Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Canada, the UK, Ireland, Australia, and New Zealand

It kind of amazes me that there are these other countries across the oceans where everyone speaks the same language that we speak. They have their own parallel universes — their own movies, TV shows, magazines, newspapers, famous people, etc.

We can go to those places and they speak the same language — minus some slang.

Do they ever think how great it is that they can come to America and find it super easy to get around?

There aren't any other countries like that, are there? Where they speak the same language and can come to America and get around — right?

Do they see America as their leader? Their capital nation? Their sibling or something?

It really is kind of sci-fi. They just pop up, so similar to us.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 116November 28, 2019 4:28 AM

Oh, grow up! Not everything is about the USA.

by Anonymousreply 1April 5, 2019 3:10 PM

[quote]There aren't any other countries like that, are there? Where they speak the same language and can come to America and get around — right?

Francophone countries, Spanish-speaking countries, German-speaking countries...

[quote]Do they see America as their leader? Their capital nation?

This should end well.

by Anonymousreply 2April 5, 2019 3:11 PM

OMG it's called genocidal colonization.

R2, he means other countries where they speak English. South Africa maybe.

by Anonymousreply 3April 5, 2019 3:12 PM

South Africa. They speak English there.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4April 5, 2019 3:14 PM

Netherlands

by Anonymousreply 5April 5, 2019 3:22 PM

We think America is a gun toting, incestuous, redneck, wasteland of dangerous, ingrained cultural elitism that doesn't allow fair or free education or healthcare.

Anymore questions?

by Anonymousreply 6April 5, 2019 3:24 PM

I hope this thread is sarcasm. It made me fucking cringe.

If this is for real OP is definitely the type of person who doesn't own a passport.

by Anonymousreply 7April 5, 2019 3:25 PM

OP are you currently smoking weed?

by Anonymousreply 8April 5, 2019 3:26 PM

R4, that map isn't accurate.

by Anonymousreply 9April 5, 2019 3:26 PM

This is how Australians see Americans...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10April 5, 2019 3:27 PM

Actors from those countries are pleased that they can come to LA and make it big.

by Anonymousreply 11April 5, 2019 3:29 PM

R5 is right. They speak American English. Swedes too.

by Anonymousreply 12April 5, 2019 3:30 PM

Duh: Spain. They've got a whole continent (minus Brasil) and part of a continent all speaking Spanish.

Amazing, huh?

by Anonymousreply 13April 5, 2019 3:36 PM

R13, Spanish-speaking people can't come to America and just navigate every aspect of American society.

by Anonymousreply 14April 5, 2019 3:37 PM

R13, It’s amazing. Almost like sci-fi, even!

by Anonymousreply 15April 5, 2019 3:37 PM

It's like Star Trek w/o the high-tech translation devices. You can go across the world (galaxy) and they'll speak the same language.

by Anonymousreply 16April 5, 2019 3:40 PM

Of course we see America as our leader. So much culture. Absurdly low crime rate. So much sartorial magnificence.

This has to be a troll thread or OP is a pre-teen who has never travelled.

by Anonymousreply 17April 5, 2019 3:40 PM

^^^ Or someone trying to horn in on Five Eyes.

by Anonymousreply 18April 5, 2019 3:42 PM

The guys are much hotter in Australia though.

by Anonymousreply 19April 5, 2019 4:13 PM

Bryce Thompson - S. Africa. Much hotter than any Australian.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 20April 5, 2019 4:17 PM

R20 too veiny.

by Anonymousreply 21April 5, 2019 4:38 PM

DL’s sarcasm meter is malfunctioning if anyone thought this was a serious post.

So many earnest, lecturing frauen on this thread?

Jaysus!

by Anonymousreply 22April 5, 2019 4:53 PM

Bless OP never having heard of the Commonwealth.

by Anonymousreply 23April 5, 2019 5:00 PM

India, Pakistan, The Philippines, Nigeria, Singapore, Hong Kong...

by Anonymousreply 24April 5, 2019 5:08 PM

This has to be an intentional taunt. The majority of Canadians are very grateful that they're not American.

by Anonymousreply 25April 5, 2019 5:40 PM

I'd say most of the English-speaking world looks anywhere but towards America.

Even Canada looks toward the UK or France and they're right on your fucking doorstep.

by Anonymousreply 26April 5, 2019 5:43 PM

Well gee shucks y’all, who'da thunkit that y’all non-amurricans can speak that there engerlish!

by Anonymousreply 27April 5, 2019 5:47 PM

Cancer causing windmills! They're everywhere!

by Anonymousreply 28April 5, 2019 5:54 PM

R28 wins.

by Anonymousreply 29April 5, 2019 5:57 PM

[quote]Do they ever think how great it is that they can come to America and find it super easy to get around?

No, Rose. They think they’ll need years of study to speak American.

by Anonymousreply 30April 5, 2019 5:58 PM

Ireland is missing and other English speaking nations such as Sierra Leone and many Caribbean countries. You can thank former British imperialism, not waining American influence

by Anonymousreply 31April 5, 2019 6:03 PM

R20 I checked his insta. He's very bland and basic looking.

by Anonymousreply 32April 5, 2019 6:08 PM

R31 Missing from what, you stupid cunt? It's in OP's fucking thread title.

by Anonymousreply 33April 5, 2019 6:10 PM

R31, Ireland is in the title of the thread.

by Anonymousreply 34April 5, 2019 6:10 PM

R32, is he a wealthy model?

by Anonymousreply 35April 5, 2019 6:11 PM

Is OP John/PMBT who has previously shown weird fascination with those countries?

by Anonymousreply 36April 5, 2019 6:21 PM

Andy Cohen and Anderson Cohen intelligence sharing is called Three and a Half Eyes.

by Anonymousreply 37April 5, 2019 6:24 PM

That guy in the subway should have been thrown off.

by Anonymousreply 38April 5, 2019 8:11 PM

R37 made me laugh.

by Anonymousreply 39April 5, 2019 8:14 PM

John PMBT lives in Toronto

by Anonymousreply 40April 5, 2019 8:55 PM

We think Americans are arrogant cunts.

by Anonymousreply 41April 5, 2019 9:28 PM

[quote]Do they see America as their leader? Their capital nation? Their sibling or something?

Oh please, my sides!

by Anonymousreply 42April 5, 2019 9:32 PM

[quote]Of course we see America as our leader. So much culture. Absurdly low crime rate. So much sartorial magnificence.

LOL, I see someone's never been gainfully employed before.

by Anonymousreply 43April 5, 2019 9:35 PM

America is seen as the lumbering cousin with learning difficulties you keep away from children because he's unsafe.

by Anonymousreply 44April 5, 2019 9:36 PM

The bloke on the train in Sydney is working us way around Australia, pissing people off.

If the dumb fuck had done any research before he brought his missionary routine here he would have discovered that the numbers of people following any Christian religion in Australia are at an all time low and are only going to continue to fall. Also, that Australians, like pretty much anyone, don’t like being lectured to by stupid loud Americans on how to live our lives.

by Anonymousreply 45April 5, 2019 9:44 PM

Canada is "across the oceans" from us? Is OP Miss Teen South Carolina?

by Anonymousreply 46April 5, 2019 9:51 PM

[quote]America is seen as the lumbering cousin with learning difficulties you keep away from children because he's unsafe.

But he also protects you and determines your foreign policy. lol

by Anonymousreply 47April 5, 2019 9:52 PM

^^^ Oh and has also won far and away the most Nobel Prizes, pretty spiffy for "learning disabilities."

by Anonymousreply 48April 5, 2019 9:53 PM

We have a case of an OP responding, poorly, to his own post. Sad

by Anonymousreply 49April 5, 2019 9:58 PM

Why on earth would we see America as our leader? how bizarre!

by Anonymousreply 50April 5, 2019 10:45 PM

What about Five Eyes, R50?

by Anonymousreply 51April 5, 2019 10:49 PM

OP here's a serious answer:

Here in Britain America is partly seen as glamorous, as that is where Hollywood is, where a lot of film and TV is made, and there's a big music industry that we consume, and partly looked down on for having rampant gun crime and insufficient gun control, for being overly guided by religion in matters of government etc. (obviously some places are extremely religious others more secular), for having no free health service, and having Trump as a president.

Collectively, we look at you with a mixture of excitement at the perceived glamour and the scale of the country, and snobbishness at the perceived gaucheness and crassness of a lot of Americans - I say perceived, this is not true for many people but there is just enough truth to maintain that perception - as in the stereotype of Americans abroad.

There is also a perception that Americans are less intelligent than Brits, but I think that's probably our own exceptionalist tendencies at work - there's no point comparing a hillbilly with an Oxford Don, nor a Princeton professor with your average 'Britain First' nationalist. But I also think that there is a greater strain of anti-intellectualism in your country than in ours - hence your current President.

by Anonymousreply 52April 5, 2019 11:02 PM

Your snobbish shows mostly with the " your average 'Britain First' nationalist"comment.

by Anonymousreply 53April 5, 2019 11:07 PM

snobisshNESS damn it

by Anonymousreply 54April 5, 2019 11:07 PM

Not sure about 'protects' R47 - the US helped to drag us into war with Iraq, despite the will of the British people, and as for 'determines foreign policy' - it is US repeated violent intrusions into other countries that causes people to see it as unsafe, lumbering around the world.

by Anonymousreply 55April 5, 2019 11:08 PM

Cuntiest cunt that ever did CUNT!

by Anonymousreply 56April 5, 2019 11:10 PM

Tony Blair sold out the UK and the Labour Party.

by Anonymousreply 57April 5, 2019 11:11 PM

No R53 - snobbish would have been to compare a hillbilly with, for example, an uneducated person who lives on a council estate - I did not do that as I'm not classist and I hate the stigmatisation of poverty and stereotyping of social housing residents. You can't choose where you were born or how much money you have, but you can choose whether to join a facist racist orgnaisation.

The anger that leads people in that direction may be connected of course, I believe that the poorest and most economically marignalised were abandoned under New Labour and further abandoned under the Tories, and worse than abandoned in fact.

Nevertheless, Britain First is a facist organisation and it doesn't really help the discussion to pretend that it isn't. Snobbishness doesn't come into it in that regard.

by Anonymousreply 58April 5, 2019 11:15 PM

No one considers the US to be their leader. We do everything possible to be the exact opposite.

by Anonymousreply 59April 6, 2019 12:34 AM

What about it R51?

by Anonymousreply 60April 6, 2019 12:49 AM

Isn't the US the leader of the Five Eyes?

by Anonymousreply 61April 6, 2019 12:51 AM

No R61. Why would you think that? This link describes the situation. It doesn't sound like there's a hierarchy, and the US is actually listed last:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Five_Eyes

by Anonymousreply 62April 6, 2019 12:59 AM

So, I'm flying from a southern country to Vancouver Canada in June with no direct flights. And this time, managed to avoid doing what I dislike so much - having to go through the USA. This time, it's through Toronto, and returning from another city on another airline via Mexico City.

That's how much I detest this country (USA) - I try not to even spend any time there on a layover, yet alone, visit it.

By the way, what are the current statistics of foreign visitors flocking to the great United States of America?

For many Americans, including at this site, you have absolutely no comprehension how disliked you truly are. Yet alone, to see yourselves as the leader of the free world. You aren't free - you're repressed and exploited.

I realize this thread is a mockery of displaying the naivety/ignorance of many Americans, but, unfortunately, it's also too close to the truth.

by Anonymousreply 63April 6, 2019 2:58 AM

What R63 said. I recently transited through the USA on the way to Canada. The difference between the immigration experience in LAX and that in YVR was striking - and I’ve been travelling to both countries since I was a child.

LAX - bullying and stupid Immigration and Customs “officials” who have probably never traveled beyond Southern California, exercising the only power they’ve ever had in their lives. Standard 90 minute wait to get processed.

YVR - young, friendly, smiling and INTELLIGENT immigration officials standing at podiums saying “Welcome to Canada! Are you skiing? Happy Christmas! Have a great trip!”. From bag collection to kerb side. 15 minutes max.

And yes, I know about 9/11 - might be time for a new excuse for your shitty Immigration and Emigration / TSA goons.

by Anonymousreply 64April 6, 2019 7:58 AM

England, as the mother country, is the leader.

by Anonymousreply 65April 6, 2019 8:15 AM

R65 Well said!

by Anonymousreply 66April 6, 2019 8:21 AM

The Queen is mother to us all.

by Anonymousreply 67April 6, 2019 8:27 AM

R67 Well said.

by Anonymousreply 68April 6, 2019 8:48 AM

We don't envy Americans anything and all the pro-gun bullshit that's spread all over the web by 'Muricans ever since we banned semi automatics just confirms that sentiment.

by Anonymousreply 69April 6, 2019 10:08 AM

US is the protector the English speaking countries and Trump our leader. Thank god

by Anonymousreply 70April 6, 2019 10:17 AM

R64, US immigration officials are more testy than Canadian ones because they have to deal with a bigger HORDE of people trying to cram into the US than Canada. If you’re a Brazilian fashion model - you want to move to NYC. If you’re an aspiring British actor - you want to move to LA. If you’re a Chinese techie - you want to move to Silicon Valley. The sheer number of people trying to cram into those cities / regions...

Even more international tourists visit the US than Canada. So just like street-traffic controllers on busy streets and intersections, US Immigration officials are worn out and cynical about this endless HORDE of people.

by Anonymousreply 71April 6, 2019 10:34 AM

[quote] Standard 90 minute wait to get processed [at LAX].

My non-EU friends said 1 - 2 hours was standard at Heathrow in London. 1.5 hours is long but not unusual for big, busy airports.

by Anonymousreply 72April 6, 2019 10:40 AM

The US is seen as a nation of war mongering terrorists destroying the world.

Canada, Mexico and the rest of America is seen fondly

by Anonymousreply 73April 6, 2019 10:47 AM

R43 - I am not gainfully employed. I’m retired. Early and very comfortably. I don’t have a ‘boss’ and haven’t done for a very long time. But, if I did I would prefer they weren’t an illiterate, badly dressed bully.

TBH, your confusion of the term ‘leader’ with ‘boss’ reveals your serf mentality. But, you know...you do you.

by Anonymousreply 74April 6, 2019 10:55 AM

[quote] Oh and [the US] also won far and away the most Nobel Prizes, pretty spiffy for "learning disabilities."

Many of them were Eastern European Jews :).

[quote] As of 2017, Nobel Prizes have been awarded to 902 individuals, of whom 203 or 22.5% were Jews, although the total Jewish population comprises less than 0.2% of the world’s population. This means the percentage of Jewish Nobel laureates is at least 112.5 times or 11,250% above average.”

by Anonymousreply 75April 6, 2019 10:56 AM

The remedial-class Goyim in the US need to thank the genius Jews ;)

by Anonymousreply 76April 6, 2019 11:00 AM

R71 - Vancouver International Airport isn't some backwater regional airport - 25 million passengers last year (LAX 87 million). It's really not about 'hordes' of people, it's the overall experience. And the impression of USA airports is how very much the country is a police state.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 77April 6, 2019 4:37 PM

Nobody wants to attack Canada and blow shit up. The US airport experience is different for a reason.

by Anonymousreply 78April 6, 2019 5:00 PM

[quote] Vancouver International Airport isn't some backwater regional airport - 25 million passengers last year (LAX 87 million)

Vancouver Airport is not a backwater, but it's not a major international hub either, R77. Based on your own figures, LAX is 3.5 times busier.

There are plenty of crazy Europeans, etc who travel to LA to stalk Hollywood celebs. Or to smuggle drugs in their asses to "international party towns" (LA and Las Vegas). You don't get those HORDES as much up in Vancouver.

by Anonymousreply 79April 6, 2019 5:12 PM

R71 - one of the “HORDES” here. It’s nothing to do with the demographic of the people visiting US ports of entry. More to do with the demographic of the pig ignorant people your country employs to deal with the “HORDES”.

Your choice of that word says a lot of how you view these people - you work in LAX Immigration, right?

by Anonymousreply 80April 6, 2019 8:10 PM

This is a satire thread.

by Anonymousreply 81April 6, 2019 8:16 PM

Countries that were conquered and not colonized are only stepchildren of England. That's why the list is usually UK, Canada, U.S., Australia and New Zealand. Other countries, like Ireland and South Africa were influenced by the British, but the Irish and South Africans and others are distinctly different from the main group.

by Anonymousreply 82April 7, 2019 12:47 AM

[quote]More to do with the demographic of the pig ignorant people your country employs to deal with the “HORDES”.

Yeah, we all know what you're really saying.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 83April 7, 2019 1:07 AM

Some people refer to it as the Anglosphere.

by Anonymousreply 84April 7, 2019 1:10 AM

R82, Bermuda, Bahamas, India, Pakistan, Burma, Malaysia, etc. Former British [italic]colonies.[/italic]

by Anonymousreply 85April 7, 2019 1:15 AM

Why are the British-colonized countries in the New World so "first-world" with a high standard of living, yet the Spanish-colonized countries in the Americas such basket cases? Was it Protestantism vs. Catholicism?

by Anonymousreply 86April 7, 2019 1:19 AM

r85, they may have been colonies, but other than Bermuda, they were not colonized and populated like the big 4 were with British people.

by Anonymousreply 87April 7, 2019 1:31 AM

[quote]Bermuda, Bahamas,

... come on pretty mama!

by Anonymousreply 88April 7, 2019 4:58 PM

I'm moving to Antartica

by Anonymousreply 89April 7, 2019 7:52 PM

Loofahs and poufs are the way to go.

by Anonymousreply 90April 7, 2019 8:02 PM

R86, that doesn't explain Canada, which is a majority Catholic country.

British colonization of America involved moving large populations of its citizens across the Atlantic to establish permanent settlements in the New World and transforming the land into a collection of British-type townships, which were British in culture and character. They were successful in establishing lucrative settlements that grew into large, self-sustaining countries.

The Spanish, however, were more interested in exploiting natural resources and converting the "savages" to Christianity. They established trading posts far and wide and relied on the local populace for labor. They had trouble getting enough of its citizens to settle these parts, so comandante-generales and local families established encomiendas that enslaved native populations; thus establishing an enduring legacy of rich families controlling most of the land and wealth.

by Anonymousreply 91April 7, 2019 9:27 PM

British men didn't intermarry with the indigenous women, like the Spanish men did.

by Anonymousreply 92April 7, 2019 9:30 PM

Well, this thread has introduced me to the Five Eyes, of which I had never heard before, so I'm grateful for that. I decided not to take offense at some of the comments about America and Americans, since none of you know me personally. If I were going to say there's a parent country, it's the UK, with the Queen as the head of state. I still see her as the pole star who sets the example for all us English-speaking people. When I mention my respect for her, people here on DL sometimes jeer at me, but I don't care. She's been the only continuing figure of respect in my (rather long) life. And yes, my respect for her is very real, and I'm going to need DLs help to get through the first few days when she finally dies. I'll be sobbing.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 93April 7, 2019 11:08 PM

American here who has nothing but respect and admiration for the Queen. She's weathered so many monumental changes in society and she's done a beautiful job of it.

by Anonymousreply 94April 7, 2019 11:22 PM

[quote]If I were going to say there's a parent country, it's the UK, with the Queen as the head of state. I still see her as the pole star who sets the example for all us English-speaking people.

The United States fought a war to be free of all British control. We don’t acknowledge the Queen as anything except irrelevant.

Countries like Canada just rolled over and still have to keep the old Hag’s picture on their money.

by Anonymousreply 95April 8, 2019 12:35 AM

Malta.

We see the USA as arrogant and loud... And ignorant of other countries.

by Anonymousreply 96April 8, 2019 12:38 AM

R93 do yourself a favor and don't ever say that in Ireland.

by Anonymousreply 97April 8, 2019 12:45 AM

Congratulations on starting your first thread, Pres. Trump!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 98April 8, 2019 1:18 AM

[quote]that doesn't explain Canada, which is a majority Catholic country

Huh? I've never heard that in my life.

by Anonymousreply 99April 8, 2019 2:48 AM

Here are the statistics, with a brief history prior to the 1800's

The best part, in my opinion is that 'no religion' comes in at second place at 24% (2011), and probably higher in 2019

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 100April 8, 2019 4:10 AM

R86, I've wondered that myself.

The contrast between the prominent "New World" colonies (America, Australia, Canada, New Zealand vs. Latin America (Mexico, Central America, South America — with Chile and Argentina being the most borderline successful) is so stark.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 101April 8, 2019 3:53 PM

Success of colonies has nothing to do with culture. Please. It's just an IQ thing, more or less. Not a judgment — just saying that culture isn't going to determine economic success.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 102April 8, 2019 3:57 PM

Catholics have more kids, greater poverty.

by Anonymousreply 103April 8, 2019 6:37 PM

R101 your map ranks Libya and Venezuala high up on the HDI. Laughable!

by Anonymousreply 104April 8, 2019 6:41 PM

r100 r91 "Majority" means more than 50%. Catholicism in Canada is at 38.7%, so --- no.

by Anonymousreply 105April 8, 2019 7:28 PM

R105 - There's a current phenomenon occurring there, where atheism is now a big factour skewing the statistics. . But, if you where to go back a few decades, Catholicism has been the majority religion in Canada. Unlike Jews, where 50% of them don't believe in the existence of God, they still see themselves as Jews. Roman Catholics don't do that. Personally, myself and my three siblings all grew up Catholic in Canada. . We're all atheists now - and there are hundreds of thousands like us.

by Anonymousreply 106April 8, 2019 8:35 PM

Italy, Spain and France are all majority Catholic and they have a very high standard of living, so it can't be just Catholicism as a factor.

by Anonymousreply 107April 8, 2019 8:48 PM

Queen’s Land.

by Anonymousreply 108November 27, 2019 10:15 PM

Although the OP is a low-level troll, the thought that any other Anglophone colonial country has anything to feel much superior about is laughable.

I think New Zealand has the best record out of them, but Canada and Australia are nowhere near the left-wing paradises they tout themselves as and White South Africa can eat a bowl of shit and fuck itself with the spoon.

by Anonymousreply 109November 27, 2019 10:22 PM

I think it’s Climate/temperate that makes for a successful country.

by Anonymousreply 110November 28, 2019 1:57 AM

I love non-native English Europeans who learn to speak English with a British accent. It’s so cute.

by Anonymousreply 111November 28, 2019 1:58 AM

Interestingly I think Ireland thought of themselves as almost a part of US, one step removed. Speaking as American born son of Irish immigrants who spends lots of time there. But with their success and the descent into craziness of US, I think they have created their own separate identity.

by Anonymousreply 112November 28, 2019 2:54 AM

I’m sure glad this isn’t an obvious troll thread.

by Anonymousreply 113November 28, 2019 3:53 AM

The US was easier to colonize than South America because over 40% of the land is uninhabitable. The Great Plains, the Rocky Mountains, the deserts kept native population lower than in lush South America.

by Anonymousreply 114November 28, 2019 4:01 AM

[quote] Why are the British-colonized countries in the New World so "first-world" with a high standard of living, yet the Spanish-colonized countries in the Americas such basket cases?

Because the US constantly ,y intervenes to keep Latin American countries poor. First, the US doesn’t want their population to see a successful socialist society in this hemisphere because capitalism. Second, we don’t want a country equally as powerful as ours (or more powerful) in this hemisphere. So we destabilize those countries, interfere in their elections, assassinate their leaders, install rich families that will do our bidding.

by Anonymousreply 115November 28, 2019 4:18 AM

r115, based on the example of Venezuela, and well, all the rest of them, South Americans are quite capable of fucking up their own countries without any assistance from their northern neighbor.

by Anonymousreply 116November 28, 2019 4:28 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!