Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Montgomery Clift's Sex Life

Libby's Holman was a washed up mediocre club singer and a wannabe talent best known for murdering her wealthy husband, Zachary Smith Reynolds heir to the R. J. Reynolds Tobacco Company. She met Monty around 1942 when she decided to revive her ailing career in theatre. According to the Patricia Bosworth biography at that time Monty was a fresh-faced 22 year old who only drank milk, she was almost 40 and desperately wanted him, mainly because he was an incredible beauty and an exceptional talent— something she could never be. Photos of Libby, some with Monty from the late 40s to early 50s (the duration of their relationship) show her to be extremely unattractive, prune-skinned and almost looks like she has down syndrome. I find it hard to believe he would have a intimate sexual relationship with this unappealing woman but turned down Elizabeth Taylor who was considered one of the most stunningly beautiful women of that era? It doesn't make sense. Both the Bosworth and Robert LaGuardia biographies teeter between bisexual and homosexual, but if he was bisexual why would he not sleep with her? Every guy in Hollywood and beyond wanted a piece of Liz so why not? He professed to love her and found her arousing (which for some reason was a surprise to him) so what happened? And why go to the extent of cruelly taunting her in such a way by leading her on only to flaunt his male lovers in her face and make a mockery of her love for him?

Is it possible he stayed with Libby because 1) she supplied him with endless drugs 2) His domineering, obsessive, control-freak mother 'Sunny' despised her, hence Monty used her for petty annoyance to get back at mum? Although it's not entirely clear when Monty started taking hard drugs or where he got them from I have no doubt it was Libby who introduced him to cocaine, opioids and tranquillisers. She was a bitterly jealous woman, especially of young attractive women who would buzz around Monty non-stop so of course she would need some way to rule over him.

Also in the biographies according to Brooks (Monty's hot mess of a brother) claims Monty couldn't be gay because he got two girls pregnant, but the bio's don't seem to go into any depth about these alleged pregnancies, it almost seems like it's glossed over entirely, which is strange given that they mentioned numerous times how Monty sincerely wanted children and a traditional family. The only other account is by "Rick" one of Monty's lovers who said one day Monty came to borrow a large sum of money from him said to him one of his girlfriend's was pregnant, but Rick never felt the need to ask questions just handed over the money.

Both biographies were great reads I thoroughly enjoyed them and definitely recommend if you're into old Hollywood and gossip. But I really want to know more information about Monty's male lovers something the bio's didn't really dive into, for obvious reasons. Roddy McDowall, why was Monty so cruel to him, what could he have done to deserve such scorn? And did he really attempt suicide after their breakup? Jerome Robbins, did Monty really break-off with him because his movie career was taking off or because of his involvement with the House Committee of Unamerican Activities? Jack Larson, Kevin McCarthy, did Monty have a thing for the McCarthy's, specifically Kevin? there's a home movie clip of him giving Kevin an aggressive Eskimo kiss.... and the others. If anyone has any information, tidbits, theories and speculations please share.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 124May 14, 2021 12:42 AM

Monty and Kevin

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1April 1, 2019 8:39 PM

It is very well known that Monty Clift had a micro penis. I think he was a 2 incher at best.

by Anonymousreply 2April 1, 2019 9:06 PM

Wow, hostile feelings for Libby holman? She was actually a very interesting/ beautiful in her way woman who lead an amazing life. SHe didnt kill Smith Reynolds.......

.His closest boyhood friend, Libby, and Smith had hosted a party at the Reynolds mansion in NC one hot summer night in the early 30s. It was prohibition and smith was 21 at the time.

Smith Reynolds had been threatening suicide off and on for a few years and had instant manic mood changes and depression. He also loved guns and had one with him at all times and slept with one under a pillow. At the time of his death his gun of choice in their bedroom had a hair trigger and he had accidently shot it off a few times, once almost hitting LIbby in the eye. The Reynolds mansion was so large that he would fire the gun in the house and the servants would ignore it as it was such a frequent occurance/

On the night of the death, Llibby was blind drunk and had passed out earlier. She rallied around later in the evening. Ab Walker, Smiths long time exremely close friend was blind drunk as well but was sobering up. It was about 1 00 in the morning. Smith and Libby were arguing in the beddroom.Smith pulled out his gun and started waiving it around threatening to kill himself again. Ab came into the room and made a grab for the gun and it discharged hitting Smith Reynolds. At first they didnt think the shot was life threatening. They carried Smith down the stairs and out of the mansion and put him in the back seat of the car. They drove to the smith families private physicians house a few miles away to try to keep it out of the press. The dr took one look at Smith and ordered them to take him to the emergency room. Smith died a few hours later too far gone to save/ It was an accidental death.

Libby eventually settled for a small portion of smith s estate. She was about 6 weeks pregnant at the time of his death and had her baby Christopher Reynolds. He got a larger share of his fathers estate. WHen he was 16 or so LIbby allowed Christopher to go mountain climbing in California and he and his private school close friend were killed in a mountain climbing accident. Libby never really was the same after.

In the years after SMith s death she kept a low profile and occasionally performed her musical acts. SHe built a fabulous estate in greenwich conn and hosted an annual spring garden party in which she opened up the estate which was planted with millions of daffodils. This event is still ongoing to this day every tho LIbby died in 1971. SHe donated the estate to a university. It was on about 110 acres and most of the land has been donated and is now a private park and hiking area.

Libby went on to marry 2 more times. She had a boyfriend around 1940 that was a movie actor and extremely good looking and much younger,Phillips Holmes. Phillips died in a plane accident during ww2. Libby married Phillips brother a few yers after who was also extremely attractive, Ralph Holmes. The marriage lasted a few years and then they became estranged. While in his NYC apt, Ralph committed suicide by overdose. His body wasnt discovered for several days. THus LIbby was a widow twice before she hit 40.

Libby had a penchant for much younger extremely attractive, sexually ambiguous/confused young men. Thus next came along Monty Clift. Monty was hugely damaged goods with a horrible drug and alcohol problem. He was on the road to self desctruciton before he even met Libby. They were extremely close. Monty had a thing for much older mother types. The extent of how sexual it was is debatable. A couple different movies were based somewhat on libby s life. One was written on the wind another was Reckless starring Jean Harlow.

As a final note, LIbby was also bisexual and had several female relationships. One was with Louisia Carpenter, heir to the Du Pont fortune. They were together immediately after Reynolds death for several years/

by Anonymousreply 3April 1, 2019 11:26 PM

R3 I didn't say she killed her husband however the controversy around his death is what she is best known for, not her dull singing or acting. She was controlling, manipulative and possessive. Jeanne Green, one of Monty's friends said when she came to New York to help him renovate his brownstone they would stay over at Libby's, Jeanne wasn't allowed to be alone with Monty and she felt uncomfortable. Libby lurked around and would spring up on them out of nowhere, if that wasn't weird enough Monty would get up in the middle of conversation and wonder off with Libby without saying a word to Jeanne. In a bizarre encounter Jeanne described how one time Libby came home unexpectedly and Monty's behaviour suddenly tensed and he proceeded to grovel on the floor at Libby's feet throwing overzealous adoration towards her. She definitely had him wrapped around her little hag finger. Monty wasn't abusing drugs or alcohol when he first met Libby and he wasn't on a downward spiral at that point, he was quite "innocent" in his thinking early on as he hadn't experienced much "real life" since he lived a sheltered childhood and adolescence. As I said before I have no doubt she introduced him to all that nasty stuff, she was an alcoholic and junkie abuser herself, she needed to keep him in a constant stupor it was the only way she could control him. Her treatment of Monty and enabling his drug use was disgusting, at least his other friends and lovers attempted to get him help. She was unbothered, the only time she got involved in his wellbeing was then he had his car accident. Later on in his life when his mind and body started to decay and he was struggling with severe forgetfulness she would mock him for it. Once his mind, body and face had become broken she was no longer interested in him. If this is how she could treat someone like Monty I can only imagine how she treated the other men in her life. She was vile and ugly inside and out.

by Anonymousreply 4April 2, 2019 2:59 AM

Libby was one of the biggest stars on Broadway in the late 1920's. The Producer of Hacksaw Ridge, David Permut is making a film about Libby.

by Anonymousreply 5April 2, 2019 3:55 AM

I used to be so in love with him. I didn't know he was gay, or even that I was, but I understood that if we were somehow magically transported to the same bed together, semen would happen.

The only time I ever paid for a hooker was when I first got on AOL, and a guy was advertising who said he looked like Monty. He didn't—one of the smoothest bodies you could hope for—but he provided excellent, generous, mind-and-body-blowing sex. He looked more like James Franco (who at the time, had yet to happen).

Anyway, this guy (Jason) is who I think of when "sex" and "Montgomery Clift" are mentioned in the same sentence.

by Anonymousreply 6April 2, 2019 4:24 AM

Libby Holman may not have been drop dead gorgeous, but she wasn't ugly either. She had a glamorous aura about her, especially when singing those torch songs, and wearing strapless dresses, which she helped popularize despite them being a bit risqué back in her heyday.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7April 2, 2019 4:27 AM

Hairy backed manic depressive suicidal alcoholics hung like hamsters. My cuppa.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8April 2, 2019 6:01 AM

I didn't say she killed her husband however the controversy around his death is what she is best known for, not her dull singing or acting.

Oh come off of it. Your wording CLEARLY was meant to suggest she murdered him:

[quote]Libby's Holman was a washed up mediocre club singer and a wannabe talent best known for murdering her wealthy husband, Zachary Smith Reynolds heir to the R. J. Reynolds Tobacco Company.

Don't piss on our legs and tell us it's raining.

by Anonymousreply 9April 2, 2019 6:38 AM

R8 That pics been edited. The original has From Here to Eternity Director Fred Zinnemann standing in-between Marlon and Monty. Monty looks a little peeved because Marlon sneaked in a finger. Look at the smirk on Marlon's face lol.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10April 2, 2019 3:24 PM

Did Marlon and Monty ever make it? I read somewhere Monty got on Marlon's notorious bike and they rode off into the night. And one time they dared each other to run naked through Times Square or something.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11April 2, 2019 3:36 PM

Shame James Dean and Monty never went at it. That would have been so hot.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12April 2, 2019 3:41 PM

Hair or no hair he was a hot piece

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13April 2, 2019 3:52 PM

Yum

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 14April 2, 2019 3:55 PM

Too small for my taste but he was very handsome and a good actor.

by Anonymousreply 15April 2, 2019 3:56 PM

Nice hairy thigh's

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16April 2, 2019 4:05 PM

And pecs

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17April 2, 2019 4:14 PM

Has anyone seen the 2018 documentary "Making Montgomery Clift"?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18April 2, 2019 4:16 PM

Philips Holmes was George in An American Tragedy, based on the Dreiser novel, which was later remade as A Place in the Sun. At least two films were based on the Holman case: Reckless, with Harlow, and Written on the Wind, with Hudson, one of the people who assisted Clidt at the car accident

by Anonymousreply 19April 2, 2019 4:33 PM

R18, it is playing at the Andy Warhol Museum (Pittsburgh) on April 19. A must see.

by Anonymousreply 20April 2, 2019 4:40 PM

Did libby holman live at Hilltop estate in Stamford,ct? I think i read her bio years ago

by Anonymousreply 21April 2, 2019 10:07 PM

R2, do we know this for a fact, or is this just another Kenneth Anger fabrication?

by Anonymousreply 22April 3, 2019 2:07 AM

Not R2 here, but I, never heard the 2 inches specifically. Seem to remember that La Anger wrote that M"s moniker was Princess Tinymeat (what a devil Ken is with the words).

R21, isn't it Treetops?

FWIW, Phillips Holmes was also in a car accident-- in his 20s--in which his passenger Mae Clarke, Cagney's grapefruit girl, sustained facial injuries that required plastic surgery. She sued Holmes, but dropped it when he paid her bills. Not sure if drinking was involved. Sounds like anyone who palled around with Libby should have worn a suit of armor.

by Anonymousreply 23April 3, 2019 3:56 AM

According to Debbie Reynolds' bio Unsinkable, Taylor did have sex with Clift at one point.

by Anonymousreply 24April 3, 2019 10:33 PM

OP, please learn the difference between possessive and plural, and when to leave out an apostrophe.

by Anonymousreply 25May 20, 2019 7:02 PM

Depressive and depressing. That's how I see him.

by Anonymousreply 26May 20, 2019 7:06 PM

never realized Monty was so thin. He looks almost anorexic in OP's pic

by Anonymousreply 27May 20, 2019 7:07 PM

Was he bottom?

by Anonymousreply 28May 20, 2019 7:09 PM

Imagine how thin he was in real life, then. Though the arms are not scrawny. Langella, in his bitchy Dropped Names, writes about carrying a passed out Clift. Clift contracted some amoeba when he traveled to Mexico as a young man, and I'm not sure if he ever got rid of that.

by Anonymousreply 29May 20, 2019 8:47 PM

Not sure how reliable the Princess Tinymeat story is - the rumor seemed to start around the time of Kenneth Anger's Hollywood Babylon book and Anger wasn't exactly know to be 100% truthful. Not to mention he was known to be vindictive as well. Clift did seem to get around though. My great-uncle who had worked in Hollywood as "security" - basically watching after actors for the studios and getting them out of trouble when they got into it - had said there were a few times when Clift didn't show up at the studio on time and when he went to collect him, Clift was sometimes hung over from the night before as well as having male visitors still hanging around (as my great-uncle described them, looking like they were "street trade").

by Anonymousreply 30May 20, 2019 11:49 PM

TL;DR

Learn about brevity

by Anonymousreply 31May 20, 2019 11:54 PM

Can't read one paragraph? What are you - a millennial?

by Anonymousreply 32May 21, 2019 2:57 AM

Thanks for the recommendations; will check out the books and documentary.

by Anonymousreply 33May 21, 2019 3:33 AM

His brother Brooks Clift fathered a child with legendary Kim Stanley.

by Anonymousreply 34May 21, 2019 7:21 AM

I always thought R16’s pic was one of the best, sexiest of Monty.

by Anonymousreply 35May 21, 2019 7:39 AM

Indeed. Shoots Delon out of the water. Love the glute glimpse.

by Anonymousreply 36May 21, 2019 12:20 PM

Wow. OP made Clift seem absolutely pathetic and quite boring. Kinda squalid also.

by Anonymousreply 37May 21, 2019 1:04 PM

Never got the montgomery clift is sexy thing. I actually think he is really really ugly! Weak chin, acne scars. Weak looking, almost sickly.

Given that this thread is almost 2 months old and has fewer than 40 posts, i would guess many DLers agree......

by Anonymousreply 38May 21, 2019 3:51 PM

What's the story about Clift and Roddy McDowell?

by Anonymousreply 39May 21, 2019 4:00 PM

What IS the story about Clift and Roddy McDowell?

by Anonymousreply 40May 23, 2019 7:51 PM

R38 who do you think is handsome?

by Anonymousreply 41May 23, 2019 9:19 PM

Clift was a brilliant actor in front of a camera but, by all accounts, an absolute mess of a human being otherwise. He also had horrible stomach problems, intestinal stuff. Colitis, I believe. Or diverticulitis. So, not sure that being a bottom would have worked out well for him. I wonder how "messy" THAT became? After his accident, he was a slow suicide. Always drugged up or drunk. Well, not always but most of the time. His film work dwindled down to next to nothing, and then nothing. The stories about his personal life are shocking, tragic and sad. Friends like Liz got him roles. He was treated like shit by Mankiewicz during the filming of Suddenly Last Summer. So much so that Katharine Hepburn spit in Mankiewicz's face on the last day of filming because of it. He never had a healthy relationship in his life, even though several people loved him and tried to help him.

by Anonymousreply 42May 23, 2019 9:44 PM

R38, you is right.

by Anonymousreply 43May 23, 2019 9:55 PM

In a MC biography I read many years ago Kevin McCarthy offered a remembrance of the time he and Monty were together in some city and Kevin lost track of Monty at one point. He tracked him down to a nearby gay seedy establishment. He went in looking for him and finally found him, on the floor, naked, with a group of men standing around him masturbating on him.

by Anonymousreply 44May 23, 2019 10:01 PM

So his life was not just tragedy and unremitting gloom -- thanks r44

by Anonymousreply 45May 23, 2019 10:13 PM

monty loved men to cum on him, many storys of him at bars, naked, with dozens of men cumin on him. wild

by Anonymousreply 46May 23, 2019 10:35 PM

On radio's "The Big Broadcast" Tallulah Bankhead was asked the whereabouts of Libby Holman. Tallu replied "she's between murders."

by Anonymousreply 47May 23, 2019 10:44 PM

There were competing biographies of Montgomery Clift around 1979-80. I think the “Princess Tinymeat” legend started in one of those books.

by Anonymousreply 48May 23, 2019 10:55 PM

R41 chris pratt, paul ryan, tom cotton

by Anonymousreply 49May 23, 2019 10:57 PM

Fuck this OP for maligning Libby Holman. “Dull singer”! Bullshit.

by Anonymousreply 50May 23, 2019 10:57 PM

R48 I think it was already used in Hollywood Babylon, which I read in the 60s (I was 2).

by Anonymousreply 51May 23, 2019 11:00 PM

[quote]found him, on the floor, naked, with a group of men standing around him masturbating on him.

No one could say Monty didn’t know how to have a good time!

by Anonymousreply 52May 23, 2019 11:21 PM

Corey Cott should play him. They are almost twins.

by Anonymousreply 53May 23, 2019 11:38 PM

R41, of all time? Marlon Brando till he got old and fat. Gregory Peck at 40, sean Connery at 40, Warren Beatty at 30. Sylvester Stallone, when he's seducing Talia Shire in the first Rocky. Steve McQueen in the Great Escape.

Haven't even thought about the most stunning of athletes yet.

R38.

by Anonymousreply 54May 25, 2019 3:00 AM

Did you ever see the home movie of young Clift and Brando where they're camping it up? On YouTube. Also, the Brando screentest, where he's about 22? Dazzling

by Anonymousreply 55May 25, 2019 3:26 AM

WHAT IS THE STORY ABOUT CLIFT AND RODDY McDOWALL???

by Anonymousreply 56May 25, 2019 5:55 AM

R56, they were boyfriends for a time.

by Anonymousreply 57May 25, 2019 5:57 AM

[post redacted because linking to dailymail.co.uk clearly indicates that the poster is either a troll or an idiot (probably both, honestly.) Our advice is that you just ignore this poster but whatever you do, don't click on any link to this putrid rag.]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 58May 25, 2019 9:38 AM

R57 and Roddy was said to be a Big Boy.

by Anonymousreply 59May 25, 2019 2:13 PM

Monty was fine with anonymous bukake, but I imagine loved-up Roddy McDowall, showing him affection, fucked with his self-loathing mind.

by Anonymousreply 60May 25, 2019 8:38 PM

Monty could probably have been helped by microdoses of LSD or psilocybin, rather than the megadoses of pills and drink that we know were his favourites

by Anonymousreply 61May 26, 2019 4:42 AM

If I had to describe Montgomery Clift in one sentence, it'd be: "He was given all of life's gifts, and pissed them all away".

He really was, and he really did. He was given beauty, talent and the opportunity to make the most of his talents, intelligence, people who loved him, all the social advantages of coming from a "good family", friends, success, critical appreciation, etc. And all he did with his gifts is to drown them in alcohol and drugs.

by Anonymousreply 62May 26, 2019 6:45 AM

Ok here is what I have herd and read. Monty was 100% gay! Not bi! Not bi-curious! GAY!! They said he was so beautiful that he could seduce any man he wanted even straight men were enchanted by his beauty, which is extremely rare for a gay man to get a strong sexual attraction and such an attention from a straight men like that. Also, it has been well known that Monty had an abnormally tiny penis. Monty went to court to sue some tabloid who revealed that fact ,and Monty was furious saying, has no one have any decency to keep at least some things private any more? He didn't want it to be known. Also, in one biography the author said Monty's father walked in on Monty having sex with a man and walking out in a very fem way and speaking in a very fairy way saying, hi paaaa paaa. His father was disgusted and left.

Sorry, I don't buy Debbie Reynolds's account that Liz Taylor had a thing with Monty especially in front of everyone. Also, I don't buy he had a thing with Libby either. Monty adored Andrew McCarthy's wife and he said, if was straight I would steal you from your husband and marry you.They always make it like there was no such thing as a gay person in Hollywood. Bi yes, gay no such thing. Its so stupid. BTW, Liz Taylor said we were extremely close like a brother and sister and that was it.

Its just like Mamie Van Doran saying in her autobiography that Rock Hudson had an affair with her? What a complete load of crap! What a bimbo!

This is all Frau wishful thinking.

by Anonymousreply 63May 26, 2019 10:44 AM

This is R63, I meant to say, Kevin McCarthy. BTW, Monty's love of his life was Kevin McCarthy who was a man he could never have.

BTW, apparently Monty had so many pills in his bathroom that he had a floor to ceiling cabinet crammed with pills. Also, its new to me that Monty came from a well to do background. I have heard his family struggled, but some way some how his mother found a way to get Monty the best of everything. Again, they said it was really weird how his mother got those things being broke as they were. Monty's mother said, oh, my son always loved the boys a lot. I think there was some one on DL one time who claimed Monty was mentally ill like bi-polar or schizophrenic to the point he had out of control behavior. Monty introduced Liz Taylor to using drugs. She complained she was tired on the set "A Place in The Sun" and he handed her a pill and he said take this you will feel great. One moment she was a rag doll and the next she had endless energy.

by Anonymousreply 64May 26, 2019 11:03 AM

Liz Taylor was a desperate and sad woman who could not bear to not have a man, any man, with her at all times. She would beg her male friends who were visiting her home to stay with her until she fell asleep at night because she couldn't bear to be without a man near her. She was a hag who collected fags like she did jewelry. She liked the homos because they showed her adoration and she didn't have to worry about them trying to take sexual advantage of her.

by Anonymousreply 65May 26, 2019 12:27 PM

I knew a theater queen who said he had an encounter with Clift in the 50s, in Italy, when Clift was filming "Indiscretions of an American Wife." (My guy was studying art there, on the GI bill.) He said Monty was a tender lover and, though not hung, was in no way "out of the ordinary." He also said that the two of them couldn't walk down the street without Clift's being accosted every minute by an Italian guy, most often a stunner. They usually first spoke to him on Italian, so either they really thought that, with his swarthy good looks, he was a paisan, or they were trying to be clever with the Movie Star. When I knew my friend he was something of a jaded cynic, but whenever he spoke of Monty, his voice grew soft.

by Anonymousreply 66May 26, 2019 5:11 PM

She's gonna go places and look life in the face, r3!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 67May 26, 2019 5:22 PM

"Written on the Wind " was also based on the Holman Reynolds case. Dot Malone does a memorable mambo. Got her the Oscar°.

by Anonymousreply 68May 26, 2019 5:32 PM

His nickname in Hollywood was Monty Clit.

by Anonymousreply 69May 26, 2019 5:33 PM

Her nickname was Lez

by Anonymousreply 70May 26, 2019 5:36 PM

Libby was ugly as hell and she looks like a man that's why he was with her.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 71May 26, 2019 5:51 PM

She got uglier as she got older of course she had to keep him drugged up.

by Anonymousreply 72May 26, 2019 5:52 PM

Both Libby Holman and Montgomery Clift were homosexuals. Despite marriages, murders, rumors of affairs with the other sex - they were both primarily gay. Now put those together as close pals, OP, it makes more sense.

Debbie Reynolds and Kevin McCarthy are not good sources for Clift - they both generally lie like hell about others and about themselves. Debbie probably thinks she was doing Clift's image a favor by mentioning an "affair" with Elizabeth Taylor. Brooks Clift latched on to the bisexual label for Monty when it became popular for the same reason. All bullshit. Now re-read my first paragraph.

by Anonymousreply 73May 26, 2019 5:55 PM

Mambo-ing to an Oscar!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 74May 26, 2019 5:55 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 75May 26, 2019 5:58 PM

R74 Rock is thinking, "Get me the hell out of this "Groundhog Day"! Doesn't this sweaty bitch know I'm gay, FFS?"

by Anonymousreply 76May 26, 2019 6:04 PM

If Monty was so concerned about his tiny meat he sure had no problem getting naked around the pool in front of other guest. Also if you believe Scotty Bowers he was really picky about the trades sizemeat, not too big, not too small. Everything had to be the right size. Maybe that's why he treated Roddy like trash, apparently Roddy was packing. Jealous queen?

1:26 Roddy's bulge. 1:40 Roddy's Partner 'Ed' hot as hell.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 77May 26, 2019 6:21 PM

Roddy moved to New York to be closer to Monty, after the breakup he attempted suicide then shacked up with Merv Griffin. Roddy also had a short-lived affair with Marlon Brando. Not sure if this was before/after or during... could be another reason why Monty treated Roddy like crap. Anne Lincoln a girl Monty was dating also attempted suicide after their breakup. She tried to get back at Monty by sleeping with his brother and Marlon. Monty was furious when he found out.

by Anonymousreply 78May 26, 2019 6:35 PM

R30

by Anonymousreply 79May 26, 2019 6:37 PM

Hit post then completely forgot what I was going to write/ask. Must be as hung-over as Monty!

by Anonymousreply 80May 26, 2019 6:39 PM

Jack Larson was a really cutie when he was young.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 81May 26, 2019 6:48 PM

Nice fit body.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 82May 26, 2019 6:50 PM

Jack Larson was Jimmy Olsen in the TV Superman with George Reeves.

by Anonymousreply 83May 26, 2019 6:52 PM

Jack's been involved in some weird ass stories. George Reeves mysterious death. The story he told about finding Monty crying on the floor and how he casually went back to sit by pool until Monty showed up later was strange. If Monty was his lover/friend why didn't he attempt to comfort him in some way? Isn't that what you're supposed to do? No, just leave them their crying?? Also that story about a deranged marine/sailor guy who tried to murder him seemed a bit wacky as well.

by Anonymousreply 84May 26, 2019 7:03 PM

R64, Monty's dad, Bill, was Vice President of Omaha National Trust, while his mom, Sunny, was an adopted child whose real parents came from prominent Yankee families. Though they refused to acknowledge her, Sunny's lifelong quest was to be recognized as a blueblood and raised her children to be such. With her husband's money, she spirited the kids away to Europe to be privately tutored in French, German, and all things the well-to-do studied. But Bill went broke during the Crash and ensuing Depression, and Sunny and the kids returned to America. The Clifts must've recovered nicely because brother Brooks went on to Harvard, while sister Ethel went to Bryn Mawr. Monty, who was always the delicate, pretty one, became a child model before pursuing a career in theater, under the mentorship of Lunt and Fontanne.

by Anonymousreply 85May 26, 2019 7:07 PM

R66 did your friend have any other stories?

by Anonymousreply 86May 26, 2019 7:10 PM

R60 His first male lover 'Josh' was an aspiring actor he met at the gym around 1939/40 they were going together for roughly two years until he was drafted.

Quote from Josh "when we were alone it was like Monty and I were shut away from reality for a couple of hours. It was a disorientating experience. Alone we would be emotional and passionate but outside we had to hide our feelings. Naturally we felt guilty about what we were doing but we couldn't help ourselves. We were violently attracted to each other and knew we had fallen in love."

Seems he had no problems with man-on-man affection up until this point before the drugs and booze took over.

by Anonymousreply 87May 26, 2019 7:32 PM

Tennessee Williams said Monty hated him because he was so open about being gay whereas Monty wasn't and that he didn't want him anyway because he wasn't attractive lol. Monty had no issues with Truman Capote though....

by Anonymousreply 88May 26, 2019 7:37 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 89May 26, 2019 7:40 PM

How come Monty didn't fight in WW2? Did he swish around in front of the draft board?

by Anonymousreply 90May 26, 2019 7:51 PM

I think he had something chronic. NOT bone spurs

by Anonymousreply 91May 26, 2019 10:53 PM

Yes, Monty had chronic colitis as well has having suffered long-term effects from dysentery and an under-active thyroid .

by Anonymousreply 92May 27, 2019 12:06 AM

So in the days before colonoscopy, he would have died of colon cancer? Colitus/Crohns patients are much more likely to get cancer than non-sufferers.

by Anonymousreply 93May 27, 2019 12:21 AM

Monty's Colonoscopy would not be a bad band name, even if not historically accurate as the technology was not available in his lifetime

by Anonymousreply 94May 27, 2019 12:38 AM

When young Monty Clift was appearing in "There Shall Be No Night" with the Lunts on Broadway, he was carrying on rather indiscreetly with some of the boys in the troupe, namely Bill LeMassena, who would end up being one of his few life-long friend. Alarmed by his apprentice's indiscretions, Alfred Lunt advised Monty to quickly find himself a girl and hide behind the respectabilty of marriage, just as he himself had done with the older Lynn Fontanne. Obviously, Monty never found the right girl, but it might explain why he ever bothered to try to have a romantic relationship with Libby Holman.

by Anonymousreply 95May 27, 2019 12:58 AM

Photos of Bill LeMassena, especially in clinging swimwear, would be helpful, r95, but thank you nonetheless.

by Anonymousreply 96May 27, 2019 1:08 AM

"Monty really wanted to love women, but he was sexually attracted to men."

by Anonymousreply 97May 27, 2019 1:30 AM

Monty played soldiers in a large percentage of his films

The Big Lift

The Search

From Here to Eternity

The Young Lions

by Anonymousreply 98May 27, 2019 1:46 AM

R96, Can't help you with that, but here's a headshot of Bill LeMassena way back when. Not a bad looking guy in his youth.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 99May 27, 2019 5:16 AM

Amd here's a letter from Monty to Bill.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 100May 27, 2019 5:18 AM

That letter from Monty is actually pretty charming and has good punctuation, R100!

If you read about Monty’s life you you’d think the man never had one cohesive, straight train of thought in his life (no pun intended!)

Why’d he have to end up being such a fuck up?!? Sigh...

by Anonymousreply 101May 27, 2019 9:57 AM

Was Billy a homo? From that letter sounds like they had fallen out?

by Anonymousreply 102May 27, 2019 3:09 PM

Here’s LaMassena as Heavenly Friend in CAROUSEL. Looks like he got caught checking out Gordon MacRae's meaty phat ass.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 103May 27, 2019 3:18 PM

"I knew right away he was addicted to little boys. It shocked me and I told him so, and I said it would weaken him artistically. His father was furious. 'how can a son of mine stoop to this?' he asked. He said I was entirely too gentle on the matter." — Sunny

Some documentary (not sure if it was the current one by Cliff's nephew) but they tried to paint the Mother "Sunny" as being progressive and ahead of the time with her views on gays when clearly from the quote above that's not true at all she basically accused him of being a pedophile. Is it any wonder he was so messed up.

by Anonymousreply 104May 27, 2019 3:25 PM

R87 'Josh' has a romantic description of life in the closet "when we were alone it was like Monty and I were shut away from reality for a couple of hours. It was a disorientating experience. Alone we would be emotional and passionate but outside we had to hide our feelings. Naturally we felt guilty about what we were doing but we couldn't help ourselves". There was no choice about living openly gay then, so it's understandable, but it sounds like the drugs came for Monty to soothe his guilt at wanting to fuck men. After Josh he didn't pursue other romances, just basic sex, the pickiness, the bukake, the messiness are distancing tools, he couldn't resist gay sex, but he hated being gay. Perhaps Monty's home life with his mother , supremely concerned about social standing, invested Clift with a horror of not being the right thing. Other gay men of the time managed to not be cowed by societal pressure, Roddy McD for one, he didn't rock the boat but didn't live under a rock, nursing feelings of shame, either. It does terrible things to you if you are ashamed of what you are and Clift is the evidence.

by Anonymousreply 105May 27, 2019 3:57 PM

Bumping for more Monty

by Anonymousreply 106June 5, 2019 1:30 AM

When I was a teen in NYC I had a part-time job at the counter of an all-night diner on Lexington near 63rd Street (this was c.1962). There was this sort of frail, dark guy who came in fairly regularly at 2am and always ordered eggs sunny- side up, with well-done hashbrowns.. He was quiet, with a gaunt face and a sad, gentle voice , and somehow we started to have chats. All kinds of subjects. He was really smart. I think we got to talking because the place was so quiet at that hour.

After the second time, when he had left, a co-worker said to me, "You know who that is, don't you?" Then he told me that it was Montgomery Clift. Well, I was a cute dumb jock and didn't really follow movies, so that didn't mean much to me, one way or the other. He had introduced himself to me as "Monty," but that didn't ring any bells. He was just a really engaged, well-read guy. He waz also very funny. And deeply sad. Never made any moves on me.

After about a year, my school schedule changed, such that I had to quit that job. When I said goodbye to Monty, he looked kind of shaken and told me there was something he wanted to bring me from his place, which he said was nearby. When he came back in half an hour, he was carrying a package that contained a prop gun. He said it was from his movie "Red River" and that he wanted me to have it, as a remembrance. His voice shook a little. That was the last time I saw him. Just a few years later I read his obit. To my surprise, it hit me hard, right in the pit of my stomach.

by Anonymousreply 107June 5, 2019 8:34 AM

Lovely. Thx

by Anonymousreply 108June 5, 2019 10:27 AM

R107, do you still have it?

by Anonymousreply 109June 5, 2019 10:48 AM

R107, wow, I *love* your story! Very nicely written and one of the few stories/anecdotes I’ve ever read where Monty doesn’t come off like a psycho or an asshole (or total wacko) in his personal life.

(There were even stories about him referring to random waiters at restaurants in L.A. as “Hey, fuckface!” during his Hollywood days and being a real jerk to them—which I found really upsetting...)

You are also a good writer, R107; it is very much appreciated. I really hope your story is true because it really cheered me up and touched me to read it...

by Anonymousreply 110June 5, 2019 11:06 AM

Hey R107, did Monty wear his rug at 2AM?

by Anonymousreply 111June 5, 2019 5:47 PM

BUMP!

by Anonymousreply 112June 10, 2019 2:59 AM

Montgomery Clift was truly a self-loathing gay. He hated being homosexual. His deep emotional attachments were with women, but he loved men for sex. He could never accept his homosexuality.

by Anonymousreply 113June 10, 2019 3:08 AM

Do you still have the prop gun r107!

by Anonymousreply 114June 10, 2019 3:31 AM

Say, R107, did the gun have an ivory handle?

You can see the gun from Red River in this clip.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 115June 10, 2019 3:32 AM

R114 I do indeed. And I prize it.

R107

by Anonymousreply 116June 10, 2019 5:23 AM

Cool, R116/R107; thanks for answering!!

by Anonymousreply 117June 10, 2019 9:09 AM

Clifts mother had an affair with a rich guy much of Monty s childhood and that person was very very generous with Sunny and he bankrolled sunny in her quest to raise her kids as princes and princess s. Monty s European/private school/skiing in st moritz/private tutors type lifestyle lasted most of his childhood. His mother was always trying to live like royalty so her secret biological fathers family would accept her and her kids............... as weird as that sounds. Sunny spent most of the kids growing up years somewhat estranged or at least not that close to her husband, and she was usually on a different continent. Her affair eventually ended and she spent the remainder of her life married to her husband.

by Anonymousreply 118June 10, 2019 9:53 PM

R107 He came in regularly, and you had a years worth of contact with him so you should have plenty of stories to tell, no? You say he was very funny?

by Anonymousreply 119June 11, 2019 12:48 AM

I guess the waiter who served Monty decided to leave everyone high and dry

by Anonymousreply 120July 2, 2019 5:04 AM

He was making it up. Trolldar him by ignoring him & reading his previous posts in this thread. They don’t add up...

by Anonymousreply 121July 2, 2019 5:19 AM

Sad, R121 :(

by Anonymousreply 122July 2, 2019 7:37 AM

R107 thanks for sharing

by Anonymousreply 123July 2, 2019 7:51 AM

Brando, Clift and Dean would have been the hottest threesome imaginable. James Dean idolized both Clift and Brando. You can tell he was imitating both in his acting style and he even nicknamed himself "Brando Clift" in letters he sent to people. Apparently Brando couldn't stand Dean after spending time with him and found Dean too clingy and stalkerish. It's rumored Dean and Brando had a sexual relationship and Dean fell hard for Brando who didn't want much to do with him. Monty Clift never met Dean because he found him weird. Apparently Dean stalked him too and tried contacting him many times.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 124May 14, 2021 12:42 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!