Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Have you ever gone to work when high?

What happened? Did your co-workers or worse, boss, know? What were you on?

by Anonymousreply 46April 5, 2019 6:24 AM

Years ago, when I was in college and worked retail in the evenings I think I went to work stoned a couple times. But it made me paranoid so I only did it a few times. I'm a lawyer now so, no, it wouldn't be a good career move for me nowadays.

by Anonymousreply 1April 4, 2019 2:41 PM

I work in a creative field, so there are times when getting a bit baked really helps me in my work, especially if I'm doing some writing or reviewing new creative work from someone on my team.

by Anonymousreply 2April 4, 2019 2:46 PM

People on the creative side of:

Advertising

Film making

Theater

Visual arts

Music industry

do it all the time

by Anonymousreply 3April 4, 2019 2:49 PM

Just that one time.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4April 4, 2019 2:51 PM

Yes, I work in retail management and I work at a store that is frequented by obnoxious Trumptards who think The Enquirer is a real news source. Yes, I wake and bake.

by Anonymousreply 5April 4, 2019 2:51 PM

Back when I was 17 and working at Haagen-Dazs, my coworker and I smoked a joint in the back room before opening the store. It wasn’t as fun as I thought it would be. I was paranoid and tired.

by Anonymousreply 6April 4, 2019 2:53 PM

The first time I did LSD, I went to my junior English class, where we were discussing Hamlet. I thought my teacher was the ghost, so I walked out of the room.

by Anonymousreply 7April 4, 2019 3:01 PM

Wait. What?

by Anonymousreply 8April 4, 2019 3:02 PM

Yes, and I was a hedge fund accountant.

by Anonymousreply 9April 4, 2019 3:05 PM

One of my college jobs was as an overnight clerk for Borders. There were 3 of us. Two needy straight guys and me. We were allowed the security code to leave the store twice during the night, ostensibly to smoke cigs, but we were really getting stoned.

Good times, especially since we didn't have to deal with bosses or customers.

Receiving inventory, shelving books, and changing out displays was hardly rocket science, so bring baked wasn't an issue.

I also used to sick one of them off in the bathroom, but that's more of a slut story than a stoner story.

I'm a teacher now, so no way would I ever do it now. Plus I just don't enjoy weed anymore. Makes me anxious and paranoid now.

Ah, youth.

by Anonymousreply 10April 4, 2019 3:09 PM

^Nerdy not needy.

by Anonymousreply 11April 4, 2019 3:10 PM

Umm, no. It’s highly unprofessional.

by Anonymousreply 12April 4, 2019 3:12 PM

When I was in my 20s and working in retail, I went to work once when I was coming down from a coke bender. I was probably still a little high.

Shit job, shit experience.

And I stopped using coke years ago.

by Anonymousreply 13April 4, 2019 3:15 PM

[quote]I just don't enjoy weed anymore. Makes me anxious and paranoid now.

It always made me feel this way. I hate it.

by Anonymousreply 14April 4, 2019 3:16 PM

Me too, R14. I *WISH* I liked it. Unfortunately, the only drug I've ever really loved happened to be opiates and I'm too much of a wuss to even think about doing those.

by Anonymousreply 15April 4, 2019 3:29 PM

Went over to a colleague's for lunch. We smoke hash, then have lunch. In the middle of a righteous high and tasty lunch, I notice a huge fish tank thru the open door of his bedroom. What are those colourful creatures? Piranhas. Mild-mannered tech writer keeps a huge fucking tank of piranhas in his bedroom. I FREAK!! He sees the better part of wisdom to get me out of his flat and back to work. I'm sitting at my work desk mumbling "the guy's got fucking piranha in his bedroom" when my boss walks over to ask me something. I look at my boss, scream "HE"S GOT FUCKING PIRAHNA IN HIS BEDROOM!!", walk out of the office and head home.

It wasn't the first time I'd gone to work stoned. But it sure was the last! (And surprisingly enough, I wasn't sacked.)

by Anonymousreply 16April 4, 2019 3:39 PM

I've gotten high every morning since Trump was elected. It beats drinking in the morning or killing myself.

by Anonymousreply 17April 4, 2019 3:42 PM

Ive gone to work high, but its kind of pointless, because If I have to do anything that really requires concentration the buzz gets suppressed so its a waste of weed.

by Anonymousreply 18April 4, 2019 3:43 PM

[Quote] The first time I did LSD, I went to my junior English class, where we were discussing Hamlet. I thought my teacher was the ghost, so I walked out of the room.

LOL

by Anonymousreply 19April 4, 2019 3:43 PM

I realized a friend was getting too deep into meth when he said it was a drug he could do each morning and go to work (he's a lawyer).

by Anonymousreply 20April 4, 2019 3:50 PM

I'm guessing everyday if you work at Buzzfeed.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 21April 4, 2019 3:55 PM

No, that's never happened to me.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 22April 4, 2019 4:09 PM

I went to work drunk, and yes, my co-worker noticed immediately.

by Anonymousreply 23April 4, 2019 4:14 PM

No. I've never sold at work either.

by Anonymousreply 24April 4, 2019 4:16 PM

r23 = Judy Garland

by Anonymousreply 25April 4, 2019 4:21 PM

R16 has the best story so far.

by Anonymousreply 26April 4, 2019 4:25 PM

I'm very flattered, as Judy Garland is my all-time favourite performer (no, I'm not a gay man, I'm a lesbian and I happen to find 1940s Judy very cute).

by Anonymousreply 27April 4, 2019 4:28 PM

If you count drunk, then ... yes.

by Anonymousreply 28April 4, 2019 4:45 PM

I went to my typing class high as a kite when I was about 16. I got confused and thought I was the keyboard player for the Rolling Stones and started playing Midnight Rambler on the typewriter. And yes the teacher did notice.

by Anonymousreply 29April 4, 2019 4:46 PM

Yes, coke. No one knew.

by Anonymousreply 30April 4, 2019 5:28 PM

Yeah, many times when I worked at a real estate office my bosses were all very cool and would even let me smoke a joint at my desk late in the evening after we knew no customers would pop in or meetings take place. Things began to get out of hand when they started doing coke and drinking Johnny walker on Fridays it turned into everyday and then strippers started stopping by at the office. One night they asked me to go with them and gave me a ton of dollar bills, they were so loaded and it made me see them in a different light. As much as I liked them and being able to smoke I felt like it was turning into a downward spiral. After I quit I found out the company they worked so hard to build was gone.

Now, I’ll smoke half a joint here and there while walking my dog, Mr. Puffington.

by Anonymousreply 31April 4, 2019 5:59 PM

I smoke weed every day but never at work. I couldn't function at my job high. Just adderoll for me during the work day. Wheeee!

by Anonymousreply 32April 4, 2019 6:03 PM

[quote] Just adderoll for me during the work day.

It's not helping, dear.

by Anonymousreply 33April 4, 2019 6:03 PM

When I was a teen, I once went to work after a night of tripping on acid. I thought it would have worn off by then, but no. It was a call center and I don't remember much, but it was awful.

In my 20s I would occasionally come in after partying all night and sometimes take speed to get through my shift. I rarely did coke, but I was coming off coke once and making all kinds of snappy remarks. I'm pretty quiet and introverted when sober so I think some of my colleagues knew something was up. Oh yeah, we used to go for beers on our lunch break sometimes too. Those were the days...

by Anonymousreply 34April 4, 2019 8:20 PM

When I was working 12 hour shifts at restaurants, I used to take Benadryl throughout the night just to keep me mellow. Boring, I know.

by Anonymousreply 35April 4, 2019 10:48 PM

Yes, a few times on weed. Had a supervisor snap his fingers in my face and say “are you with me?”. Have no idea how I kept that job.

by Anonymousreply 36April 5, 2019 1:20 AM

R16 has me rolling, and now I have the undeniable urge to do the very thing he did.

by Anonymousreply 37April 5, 2019 1:23 AM

Every day for years. The days flew by, but weed gives me a lot of energy and focus.

But one day, I woke up and didn't need/ want it anymore. Haven't smoked since.

by Anonymousreply 38April 5, 2019 1:27 AM

I came to work drunk several times and my boss pulled me aside and wanted to know if everything was ok. I don't think he really cared, as he used to smoke pot at lunch.

by Anonymousreply 39April 5, 2019 2:01 AM

Many times. One of the weirder ones was after a cough-syrup binge (gotta get the dosing just right on that one). Went in to work the next day after being at a rave until 3am. For some reason my vision was all messed up - all the computer screen pixels were super bright and it was like looking at the sun. Left early that day.

by Anonymousreply 40April 5, 2019 2:33 AM

I took a new kind of edible at 10:00pm and it didn't hit me full force until 2:00am when I thought I was going to die. I woke up at 6:00 am and had to go to work and was totally high until about 2pm. I laid low and thankfully didn't have any meetings but I was WAY fucked up! No more late night edibles for me.

by Anonymousreply 41April 5, 2019 2:46 AM

I have Vicodin from some dental procedure that I keep in my backpack. I took one for the hell of it one day but it made me stupid.

by Anonymousreply 42April 5, 2019 3:08 AM

God, yes.

by Anonymousreply 43April 5, 2019 3:12 AM

I guess it is true that substances totally affect people differently, I have never gotten paranoid from weed nor do I get the munchies. When I smoke, I am more energetic, can focus easier, and I actually eat less.

The best time, though, was when I went to my creative writing class drunk, in fact I was still drinking through out the class, I had a Starbucks Hot Chocolate spiked with Southern Comfort. The professor decided we each had to write a short story in class, and I got the highest grade.

by Anonymousreply 44April 5, 2019 3:18 AM

I used to teach in a high school and so many of us took 1mg of Xanax to get us through the last class of the day.

by Anonymousreply 45April 5, 2019 3:24 AM

In one job, I used to smoke some weed while pn my lunch break with some of my coworkers. I had to return to my customer service job in a small office with six people, one of whom would also be high. It could be hard to keep myself together.

On another job I would frequently be high on Vicodin during the day, I kinda miss it.

by Anonymousreply 46April 5, 2019 6:24 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!