge on recordings, whereas in the Met he is frequently swamped by the orchestra in all the repertoire he sings. He’s much more suited to the smaller European halls, and even there he can have trouble being heard. Renee Fleming is also an example of a small well produced voice that records perfectly, but can have trouble with audibility outside of her core repertoire. Tiny mosquito voiced Juan Diego Florez = the same.

by Anonymousreply 55August 2, 2019 8:03 PM

He’s good buds with Jon lol

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 56January 19, 2021 3:51 PM

Yes. Yes, I would.

by Anonymousreply 57January 19, 2021 4:17 PM

Wonderful performance. Weeping.

by Anonymousreply 58January 19, 2021 4:18 PM

According to his dilated pupils and wasting face, Meth might be his boyfriend.

by Anonymousreply 59January 19, 2021 4:20 PM

[quote]According to an article in the New Yorker, he says he had an American girlfriend he just broke up with.

It must have been when she found out he was a castrato.

by Anonymousreply 60January 19, 2021 4:20 PM

R45 - I've been wondering what's up with David Daniels - not a word in the press. Has it gone to a trial yet?

by Anonymousreply 61January 19, 2021 7:24 PM

Cenk Karaferya is another hot countertenor. Short, muscly and manly - you should check him out, definitely my type!

by Anonymousreply 62January 19, 2021 7:26 PM

'Counter-tenor' to me just says, "I robbed a part from a Contralto ;)"

by Anonymousreply 63December 9, 2022 12:05 AM

Lovely. Any cock pics?

by Anonymousreply 64December 9, 2022 12:21 AM

[quote]but a pianist accompanying in flip flops?? That guy must be burned at the stake, I’m afraid.

What is the date?

by Anonymousreply 65December 9, 2022 12:30 AM

R64 No but he's very lucky in that department, so I've been told by an eye-witness. Still not a fan. Very nice voice though.

by Anonymousreply 66December 9, 2022 12:31 AM

Oh, and he's not gay. Not closeted, just not gay.

by Anonymousreply 67December 9, 2022 12:31 AM

r8 I would gently place my penis in his mouth and proceed to slap it around and around.

by Anonymousreply 68December 9, 2022 12:33 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!